Showing 873 results

Authority record

Bill Bush

  • Person
  • 1945-

Arthur Knight

  • AU TAS UTAS ITCCD 2017/2
  • Person
  • 1928-1993

Arthur Charles Eagle Knight (1928-1993), was an engineer, amateur inventor, sailor, steam buff, photographer, motorist and bushwalker, who was active in many community and cultural organisations in Tasmania, living most of his adult life at Lindisfarne on the eastern shore of the Derwent River. He was born in Launceston to parents, Charles Eagle Leonard (Len) Knight, a surveyor, originally of Windermere Park, Claremont, and Dorothy Muriel (nee Hutchinson), originally of Logan, Bothwell, whose father, Rev. Arthur Hutchinson, was an Anglican Church minister. Arthur’s parents lived in several locations as his father surveyed many parts of Tasmania. Arthur attended school at Clemes College, Hobart, then enrolled at Launceston Church Grammar School, where he matriculated in 1947, before completing an engineering degree at the University of Tasmania in Hobart. He worked as a civil engineer and hydraulics engineer from the early 1950s, firstly with the Hobart City Council, then the Hydro-Electric Commission from 1962. Arthur met his future wife Margaret through the Hobart Walking Club, which he joined in 1948, and they married in 1957, raising three children. At Arthur's suggestion, the Hobart Walking Club advised the Tasmanian Government’s Scenic Preservation Board in 1954 that a reserve should be declared around Lake Pedder in the state's south-west, and the area was turned into a National Park in 1955. Arthur initiated a walker’s safety booklet, Safety in the Bush, first published by the Hobart Bushwalking Club, in 1962. Arthur owned a Kodak 35mm camera to take Kodak colour slide photographs during his many bushwalks and later purchased a Pentax SLR camera with wide angle and zoom lenses. Arthur was also involved in the Tasmanian Transport Museum, the Maritime Museum of Tasmania and the Veteran Car Club of Australia (Tasmania). He built his own boiler and steam engine, adapted from Victa motor mower parts, to power a former cray fishing boat, and in 1962 bought a Rolls-Royce for 500 pounds, which he restored and ran with the Veteran Car Club. In his retirement he contributed to academic journals on fluid dynamics and hydraulic engineering. Arthur was unrelated to the engineer Allan Walton Knight (1910-1998) the long-serving Commissioner of the Hydro-Electric Commission.

Charles Ellis Davies

  • Person
  • 1847-1921

Sir John George Davies (1846-1913) and his brother Charles Ellis Davies (1847-1921), newspaper proprietors and politicians, were sons of John Davies, founder of the Hobart Mercury, and his wife Elizabeth, née Ellis. John George (George) was born on 17 February 1846 at Melbourne, and Charles Ellis on 13 May 1847 at Wellington, New South Wales. George was educated at the Melbourne Church of England Grammar School and The Hutchins and High schools, Hobart, before entering his father's newspaper business as office-boy. He was, however, trained as a journalist and advanced through the ranks to become general manager, though he later relinquished this position in favour of his brother. Charles was also educated at The Hutchins and High schools, graduating associate of Arts in 1865 under the Tasmanian Council of Education's tertiary scheme. He was employed by the Victorian Railways as an engineer in 1866-69 when he too joined the Mercury to be trained for management. For more information : and

John Campbell Macdougall

  • Person
  • 1805?-1848

John Campbell Macdougall (1805?-1848), printer, publisher and editor, was the son of John Macdougall (1781-1845), who after a court action over the insurance of a ship sunk in the North Sea in 1815 had sailed for Van Diemen's Land in 1821 and become a merchant and agent. J. C. Macdougall followed him in 1825, and next year established a store in Hobart Town. In 1827 he bought the Tasmanian from George Howe, and became its editor and publisher-proprietor, adopting a moderate attitude to the government. For more information see :

John Walker

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2008/1-67-25
  • Person
  • 1726-1821

Father of George Washington Walker. John Walker was born in Newcastle in 1726. He died 22 March 1821 aged 96 years and is buried in the Cemetery of Pere-la-Chaise in France. He entered into business as a saddler and accroutrement maker. He married twice and had 22 children - George Washington was the youngest, born when John was 74 years old. His second wife was Elizabeth Ridley

James Alexander Bacon

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2013/1
  • Person
  • 15 May 1950 – 20 June 2004

James Alexander (Jim) Bacon (1950-2004), union official and politician, was born in Melbourne and educated at Scotch College. He worked as a union official for the Builders' Labourers Federation in Victoria and the Pilbara, before moving to Tasmania as state secretary of the Tasmanian branch, 1980-89. From 1989 to 1995, Bacon was secretary of the Tasmanian Trades and Labor Council. Gaining a massive vote, in 1996 Bacon was elected to the House of Assembly. He took over from Michael Field as Labor leader in 1997, and led the Party to successive electoral victories in 1998 and 2002. In 2004 he was Premier and Minister for Tourism, Parks and Heritage as well as Minister for the Arts. Under Bacon, Tasmania experienced stable government and economic prosperity. He resigned in 2004 due to ill-health. For more information see :

Walter Robson

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2015/1
  • Person
  • 1842-1929

Walter Robson (1842-1929) was a British Quaker who acted as secretary-companion to his cousin, Joseph James Neave (1835-1913), when the latter made a lengthy journey to Australia in the years 1867 to 1871.

John Godlee

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2
  • Person

John Godlee had an exciting life as a mariner, spending time in north America during the Independence war and getting ship wrecked in French Canada. He came from a long line of Quaker mariners going back to Peter Godlee, 1645- 1719, from Southwald, Suffolk. John retired from the sea at the end of the American/French wars when sailors’ pay was halved, and got a job in Lewes with a respectable Quaker family, the Rickmans. He married Mary Rickman, his boss’s daughter.

Patrick Abercrombie

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/3
  • Person
  • 1879-1957

Sir Leslie Patrick Abercrombie ( 6 June 1879– 23 March 1957) was an English town planner. He is best known for the post-Second World War re-planning of London. He created the County of London Plan (1943) and the Greater London Plan (1944) which are commonly referred to as the Abercrombie Plan. For more information see : Sir Leslie Patrick Abercrombie -

Cadman & Sons

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/1
  • Corporate body
  • 1748-1965

The Cadman family manufactured razors in Sheffield for over 200 years. Luke Cadman registered the mark BENGALL in 1748, which was to become an international brand name. The firm occupied a number of addresses in Sheffield including premises on Surrey Street and Fargate.
The firm continued into the 1900s, though the safety and electric razor market put them under increasing financial strain. Throughout the post war period they continued a strong international trade. They exported 80-90% of their products to Australia, Japan, India and Poland. During WWII they supplied the Royal Navy with 250,000 razors.
The firm diversified into the manufacture of scissors and dissection blades after the war in an attempt to increase business. Despite these efforts, their staff reduced in number from 100 to 30. The business eventually closed in 1965 and their last workshop was on Matilda Lane. By their closure only two workmen remained, Alfred Skeels and Jack Platts, both grinders in their 60s. From:

Roger Wettenhall

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/3
  • Person
  • 1931 -

Employed as a Lecturer, senior lecturer, reader in public administration (Political science) at the University of Tasmania from 1962 to 1971. He has written many academic books on public administration and political science.

Murray Views

  • Corporate body

Fred Murray opened Murray Studios in Gympie in 1906. The postcard and souvenir production side of the business initially covered Gympie and surrounding regions, but Murray expanded the business to include North Queensland, NSW and even Adelaide. It was opened under a separate name, Murray Views, in 1929. In 1945 the business was taken over by Murray’s nephews who began postcard folder production.. - More information

John Charles Hargrave

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2020/2
  • Person
  • 1931-2020

