Adam Amos

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

Adam Amos

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1774 - 1845


Adam and his brother John were the eldest sons of James Amos and Helen (Nellie) Hoy who married at Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland in 1771. The brothers arrived with George Meredith aboard the 'Emerald' arriving in Van Diemen’s Land at Hobart town on March 17th 1821. The brothers settled on the east coast of Tasmania at Cranbrook. Adam was appointed in May 1822 to be the first District Constable of Swanport, acting also as coroner and pound keeper and by 1823 Adam and John between them owned around 1,700 acres. Within 10 years these lands had increased through further grants to 6400 acres (over 2500ha) comprising the present-day Cranbrook, Glen Heriot, Gala (at one time known as The Mill, then Gala Mill) and Glen Gala. Melrose was the name given to a square mile of the 2000-acre grant made to Adam in 1828. Adam Amos of "Glen Gala"


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places