Showing 873 results

Authority record

William Jones

  • Person
  • 1853 - 1926

Mariner and trader active in the late 19th century between Tasmania, Western Australia, New Zealand and England. Born in Leicestershire, England. Migrated to Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) in 1860.

Oscar Henry Jones

  • Person
  • 25 June 1875-1960

Oscar Henry Jones (1875-1960), son of Henry Jones of Strathelie, Broadmarsh, was born on 25 June 1875, educated at Hutchins School and then articled to Butler, McIntyre and Butler, and was admitted to the Bar on 18 April 1898. He joined George Murdoch to form Murdoch and Jones and managed the Queenstown office (formerly Williams & Page) from April 1899. He was a member of the Queenstown Masonic Lodge, Mount Lyell, No. 24, T.C. He appears to have left the Queenstown office and returned to the Broadmarsh district about 1902 or 1903. Murdoch & Jones later took another partner, Charles D' Arcy Cuthbert, who had served articles with Murdoch and was admitted as solicitor on 15 Aug. 1900.

George Murdoch

  • Person

George Murdoch was admitted a barrister and solicitor on 3 November 1894 and set up practice in Hobart in the Stone Buildings. Like his partner, Oscar Jones, he seems to have had connections with the Broadmarsh district.

Alex Lachlan Williams

  • Person

Alex Lachlan Williams was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania on 20 April 1893. He set up practice in the Stone Buildings, Hobart, but about 1896 he moved to Queenstown. His family apparently had a store in Zeehan, which was leased and mortgaged when they moved to Hobart. Two of his brothers, Tasman Henry and Ernie, did some prospecting and mine share dealing, although letters suggest there was a depression in the Tasmanian West Coast mining business at that time. Alex Williams acted as agent for the Mount Lyell Reserve Mine shares and other mine share business. He also acted as solicitor for the Queenstown Council and for Burgess Brothers of Hobart. Much of the work of his Queenstown practice was in small debt recovery. In 1899 he sold out to Murdoch and Jones and, after working for a month or two in the Zeehan office settling outstanding business, he apparently moved to Melbourne and set up an office there. His mother's father, Owen Davis, lived at Whangaroa, New Zealand and wrote a letter in 1896 about prospects for lawyers there being good owing to the mine boom.

Ash Bester

  • 1932-2003

Ash Bester & Co was a Hobart pharmacy, photographic processor, souvenir and camera store that produced postcards from about 1940 to 1960. They produced the long A.B. series of black and white photographic print cards which numbered up to at least 669. A small series of similar photographic print cards was published using images from The Mercury newspaper, and a small series of coloured cards was produced in conjunction with Wally Green of Katoomba, NSW. The company also employed street photographers who operated under the name Tassie Photos, and produced photos which were printed on postcard paper.

Glynne Roy Bester (1907-1992), known as Bob, took over Ash’s pharmacy at 102 Elizabeth Street, Hobart in 1932, renaming it Ash, Bester & Co. He was qualified as a pharmacist and initially operated the business entirely as a pharmacy, but having an interest in photography he soon branched out into photographic processing and the sale of camera and photographic equipment. His son Jeffrey K. Bester (born 1934) also trained as a pharmacist and joined his father in the business in 1951. The business continued as a Hobart institution until it closed down in 2003. From :

Charles Page

  • Person
  • 1870-1949

Charles Service Page, second son of Alfred Page MLC, was articled to Hookey & Young of Hobart, admitted 30 October 1893 and entered into partnership with A.L Williams and opened a branch in Zeehan in 1897. He continued in the Zeehan office of Williams and Page after Williams sold his interests to Murdoch & Jones, who continued to act as Hobart agents, until he returned to Hobart about 1904 and set up practice in Collins Street. He later went into partnership with P.R. Seager. He was President of the Australian Natives Association (Hobart) 1907. He married Violet, daughter of William Burgess.

Creator (ISAD 3.2.1)

Example fonds Creator history (ISAD 3.2.2). Note that this will be added to the related authority record for Creator (ISAD 3.2.1).