John Charles Hargrave AO, MBE, MD, DSc(Hon), MBBS, FRACS, DTMH (1931-2020), plastic and reconstructive surgeon, was born in Perth and grew up in Western Australia. After attending Medical School at the University of Adelaide, he went to the Northern Territory in 1956. Hargrave was the medical officer with the 1957 Lake McKay expedition which contacted some of the last remaining groups of the nomadic Pintubi people of the Western Desert who had no previous contact with colonists. He noted their robust good health and advised against any relocation or interference.
Posted initially to Alice Springs as a ‘Native Surveys Medical Officer’, this involved examining all the Aboriginal people on various settlements and missions in Central Australia, looking for specific ailments – particularly Tuberculosis, Trachoma, Hookworm, Leprosy Otitis media, Anaemia, and Hypertension – and relating it to the environmental conditions under which the people lived. He realised he knew nothing about Aboriginal Australia and contacted the celebrated anthropologist Olive Pink, who agreed to meet him.
During his early surveys, he noted that leprosy was a significant health issue. It had been brought into the Territory in the 1880s by gold miners and labourers, spreading disproportionately into Aboriginal communities. Leprosy patients, including children as young as four years of age, were forcibly removed from their families and incarcerated, usually for the rest of their lives – first on Mud Island, then on Channel Island in the Darwin harbour. In 1956, the East Arm Leprosarium on the mainland, staffed by Catholic Sisters from the order of Daughters of the Sacred Heart, replaced the island leprosarium. Hargrave became its medical superintendent. He brought a respectful, collaborative approach to the care of Aboriginal patients, who had grown so afraid of Commonwealth institutional powers that they would often hide their symptoms to avoid separation from their families.
All his life he had an easy, respectful, engaging manner with all he interacted with - regardless of race, status, or language. He dedicated himself to learning common phrases of all the languages of all the people he worked with, both in the NT, and later in Indonesia and Timor. He was a compulsive teacher, mentor, collaborator, and encourager. Hargrave identified persons of promise, ability and goodwill and freely shared his knowledge and skills with no regard to hierarchy. He thus developed a cadre of Aboriginal health workers in the NT who could diagnose, treat, perform physiotherapy, operate, suture (including microsurgery), and dress wounds. He started the first formal training programs for Aboriginal health workers. Nurses were empowered to adopt high level skills and functioned as equals on the team. He learnt to fly, to facilitate his movement around the Territory. During a series of sabbaticals and with a WHO scholarship, Hargrave visited leprosy centres throughout South East Asia, studying and learning techniques and management. On his return to Darwin, with no other surgical training and in the face of administrative opposition, he established a reconstructive surgical program at the leprosarium from scratch. By 1982, leprosy was in marked decline in the Territory and the East Arm Leprosarium was closed. While continuing in Leprosy control, he was appointed as the inaugural NT Director of Aboriginal Health, and later started the incipient Communicable Disease Unit. Simultaneously, he was also appointed as a specialist hand surgeon to the Darwin Hospital and provided electro-neuro and myographic services to the NT.

In the late 1980s, he developed a locally supported, sustainable reconstructive surgical program in Timor and Flores. He again identified and mentored local clinicians of ability and promise, sought out and established working relationships, functional health services, collaborated with locally based organisations, and learnt local languages. His trips to and focus on Indonesia and Timor Leste grew in the 1990s and continued after his retirement from the NT Health Service in 1995. Surprising many, John built a beautiful house overlooking the Derwent, and after more than 40 years in the tropics, moved to Tasmania in the late 1990s, by flying down in his twin-engine plane. He continued trips to the north, introducing and mentoring other surgeons and clinicians. Hargrave died in Hobart in 2020, aged 89.

William Lewis May

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2023/1
  • Person
  • 1861-1925

William Lewis May, otherwise known as Lewis, who was born in 1861 in South Australia, the eldest son of William and Mary May (nee Cotton) and together with the rest of his family created a fine orchard and homes in Sandford. He had many interests such as Egyptology, botany and gardening and traced the genealogical history of his own family. However it is for his shell collections that he is best known. For many years he concentrated on the study of shells amassing one of the best collections of English shells outside England and one of the best collections of Australian and Tasmanian shells in the world. He created exquisite drawings of shells which were published to illustrate his book on the subject. He also painted Tasmanian wildflowers and birds and found time to be Clerk of Monthly Meeting for 15 years, was on the Standing Committee of the Society and on the Committee of the Friends' High School.

Wilfred Asten

  • Person
  • 1915-1970

Wilfred Asten (1915-1970) acting headmaster of the Friend School 1949-1951. Born in North-West England, Wilfred Asten moved to Tasmania in 1939 where he taught at the Burnie High School and later was appointed Vice-Principal of the Hobart Teachers’ College. Wilfred joined the teaching staff of The Friends’ School in 1947 and stayed as a member of the leadership team for 23 years. Wilfred had four children (Hilary, David, Jennifer and Michael) with his wife Dorothy, whom he met in England. Wilfred was awarded an MBE in recognition of his services to the United Nations Association. His love of geography and enthusiasm for teaching and cricket left an imprint on the thousands of students he met over his many years teaching.

Earnest Ewart Unwin

  • Person
  • 1881-1944

Earnest Ewart Unwin (1881-1944) was Headmaster of Friends' School 1924-1944. Unwin was Quaker educationist, was born on 13 July 1881 at Folkestone, Kent, England, son of Uriah John Unwin, bricklayer, and his wife Sophia Jane, née Martin. He was educated at the Quaker schools of Saffron Walden and Ackworth, and graduated (B.Sc., 1901) at the University of Leeds. He taught at Ackworth in 1901-04, became a lecturer in science at the University of Leeds, gained his M.Sc. in 1908 and from 1908 to 1912 taught at Bootham School, York. On 7 April 1910 he married Ursula Dymond Thorp at The Friends' Meeting House, Carlton Hill, Leeds. In 1912 Unwin became senior science master at the Quaker school, Leighton Park, Reading; his first book, Pond Problems (Cambridge, 1914), was a science textbook for schools. As a conscientious objector during World War I, he was given leave to teach and published two more books, As a Man Thinketh (London, 1919) and Religion and Biology (London, 1922).

In 1923 Unwin answered what he felt was a 'call to service' in Australia by accepting the headmastership of the co-educational Friends' School in Hobart, a position which he was to hold until his death. The years 1923-44 witnessed major growth in the school. Unwin embarked on an ambitious rebuilding plan in which he enlisted substantial financial support from English Quakers. He brought a new dynamic of educational leadership to his school and to education in Tasmania, introducing new subjects of art, physiology and botany to the senior school curriculum, and giving priority to science in his building plans. A gifted water-colour artist and teacher of art, he was also a pioneer in the field of educational broadcasting. For more information see

Amos Family

  • Family
  • 1774 - 1864

The Amos family arrived in Tasmania in March 1821 aboard the Emerald, and were advised to look for land on the unsettled east coast. Adam's capital entitled him to a grant of 1000 acres (405 ha) which he located on the Swan River at Cranbrook, and called Gala. By 1824 his mill was supplying the district with flour, and five years later he had many other substantial improvements. For more information :

Henry Brune Atkinson

  • Person
  • 1874-1960

Archdeacon Henry Brune Atkinson (1874-1960), clergyman and orchidologist, was the son of Rev. Henry D. Atkinson of Stanley and Sarah Ann (Ward). He was educated at Stanley State School, Launceston Church Grammar School and the University of Tasmania (BA 1899). He was ordained an Anglican priest in 1902 and served as Rector of Holy Trinity Church, Hobart and Archdeacon of Launceston and Darwin. From 1919 to 1925 he was Vice-Warden of the University Senate. He collected many specimens of orchid from Tasmania and some from NSW, Victoria and New Zealand. These were given to the Queen Victoria Museum, Launceston by his daughter. Rev. Atkinson married Helen Bertha Knight of Christ Church, New Zealand, in 1905 and they had one daughter, Sheila. For more information see

James Hamlyn Willis

  • Person
  • 1910 - 1995

Born in Oakleigh, Victoria, on 28 January 1910, died in Melbourne, Victoria, on 10 November 1995.
Served as a forestry officer in many locations throughout Victoria, 1931-1937. In October 1937 Willis joined the National Herbarium of Victoria as a taxonomic botanist, and spent the remainder of his working life there, until 28 January 1972. He rose to become Assistant Government Botanist, and Acting Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens and Herbarium. Throughout his life he collected avidly, both vascular and non-vascular plants, and fungi. For many years he was the focus of taxonomic work in Victoria, and wrote the 2-volume A Handbook to Plants in Victoria (1962, 1972) which for over 30 years was the standard reference not only for that State but for adjacent areas as well. He described 64 plant species alone or jointly and published about 883 books, papers and reviews. His herbarium is housed in MEL, but duplicates are widely distributed within Australia and overseas.

Alfred Archer

  • Person

Alfred Archer was the son of William Archer (1789-1879) and his wife Caroline, of Brickendon, Tasmania.

Margaret (Gunn) Allison

  • Person
  • 1800-1868

Margaret Elizabeth daughter of William Gunn (1800-1868) and Frances Hannah (Arndell) of Sorell and Glen Dhu, Launceston). Married in Henry Allison in 1852, auctioneer and alderman of Launceston and son of Capt. Francis Allison of Streanshalh. After Henry's death (c 1862) Margaret took her four children (William Race (Willie) (1854-1931), Isabel (Issie), Frank (1858-1936) and Amy to live with her parents at Glen Dhu.

Frank Allison

  • Person
  • 1858-1936

Frank Allison (1858-1936) was the second son of Henry Allison and Margaret (Gunn), born 29 June 1858. He was employed in the Post Office as a supervising clerk but in 1911, owing to a bad leg, he moved to Evandale, where he had a small piece of property, and became local post master at a reduced salary. He married in 1882 Emma Hume, a fellow member of the church choir of St. Paul's Church, Launceston and they had several children including Jack (A.J.), George, Percival, Rachel, Leila, Maggie.

Stewart James Anderson

  • Person

Stewart James Anderson was originally from Black River, near Stanley. The original diaries were found at "The Falls", Mawhanna, home of Leon Anderson, son of S.J. Anderson.

