Showing 873 results

Authority record

Abraham Charles Flower

  • 1805-1896

Abraham Charles Flower (alias Richard Edwards) was transported as a convict to Sarah Island, Macquarie Harbour , Tasmania in 1830. He was one of three convicts converted to Quakerism by Backhouse and Walker. One convict, Henry Propsting, joined the Friends in 1836 and took a prominent part in Quaker activities, another went to Sydney as an assigned servant to James Backhouse, and the third, Flower, after a chequered career was last heard of near Castlemaine in Victoria.

Ackworth School

  • Corporate body
  • 1779 to present

Ackworth School is an independent school located in the village of High Ackworth, near Pontefract, West Yorkshire, England. It is one of eight Quaker Schools in England. The school was founded by John Fothergill and others in 1779 as a boarding school for Quaker boys and girls. Prior to the school's foundation, the buildings housed a foundling hospital created by Thomas Coram. For more informations see:

Adam Amos

  • Person
  • 1774 - 1845

Adam and his brother John were the eldest sons of James Amos and Helen (Nellie) Hoy who married at Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland in 1771. The brothers arrived with George Meredith aboard the 'Emerald' arriving in Van Diemen’s Land at Hobart town on March 17th 1821. The brothers settled on the east coast of Tasmania at Cranbrook. Adam was appointed in May 1822 to be the first District Constable of Swanport, acting also as coroner and pound keeper and by 1823 Adam and John between them owned around 1,700 acres. Within 10 years these lands had increased through further grants to 6400 acres (over 2500ha) comprising the present-day Cranbrook, Glen Heriot, Gala (at one time known as The Mill, then Gala Mill) and Glen Gala. Melrose was the name given to a square mile of the 2000-acre grant made to Adam in 1828. Adam Amos of "Glen Gala"

Adam Beveridge

  • Person

Adam Beveridge (1799-c1846), born Fifeshire, Scotland, arrived in VDL in 1824, with Robert Ralston, married his daughter Margaret Ralston (1805-1886) at Hobart Town in 1825. They lived in NSW and Launceston, VDL until at least 1843 when he became insolvent, went to Hong Kong and died c1846. His wife Margaret died at Launceston, Tasmania in 1886. Bought the "Supply Mill" in partnership with Robert Ralston in September 1828 principally tor the purpose of manufacturing Flour for exporation. he kept a store in Launceston, at which people could buy flour, meal and bran and also ship's biscuit. In 1829 he bought the small boat, the Maid of the Mill, to carry the flour to various spots on the Tamar.

Adam Turnbull

  • Person
  • 1803-1891

Adam Turnbull (1803-1891), medical practitioner, public servant and Presbyterian minister, was born on 4 November 1803 at Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, the eldest son of Dr Adam Turnbull. Adam Turnbull junior was educated at Edinburgh High School and obtained the degree of M.D. in that city before he was 21. He married Margaret, daughter of George Young, of Tolcross, Edinburgh. In 1824 the Colonial Office promised him a land grant in Van Diemen's Land, and with his wife and three brothers he arrived at Hobart Town in the City of Edinburgh on 13 April 1825. For more information see:

Adam Turnbull Taylor

  • Person
  • ?1855-1922

Adam Taylor was living in Mowbray Heights at the time of his death on 4/11/1922. He had two sisters and seven brothers – one of them William to whom this letter is written. He never married and had no children. His family had been in Tasmania since his grandfather George Taylor (1758-1828) emigrated to VDL in 1822 and received a land grant on the Macquarie River, which he named Valleyfield.

A.G. Webster & Sons

  • Corporate body
  • 1856-

In 1856 Alexander George Webster (1830-1914), who had arrived in Tasmania with his parents in 1839, took over the general merchant business of C.T. Smith and ran it for a few years in partnership with Mr Tabart until he aquired the sole interest. Later he took his sons Charles Ernest and Edwin Herbert into partnership as A.G. Webster & Sons. The business grew and in addition to general merchandise and trade in wool, grain and other produce the firm imported agricultural machinery and implements, windmills, pumps, boilers etc. and acted as agents for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company and the Sun Insurance Office of London. There were branches in Launceston and Devonport and agents in most towns.

For more information see

Alan Burn

  • 1889-1959

Born in Hobart in 1889, Alan Burn graduated in Engineering from the University of Tasmania, and worked for the Victorian State Rivers and Water Commission before winning a fellowship to study in Switzerland. After working in England in Aeronautical Inspection Department from 1916 - 1918, he returned to Tasmania where he was a Professor of Engineering from 1919-1956. His research topics included aerofoil theory, vortex wind tunnels, hydraulics, stress, and centrifugal and axial pumps.
One of the University’s best-known personalities, Burn was a clear thinker and first- rate lecturer who set high standards and encouraged his students, many of whom went on to eminent positions in engineering practice. He wasa Vice-Chancellor of UTAS 23.02.1945 – 25.08.1949. More information

Albert George Ogilvie

  • Person
  • 1890–1939

Albert George Ogilvie (1890-1939), premier, was born on 10 March 1890 at the Victoria Tavern, Hobart, son of James Ogilvie, publican (son of a convict smith), and his wife Kate, née McGee. Ogilvie attended Buckland's School in Hobart and St Patrick's College, Ballarat, Victoria. He afterwards retained some tie with the Catholic Church. In 1913 he completed a law degree at the University of Tasmania, showing ability as both scholar and athlete. After serving articles with N. K. Ewing, he was admitted to the Bar in 1914 and established a reputation for persuasion of juries in criminal cases.
Ogilvie advised trade unions, and entered Labor politics, winning the seat of Franklin in the House of Assembly in May 1919.
For more information see :

