
Zone d'identification
Cote
Titre
Date(s)
- 1883 (Production)
Niveau de description
Pièce
Étendue matérielle et support
1 photograph, 1 negative
Zone du contexte
Nom du producteur
Histoire administrative
The School was founded in June 1862, originally as the 'Hobart Town Female Refuge' to provide a home for neglected girls and train them in washing, sewing and domestic work. It was managed by a committee of ladies elected by subscribers, usually under the patronage of the Governor's wife, but five gentlemen were elected as governors and formed an advisory committee. The School occupied various temporary houses until 1873 when the committee leased buildings in the Barracks, which premises were extended in 1879 when the School took the protestant girls from the Queen's Orphan School, New Town, which was being closed. In 1892 it moved to 'Kensington House', Davey Street (now the Trades Hall) and finally in 1924 it moved to 'Maylands', Pirie Street, New Town. The School took 30 to 40 girls, usually between 6 and 14, but occasionally younger, and the committee liked to keep them beyond their committal period until they were 16 and trained for service, unless there were suitable relatives. They were usually referred by a magistrate and supported by the Government, by relatives or by donations and the little earned by laundry and sewing work. The children were looked after by a matron and sub-matron and ladies of the committee visited in turn. As well as instruction in domestic work the children were given some basic education, by a Schoolmistress appointed after the transfer of the Orphan School girls in 1879, and after 1925 attended state school, and also received religious instruction from local ministers or Sunday school teachers.
In February 1945 the School was transferred to the Salvation Army.
From the Cyclopedia of Tasmania 1900 :
Thirty two years ago, under the auspices and with the active assistance of kind-hearted Lady Gore Browne, wife of the Governor of the day, the ladies of Hobart founded the Hobart Industrial School for Girls, an institution that has had an uninterrupted career of usefulness and success ever since. Its objects at first were mainly to reclaim the fallen, but after some experience it was wisely decided to take the young and train them in those paths which only lead to pleasantness and peace. There was no written constitution at the outset, but the principles under which it continued to be managed were, in 1890, embodied in a document which set forth :—" 1. That the school shall be for the education, maintenance, and training of such classes of children as described in the Industrial Schools Act, 1867. 2. That there shall be five governors elected to remain in office until their successors are appointed. That all subscribers be empowered to vote in the election of such Governors. 3. That the management and control of the school be vested in a committee of not less than ten, nor more than twenty, ladies, to be elected by the donors and subscribers. 4. That the committee of management have power to remove officers and fix salaries, and that they shall submit an annual report in January of each year." The class of girls admitted into the school consists of poor and unprotected children, who are sent by the administrator of charitable grants (Mr. F. R. Seager.) They range from very young children upwards, and no girl is allowed to leave the institution till she is sixteen years of age. The Government contribute 5s. per week for each child for the specified time she is committed to the care of the institution, in some cases two years and some five years. They are then supported until they leave by the funds of the institution. When an inmate is sufficiently trained for private service, arrangements are made by the committee in connection with the matron, for her discharge, to such employment as may seem fit, subject in each case to the approval of the managers. Instruction is given in reading, writing, and arithmetic, needlework, laundry work, cooking, and general housework. The school is Protestant unsectarian. About forty children pass through it each year. Of late years the subscriptions have been falling off, but the school is still sound financially, though more funds are required for special cases. The building now occupied as a school (formerly Kensington House), has cost over £4000, which has been practically paid for. It is well situated in Davey Street, and in every way suitable for the purpose. Among the pioneer workers who rendered special service to the school for years was Mrs. Crowther, widow of the late Hon. Dr. Crowther, who is still alive in England. The venerable honorary secretary, Mrs. Harriet M. Salier, has filled that position since the inception of the school. For thirty-two years she has devoted herself to forwarding its best interests, not only as secretary, but in every direction possible, and it has been and is with her truly " a labour of love." Her son, Mr. Fred. J. Salier, has been honorary treasurer for twenty years, and has also rendered most valuable service to the institution. The present president, Mrs. Hardy, daughter of Sir Henry Edward Fox Young, one of our late governors, is most indefatigable in attending to the interests of the school. Officers for 1899-1900 :— Patroness, Lady Gormanston ; president, Mrs. Hardy ; governors, Messrs. G. Patten Adams, Justice Clark, C. J. Maxwell, Fred. J. Salier, Hon. W. Crosby ; hon. treasurer, Fred. J. Salier ; committee, Mesdames G. Adams, James, Barnard, Barrett, D. Barclay, E. Burgess, H. Chapman, W. Crosby, E. L. Crowther, Cook, Kite, Davies, Montgomery, J. G. Parker, Perkins, C. J. Maxwell, Hudspeth, Bernard Shaw, Miss Nutt; hon. secretary, Mrs. Harriet M. Salier; hon. auditor, Mr. R. M. Johnston ; trustees, Messrs. Chas. Butler, C. E. Walch, F. J. Salier.
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Deposited by W. Hudspeth
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Photograph of the girls and staff of the Girls Industrial School when it was located at Barrack Square in 1883. Photograph shows part of the building with a group of girls and staff. (See the minutes of the GIS for 1883) Photographer was H. Bailey, Hobart.
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
Accroissements
Mode de classement
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Conditions d’accès
Open
Conditions de reproduction
This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au
When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Notes de langue et graphie
Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques
Instruments de recherche
Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux
Existence et lieu de conservation des copies
Unités de description associées
Note de publication
Mercury (Hobart) Saturday 24th December 1870 - Hobart Town Industrial School for Females https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/67111447
Note de publication
Mercury (Hobart) Tuesday 28th November 1871 - Hobart Town Industrial School for Girls https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8869572
Note de publication
Mercury (Hobart) Monday 18th April 1887 - Girls Industrial and Reformatory Training Schools https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/9133073
Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)
Mots-clés
Mots-clés - Sujets
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Identifiant de la description
Identifiant du service d'archives
Règles et/ou conventions utilisées
Statut
Niveau de détail
Dates de production, de révision, de suppression
CE September 2018
Langue(s)
Écriture(s)
Sources
Document numérique - métadonnées
Latitude
Longitude
Type de support
Image
Type MIME
image/jpeg