William Archer

  • Person
  • 1820-1874

William Archer (1820-1874) the second son of Thomas Archer (1790-1850) of Woolmers, Longford, studied architecture in England and after returning to Van Diemen's Land, designed among other buildings, the Hutchins School in Hobart, Mona Vale, at Ross, and Saundridge, Cressy, as well as the East window of Christ Church, Longford. For some years he was secretary of the Royal Society of Tasmania, a Fellow of the Royal and Linnean Societies of England, and a keen botanist, named many Tasmanian plants and assisted
Dr. Hooker who dedicated to him and Ronald C. Gunn, his work on the flora of Tasmania. From 1856 until 1858, he lived in England and worked at the Herbarium, Kew Gardens, presenting the library with a book of his drawings of Tasmanian orchids and mosses. He was a leading member of the anti-transportation movement, and a member for Parliament at various times between his election for Westbury in 1851 and retirement in 1866. For may years he lived at Cheshunt, Deloraine. He died at Fairfield, Longford, in 1874.

Oscar Henry Jones

  • Person
  • 25 June 1875-1960

Oscar Henry Jones (1875-1960), son of Henry Jones of Strathelie, Broadmarsh, was born on 25 June 1875, educated at Hutchins School and then articled to Butler, McIntyre and Butler, and was admitted to the Bar on 18 April 1898. He joined George Murdoch to form Murdoch and Jones and managed the Queenstown office (formerly Williams & Page) from April 1899. He was a member of the Queenstown Masonic Lodge, Mount Lyell, No. 24, T.C. He appears to have left the Queenstown office and returned to the Broadmarsh district about 1902 or 1903. Murdoch & Jones later took another partner, Charles D' Arcy Cuthbert, who had served articles with Murdoch and was admitted as solicitor on 15 Aug. 1900.

George Musgrave Parker

  • Person
  • 1885-1964

Dr G.Musgrave Parker (1885-1965) qualified in medicine (M.B. B.Ch.) at Cambridge, U.K., in 1913, and in 1914 he was appointed a medical officer of health in Swansea. From 1915 until 1918 he served with the Australian forces in Egypt and France. On return he served as medical officer for the Kentish Municipality (Sheffield, Railton) 1919-1921; Swansea 1921-1926 and Clarence, 1926-1947, and then joined the staff of the Repatriation Hospital, Hobart, until he retired in 1955. He acted as president of branches of the RSL at Kentish, Swansea and Lindisfarne. He devoted most of his spare time, however, to a study of the history of the East Coast and hoped to write a book on it, but this was never finished.

Alice Daisy Baker

  • Person
  • 1888-1952

Tasmanian poet and writer on Tasmanian historical subjects. She wrote a number of plays which were broadcast over national stations, many poems and a history of the Catholic Women's Association in Tasmania. Baker was actively associated with child welfare work and was a member of the Hobart branch of the Country Women's Association.
For more information see obituary: The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954) Mon 20 Oct 1952 Page 7 Hobart Authoress, Mrs. Alice Baker, Dies

Richard Dry

  • Person
  • 1815-1869

Sir Richard Dry (1815-1869), landowner and politician, was born on 20 September 1815 at Elphin Farm near Launceston, Van Diemen's Land, the elder son of Richard Dry and his wife Anne, née Maughan. He was educated at Kirklands, the boys' school conducted by Rev. John Mackersey at Campbell Town. At 21 he made a voyage to Mauritius and British Indian ports, and on his return devoted himself to farming the fine Quamby property left him by his father in 1843. He had been placed on the Commission of the Peace in 1837 by Sir John Franklin, who was impressed with Dry's personality and steady character. On 8 February 1844, Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Eardley-Wilmot nominated him a non-official member of the Legislative Council. For more information see

Birchall's Bookshop, Launceston

  • Corporate body
  • 1844 -2017

Birchalls Pty Ltd is the oldest bookshop in Tasmania. Samuel Tegg established a bookshop in Hobart Town in 1833, then opened his Brisbane Street outlet in Launceston in 1844. Blake, Huxtable and Duthie were the next owners. In 1863 the Hobart firm of J Walch and Sons bought Duthie out and opened a northern branch.

Andrew W Birchall (1831–93) was appointed manager and became a partner in 1867. The firm traded as Walch Bros and Birchall until he acquired the shop in 1893. As was customary in family businesses, he was succeeded by his son who registered Birchalls as a proprietary company in 1921. Stanley V Tilley (1898–1985) joined Birchalls in 1928. The Tilley family bought the business and property in 1969. SV Tilley passed on his knowledge of the trade to his descendants, who now run the 160-year-old store and other retail outlets throughout Tasmania. FROM

Lawrence John Hayns

  • Person
  • 1894-1970

Lawrence John Hayns (1894 -1970) was born in the U.K. and served in the army during the Great war. He married Mary Magaret Crane in 1921 in Leicester. A book of his notes on wool, cotton and principles of weaving and knitting suggests that he might have been apprenticed there to a textile or hosiery business. In the 1920 's he migrated to Tasmania as an
orchardist. He also worked as a stockman to a George Town Butcher, as a ploughman, at Kellsall and Kemp's Factory, Invermay, and finally was a lighthouse keeper. In 1951 he was head keeper of Swan Island light house. His son Maxwell Ernest (1924-1948), attended Launceston Grammer School, joined the RAAF in world War II and was killed in a car accident in 1948.

Bolton Stafford Bird

  • Person
  • 1840-1924

Bolton Stafford Bird (1840-1924) was elected a member of the Tasmanian House of Assembly for Franklin in 1887, and served as Treasurer under P.O. Fysh until 1892, also acting as Postmaster General and Minister for Education. He represented Tasmania at the Federal Council of 1889 and the Federal Conventions of 1890 and 1891. From 1892 to 1894 he was Leader of the Opposition and Speaker from 1894-1897. He was again Treasurer 1899-1903. From 1909 until he retired in 1923 he was a member of the Legislative Council.

Stafford Bird was born at Hazlerigg, Northumberland, England, son of a schoolmaster Thomas Bird and his wife Ann (Stafford). His parents emigrated to Clunes, Victoria, in 1852. In 1865 Bird was admitted to the Wesleyan ministry, but changed to the Congregational Church in 1867 and was minister at Ballarat and Avoca, Victoria, until 1874 when he went to the Hobart Congregational Church, Davey Street. After three years he resigned through ill health and bought a farm, “Waterloo” and planted an apple orchard and was active in local affairs. He lost the farm when a lottery was held of properties mortgaged to the Bank of Van Diemen's Land which went bankrupt in 1891. It was won by Hedley Calvert, a retired sea captain from Sydney. Bird moved to a small farm at Lunawanna, Bruny Island, with his family. He had married in 1867 Helen, daughter of Robert Chisholm of Auckland (formerly of the Glasgow and Edinburgh Bank), and had a son, a mining surveyor; and two daughters, Ann Stafford (Mrs Smair, later Mrs. A.H. Garnsey) and Mrs. Weatherley. For more information see

Royal Tasman Bridges

  • Person
  • 1885-1952

Royal Tasman Bridges (Roy) (1885-1952), journalist and novelist, was born in Hobart on 23 March 1885, son of Samuel Bridges, basketmaker, and his wife Laura Jane, née Wood, descendants of Tasmanian pioneers. He was educated at Queen's College, Hobart, in 1894-1901, and graduated B.A. from the University of Tasmania in 1905. A small man, shy, sensitive and given to nervous depression, he held a great affection for his mother. From tales retold by her he developed an interest in Tasmanian and family history and an intense attachment to Wood's Farm, near Sorell, the Wood home for over a century. For more information see

Ebenezer Shoobridge

  • Person
  • 1820-1901

Ebenezer Shoobridge (1820-1901) purchased Bushy Park, an estate of some 2000 acres from Mr Humphry in 1865. He introduced hop growing (hops having been first introduced to Tasmania by his father William Shoobridge) and fruit orchards, principally apples. There was also a dairy farm and some grain and root crops. His eldest son William Ebenezer Shoobridge (1846-1940) pioneered irrigation, built hop kilns, cottages etc. and experimented with methods of pruning fruit trees, introducing the "pyramid principle" which allowed the sun to shine on all fruit equally. Both father and son were J.P.s and served on local councils and committees and supported the Wesleyan Church.

Cradle Mountain Reserve Board

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-1947

In 1947 the Lake St Clair Scenic Reserve was added to the Cradle Mountain Reserve to create a new National Park and a new Board was constituted to administer it.

Leonard Rodway

  • Person
  • 1853-1936

Leonard Rodway (1853-1936), botanist and dentist, was born on 5 October 1853 at Torquay, Devon, England, thirteenth child of Henry Barron Rodway, dentist and inventor of the Rodway life buoy, and his wife Elizabeth, née Allin. Educated at Birmingham and in the Thames Marine Officers' Training Ship, Worcester, he spent three years in the mercantile marine before turning, after illness, to a family tradition in dentistry. Training at Middlesex Hospital, London, he gained the licentiateship in dental surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1878 and migrated to Queensland. In Brisbane on 19 May 1879, with Presbyterian forms, he married Louisa Susan Phillips, a dentist's daughter. They settled in Hobart Town next year.