Alec Bolton

  • Person
  • 1926-1996

Alec Bolton worked as an editor with Angus and Robertson in Sydney and in London, with Ure Smith and as publisher to the National Library of Australia also as an editor on the Australian Encyclopaedia during the 1950s. For the last twenty years of his life he designed and handprinted books for his own small but renowned literary press, Brindabella. For more information see :

Alex Lachlan Williams

  • Person

Alex Lachlan Williams was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania on 20 April 1893. He set up practice in the Stone Buildings, Hobart, but about 1896 he moved to Queenstown. His family apparently had a store in Zeehan, which was leased and mortgaged when they moved to Hobart. Two of his brothers, Tasman Henry and Ernie, did some prospecting and mine share dealing, although letters suggest there was a depression in the Tasmanian West Coast mining business at that time. Alex Williams acted as agent for the Mount Lyell Reserve Mine shares and other mine share business. He also acted as solicitor for the Queenstown Council and for Burgess Brothers of Hobart. Much of the work of his Queenstown practice was in small debt recovery. In 1899 he sold out to Murdoch and Jones and, after working for a month or two in the Zeehan office settling outstanding business, he apparently moved to Melbourne and set up an office there. His mother's father, Owen Davis, lived at Whangaroa, New Zealand and wrote a letter in 1896 about prospects for lawyers there being good owing to the mine boom.

Alexander Cairnduff

  • Person
  • 1815-1880

Appointed religious instructor of a proposed labour depot in Hobart Town for Pentonville convicts. With his wife Margaret he sailed in the Sir George Seymour, arriving at Hobart in February 1845. The depot was not ready, so Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Eardley-Wilmot appointed him religious instructor at Port Arthur. In 1846 he was moved to the coal-mines probation station in February and to the station at Long Point, Maria Island, in August. Humble and humane of purpose, he scorned the futility of instructing convicts by 'dull mechanical routine' and governing them by 'blind, naked strength'. His enlightened methods won repute. In the Sir George Seymour 151 male adult convicts presented him with a thankful address for his care, and his methods attracted the attention of James Backhouse and George Washington Walker, who used his information to stoke the fires of reform in England. For more information see :

Alexander Cheyne

  • Person
  • 1785-1858

Alexander Cheyne (1785-1858), son of John Cheyne of Leith, Scotland, was a captain in the Royal Engineers. In 1834, after retiring from the army he emigrated to Australia and settled first in Western Australia put arrived in Hobart in December 1835 and became Director General of Roads and Bridges and in 1838 Director of Public Works. He was dismissed in 1848 partly owing to the personal animosity of the colonial secretary John Montague. He contracted to supply water to Launceston but suffered from' long delays in payment of bills by the Government. He then became supervisor of Launceston's. swamp draining but was injured and permanently lamed in a coach accident. In 1847 he was appointed director of Hobart Water Works but was dismissed in 1848. In 1852 he became assistant superintendent of road works.' . He was a Presbyterian, superintendent of the Sunday School and a friend of Rev. John Lillie and Dr. Adam Turnbull. for more information see :

Alexander Dawson

  • Person
  • 1856–1862

In 1843, Alexander Dawson was employed as a Foreman of Works by the Civil Branch of the Royal Engineers in Dover, England. In February 1844 he was posted to Van Diemen's Land, arriving in Hobart Tasmania, in October 1844. He served as a Senior Clerk of Works in the Office of the Ordnance and was involved in supervising various Military and Civil works in the colony. In 1848, Dawson was asked to design and supervise the construction of a 3 storey school house in the Gothic style. The High School was officially opened in January 1850 and eventually became the first building of the University of Tasmania. for more information see:

Alexander George Gurney

  • Person
  • 15 Mar 1902 - 4 Dec 1955

Alexander George Gurney (15 Mar 1902 - 4 Dec 1955), was an Australian cartoonist born in Morice Town, Devon, UK. After his father died in 1903, his mother (who was Australian) returned with him to Hobart, Tasmania, where she remarried. After leaving Macquarie Street State School at age 13, he served a seven year electrical apprenticeship with the Hydro-Electric Commission, studying art part-time in night classes at Hobart Technical School In 1939 he created the characters for which he became famous: Bluey and Curley, which first appeared in the "Picture-News" magazine then The Sun News-Pictorial in 1940 and syndicated throughout Australia, New Zealand and Canada. The strip, about a pair of soldiers. Was appreciated for the good-humoured way it depicted the Australian "digger" "mateship" and for its realistic us use of the Australian idiom. Alex visited army camps throughout
Australia and New Guinea to ensure authenticity. While in New - Guinea he contracted malaria and was incapacitated for some II time. The strip lost some of its appeal and readership when the pair returned to 'civvy' street. For more information see