William Archer

  • Person
  • 1820-1874

William Archer (1820-1874) the second son of Thomas Archer (1790-1850) of Woolmers, Longford, studied architecture in England and after returning to Van Diemen's Land, designed among other buildings, the Hutchins School in Hobart, Mona Vale, at Ross, and Saundridge, Cressy, as well as the East window of Christ Church, Longford. For some years he was secretary of the Royal Society of Tasmania, a Fellow of the Royal and Linnean Societies of England, and a keen botanist, named many Tasmanian plants and assisted
Dr. Hooker who dedicated to him and Ronald C. Gunn, his work on the flora of Tasmania. From 1856 until 1858, he lived in England and worked at the Herbarium, Kew Gardens, presenting the library with a book of his drawings of Tasmanian orchids and mosses. He was a leading member of the anti-transportation movement, and a member for Parliament at various times between his election for Westbury in 1851 and retirement in 1866. For may years he lived at Cheshunt, Deloraine. He died at Fairfield, Longford, in 1874.

Amos Family

  • Family
  • 1774 - 1864

The Amos family arrived in Tasmania in March 1821 aboard the Emerald, and were advised to look for land on the unsettled east coast. Adam's capital entitled him to a grant of 1000 acres (405 ha) which he located on the Swan River at Cranbrook, and called Gala. By 1824 his mill was supplying the district with flour, and five years later he had many other substantial improvements. For more information :

John Venn

  • 1834–1923

John Venn, a fellow and later president of Caius College, Cambridge

Grace Paterson Clark

  • Person

A.I. Clark married in 1878 Grace Paterson Ross, daughter of John Ross, a Hobart shipbuilder.
They had five sons: Alexander, a marine engineer; Andrew Inglis. another lawyer and judge:
Conway, an architect; Wendell, a medical practitioner, and Carrell, Clerk to the House of
Assembly. Another son, Melvin, died in infancy and there were two daughters, Ethel and Esma.

Baptist Chapel, Harrington Street, Hobart

  • Corporate body
  • 1841-1887

This chapel was opened on 21 March 1841 at the corner of Harrington and Goulburn Streets, by Rev. Henry Dowling, who arrived in Hobart in 1835 from Colchester, England. He established a Baptist congregation with chapels in Launceston (1840) and Hobart and was pastor at Launceston until his death in 1869. Ministers in Hobart were: Samuel Hewlett (until 1849), William R. Wade (c 1849-52), Kerr Johnston (c 1853 -1857), Dixon Davis (c 1858-60), Evan Jones (c 1874-1879), A. W. Grant (1879), Isaac H. Palfreyman (1883), Edwin Tucker (1884). The later ministers stayed only short periods and many were elderly. Dixon Davis died in 1861 attended by Dr. Crowther, and the accounts record the erection of a headstone on Evan Jones' grave (d. 1879). There were many periods without a minister, especially after 1860, when services were taken by members of the congregation, with occasional visits by Rev. Henry Dowling from Launceston, or later W. Clark from Perth. It is noticeable that the collection increased when Mr Dowling visited. About 1883 I. H. Palfreyman acted as minister for a short time but he later built an independent chapel in King Street, described as "non-denominational". Edwin Tucker served in 1885 but there was little money to support him. In 1884 Rev. R. McCullough, from Longford, had come to Hobart and established a new congregation, fIrst in the Exhibition Building, then in a temporary chapel in Elizabeth Street until the big new Tabernacle in Elizabeth Street was completed in 1887.

Ware Street Undenominational Mission

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-1941

A mission hall was opened in Ware Street (later Feltham Street) by a small band of workers. An evening service and Sunday school held every Sunday and a Christian Endeavour Society and other activities took place some evenings. Poor homes were visited and parcels of clothing, books, groceries, milk, eggs, vegetables, etc. given to the needy and small Christmas gifts for the children. Miss R. Livingstone was the Superintendent, Mrs. J.W. Hawkes treasurer and Mr and Mrs J.T. Soundy, R.J. Soundy, and others, regular helpers and teachers. Supporters included Clemes College, whose scholars gave a Christmas party for the children, Messrs. Gibson who donated bags of flour for distribution, Sandy
Bay Baptists, Rex Townley, etc.

South Hobart [Baptist organisations]

  • Corporate body
  • 1937-1988

South Hobart Mission 1937-1942
South Hobart Baptist Church 1944-
Women's Auxiliary, 1952-1977
Sunday School
Women's Fellowship

Smithton [Baptist Church]

  • Corporate body
  • c1942-1985

Last Church meeting (22 Feb 1985) concerned the amalgamation of two churches and resolved to form a management committee

Kings Meadows [Baptist Fellowship and Church]

  • Corporate body
  • 1953-1975

A Kings Meadows Baptist Fellowship was formed on 18 February 1963 and the church was constituted in October 1961, but was closed in December 1975

Alfred Archer

  • Person

Alfred Archer was the son of William Archer (1789-1879) and his wife Caroline, of Brickendon, Tasmania.

