Showing 545 results

Authority record

Adam Amos

  • Person
  • 1774 - 1845

Adam and his brother John were the eldest sons of James Amos and Helen (Nellie) Hoy who married at Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland in 1771. The brothers arrived with George Meredith aboard the 'Emerald' arriving in Van Diemen’s Land at Hobart town on March 17th 1821. The brothers settled on the east coast of Tasmania at Cranbrook. Adam was appointed in May 1822 to be the first District Constable of Swanport, acting also as coroner and pound keeper and by 1823 Adam and John between them owned around 1,700 acres. Within 10 years these lands had increased through further grants to 6400 acres (over 2500ha) comprising the present-day Cranbrook, Glen Heriot, Gala (at one time known as The Mill, then Gala Mill) and Glen Gala. Melrose was the name given to a square mile of the 2000-acre grant made to Adam in 1828. Adam Amos of "Glen Gala"

Adam Beveridge

  • Person

Adam Beveridge (1799-c1846), born Fifeshire, Scotland, arrived in VDL in 1824, with Robert Ralston, married his daughter Margaret Ralston (1805-1886) at Hobart Town in 1825. They lived in NSW and Launceston, VDL until at least 1843 when he became insolvent, went to Hong Kong and died c1846. His wife Margaret died at Launceston, Tasmania in 1886. Bought the "Supply Mill" in partnership with Robert Ralston in September 1828 principally tor the purpose of manufacturing Flour for exporation. he kept a store in Launceston, at which people could buy flour, meal and bran and also ship's biscuit. In 1829 he bought the small boat, the Maid of the Mill, to carry the flour to various spots on the Tamar.

Adam Turnbull

  • Person
  • 1803-1891

Adam Turnbull (1803-1891), medical practitioner, public servant and Presbyterian minister, was born on 4 November 1803 at Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, the eldest son of Dr Adam Turnbull. Adam Turnbull junior was educated at Edinburgh High School and obtained the degree of M.D. in that city before he was 21. He married Margaret, daughter of George Young, of Tolcross, Edinburgh. In 1824 the Colonial Office promised him a land grant in Van Diemen's Land, and with his wife and three brothers he arrived at Hobart Town in the City of Edinburgh on 13 April 1825. For more information see:

Adam Turnbull Taylor

  • Person
  • ?1855-1922

Adam Taylor was living in Mowbray Heights at the time of his death on 4/11/1922. He had two sisters and seven brothers – one of them William to whom this letter is written. He never married and had no children. His family had been in Tasmania since his grandfather George Taylor (1758-1828) emigrated to VDL in 1822 and received a land grant on the Macquarie River, which he named Valleyfield.

Albert George Ogilvie

  • Person
  • 1890–1939

Albert George Ogilvie (1890-1939), premier, was born on 10 March 1890 at the Victoria Tavern, Hobart, son of James Ogilvie, publican (son of a convict smith), and his wife Kate, née McGee. Ogilvie attended Buckland's School in Hobart and St Patrick's College, Ballarat, Victoria. He afterwards retained some tie with the Catholic Church. In 1913 he completed a law degree at the University of Tasmania, showing ability as both scholar and athlete. After serving articles with N. K. Ewing, he was admitted to the Bar in 1914 and established a reputation for persuasion of juries in criminal cases.
Ogilvie advised trade unions, and entered Labor politics, winning the seat of Franklin in the House of Assembly in May 1919.
For more information see :

Alec Bolton

  • Person
  • 1926-1996

Alec Bolton worked as an editor with Angus and Robertson in Sydney and in London, with Ure Smith and as publisher to the National Library of Australia also as an editor on the Australian Encyclopaedia during the 1950s. For the last twenty years of his life he designed and handprinted books for his own small but renowned literary press, Brindabella. For more information see :

Alex Lachlan Williams

  • Person

Alex Lachlan Williams was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania on 20 April 1893. He set up practice in the Stone Buildings, Hobart, but about 1896 he moved to Queenstown. His family apparently had a store in Zeehan, which was leased and mortgaged when they moved to Hobart. Two of his brothers, Tasman Henry and Ernie, did some prospecting and mine share dealing, although letters suggest there was a depression in the Tasmanian West Coast mining business at that time. Alex Williams acted as agent for the Mount Lyell Reserve Mine shares and other mine share business. He also acted as solicitor for the Queenstown Council and for Burgess Brothers of Hobart. Much of the work of his Queenstown practice was in small debt recovery. In 1899 he sold out to Murdoch and Jones and, after working for a month or two in the Zeehan office settling outstanding business, he apparently moved to Melbourne and set up an office there. His mother's father, Owen Davis, lived at Whangaroa, New Zealand and wrote a letter in 1896 about prospects for lawyers there being good owing to the mine boom.