Alexander George Webster

  • Person
  • 1830-1914

Alexander George Webster (1830-1914), merchant, was born on 3 December 1830 in London. He spent two years at Cape of Good Hope with his mother and sister before they sailed to Sydney in the Roxburgh Castle; they arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1840. Educated at the Melville Street school in Hobart Town and at a private boarding-school at Kempton, he was also a pupil of the artist Thomas Evans Chapman. Later, as an amateur he exhibited both water-colours and pencil drawings of the Tasmanian landscape.
At 14 Webster began work with Thomas Lowes, the Hobart auctioneer. He moved to Degraves Bros, who then combined sawmilling with the proprietorship of the Cascade Brewery, and in 1850 he joined the wool and grain store of C. T. Smith, his uncle. After Smith retired in 1856 Webster ran the business in partnership with his relation John Tabart, trading as Tabart and Webster. In 1879 after the retirement of Tabart Webster took his son Charles, into the business, which in 1888 became A.G. Webster & Son. The firm handled most of the Tasmanian wool business and Imported agricultural implements. The company was incorporated In 1910 and two other sons, Edwin and Arthur became dlrectors.
Webster was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Tasmania in 1865 and a member of its council in 1871; in 1905, as chairman, he read an address of welcome to the new governor Sir Gerald Strickland. He was also a justice of the peace, chairman of directors of the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co. and the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Co. of New Zealand, and chairman of the Perpetual Trustees Co. State trustee of the Tasmanian Museum and Botanical Gardens, Webster was also a master warden of the Marine Board, Hobart, and American consul in 1877-1907. He was a commissioner of fisheries; as chairman in 1903 he visited the Baird Hatchery in California, from where he successfully supervised the dispatch to Tasmania of some 500,000 Quinnat salmon ova.
He married Louisa Harriett Turnley at St David's Anglican Cathedral, Hobart, on 30 November 1859 they had eight children.

For more information see

Alexander Leicester McAulay

  • Person
  • 1895 - 1969

Professor A. L. McAulay (1895 - 1969), Professor of Physics 1927 - 1959 and formerly lecturer 1922 - 1926 and student assistant 1914 - 1916, was the son of Professor Alexander McAulay. He was educated at the Hutchins School, University of Tasmania (Bsc 1916), Cambridge University, (SA 1921, MA 1926), University of Manchester (PhD 1921) and the Cavendish Institute under Lord Rutherford. Under him the physics department grew into one of the most active in Australia. He undertook and directed research into a variety of topics, including particle physics, cosmic radiation and metal surface electrochemistry. His experiments were simple and aimed at the basic problems and his students learned to think carefully about the aims and underlying principles of their work. He was interested in biophysics. During the war he established an optics laboratory to supply prism and lenses for military equipment. for more information see :

Alexander Maconochie

  • Person
  • 1787-1860

Alexander Maconochie (11 February 1787 – 25 October 1860) was a Scottish naval officer, geographer, and penal reformer.
In 1840, Maconochie became the Governor of Norfolk Island, a prison island where convicts were treated with severe brutality and were seen as lost causes. Upon reaching the island, Maconochie immediately instituted policies that restored dignity to prisoners, achieving remarkable success in prisoner rehabilitation. These policies were well in advance of their time and Maconochie was politically undermined. His ideas would be largely ignored and forgotten, only to be readopted as the basis of modern penal systems over a century later in the mid to late 20th century. In 1836 he sailed to the convict settlement at Hobart in Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania) as private secretary to the Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Franklin. Here he wrote a report strongly critical of the state of prison discipline. The convict system, being fixated on punishment alone, released back into society crushed, resentful and bitter expirees, in whom the spark of enterprise and hope was dead. Maconochie's report “can be said to mark the peak and incipient decline of transportation to Australia” when it was given to Lord Russell, the Home Secretary and ardent critic of transportation, claims Robert Hughes. Although this report was used by the Molesworth Committee on transportation in 1837-38, the criticism of this work forced Franklin to dismiss him. For more information see

Alexander McGregor

  • Person
  • 1821-1896

Alexander McGregor (1821-1896), shipowner and merchant, and John Gibson McGregor (1830-1902) arrived in Tasmania from Scotland with their parents, James and Janet McGregor. The brothers served apprenticeships under a shipwright, John Watson, and then started building boats. Alexander acquired the Domain Shipyard in 1855 with his brother John as foreman, but sold out to his brother in 1869.
Alexander McGregor started the firm of McGregor, Piesse & Co., general merchants of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, with Charles A. Piesse. They bought ships for exporting whale oil, blue gum, timber and wool, known as the "Red Iron" fleet, and they had a warehouse in Salamanca Place. The partnership was dissolved in 1886, possibly because the firm was getting into debt through McGregor's speculating in land and mine ventures. In his last years Alexander McGregor speculated unwisely in various property and mine share deals and was involved in a number of legal actions. Alexander McGregor was a member of the Legislative Council 1880 - 1896.
In 1847 McGregor married Harriet Bayley (1829-1878), who gave her name to two of his ships, the "Hally Bayley" and the "Harriet McGregor", Harriet McGregor died in 1878 and Alexander married Margaret Pigdon about 1884. He had a house, Lenna, in Battery Point and other property. After his death his second wife Margaret (nee Pigdon) married agent Thomas Bennison.
For more information see

Alexander Russell Clark

  • Person
  • 1809-1894

Alexander Russell Clark was an engineer, who settled in Tasmania in 1833 and undertook contracts such as the Port Arthur water and tread corn mill, works at the coal mines and Launceston water works.His son, A.I. Clark served as an engineering apprentice with him, but turned to Law later. See:

Alfons Feuerle

  • Person
  • 1885-1962

Alfons Feuerle (1885-1962) was a medalist, jewelery artist and ivory plastic artist. After an apprenticeship as a steel engraver, he studied at the Munich School of Applied Arts under Fritz von Müller, Maximilian Dasio and Heinrich Waderé and at the Stuttgart Academy of Arts

Alfred Archer

  • Person

Alfred Archer was the son of William Archer (1789-1879) and his wife Caroline, of Brickendon, Tasmania.