Rodway was registered under the first Tasmanian Dental Act 1884, and practised in Hobart until 1923, acting as honorary dental surgeon at the Hobart General Hospital in 1890-1922. He is, however, chiefly remembered for his interest in botany, another family tradition. He devoted his spare time, energy and financial resources to preparing an exhaustive catalogue of Tasmania's native and naturalized plants: he made many field trips, described many new species and built up a comprehensive collection of specimens. Between 1892 and 1928 he presented scientific papers, principally to the Royal Society of Tasmania to which he was elected in 1884, and published The Tasmanian Flora (Hobart, 1903), a standard reference for forty years, Some Wild Flowers of Tasmania (Hobart, 1910) and Tasmanian Bryophyta (Hobart, 1914-16). For more information see

George Cartland

  • Person
  • 1912-2008

Sir George Cartland was the deputy governor of Uganda between 1961and 1962 and was heavily involved with the development of educational institutions within Africa. After retiring from his post in the Ugandan Government, he took up senior university roles in the UK and Australia including registrar of the University of Birmingham and vice-chancellor of the University of Tasmania. In 1968 he moved to Tasmania to take up the post of Vice-Chancellor of the University of Tasmania. He stayed in the role for 10 years and was awarded an honourary Doctor of Laws for his services to the University of Tasmania. His services were in demand by the Tasmanian government where he was chair of the South-West National Park Advisory Committee, undertook a review of library and archives legislation in 1977 and a thorough review of Tasmanian government administration between 1979 and 1981. For more information see:

Thomas Chapman

  • Person

Mary Ann Langhorne married Thomas Chapman, teacher, in London on 1 January 1821, and sailed to Van Dieman's Land on the "Britomart" in October 1821. Chapman was granted land at Macquarie River, but his wife left him and the bushranger, Brady and his gang, robbed him so he leased his land to his neighbour William D. Kelman and in 1826 went to Sydney where he worked in warehouses. On his wife's reported death he married again and visited England where his second wife died. He married a third time and again visited England where he claimed the annuity left to his first wife by the will of her aunt Lydia Hooley.

Alexander Cheyne

  • Person
  • 1785-1858

Alexander Cheyne (1785-1858), son of John Cheyne of Leith, Scotland, was a captain in the Royal Engineers. In 1834, after retiring from the army he emigrated to Australia and settled first in Western Australia put arrived in Hobart in December 1835 and became Director General of Roads and Bridges and in 1838 Director of Public Works. He was dismissed in 1848 partly owing to the personal animosity of the colonial secretary John Montague. He contracted to supply water to Launceston but suffered from' long delays in payment of bills by the Government. He then became supervisor of Launceston's. swamp draining but was injured and permanently lamed in a coach accident. In 1847 he was appointed director of Hobart Water Works but was dismissed in 1848. In 1852 he became assistant superintendent of road works.' . He was a Presbyterian, superintendent of the Sunday School and a friend of Rev. John Lillie and Dr. Adam Turnbull. for more information see :

Alexander Russell Clark

  • Person
  • 1809-1894

Alexander Russell Clark was an engineer, who settled in Tasmania in 1833 and undertook contracts such as the Port Arthur water and tread corn mill, works at the coal mines and Launceston water works.His son, A.I. Clark served as an engineering apprentice with him, but turned to Law later. See:

Andrew Inglis Clark

  • Person
  • 1848-1907

A. I. Clark (1848 -1907), barrister, politician and judge was the youngest son of Alexander Russell Clark. After qualifying as an engineer he studied law and was called to the Bar in 1877.He practiced law and was for a time in partnership with Matthew Wilkes Simmons. However he was also a member of the House of Assembly 1878-1882 and 1887 - 1897 and was appointed Attorney General in 188~. Humanitarian and progressive, he introduced many reform bills. In 1898 he was appointed Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court and Senior Judge in 1901,and he was also Acting Governor in J. Stokell Dodds absence from the State in 1901, He was a,delegate to the Federal Councils of 1888. 1889. 1890. 1891 and 1894 and drafted a constitution based mainly on the Constitution of the U.S.A. Clark visited America in 1890 and 1897 and corresponded regularly with Oliver Wendell Holmes and other lawyers and Unitarians. Clark was an active member of debating and literary societies and was also interested in the Unitarian Church and he wrote many essays and speeches on political, philosophical and reliious topics. Few were published but many copies handwritten in exercise books were circulated among his friends.
A.I. Clark married in 1878 Grace Paterson Ross, daughter of John Ross, a Hobart shipbuilder. They had five sons: Alexander, a marine engineer; Andrew Inglis. another lawyer and judge: Conway, an architect; Wendell, a medical practitioner, and Carrell, Clerk to the House of Assembly. Another son, Melvin, died in infancy and there were two daughters, Ethel and Esma.

Grace Paterson Clark

  • Person

A.I. Clark married in 1878 Grace Paterson Ross, daughter of John Ross, a Hobart shipbuilder.
They had five sons: Alexander, a marine engineer; Andrew Inglis. another lawyer and judge:
Conway, an architect; Wendell, a medical practitioner, and Carrell, Clerk to the House of
Assembly. Another son, Melvin, died in infancy and there were two daughters, Ethel and Esma.

Robert Cosgrove

  • Person
  • 1884-1969

Sir Robert Cosgrove K.C.M.G. (1884-1969), a grocer by trade, became a trade union leader and politician. He was State President of the A.L.P. in 1916 and first elected to the House of Assembly for Denison in that year. He was Premier of Tasmania 1939-47 and Premier and Minister of Education 1948-58. He married Gertrude Geappen in 1911. He received the Knighthood, K.C.M.G. in 1959 and his wife was made a Dame of the British Empire in 1949.

For more information see

Robert Cosgrove

  • Person
  • 1884-1969

Sir Robert Cosgrove K.C.M.G. (1884-1969), a grocer by trade, became a trade union leader and politician. He was State President of the A.L.P. in 1916 and first elected to the
House of Assembly for Denison in that year. He was Premier of Tasmania 1939-47 and Premier and Minister of Education 1948-58. He married Gertrude Geappen in 1911. He received the Knighthood, K.C.M.G. in 1959 and his wife was made a Dame of the British Empire in 1949.

Henry Lewis Garrett

  • Person
  • 1847-1893

Henry Lewis (Harry) Garrett was born in 1847, the youngest of ten children of Alfred and Catherine Garrett. Educated at the Hutchins School, in 1863 he gained an Associate of Arts certificate. He became an accountant and later (1882) actuary of the Hobart Savings Bank, and in 1871 married Martha Fisher (b. 1843). They had five children between 1873 and 1886. The Garrett’s lived at Cottage Green, Battery Point, for the first few years of marriage, then moved to Casa Nova on the corner of Grosvenor and Princes Street in Sandy Bay. For more information see:
Wilson, Elisabeth. 'Do the Next Thing': Henry Lewis Garrett and the Evolution of the Hobart Brethren Assembly [online]. Tasmanian Historical Studies, Vol. 10, 2005: 96-112.;dn=143623924072226;res=IELHSS

Athur James Drysdale

  • Person
  • 1887-1971

A. J. Drysdale (1887-1971) was a business man - first as a traveling butcher, then he built up a motor car business with a Ford car agency (sold in 1932). He bought Wrest Point in 1935 and built a luxury hotel, where he had planned a casino, and sold it in 1947. In 1954 he began the Tasmanian Lotteries, noted for their large prizes, which once included Hadley's Hotel, Hobart. Drysdale had polio when young and also suffered from failing sight. His daughter, Norah Bates, and son-in-law assisted with the business and (1971) held the business records.
For more information see

Arthur James Drysdale

  • Person
  • 1887-1971

A. J. Drysdale (1887-1971) was a business man - first as a traveling butcher, then he built up a motor car business with a Ford car agency which he sold in 1932. He bought Wrest Point in 1935 and built a luxury hotel, where he had planned a casino, and sold it in 1947. In 1954 he began the Tasmanian Lotteries, noted for their large prizes, which once included Hadley's Hotel, Hobart. Drysdale had polio when young and also suffered from failing sight. His daughter, Norah Bates, and son-in-law assisted with the business and (1971) held the business records.
More information see:

Andrew Downie

  • Person

Andrew Downie emigrated to Van Diemen's Land in 1822, arriving by the Skelton on 24 December 1822. He came of a Lowland farming family, but had been trained as a 'writer', or lawyer, by James Lucas of Stirling. Immediately on arrival in Van Diemen's Land he engaged himself as head shepherd to Thomas Wells, the owner of Allenvale in the Macquarie District. Thomas Wells was a cousin of Samuel Marsden, and had arrived in 1817 with Lieut.¬ Governor Sorell, to whom he was Private Secretary. Towards the end of 1823 Wells was in the Debtor's Gaol, but later became Accountant at the VDL Bank. Allenvale was sold to Major Thomas Fenton in 1820, and Wells died in 1833. By 1824 Downie had acquired some land of his own, by grant. This farm he called Thornhill, and during 1825 he cleared part of it and sowed crops, as well as running a flock of sheep. Early in 1826, in partner¬ship with Philip Russell, then of Dennistoun, he leased Col. Sorell's grant, Norton Mandeville, meanwhile leasing Thornhill to John Furener. The partnership with Philip Russell lasted until late 1836, and during this time Thornhill had been added to until it became the substantial property Glenelg at Gretna. The barns on Glenelg where built in 1833. In 1837 Andrew Downie returned to Scotland, where he married, and in August 1838 arrived back in Van Diemen's Land with his wife, and youngest brother, William. Another brother, Thomas had emigrated earlier, but he went to Port Phillip. Andrew Downie lived in Hobart Town, while William managed Glenelg. Later Andrew returned to Scotland, and when he died William inherited Glenelg.
The 1000 acres farming property, Glenelg at Gretna, was granted to Downie in 1824 by Governor Sorell and established the first merino flock. The property still in the Downie family today and still farming ultra fine merino fleece.