William Archer

  • Person
  • 1788-1879

William was the eldest son of William Archer of Hertfordshire. He arrived in Tasmania in 1821 on the ship Aguilar, where he settled at Brickendon - the second of the families two most famous homesteads - and began his farm with 30 merino sheep he had brought with him from England. He became a highly successful farmer and cooperated highly with his brother at neighbouring Woolmers. He was repeatedly asked to become a member of the Legislative Council but declined; he did however accept a position of Magistrate in 1835. During his life he became a noted anti-transportationist. He died on March 24, 1879. He was reported as leaving either three or four sons and one or two daughters, with his second son inheriting Brickendon and his first Saundridge.[16][17] His fourth son, G F Archer, became the Reverend of Torquay (modern Devonport).

Andrew Inglis Clark

  • Person
  • 1848-1907

A. I. Clark (1848 -1907), barrister, politician and judge was the youngest son of Alexander Russell Clark. After qualifying as an engineer he studied law and was called to the Bar in 1877.He practiced law and was for a time in partnership with Matthew Wilkes Simmons. However he was also a member of the House of Assembly 1878-1882 and 1887 - 1897 and was appointed Attorney General in 188~. Humanitarian and progressive, he introduced many reform bills. In 1898 he was appointed Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court and Senior Judge in 1901,and he was also Acting Governor in J. Stokell Dodds absence from the State in 1901, He was a,delegate to the Federal Councils of 1888. 1889. 1890. 1891 and 1894 and drafted a constitution based mainly on the Constitution of the U.S.A. Clark visited America in 1890 and 1897 and corresponded regularly with Oliver Wendell Holmes and other lawyers and Unitarians. Clark was an active member of debating and literary societies and was also interested in the Unitarian Church and he wrote many essays and speeches on political, philosophical and reliious topics. Few were published but many copies handwritten in exercise books were circulated among his friends.
A.I. Clark married in 1878 Grace Paterson Ross, daughter of John Ross, a Hobart shipbuilder. They had five sons: Alexander, a marine engineer; Andrew Inglis. another lawyer and judge: Conway, an architect; Wendell, a medical practitioner, and Carrell, Clerk to the House of Assembly. Another son, Melvin, died in infancy and there were two daughters, Ethel and Esma.

Alexander Russell Clark

  • Person
  • 1809-1894

Alexander Russell Clark was an engineer, who settled in Tasmania in 1833 and undertook contracts such as the Port Arthur water and tread corn mill, works at the coal mines and Launceston water works.His son, A.I. Clark served as an engineering apprentice with him, but turned to Law later. See:

Bolton Stafford Bird

  • Person
  • 1840-1924

Bolton Stafford Bird (1840-1924) was elected a member of the Tasmanian House of Assembly for Franklin in 1887, and served as Treasurer under P.O. Fysh until 1892, also acting as Postmaster General and Minister for Education. He represented Tasmania at the Federal Council of 1889 and the Federal Conventions of 1890 and 1891. From 1892 to 1894 he was Leader of the Opposition and Speaker from 1894-1897. He was again Treasurer 1899-1903. From 1909 until he retired in 1923 he was a member of the Legislative Council.

Stafford Bird was born at Hazlerigg, Northumberland, England, son of a schoolmaster Thomas Bird and his wife Ann (Stafford). His parents emigrated to Clunes, Victoria, in 1852. In 1865 Bird was admitted to the Wesleyan ministry, but changed to the Congregational Church in 1867 and was minister at Ballarat and Avoca, Victoria, until 1874 when he went to the Hobart Congregational Church, Davey Street. After three years he resigned through ill health and bought a farm, “Waterloo” and planted an apple orchard and was active in local affairs. He lost the farm when a lottery was held of properties mortgaged to the Bank of Van Diemen's Land which went bankrupt in 1891. It was won by Hedley Calvert, a retired sea captain from Sydney. Bird moved to a small farm at Lunawanna, Bruny Island, with his family. He had married in 1867 Helen, daughter of Robert Chisholm of Auckland (formerly of the Glasgow and Edinburgh Bank), and had a son, a mining surveyor; and two daughters, Ann Stafford (Mrs Smair, later Mrs. A.H. Garnsey) and Mrs. Weatherley. For more information see

Results 1 to 100 of 873