Alfred Barrett Biggs

  • Person
  • 1825–1900

Alfred Barrett Biggs (1825-1900), teacher, bank officer, astronomer and inventor, was born on 10 April 1825 in London. He arrived in V.D.L. in 1833 with his family. In 1877 Biggs learned of the invention of the telephone. He then constructed a pair of telephones and had them connected between Launceston and Campbell Town, successfully transmitting sounds between the two locations. It has been claimed that this was the first telephone connection in Australia. He had an interest in astronomy and in 1879 he moved to Launceston and set up an observatory in Royal Park . Biggs was a diligent and pedantic observer and contributed reports to the local newspaper and from 1884 papers to the Royal Society of Tasmania, of which he was that year elected a fellow. He made observations and measurements of comets, double stars, eclipses and transits of Mercury and Venus (another transit of Venus occurred in 1882).
For more information see :

Alfred Harrap & Son

  • Corporate body
  • 1857-1968

Alfred Harrap & Son of Cameron Street, Launceston, began as grain merchants but diversified into woolbroking and shipping . Tamar River Boats was founded by Alfred Harrap (1820-1893) in 1857 transporting mining equipment and agricultural produce. In 1887 Harrap purchased the wool firm of W.T. Bell Ltd. In 1896 G.W. Valentine joined the firm under Alfred's son George Edward Harrap (1856-1937). Alfred Harrap & Son was bought by Roberts, Stewart & Co Ltd (later Roberts & Co Ltd) in 1967 For more information see:

Alfred James Gatehouse

  • Person
  • 1827-1862

Farmer of Nonsuch, Wattle Hill, Sorell. Son of Silus Gatehouse (1790-1855) and Harriet Hansford (1793-1838)

Alfred Joseph Taylor

  • Person
  • 1849-1921

Alfred Joseph Taylor (1849-1921), librarian and publicist, was born on 24 March 1849 in Hobart Town, son of Thomas Joseph Taylor and his wife Emma. His father, son of Rev. Thomas Taylor, Witney, Oxfordshire, England, was transported from Sydney in 1842 under a life sentence for forgery; in 1849 he was a schoolteacher but from 1853 served as under-keeper at the New Norfolk Hospital for the Insane, and died in 1881 aged 69. In New Norfolk as a child Alfred suffered an accident which crippled him for life. He received little formal education but enthusiasm for books won him a post as librarian at New Norfolk in his teens. In January 1874 he became librarian of the Tasmanian Public Library which had been constituted in 1870. The appointment caused some stir, but he held it until his death. For more information see:

Alfred May

  • Person
  • 1862-1948

Alfred May, otherwise known as Alf, who was the son of William May and lived most of his life on the property at Sandford to which he came with his family in 1874. The orchard on the property enjoyed a very good reputation, successfully exporting to London. Alf contributed to the hard work this entailed. He still found time to devote himself to other pursuits and discovered a very real artistic talent as can be seen in the examples of his bird paintings.

Alfred Stephens

  • Person
  • 1802–1894

Sir Alfred Stephen (1802-1894), chief justice and legislator, was born on 20 August 1802 at Basseterre, St Christopher (St Kitts), West Indies, fourth son of John Stephen and his wife Mary Anne, née Pasmore. Stephen arrived at Hobart on 24 January 1825 and on 9 May was made Solicitor-General, and 10 days later, crown solicitor. In 1829 Stephen discovered a fatal error in land titles throughout the Australian colonies. The matter was rectified by royal warrant and the issuing of fresh titles in 1830. In January 1833 Stephen was gazetted attorney-general and showed great industry and ability in the position. He resign in 1837 due to ill health.
For more information see:

Alfred Threlkeld Mayson

  • Person
  • 1839

Born Great Swanport V.D.L. on 13th September 1839 to Joseph Mayson, Cleric in Holy Orders, and Elizabeth Mayson nee Hickson. Married Elizabeth Amos (1845- )daughter of farmer John Amos and his wife Elizabeth Amos nee Hepburn. Elizabeth Amos and Alfred Threlkeld Mayson married on the 25th September 1862 in the dwelling house of her father, John Amos, at Glenherriot, Glamorgan (Swansea, Tasmania), she was just 17 years old. Alfred Threlkeld Mayson, 23 yrs old, registered his occupation as Council Clerk. They were married in the rites of the United Church of England and Ireland, by Joseph Mayson, Chaplain, Alfred Mayson’s father. Elizabeth Mayson gave birth to two children while married to Alfred T. Mayson: Vernon in 1863 and Marion in 1869.

Alfred Winter

  • Person
  • 1837-1911

Alfred Winter was a sketcher and professional photographer. He worked first in Melbourne, moving to Tasmania in 1869. For more information see :

Alice Daisy Baker

  • Person
  • 1888-1952

Tasmanian poet and writer on Tasmanian historical subjects. She wrote a number of plays which were broadcast over national stations, many poems and a history of the Catholic Women's Association in Tasmania. Baker was actively associated with child welfare work and was a member of the Hobart branch of the Country Women's Association.
For more information see obituary: The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954) Mon 20 Oct 1952 Page 7 Hobart Authoress, Mrs. Alice Baker, Dies

Amelia Lucy Wayn

  • Person
  • c1862 - 1951

Nurse, historical researcher, indexer, honorary archivist. In the 1920s Amelia was employed as an Indexer by John Moore-Robinson, Librarian-Publicity Officer in the Chief Secretary's Department and continued as Honorary Archivist until a permanent Archivist was appointed in the late 1940s. She gave valuable service in compiling an index to the contents of early Tasmanian newspapers up to about 1856, and also the inward and outward Government Despatches which were held in the Chief Secretary's Office.? She quickly became recognised as the authority on the historical records of the State and over the next 20 years, or so, she undertook work and provided replies for a wide range of researchers.? For more information see