Robert Doctor

  • Person
  • n.d.

Robert Doctor was a carpenter and landholder at Forcett

Edward David Dobbie

  • Person
  • 1857-1915

Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court of Tasmania, was born in Dunbar in 1857 and came to Tasmania with his parents Edward Dobbie senior and his wife Kathryn while very young. He was educated partly at state schools in Tasmania and partly (amongst other private schools) at the Hutchins School in Hobart. After leaving school he followed a number of commercial pursuits until at the age of 21 he began the study of law. He was articled to a Tasmanian Solicitor, Mr. Charles Ball who was the principle of the legal firm, Messrs. Gill and Ball. Dobbie was admitted as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of Tasmania at Hobart in July 1882. He married Alice McMillan; they had six children, four daughters and two sons.
On the 25th of March 1887 he was appointed Crown Solicitor and Clerk of the Peace in succession to Mr. R. P. Adams who had then been appointed judge of the Supreme Court. Although at thirty years of age he was relatively young to hold the important office of Crown Solicitor, it was not altogether unusual to find young men holding such appointments in Tasmania which had a comparatively large public service serving only a small population during the nineteenth century.
In January, 1895 he became Secretary to the Law Department relinquishing the office of Crown Solicitor, but remaining as Clerk of the Peace, Hobart and Registrar of Building Societies. He retained these 3 offices until January 1899 when he was appointed Recorder and Commissioner in Bankruptcy, Launceston as well as Commissioner of the Court of Requests. Finally he reached the peak of his non-judicial legal career when he was appointed Solicitor General on the 25th of April 1902. He would continue to hold this office until eventually he was appointed an acting judge and later a judge in 1913-14.
Dobbie's career both as Solicitor-General and later as judge was relatively distinguished. The situations which confronted him as the senior legal representative of the government were often parochial matters, sometimes with varied legal importance. Not all of his cases provided sufficient scope for the exercise of his real legal talent. He had to wait until the arrival of federation before legal matters of real constitutional importance to the new State would present themselves.
Perhaps a highlight of Dobbie's career as Solicitor-General was his visit to the United Kingdom in 1904. This came about as a result of an appeal by the Van Diemen's Land Company against a decision of the Supreme Court of Tasmania. The company had brought an action of trespass against the Marine Board of Table Cape, a semi-government authority. The Supreme Court of Tasmania had failed to uphold the action. The Van Diemen's Land Company eventually appealed to the Privy Council in England and Dobbie, as Solicitor-General, was sent to London to present the case on behalf of the Marine Board and the state government.
During this period he wrote frequently to his wife in Hobart and these letters provide an interesting account of his activities while in a city, which at that time still exercised great influence over the activities of the embryo Australian States. He was in London for most of 1904 and quite clearly enjoyed the visit. He was a lover of the Arts and frequently visited the many attractions which were available in such an immense city. He was also vitally interested in the politics of the time, chiefly centring around the arguments of protection in trade advanced by Joseph Chamberlain of the Conservative Unionist Party and those of Free Trade supported by the English Liberal Party. Dobbie as might be expected, was a supporter of Free Trade and in fact, any other course would have been seriously damaging to the Australian States. Dobbie eventually lost his case before the Privy Council and of course the decision of the Tasmanian Supreme Court was reversed.
On 1st September 1913 Dobbie was appointed an acting puisne judge of the Supreme Court of Tasmania and this acting appointment was confirmed on 1st January 1914. Thus he began a very brief career as a judge which was to end untimely with his death on 23rd August 1915. In fact his period as a judge of the Supreme Court still remains the shortest career on record in Tasmania. Dobbie probably never reached the pinnacle of his legal career. His judgements, although generally sound would have improved with the depth of experience which he would have acquired as a judge during the course of time. Furthermore his work as a parliamentary draftsman during the early years of his legal career undoubtedly benefited him, because he was to show time and time again that he was a thorough man concerned with detail as much as the broad principles.

Duncan Loane Pty.

  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1981

Duncan Loane Pty., general merchants, was founded in Devonport in 1910 by Duncan Loane, formerly Devonport manager for A.G. Webster & sons. On his retirement in 1922 the firm was made into a proprietary company. Directors included W.H. Edwards, managing director, G.C. Walch, R.l.D. Loane etc. The firm dealt especially in farm machinery, holding a number of agencies for overseas firms, such as Ransome & Sims of England, as well as Australian firms, including water pumps by wind mill and electric or diesel rams. They also dealt in fertilisers, fencing wires, corn sacks, gates, etc. and act as agents for insurance.

For more information see$002f$002fARCHIVES_AGENCIES$002f0$002fNG1031/one

Louis Lempriere Dobson

  • Person
  • 1871-1934

Louis Lempriere Dobson (1871-1934) studied jurisprudence at Oxford University , under H. Duff, and graduated B.A. He was admitted a barrister of the Middle Temple, London, in 1894 and admitted as lawyer in Hobart in 1895. He was in practice with the firm of Dobson, Mitchell and Allport.

Thomas Hodgkin

  • Person
  • 1831-1913

Dr Thomas Hodgkin of Barnoor Castle, Beal, Northumberland, U.K., barrister and later a partner in the banking house 'Hodgkin, Barnett, Pease and Spence', Newcastle upon Tyne. Hodgkin also devoted much time to historical studies, specialising particularly in the history of the early middle ages, and published a number of historical texts during his lifetime. Much of the Hodgkin family papers are held in the Welcome Library in London. The archive held within Newcastle University Special Collections is the personal archive of Thomas Hodgkin and comprises of notes and draft editions relating to his historical research; travel journals, photographs and slides; diaries; a small number of letters; and other published and unpublished material relating to his historical research. Hodgkin made a religious visit to members of the Society of Friends (Quakers) in Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand in 1909, accompanied by his wife, eldest daughter, Violet, and youngest son, George.

Roland Arnold Rodda

  • Person
  • 1917-1993

Roland Rodda, MD, ChB, FRCPath, FRCPA was foundation Professor of Pathology at the University of Tasmania until his retirement in 1982. Born Wellington New Zealand in 1917 and educated at Wellington College and the University of Otago. Served in the Royal New Zealand Airforce from 1943-1946, for more information see his obituary I Pathology V27 (1) 1995 p107-108

John Reynolds

  • Person
  • 1899-1986

John Reynolds (1899-1986) was educated at Friends' School, Hobart, and Hobart Technical School, where he studied chemistry. He had a distinguished career as a metallurgist, starting with the E.Z. Co., and played a leading role in the establishment of the Australian aluminium industry with its beginnings at Bell Bay following the discovery of bauxite at Ouse in 1943. In 1939, at the beginning of the War, he was seconded to the Public Service as Commerce Officer, Department of Agriculture, Commerce & Industry Section, Hobart, to advise on the production of industrial charcoal for carbide manufacture. He was involved in making a contract for the sale of wolfram and tungsten to the British Government. He held a number of advisory and official posts in Tasmania during the next two decades, including responsibility for the implementation of the Grain Reserve Act 1950.
John Reynolds main interest, however, lay in journalism and historical research. He won a Commonwealth Literary Fund Award for his biography of Edmund (Toby) Barton. He wrote a life of William Lawrence Baillieu, Launceston -the history of an Australian City (1969); Men & Mines (1974) and articles for the Australian Dictionary of Biography and the Transactions of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association. His last book, Countries of the mind, a biography of Edmund Morris Miller, completed in collaboration with Margaret Giordano, was published in 1987 after his death.