Alexander Cairnduff

  • Person
  • 1815-1880

Appointed religious instructor of a proposed labour depot in Hobart Town for Pentonville convicts. With his wife Margaret he sailed in the Sir George Seymour, arriving at Hobart in February 1845. The depot was not ready, so Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Eardley-Wilmot appointed him religious instructor at Port Arthur. In 1846 he was moved to the coal-mines probation station in February and to the station at Long Point, Maria Island, in August. Humble and humane of purpose, he scorned the futility of instructing convicts by 'dull mechanical routine' and governing them by 'blind, naked strength'. His enlightened methods won repute. In the Sir George Seymour 151 male adult convicts presented him with a thankful address for his care, and his methods attracted the attention of James Backhouse and George Washington Walker, who used his information to stoke the fires of reform in England. For more information see :

Alexander Cheyne

  • Person
  • 1785-1858

Alexander Cheyne (1785-1858), son of John Cheyne of Leith, Scotland, was a captain in the Royal Engineers. In 1834, after retiring from the army he emigrated to Australia and settled first in Western Australia put arrived in Hobart in December 1835 and became Director General of Roads and Bridges and in 1838 Director of Public Works. He was dismissed in 1848 partly owing to the personal animosity of the colonial secretary John Montague. He contracted to supply water to Launceston but suffered from' long delays in payment of bills by the Government. He then became supervisor of Launceston's. swamp draining but was injured and permanently lamed in a coach accident. In 1847 he was appointed director of Hobart Water Works but was dismissed in 1848. In 1852 he became assistant superintendent of road works.' . He was a Presbyterian, superintendent of the Sunday School and a friend of Rev. John Lillie and Dr. Adam Turnbull. for more information see :

Alexander Dawson

  • Person
  • 1856–1862

In 1843, Alexander Dawson was employed as a Foreman of Works by the Civil Branch of the Royal Engineers in Dover, England. In February 1844 he was posted to Van Diemen's Land, arriving in Hobart Tasmania, in October 1844. He served as a Senior Clerk of Works in the Office of the Ordnance and was involved in supervising various Military and Civil works in the colony. In 1848, Dawson was asked to design and supervise the construction of a 3 storey school house in the Gothic style. The High School was officially opened in January 1850 and eventually became the first building of the University of Tasmania. for more information see:

Alexander George Gurney

  • Person
  • 15 Mar 1902 - 4 Dec 1955

Alexander George Gurney (15 Mar 1902 - 4 Dec 1955), was an Australian cartoonist born in Morice Town, Devon, UK. After his father died in 1903, his mother (who was Australian) returned with him to Hobart, Tasmania, where she remarried. After leaving Macquarie Street State School at age 13, he served a seven year electrical apprenticeship with the Hydro-Electric Commission, studying art part-time in night classes at Hobart Technical School In 1939 he created the characters for which he became famous: Bluey and Curley, which first appeared in the "Picture-News" magazine then The Sun News-Pictorial in 1940 and syndicated throughout Australia, New Zealand and Canada. The strip, about a pair of soldiers. Was appreciated for the good-humoured way it depicted the Australian "digger" "mateship" and for its realistic us use of the Australian idiom. Alex visited army camps throughout
Australia and New Guinea to ensure authenticity. While in New - Guinea he contracted malaria and was incapacitated for some II time. The strip lost some of its appeal and readership when the pair returned to 'civvy' street. For more information see