Amos Family

  • Family
  • 1774 - 1864

The Amos family arrived in Tasmania in March 1821 aboard the Emerald, and were advised to look for land on the unsettled east coast. Adam's capital entitled him to a grant of 1000 acres (405 ha) which he located on the Swan River at Cranbrook, and called Gala. By 1824 his mill was supplying the district with flour, and five years later he had many other substantial improvements. For more information :

Andrew Clarke

  • Person
  • 1824 – 1902

Lieutenant General Sir Andrew Clarke, GCMG CB CIE (27 July 1824 – 29 March 1902) was a British soldier and governor, as well as a surveyor and politician in Australia. Clarke was the eldest of the four sons of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Andrew Clarke, the Governor of Western Australia (1793–1847). He sailed with the lieutenant-governor, Sir William Denison, aboard the Windermere and arrived at Hobart on 26 January 1847. For more information see:,_born_1824)

Andrew Crawford

  • Person
  • 1815–1899

Andrew Crawford (1815-1899), army officer and immigration promoter, was born on 23 January 1815 at Devonport, Plymouth, England, the third son of Andrew Crawford, naval officer, and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Linzee Penfold. At 18 he joined the East India Co. as an ensign and for thirty-eight years in India served in various regiments through many campaigns. In October 1867 the Tasmanian parliament passed An Act to amend the Immigration Act of 1855, and An Act to enable the Governor to Reserve Land for Settlement by Persons coming from India. The latter, to remain in force for three years but later extended, set aside 50,000 acres (20,234 ha) for Indian settlers. A committee known as Castra & Co. was set up in the Bombay Presidency and by 1876 Crawford had chosen for himself and other Anglo-Indians 9700 acres (3925 ha) at Castra. for more information see:

Andrew Downie

  • Person

Andrew Downie emigrated to Van Diemen's Land in 1822, arriving by the Skelton on 24 December 1822. He came of a Lowland farming family, but had been trained as a 'writer', or lawyer, by James Lucas of Stirling. Immediately on arrival in Van Diemen's Land he engaged himself as head shepherd to Thomas Wells, the owner of Allenvale in the Macquarie District. Thomas Wells was a cousin of Samuel Marsden, and had arrived in 1817 with Lieut.¬ Governor Sorell, to whom he was Private Secretary. Towards the end of 1823 Wells was in the Debtor's Gaol, but later became Accountant at the VDL Bank. Allenvale was sold to Major Thomas Fenton in 1820, and Wells died in 1833. By 1824 Downie had acquired some land of his own, by grant. This farm he called Thornhill, and during 1825 he cleared part of it and sowed crops, as well as running a flock of sheep. Early in 1826, in partner¬ship with Philip Russell, then of Dennistoun, he leased Col. Sorell's grant, Norton Mandeville, meanwhile leasing Thornhill to John Furener. The partnership with Philip Russell lasted until late 1836, and during this time Thornhill had been added to until it became the substantial property Glenelg at Gretna. The barns on Glenelg where built in 1833. In 1837 Andrew Downie returned to Scotland, where he married, and in August 1838 arrived back in Van Diemen's Land with his wife, and youngest brother, William. Another brother, Thomas had emigrated earlier, but he went to Port Phillip. Andrew Downie lived in Hobart Town, while William managed Glenelg. Later Andrew returned to Scotland, and when he died William inherited Glenelg.
The 1000 acres farming property, Glenelg at Gretna, was granted to Downie in 1824 by Governor Sorell and established the first merino flock. The property still in the Downie family today and still farming ultra fine merino fleece.

Andrew Gatenby

  • Person
  • 1771-1848

Andrew Gatenby (1771-1848), farmer, was born at Scarborough, Yorkshire, England. He married Hannah, née Maw, of Whitby, and leased Barton farm, near Whenby in the North Riding of Yorkshire, for some time before 1812 when he moved to Wales and occupied a farm, Talymaes Park, in Grwyne Fechan, Breconshire. Depressed farming conditions and a high rental caused him to emigrate to Van Diemen's Land, and he sailed with his family in the Berwick, arriving in Hobart Town in June 1823. Andrew was granted 1500 acres (607 ha) which he selected on the Pennyroyal Creek (Isis River) and named Barton. By 1825 the Gatenby family had erected a substantial flour-mill, using millstones they had brought with them to the colony, and cut a canal and banked a reservoir to supply the mill with water from the Isis River. This mill served the surrounding district for fifty years. They built the Barton homestead by 1828. For more information see:

Andrew Inglis Clark

  • Person
  • 1848-1907

A. I. Clark (1848 -1907), barrister, politician and judge was the youngest son of Alexander Russell Clark. After qualifying as an engineer he studied law and was called to the Bar in 1877.He practiced law and was for a time in partnership with Matthew Wilkes Simmons. However he was also a member of the House of Assembly 1878-1882 and 1887 - 1897 and was appointed Attorney General in 188~. Humanitarian and progressive, he introduced many reform bills. In 1898 he was appointed Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court and Senior Judge in 1901,and he was also Acting Governor in J. Stokell Dodds absence from the State in 1901, He was a,delegate to the Federal Councils of 1888. 1889. 1890. 1891 and 1894 and drafted a constitution based mainly on the Constitution of the U.S.A. Clark visited America in 1890 and 1897 and corresponded regularly with Oliver Wendell Holmes and other lawyers and Unitarians. Clark was an active member of debating and literary societies and was also interested in the Unitarian Church and he wrote many essays and speeches on political, philosophical and reliious topics. Few were published but many copies handwritten in exercise books were circulated among his friends.
A.I. Clark married in 1878 Grace Paterson Ross, daughter of John Ross, a Hobart shipbuilder. They had five sons: Alexander, a marine engineer; Andrew Inglis. another lawyer and judge: Conway, an architect; Wendell, a medical practitioner, and Carrell, Clerk to the House of Assembly. Another son, Melvin, died in infancy and there were two daughters, Ethel and Esma.