Marguerite Helen Power

  • Person
  • 1870-1957

Tasmanian poet, Helen Power was born in Campbell Town, daughter of Thomas Power, who was council clerk of Campbell Town. Helen started writing at an early age and enjoyed reading and translating French poetry. She held adult literary classes, or "literary talks" on contemporary modern writers from 1912-1943 and later joined a poetry reading group in Hobart. She published verses and prose sketches in the Bulletin, Australasian, etc. and had a book Poems privately printed in 1922. In 1956 Clive Sansom read two of her earlier poems at a recital of recent Australian verse and in November 1957 he asked for and was granted permission to collect her poems and have them published. For more information see

Joseph Benson Mather

  • Person
  • 1814-1890

Joseph Benson Mather (1814-1890) was the eldest son of Robert and Ann Mather who settled in Tasmania in 1822. He joined his father in his drapery and hosiery business in 1836 and later established his own business as a merchant tailor and importer in Liverpool Street, Hobart, taking his son, Joseph Francis, into partnership as J.B. Mather & Son in 1874. One of their contracts was to supply police uniforms. J.B. Mather also managed the East Coast Steam Navigation Co. in Hobart 1854-57. J.B.Mather was for many years Clerk to the Hobart Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. He spent most of the year 1840 in Sydney visiting and helping Sydney Friends on a visit of "concern" and on his return also travelled around
Tasmania visiting country Friends. In 1841 he obtained consent from Francis Cotton of Kelvedon, near Swansea, to "corresponding with his daughter with an intention to an union in marriage" and the following year he married Anna Maria Cotton. They had six children: Joseph Francis (1844-1925), Anna Maria (1846­-1900), Esther Ann (1849-1957) who married C.H. Robey, Maria Louisa (1851­ -1857), Emma Elizabeth (1853-1939) and Frances Josephine (1855-1856) but Joseph's wife and the youngest little daughter died in 1856. Joseph Mather was lonely after her death, as he recorded in his diary, but he cared devotedly for his children, reading to them every night, except when they went to stay with their Cotton grandparents at Kelvedon for country air, and nursing them when they were ill. He nursed little Louisa day and night in 1857 until she died in his arms.
For more information see

William Levitt Wells

  • Person
  • 1853-1918

William Levitt Wells (1853-1918), and his wife Elizabeth (Bessie) Lucy Lidbetter (1852-1925), both Friends (Quakers), sailed for Tasmania in 1884 on the SS. Bonnington with their children, Edith (1879-1917), Frank (1880-1957), Arnold (1882-1938) and baby Mary (born 17 Sept. 1883). Two more children were born in Tasmania, Martin (1885-1965) and Hugh (1888-1922). W.L. Wells was the son of William Wells, draper and tailor of Kettering and his wife Mary (formerly Levitt) both members of the Society of Friends (Quakers). Bessie Lidbetter was the daughter of Martin Lidbetter headmaster of the Friends School, Wigton, Cumberland, where she also had been a teacher. The Wells family were accompanied by two Friends (ie Quakers), Margaret Elizabeth (Maggie) Greer (1854-1901) and Mary Ellen (Minnie) Greer (1859-1939), daughters of Thomas Jackson and Eliza Greer of Belfast. Maggie Greer married William Lewis May in 1887 and Minnie married Richard P. Furmage in 1888. On arrival in Hobart the family were welcomed by the Mather family, also Friends and relatives by marriage (lFrancis Mather had married Margaret Ann Lidbetter in 1874). William Wells worked in Mather's store for a time. In February 1886 Wells was appointed manager of the Don branch store of the Don Trading Company by John Henry, the owner, and about 1888 he took over the store, which became William Wells & Co. Wells moved to Latrobe in 1893.

John, King of England

  • Person
  • 1166-1216

John (24 December 1166 – 19 October 1216), also known as John Lackland, was King of England from 1199 until his death in 1216. John lost the Duchy of Normandy and most of his other French lands to King Philip II of France, resulting in the collapse of the Angevin Empire and contributing to the subsequent growth in power of the French Capetian dynasty during the 13th century. The baronial revolt at the end of John's reign led to the sealing of Magna Carta, a document sometimes considered an early step in the evolution of the constitution of the United Kingdom. For more information see :

Stanley Darling

  • Person
  • 17 Aug 1907-18 Nov 2002

Captain Stanley Darling, O.B.E., D.S.C. and 2 Bars, V.R.D., R.A.N.R. Captain Walker 's Second Escort Group (R.N.) of Anti-submarine Frigates justly earned their fame as a deadly and greatly feared submarine killer group, and an Australian Naval Officer, Lieut. Commander S. Darling, was perhaps the Group's most skillful hunter of the skulking U-boats. Born in Bellerive, Tasmania, in 1907, Stanley Darling was educated at Hutchins School and at the University of Tasmania, graduating as a Bachelor of Engineering in 1929.
For more information:

Ronald Campbell Smith

  • Person
  • 1900-1971

Ronald Campbell Smith joined the Tasmanian Government Railways as an apprentice in 1916 and worked for them until 1943 when he was transferred to the Commonwealth Department of Labour and National Service, as an industrial officer and later the District Employment Officer. He was an active member of the Australian Railways Union and the Amalgamated Engineering Union, and was employees' Advocate on the Appeal Board. He was also a member of the Hobart Trades Council. Active in the Australian Labor Party, he was elected President of the Tasmanian Section in 1936. He served on the Hobart Hospital Board from 1936 and was Vice-Chairman 1936-1950, and on the Peacock Hospital Board of Management from 1941 until 1971, being Chairman from 1952. He was appointed justice of the peace for the Hobart district in 1934. He also served as a stipendiary steward for the Hobart Greyhound Racing Club for ten years, and in his younger days he played football.

John Lyndon Weidenhofer

  • Person
  • 1908-1969

John (Jack) Lyndon Weidenhofer (b. 4 October 1908) married Nancy Heather Brister (b. 5 October 1913) on 28 September 1940 in Hobart.
Jack served in New Guinea during World War 2. He worked for the Mercury newspaper as a photographer and was later appointed to a position in the Education Department in the Visual Aids Branch, where he made films for use in school as teaching resources (see AB713/1/6575).
He died in May 1969 and his wife, Nancy, in September 1982. More : Family records and photographs held at

Daniel Ellis

  • Person
  • c1806-1890

Daniel Ellis, trade quarry man and carter, was convicted in 1829 and transported to Van Diemens Land. In 1834 he was sentenced to a further 7 years at Port Arthur.

Susanna Jane Earle

  • Person
  • 1880-1972

Susanna Jane was the daughter of Thomas Blackmore (1848-1929 or 30), a farmer of Nugent, and Louisa Maria, daughter of B Reardon of Forcett. On 30 April 1914, she married John Earle at St Andrew’s Church of England, Nugent, Tasmania. Susanna was an ardent member of the Labor Party, a vegetarian and theosophist.

John Earle

  • Person
  • 1865-1932

John Earle was a Tasmanian politician and trades union organizer. He was MHA for Waratah 1906-1909 and for Franklin 1909-1916, Attorney General and Premier 1909 and 1914-1916 and was Senator for Tasmania in the Commonwealth Parliament 1917-1922. John Earle (known as Jack) was born at Bridgewater, the son of C.S. Earle and Ann Theresa (McShane). He was apprenticed to a blacksmith in Hobart in 1882 and enrolled in classes in engineering and science, economics and socialism at the Mechanics Institute and became friendly with the City Librarian, A.J. Taylor. Later he became a trades union organizer and in 1901 chaired a meeting at Zeehan to form the Workers Political League (which became the Labor Party) and was elected its first president, demanding adult suffrage, an 8 hour day and free education. In October 1909 he led the first Tasmanian Labor Party Government but as a minority it lasted only a week. As Premier in 1914, a year of drought, he imported wheat to keep prices down. He married in 1914 Susanna Jane Blackmore, an ardent member of the Labor Party and a vegetarian and theosophist. They had no children. In 1932 John Earle died of cancer at Oyster Cove and was cremated in Melbourne. For more information see:

Economic Society of Australia and New Zealand. Tasmanian Branch

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-

The Tasmanian Branch of the Economic Society of Australia was formed in November 1924 at a meeting convened by L.F. Giblin (Tasmanian Government Statistician) and J.B. Brigden (Chair of Economics at the University of Tasmania) and D.B Copland (the pioneer of Economics at the University of Tasmania and its previous chair). A week later the branch's constitution was adopted and the then Governor of Tasmania, Sir James O'Grady was elected as its president. For more information see

G.P. Fitzgerald & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • 1892-2013

G.P. Fitzgerald and Company was an emporium retail business begun by George Parker Fitzgerald in 1892. It was bought out by Charles Davis Ltd in 1986 and continued business as 'Fitzgeralds' to 1995 when Harris Scarfe assumed control. G.P. Fitzgerald was a founding Director of the famous Cascades Brewery in Hobart and was one of three office bearers.

Waterloo (Ship)

  • Corporate body
  • 1815-1842

Waterloo was a merchant ship built at Bristol, England in 1815. On her first voyage she suffered a short-lived mutiny. She then made one voyage under charter to the British East India Company (EIC). She made four voyages transporting convicts from England to Australia, and two voyages from Ireland to Australia. On her seventh convict voyage Waterloo wrecked on 28 August 1842 in Table Bay with great loss of life.