Ann Mather

  • Person
  • 1786-1831

Ann Mather (1786-1831) was the daughter of Rev. Joseph Benson (1749-1821), a prominent Methodist minister and friend of John Wesley. She married Robert Mather (c1782-1855)

Anna Maria Cotton

  • Person
  • 1800-1882

Anna Maria (nee Tilney) Cotton daughter of John Shelton Tilney of Chelmsford, shopkeeper, and his wife Susannah. Wife of Francis Cotton.

Anna Maria Mather

  • Person

Wife of Joseph Benson Mather

Anson Brothers

  • Corporate body
  • 1878 -1891

Anson Brothers (Henry, Richard & Joshua) had photographic studios in Liverpool, Collins, and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891. Joshua Anson was an apprentice of H.H. Bailey

Archdiocese of Hobart

  • Corporate body
  • 1842 - present

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hobart is a Latin Church archdiocese of the Catholic Church in Australia located in Hobart and covering Tasmania, Australia. Immediately subject to the Holy See, the area covered was initially administered by the Vicariate Apostolic of New Holland and Van Diemen's Land. In 1842, the Vicariate Apostolic of Hobart was erected; elevated as a Diocese a few weeks later; and as an Archdiocese in 1888. St Mary's Cathedral is the seat of the Catholic Archbishop of Hobart. for more information see:

Archibald Lawrence Meston

  • Person
  • 1890-1951

Archibald Lawrence Meston (1890-1951), educationist, historian and anthropologist, was born on 5 June 1890 at Launceston, Tasmania. His most important anthropological work was the discovery and description of the rock carvings at Mount Cameron West in 1933. Another major addition to the study of Tasmanian prehistory was his initiation of large-scale excavation in the shell midden at the South Cave, Rocky Cape. Meston's collection of implements and other Aboriginal relics is now housed in the Museum of Victoria; his library is the property of the City of Launceston. For more information see entry in Australian Dictionary of Biography

Archibald Macarthur

  • Person
  • -1847

In December 1821, when the secessionist United Associate Presbytery of Edinburgh received a request from Scottish Presbyterians in Van Diemen's Land for a minister, Macarthur volunteered, and was ordained on 22 January 1822 as a missionary minister in Dr John Jamieson's Secession Chapel, Nicholson Street, Edinburgh. Macarthur arrived in the "Skelton" at Hobart Town in December 1822, the first Presbyterian minister in Australia. Macarthur was active in the Hobart community; he also established the Van Diemen's Land Missionary Society and was associated with the Temperance, the Infant School and the Auxiliary Bible Societies. For more information see:

Archibald Sillars Hamilton

  • Person
  • 1819-1884

Archibald Sillars Hamilton, known professionally as 'AS', became one of the most famous phrenologists in colonial Australia. Born in or before 1819 in Ayrshire, Scotland, he grew up as phrenology reached a frenzy of popularity in his native country. His father, Edward Hamilton, was a muslin manufacturer, but it was the influence of his mother, the popular phrenologist Agnes Sillars Hamilton, that determined his future livelihood. Hamilton arrived in Launceston in November 1854, and over the next 30 years lectured and gave private readings across Tasmania, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and both of New Zealand’s islands. In 1854, a private customer of Hamilton’s could opt for either a description of their character with advice (3 shillings, 6 pence), a written sketch of character (5 shillings), or a detailed character reading with a phrenological chart (10 shillings). Hamilton was given the head of Ned Kelly after his death and he published an account of the skull's phrenology. Phrenologists believed that the exterior of the skull directly reflected the surface of the brain, which itself comprised a multitude of organs responsible for functions ranging from love of children to religiosity, concentration, and social sympathy. Hamilton was charged in 1860 in Maitland with inciting to exhume corpses from a burial ground. His target in that case was the skull of the Aboriginal man Jim Crow, executed a few months earlier. Hamilton’s collection of human remains was a powerful drawcard to his lectures. By the time of his death, he had amassed some 55 skulls or parts thereof – about 30 Aboriginal, four Maori, one 'Hindoo', one Chinese, and the rest European. He sourced them not only through grave-robbing, but also through gifts and trades within the networks he forged in each new town. Hamilton died in Redfern, Sydney, in 1884
See :

Archibald Thomson

  • Person
  • 1794-1865

Archibald Thomson was born in Edinburgh Scotland in 1794, the son of John Thomson and Marion Brown. Leaving Scotland in 1822 on the ship “Castle Forbes” he took up a land grant in Van Diemen’s Land. For more information see:

Arndell Neil Lewis

  • Person
  • 1897-1943

Arndell Neil Lewis (1897-1943) MC.,LLD., lawyer and geologist, was born at Symmons Plains, son of Sir Elliott Lewis. He was educated at Leslie House School (later called Clemes College) and the University of Tasmania. His studies were interrupted by the war of 1914-18 when he served with the A.LP and received the Military Cross for his part in the capture of the Hindenburg Line on 27 September 1918 and after the war he continued his military sevice with the Militia while studying. He graduated LLB. in 1922, LLM. in 1924 and was awarded the doctorate of laws (the first conferred in the University of Tasmania) in 1930. He entered his father's firm, Lewis, Hudspeth, Perkins and Dear, in 1924 and was Acting Professor of Law at the University in 1925. In 1927 he married Amy Hungerford; His chief interest was in geology, however, and he contributed many papers on geology to the Royal Society of Tasmania's Papers & Proceedings and was elected a vice-president of the Society and a trustee of the Tasmanian Museum and the Botanical Gardens. He was Lecturer in Geology of the University 1926-1931. For more information see

Arthur Edmund Risby

  • Person
  • 1857-1915

Arthur Edmund Risby was born at Battery Point, Hobart on the 6 March 1857 to Isabella Wilson and Joseph Edward Risby. He was one of three brothers who were partners in Risby Brothers Timber Merchants

Arthur Gordon Lyne

  • Person
  • 1919-1991

Arthur Gordon Lyne (1919-1991), graduated BSc at the University of Tasmania in 1950, PhD 1958 and DSc in 1974. His speciality was the study of skin and hair growth. After a short period of study at Cambridge University, he was research zoologist at the University of Tasmania 1952 - 1953 and then joined the CSIRO in NSW.

Arthur James Drysdale

  • Person
  • 1887-1971

A. J. Drysdale (1887-1971) was a business man - first as a traveling butcher, then he built up a motor car business with a Ford car agency which he sold in 1932. He bought Wrest Point in 1935 and built a luxury hotel, where he had planned a casino, and sold it in 1947. In 1954 he began the Tasmanian Lotteries, noted for their large prizes, which once included Hadley's Hotel, Hobart. Drysdale had polio when young and also suffered from failing sight. His daughter, Norah Bates, and son-in-law assisted with the business and (1971) held the business records.
More information see:

Arthur Knight

  • AU TAS UTAS ITCCD 2017/2
  • Person
  • 1928-1993

Arthur Charles Eagle Knight (1928-1993), was an engineer, amateur inventor, sailor, steam buff, photographer, motorist and bushwalker, who was active in many community and cultural organisations in Tasmania, living most of his adult life at Lindisfarne on the eastern shore of the Derwent River. He was born in Launceston to parents, Charles Eagle Leonard (Len) Knight, a surveyor, originally of Windermere Park, Claremont, and Dorothy Muriel (nee Hutchinson), originally of Logan, Bothwell, whose father, Rev. Arthur Hutchinson, was an Anglican Church minister. Arthur’s parents lived in several locations as his father surveyed many parts of Tasmania. Arthur attended school at Clemes College, Hobart, then enrolled at Launceston Church Grammar School, where he matriculated in 1947, before completing an engineering degree at the University of Tasmania in Hobart. He worked as a civil engineer and hydraulics engineer from the early 1950s, firstly with the Hobart City Council, then the Hydro-Electric Commission from 1962. Arthur met his future wife Margaret through the Hobart Walking Club, which he joined in 1948, and they married in 1957, raising three children. At Arthur's suggestion, the Hobart Walking Club advised the Tasmanian Government’s Scenic Preservation Board in 1954 that a reserve should be declared around Lake Pedder in the state's south-west, and the area was turned into a National Park in 1955. Arthur initiated a walker’s safety booklet, Safety in the Bush, first published by the Hobart Bushwalking Club, in 1962. Arthur owned a Kodak 35mm camera to take Kodak colour slide photographs during his many bushwalks and later purchased a Pentax SLR camera with wide angle and zoom lenses. Arthur was also involved in the Tasmanian Transport Museum, the Maritime Museum of Tasmania and the Veteran Car Club of Australia (Tasmania). He built his own boiler and steam engine, adapted from Victa motor mower parts, to power a former cray fishing boat, and in 1962 bought a Rolls-Royce for 500 pounds, which he restored and ran with the Veteran Car Club. In his retirement he contributed to academic journals on fluid dynamics and hydraulic engineering. Arthur was unrelated to the engineer Allan Walton Knight (1910-1998) the long-serving Commissioner of the Hydro-Electric Commission.

Arthur Leake

  • Person
  • 1814-1890

Fifth son of John and Elizabeth Leake (nee Bell) of Rosedale, near Campbell Town. Married Mary Turnbull nee Gellion in 1878

Ash Bester

  • 1932-2003

Ash Bester & Co was a Hobart pharmacy, photographic processor, souvenir and camera store that produced postcards from about 1940 to 1960. They produced the long A.B. series of black and white photographic print cards which numbered up to at least 669. A small series of similar photographic print cards was published using images from The Mercury newspaper, and a small series of coloured cards was produced in conjunction with Wally Green of Katoomba, NSW. The company also employed street photographers who operated under the name Tassie Photos, and produced photos which were printed on postcard paper.

Glynne Roy Bester (1907-1992), known as Bob, took over Ash’s pharmacy at 102 Elizabeth Street, Hobart in 1932, renaming it Ash, Bester & Co. He was qualified as a pharmacist and initially operated the business entirely as a pharmacy, but having an interest in photography he soon branched out into photographic processing and the sale of camera and photographic equipment. His son Jeffrey K. Bester (born 1934) also trained as a pharmacist and joined his father in the business in 1951. The business continued as a Hobart institution until it closed down in 2003. From :

Athur James Drysdale

  • Person
  • 1887-1971

A. J. Drysdale (1887-1971) was a business man - first as a traveling butcher, then he built up a motor car business with a Ford car agency (sold in 1932). He bought Wrest Point in 1935 and built a luxury hotel, where he had planned a casino, and sold it in 1947. In 1954 he began the Tasmanian Lotteries, noted for their large prizes, which once included Hadley's Hotel, Hobart. Drysdale had polio when young and also suffered from failing sight. His daughter, Norah Bates, and son-in-law assisted with the business and (1971) held the business records.
For more information see

Australian Cambridge Graduates

  • Corporate body
  • 1811-1948

List of Australians who graduated at Cambridge 1811-1948.