For more information see

William Edwin Fuller

  • Person
  • 1885 - 1960

W. E. Fuller was born in Hobart on 26 December 1885. His father was manager of Walch's book department, which W. E. Fuller joined in 1904. He later worked for a short time for Angus & Robertson in Sydney, where he met Frances Ruby Evans, whom he married in 1910. From 1915 to 1918 he served with the A.I.F. and was wounded.
In 1920 he opened his own bookshop (merging briefly with Oldham, Beddome &Meredith between 1930 and 1932). In 1961 after his death Fullers Bookshop moved from 103 Collins Street to Cat & Fiddle Arcade and in 1962 the business was purchased by three employees, Cedric and Ian Pearce and Lindsay Hay, and moved to Murray Street, 1975.
W. E. Fuller was a keen repertory actor, and helped to found and maintain a repertory theatre in Hobart. He was also one of the pioneer broadcasters with the A.B.C. in the 1930s, giving regular talks on books, and also other broadcasts. He wrote plays, short stories and children's stories and published a novel in 1919, "Love, London and Lynette".

George Andrew Gatenby

  • Person
  • 1846-1870

George Andrew Gatenby (1846- 1870) was the grandson of Andrew Gatenby (1771-1848) of Barton Mill and son of William Gatenby (1809-1855) and Elizabeth (Towart) . In 1825 the Gatenbys erected a substantial flour-mill, using millstones they had brought with them to the colony, and cut a canal and banked a reservoir to supply the mill with water from the Isis River. This mill served the surrounding district for fifty years.

Australian Mutual Provident Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1849-

The Australian Mutual Provident Society was formed in 1849 as a non-profit life insurance company and mutual society. In 1998, it was demutualised into an Australian public company, AMP Limited, and listed on the Australian and New Zealand stock exchanges.

Alexander George Gurney

  • Person
  • 15 Mar 1902 - 4 Dec 1955

Alexander George Gurney (15 Mar 1902 - 4 Dec 1955), was an Australian cartoonist born in Morice Town, Devon, UK. After his father died in 1903, his mother (who was Australian) returned with him to Hobart, Tasmania, where she remarried. After leaving Macquarie Street State School at age 13, he served a seven year electrical apprenticeship with the Hydro-Electric Commission, studying art part-time in night classes at Hobart Technical School In 1939 he created the characters for which he became famous: Bluey and Curley, which first appeared in the "Picture-News" magazine then The Sun News-Pictorial in 1940 and syndicated throughout Australia, New Zealand and Canada. The strip, about a pair of soldiers. Was appreciated for the good-humoured way it depicted the Australian "digger" "mateship" and for its realistic us use of the Australian idiom. Alex visited army camps throughout
Australia and New Guinea to ensure authenticity. While in New - Guinea he contracted malaria and was incapacitated for some II time. The strip lost some of its appeal and readership when the pair returned to 'civvy' street. For more information see

John Grant

  • Person
  • d. 1825

John Grant (d. 1825) was the son of James and Margaret Grant of Nairn, Scotland and brother of James Grant (l786-1870). John arrived in V.D.L. in January 1823 as a merchant in partnership with Alexander B. Spark, who settled in Sydney. John acted as a merchant in Hobart in partnership with Bethune. James Grant sent from London introductions, consignments of harness, ale, printed cotton and other goods, advised his brother about the sale prices of hides, whale oil etc. in Liverpool and consulted him about other business possibilities, such as muskets to sell to the natives in New Zealand and other ideas. James and his wife Caroline (d. 1868) the daughter of John Neve of Tenterden, Kent, followed John and arrived in April 1824. James and his brother received grants of land in the Fingal Valley and James named his "Tullochgorum". However John became ill and took a trip to Sydney for his health and died
there on 11 December 1885, leaving most of his property to James.

Roderic O'Connor

  • Person
  • 1784-1860

Roderic O'Connor (1784-1860), public servant and landowner, was the son of Roger O'Connor and his first wife Louisa Anna, née Strachan. O'Connor's motives for emigrating to Van Diemen's Land can only be guessed, but the fact that he brought with him in his own ship Ardent his natural sons William and Arthur (Rattigan) may give the clue. They arrived in May 1824 and O'Connor, who had considerable capital, received a free 1000-acre (405 ha) grant on the Lake River. Here his experiences on his father's land and as a practical engineer were not wasted; bridges, weirs and farm buildings were among his early improvements. He lost no opportunity to increase his estate either by free grant or by shrewd purchase and in four years had trebled it. For more information see

Girls Industrial School Hobart

  • Corporate body
  • 1862-1945

The School was founded in June 1862, originally as the 'Hobart Town Female Refuge' to provide a home for neglected girls and train them in washing, sewing and domestic work. It was managed by a committee of ladies elected by subscribers, usually under the patronage of the Governor's wife, but five gentlemen were elected as governors and formed an advisory committee. The School occupied various temporary houses until 1873 when the committee leased buildings in the Barracks, which premises were extended in 1879 when the School took the protestant girls from the Queen's Orphan School, New Town, which was being closed. In 1892 it moved to 'Kensington House', Davey Street (now the Trades Hall) and finally in 1924 it moved to 'Maylands', Pirie Street, New Town. The School took 30 to 40 girls, usually between 6 and 14, but occasionally younger, and the committee liked to keep them beyond their committal period until they were 16 and trained for service, unless there were suitable relatives. They were usually referred by a magistrate and supported by the Government, by relatives or by donations and the little earned by laundry and sewing work. The children were looked after by a matron and sub-matron and ladies of the committee visited in turn. As well as instruction in domestic work the children were given some basic education, by a Schoolmistress appointed after the transfer of the Orphan School girls in 1879, and after 1925 attended state school, and also received religious instruction from local ministers or Sunday school teachers.
In February 1945 the School was transferred to the Salvation Army.
From the Cyclopedia of Tasmania 1900 :
Thirty two years ago, under the auspices and with the active assistance of kind-hearted Lady Gore Browne, wife of the Governor of the day, the ladies of Hobart founded the Hobart Industrial School for Girls, an institution that has had an uninterrupted career of usefulness and success ever since. Its objects at first were mainly to reclaim the fallen, but after some experience it was wisely decided to take the young and train them in those paths which only lead to pleasantness and peace. There was no written constitution at the outset, but the principles under which it continued to be managed were, in 1890, embodied in a document which set forth :—" 1. That the school shall be for the education, maintenance, and training of such classes of children as described in the Industrial Schools Act, 1867. 2. That there shall be five governors elected to remain in office until their successors are appointed. That all subscribers be empowered to vote in the election of such Governors. 3. That the management and control of the school be vested in a committee of not less than ten, nor more than twenty, ladies, to be elected by the donors and subscribers. 4. That the committee of management have power to remove officers and fix salaries, and that they shall submit an annual report in January of each year." The class of girls admitted into the school consists of poor and unprotected children, who are sent by the administrator of charitable grants (Mr. F. R. Seager.) They range from very young children upwards, and no girl is allowed to leave the institution till she is sixteen years of age. The Government contribute 5s. per week for each child for the specified time she is committed to the care of the institution, in some cases two years and some five years. They are then supported until they leave by the funds of the institution. When an inmate is sufficiently trained for private service, arrangements are made by the committee in connection with the matron, for her discharge, to such employment as may seem fit, subject in each case to the approval of the managers. Instruction is given in reading, writing, and arithmetic, needlework, laundry work, cooking, and general housework. The school is Protestant unsectarian. About forty children pass through it each year. Of late years the subscriptions have been falling off, but the school is still sound financially, though more funds are required for special cases. The building now occupied as a school (formerly Kensington House), has cost over £4000, which has been practically paid for. It is well situated in Davey Street, and in every way suitable for the purpose. Among the pioneer workers who rendered special service to the school for years was Mrs. Crowther, widow of the late Hon. Dr. Crowther, who is still alive in England. The venerable honorary secretary, Mrs. Harriet M. Salier, has filled that position since the inception of the school. For thirty-two years she has devoted herself to forwarding its best interests, not only as secretary, but in every direction possible, and it has been and is with her truly " a labour of love." Her son, Mr. Fred. J. Salier, has been honorary treasurer for twenty years, and has also rendered most valuable service to the institution. The present president, Mrs. Hardy, daughter of Sir Henry Edward Fox Young, one of our late governors, is most indefatigable in attending to the interests of the school. Officers for 1899-1900 :— Patroness, Lady Gormanston ; president, Mrs. Hardy ; governors, Messrs. G. Patten Adams, Justice Clark, C. J. Maxwell, Fred. J. Salier, Hon. W. Crosby ; hon. treasurer, Fred. J. Salier ; committee, Mesdames G. Adams, James, Barnard, Barrett, D. Barclay, E. Burgess, H. Chapman, W. Crosby, E. L. Crowther, Cook, Kite, Davies, Montgomery, J. G. Parker, Perkins, C. J. Maxwell, Hudspeth, Bernard Shaw, Miss Nutt; hon. secretary, Mrs. Harriet M. Salier; hon. auditor, Mr. R. M. Johnston ; trustees, Messrs. Chas. Butler, C. E. Walch, F. J. Salier.