Australian Federation of University Women - Tasmania

  • 1918-

On 23 April 1918 the inaugural meeting of the Women's University Union Graduate Branch was held. That body affiliated in 1921 with the newly founded Australian Federation of University Women and assumed the title "Tasmanian Women Graduates' Association". The title changed in 1963 to the Tasmanian Association of University Women Graduates and in 1974 to "Australian Federation of University Women - Tasmania".
The Northern Branch was formed at an inaugural meeting on 19 June 1941 as a branch of the Tasmanian Women Graduates Association (as it was then called).
Australian Federation of University Women (Tasmania) Inc. (previous name, - 2009) now Australian Federation of Graduate Women (Tasmania)
As of 2010, Tasmanian membership of the Australian Federation of Graduate Women was being managed through the ACT branch.

Australian Labor Party

  • Corporate body
  • 1891 -

The Australian Labor Party has its origins in the Labour parties founded in the 1890s in the Australian colonies prior to federation. Labor tradition ascribes the founding of Queensland Labour to a meeting of striking pastoral workers under a ghost gum tree (the "Tree of Knowledge") in Barcaldine, Queensland in 1891. The Balmain, New South Wales branch of the party claims to be the oldest in Australia. Labour as a parliamentary party dates from 1891 in New South Wales and South Australia, 1893 in Queensland, and later in the other colonies.
For more information see :

Australian Mutual Provident Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1849-

The Australian Mutual Provident Society was formed in 1849 as a non-profit life insurance company and mutual society. In 1998, it was demutualised into an Australian public company, AMP Limited, and listed on the Australian and New Zealand stock exchanges.

Australian Quaker Narrative Embroidery Project

  • Corporate body

Inspired by the British Quaker Tapestry at Kendal, the Australian Quaker Narrative Embroidery Project seeks to provide a history of Australian Quakers. The first Steering Committee comprised 5 people: Verley Keliher, Frances Love, Cathy Davies, Garry Duncan and Barbara Huntington. Workshops were held in 2007, and the first panel began the following year. Designed and embroidered by Cathy Davies, it showed the arrival of the first Quaker to Australia, Sydney Parkinson, on the Endeavour with Banks and Cook. Although the project uses a similar format and font to the Quaker Tapestry in England, it has a distinctly Australian feel with the woollen fabric backing woven especially for the project from fine Australian woollen thread. Training in the methods and stitching is provided via regular workshops and summer schools, and Friends gather in Stitching Groups around the country to create the panels for the Friends in Stitches. At the time of the donation there were 24 completed panels. This project is ongoing.

Avon Maxwell Clark

  • 1918-1991

Professor Avon Maxwell Clark (1918-1991), AM. (1984), MSc. (Melb.), PhD.(Cantab.), DSc., Professor of Zoology 1960 - 1963 was Acting Vice-Chancellor during Professor K.S . Isle's absence overseas May - September 1963).

Baptist Chapel, Harrington Street, Hobart

  • Corporate body
  • 1841-1887

This chapel was opened on 21 March 1841 at the corner of Harrington and Goulburn Streets, by Rev. Henry Dowling, who arrived in Hobart in 1835 from Colchester, England. He established a Baptist congregation with chapels in Launceston (1840) and Hobart and was pastor at Launceston until his death in 1869. Ministers in Hobart were: Samuel Hewlett (until 1849), William R. Wade (c 1849-52), Kerr Johnston (c 1853 -1857), Dixon Davis (c 1858-60), Evan Jones (c 1874-1879), A. W. Grant (1879), Isaac H. Palfreyman (1883), Edwin Tucker (1884). The later ministers stayed only short periods and many were elderly. Dixon Davis died in 1861 attended by Dr. Crowther, and the accounts record the erection of a headstone on Evan Jones' grave (d. 1879). There were many periods without a minister, especially after 1860, when services were taken by members of the congregation, with occasional visits by Rev. Henry Dowling from Launceston, or later W. Clark from Perth. It is noticeable that the collection increased when Mr Dowling visited. About 1883 I. H. Palfreyman acted as minister for a short time but he later built an independent chapel in King Street, described as "non-denominational". Edwin Tucker served in 1885 but there was little money to support him. In 1884 Rev. R. McCullough, from Longford, had come to Hobart and established a new congregation, fIrst in the Exhibition Building, then in a temporary chapel in Elizabeth Street until the big new Tabernacle in Elizabeth Street was completed in 1887.

Barrie de Jersey

  • D11
  • Person
  • 1936-2007

Barrie de Jersey (1936-2007) was an Australian pianist, composer and teacher who studied music at the Conservatorium High School in Hobart, the University of Tasmania and the Mozarteum University in Salzburg. On his return to Hobart, he was one of the founding staff members of the Music Department at the University of Tasmania, and continued his interest in music in retirement by teaching at the University of the Third Age. He was also a painter and potter, making and selling work as early as 1974. His ceramic works are signed with an incised 'B de J'.

Beattie's Studios

  • C2018/1
  • Corporate body
  • 1891-

Beattie’s Studio is a photographic business founded by Scotsman John Watt Beattie, known professionally as J.W.Beattie (1859-1930), who began exhibiting photographs soon after his arrival in Tasmania in 1878.

Ben Ross

  • Person

Ben Ross is the director of the Oral History Company. ( He has documented stories for 25 years in family, community and corporate settings. He works as an independent radio producer, and has produced documentaries for ABC Radio, JJJ FM and community radio. He has a MA (Honours) from the University of Western Sydney for research into community story telling, and a Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism from the University of Tasmania. Ben also works for the Tasmanian Government, managing media campaigns, community engagement projects and producing health education resources. For more information see

Results 1 to 100 of 873