Mary Ann Meredith

  • Person

Second wife of George Meredith and mother to :• Henry (1821-1836) • John (1822-1909) • Maria (1822-1882) • Edwin (1827-1907) • Clara (1828-1904) • Fanny (1831-1910) • Rosina (1833-1858)

George Meredith Jnr

  • Person
  • 1806-1836

George, eldest son on George Meredith (Snr). on emigrating to Van Diemens Land received a land grant next to his father's at Swanport and also worked for his father in the whale oil business and with the stock, he later settled in South Australia where he was killed by natives in 1836.

Charles Meredith

  • Person
  • 1811–1880

Charles Meredith was born on 29 May 1811 in Pembrokeshire, son of George Meredith. Charles sailed with his father and other children for Van Diemen's Land and arrived in March 1821. Denied a land grant by Lieutenant-Governor Arthur, Charles moved to New South Wales in 1834 and bought sheep which he placed upon terms with pastoralists in the Murrumbidgee area. He also took up shares with W. A. Brodribb in a cattle run in the Maneroo district and in 1838 went to England. On 18 April 1839 he married Louisa Ann Twamley (1812-1895) at Old Edgbaston Church, Birmingham. They sailed for Sydney in the Letitia and arrived in September. While Charles inspected sheep stations on the Murrumbidgee Louisa stayed at Bathurst. After a few weeks in Sydney they moved to Homebush. In 1840 Charles, Louisa and a young son went to Oyster Bay, Tasmania, where his father owned Cambria. They bought an adjoining estate, Springvale, and in August 1842 moved to their newly-built house. He was elected to the House of Assembly in 1860. For more information see

Sabina Meredith

  • Person
  • 1810-1877

Sabina married John Boyes on 9th March 1833. They had 10 children - Louisa (1834-1925), Isabella (1835-1885), Sabina Meredith (1838-1892), Charles Crofton (1838-1892),George Campbell (1841-1910 Admiral R.N.),John Edward(1843-1915 General), Frank Gordon ( ? ), Duncan, ( -1869 RN.VC. NZ.),Helen Campbell ( -1918), son (1854-1854),

George Llewellyn Meredith

  • Person
  • 1855-1937

Second don of John Meredith and Maria Hammond. Grandson of George and Mary Ann Meredith. Married Alicia Louisa MacLean on 24 July 1886 in St. John’s Church, Darlinghurst, Sydney. They had two son's- Gwynydd Purves Wynne-Aubrey Meredith (1887-1975) and Ewen Harcourt Wynne-Aubrey MEeredith (1892-1968)

George Meredith

  • Person
  • 1777 -1856

George Meredith (1777-1856), settler, was born on 13 February 1777 near Birmingham, England, the fourth son of John Meredith and his wife Sally, née Turner; his father was a prominent barrister and solicitor and descended from the ancient Amerydeth family of Devon and Wales. In 1796 Meredith was commissioned second lieutenant in the marines and later served in the West Indies, at the blockade of Ferrol in Spain and on the Mediterranean Station. At Alexandria in 1803 he made a daring ascent of Pompey's Pillar, a granite column 180 feet (55 m) high, to fasten the Union Jack in place of a French cap-of-liberty placed there by Napoleon's forces. In 1805 when recruiting in Berkshire he met and married Sarah, the daughter of H. W. Hicks. Next year he retired on half-pay and commenced farming at Newbury; later the family move to Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, and farmed there until 1819 when the post-war rural depression stimulated his interest in emigration. He then had two boys and three girls, the eldest being 13. For more information see :

John Meredith

  • Person
  • 1822-1909

Son of George and Mary Ann (Evans) Meredith born at Great Swanport, Tasmania on 31 October 1822 and he died at Swansea, Tasmania on 13 February 1909. He was elected to the House of Assembly for the first time on 8 June 1861 for Glamorgan, in November 1862 for Deloraine, in June 1865 for Ringwood and in October 1866 for Glamorgan again. His departure from the House of Assembly was March 1871, after nearly 10 years as a M.H.A. elected as the President of the Glamorgan Agricultural Association at its inception. He promoted the interests of the district of Greater Swanport respecting the erection of wharves for transport of agricultural products to market .

Maria Hammond

  • Person
  • 1827-1912)

Maria Hammond (1827-1912), ward of James Grant of Tullochgorum, Fingal, Tasmania married John Meredith (1822-1909), son of George and Mary Ann (Evans) Meredith in 1851.
They had ten children: Mary Rose (Polly 1852-1884), Henry Montague (1854-1902), George Llewellyn (Llewellyn 1855-1937), Clara Sabina ("Kiddie"1857-1924), James Ernest (1859-1910), Fanny Maria (1862- ), Jessie Rosina (1863-1944), John Percival (Jack or Johnnie 1865-1916), Edwin Mervyn (Mervyn 1867-1929) and Elsie Dry (1869-1918). Several of John and Maria's sons settled in N.S.W. or Queensland but Llewellyn returned to Cambria. The eldest daughter, Mary Rose, married in 1878 George Albert Mace of, Rostrevor, Spring Bay, but they both died in December 1884 and their children, Mary Rose (Molly 1879-1918), Fanny Rosina (1880-1950), and Trevor Ellis (1881- ) were brought up by their grandparents and aunts at Cambria, and the baby, Violet Ethel (1883- ), was adopted by Henry and Minna Meredith

James Grant

  • Person
  • 1786-1870

James Grant was the son of James and Margaret Grant of Nairn, Scotland. James Grant (1786-1870) and his wife Caroline ( -1868), daughter of John Neve of Tenterden, Kent, U.K.) arrived in Tasmania by the "Heroine" in April 1824, following his brother John who had arrived in January 1823, as a merchant, partner in Grant and Bethune. John Grant obtained adjoining land grants for himself and his brother and James arranged to send merino sheep, seed, harness, etc. for him and also arranged for farm labouring families to emigrate as servants. However John moved to Sydney for his health and died there in 1825 leaving his property to James. James named his property Tullochgorum. For some years he lived mainly in Hobart acting as Lloyds' agent, of his Hobart homes being "Cottage Green", but he visited his property regularly and established a home and sheep run there.
James and Caroline Grant had two children, James (1823-1890) and Rose (1831-1905)
and several other babies who died.
A friend, James Meers Hammond (1797-1830), son of William Hammond, ironrnonger of London, and Eliza (Mitchell), accompanied the Grants to Tasmania. He
also received a grant of land in the Fingal Valley but lost it through absence when he returned to England in 1826-8 and again 1828-9. He died in 1830 and his wife, Eliza (King) and an infant daughter died in 1831 (the 2 eldest children, Tom and Rachel, having died earlier) leaving a four year old orphaned daughter Maria, who was adopted as their foster daughter by James and Caroline Grant. James Grant appealed to Governor Arthur on behalf of little Maria and she was granted 1000 acres in the Avoca district named Melrose, which she held until she died in 1912. James Hammond's brother, Thomas Mitchell Hammond (1795-1854), a surgeon of Brixton U.K., married Caroline Grant's sister, Maria Neve (1794-1826) in April 1824. They had a son, Thomas Montague, in 1826 before Maria died. Thomas later married Ellen Demain and had 6 other children (Horatio, Ellen, Percy, Sydney, Matilda, Emily). Thomas Montague (called Montague) Hammond (1826-1860) was consumptive and travelled to Tasmania for his health with his cousin James Grant, who had been in England to attend a London College. The Grants' son, James (1823-1890) married Charlotte Mary Thomas (? 1823-1875), daughter of Jocelyn and Charlotte (Partridge) Thomas of Northdown in 1851 and settled first at Garth, part of Grant's property, and Melrose until their house was burnt down and then at Tullochgorum, and they had children: James Henry (Harry), Edward (Ted), Katherine Mary (Kate), Wallace Partridge, Edith Caroline, Franklin Stanhope and Herbert. Charlotte died in 1875 and James later married Miss Cobham. Rose Grant (1831-1905) married her cousin (Thomas) Montague Hammond (1826-1860) in 1853 and had 4 children: Caroline Mary (Lina), Rose Katherine, Jessie Harriet and a boy who died in infancy. They lived at Emley Park, Balian, Victoria until Montague's death in 1860, when Rose and her children returned to Tullochgorum. She later moved to Launceston and finally settled in Victoria.

Maria Hammond (1827-1912) married John Meredith (see above) and her daughter, Jessie Rosina (1863-1944), married her cousin Franklin Grant (1860-1926), son of James and Charlotte, who had settled in Queensland. A sister of James Grant sen., Alice C. married a Mr Wallace, and settled at Elderslie near Geelong. A nephew of James Hammond, Edward Pilgrim, a medical practitioner, son of Elizabeth Hammond and Edward William Pilgrim, came to Australia in 1853 and after practising in Victoria near his cousin he moved to Fingal, Tasmania, and later Swansea.

Results 1 to 100 of 873