Alexander George Webster

  • Person
  • 1830-1914

Alexander George Webster (1830-1914), merchant, was born on 3 December 1830 in London. He spent two years at Cape of Good Hope with his mother and sister before they sailed to Sydney in the Roxburgh Castle; they arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1840. Educated at the Melville Street school in Hobart Town and at a private boarding-school at Kempton, he was also a pupil of the artist Thomas Evans Chapman. Later, as an amateur he exhibited both water-colours and pencil drawings of the Tasmanian landscape.
At 14 Webster began work with Thomas Lowes, the Hobart auctioneer. He moved to Degraves Bros, who then combined sawmilling with the proprietorship of the Cascade Brewery, and in 1850 he joined the wool and grain store of C. T. Smith, his uncle. After Smith retired in 1856 Webster ran the business in partnership with his relation John Tabart, trading as Tabart and Webster. In 1879 after the retirement of Tabart Webster took his son Charles, into the business, which in 1888 became A.G. Webster & Son. The firm handled most of the Tasmanian wool business and Imported agricultural implements. The company was incorporated In 1910 and two other sons, Edwin and Arthur became dlrectors.
Webster was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Tasmania in 1865 and a member of its council in 1871; in 1905, as chairman, he read an address of welcome to the new governor Sir Gerald Strickland. He was also a justice of the peace, chairman of directors of the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co. and the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Co. of New Zealand, and chairman of the Perpetual Trustees Co. State trustee of the Tasmanian Museum and Botanical Gardens, Webster was also a master warden of the Marine Board, Hobart, and American consul in 1877-1907. He was a commissioner of fisheries; as chairman in 1903 he visited the Baird Hatchery in California, from where he successfully supervised the dispatch to Tasmania of some 500,000 Quinnat salmon ova.
He married Louisa Harriett Turnley at St David's Anglican Cathedral, Hobart, on 30 November 1859 they had eight children.

For more information see

Alexander Leicester McAulay

  • Person
  • 1895 - 1969

Professor A. L. McAulay (1895 - 1969), Professor of Physics 1927 - 1959 and formerly lecturer 1922 - 1926 and student assistant 1914 - 1916, was the son of Professor Alexander McAulay. He was educated at the Hutchins School, University of Tasmania (Bsc 1916), Cambridge University, (SA 1921, MA 1926), University of Manchester (PhD 1921) and the Cavendish Institute under Lord Rutherford. Under him the physics department grew into one of the most active in Australia. He undertook and directed research into a variety of topics, including particle physics, cosmic radiation and metal surface electrochemistry. His experiments were simple and aimed at the basic problems and his students learned to think carefully about the aims and underlying principles of their work. He was interested in biophysics. During the war he established an optics laboratory to supply prism and lenses for military equipment. for more information see :

Alexander Maconochie

  • Person
  • 1787-1860

Alexander Maconochie (11 February 1787 – 25 October 1860) was a Scottish naval officer, geographer, and penal reformer.
In 1840, Maconochie became the Governor of Norfolk Island, a prison island where convicts were treated with severe brutality and were seen as lost causes. Upon reaching the island, Maconochie immediately instituted policies that restored dignity to prisoners, achieving remarkable success in prisoner rehabilitation. These policies were well in advance of their time and Maconochie was politically undermined. His ideas would be largely ignored and forgotten, only to be readopted as the basis of modern penal systems over a century later in the mid to late 20th century. In 1836 he sailed to the convict settlement at Hobart in Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania) as private secretary to the Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Franklin. Here he wrote a report strongly critical of the state of prison discipline. The convict system, being fixated on punishment alone, released back into society crushed, resentful and bitter expirees, in whom the spark of enterprise and hope was dead. Maconochie's report “can be said to mark the peak and incipient decline of transportation to Australia” when it was given to Lord Russell, the Home Secretary and ardent critic of transportation, claims Robert Hughes. Although this report was used by the Molesworth Committee on transportation in 1837-38, the criticism of this work forced Franklin to dismiss him. For more information see

Alexander McGregor

  • Person
  • 1821-1896

Alexander McGregor (1821-1896), shipowner and merchant, and John Gibson McGregor (1830-1902) arrived in Tasmania from Scotland with their parents, James and Janet McGregor. The brothers served apprenticeships under a shipwright, John Watson, and then started building boats. Alexander acquired the Domain Shipyard in 1855 with his brother John as foreman, but sold out to his brother in 1869.
Alexander McGregor started the firm of McGregor, Piesse & Co., general merchants of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, with Charles A. Piesse. They bought ships for exporting whale oil, blue gum, timber and wool, known as the "Red Iron" fleet, and they had a warehouse in Salamanca Place. The partnership was dissolved in 1886, possibly because the firm was getting into debt through McGregor's speculating in land and mine ventures. In his last years Alexander McGregor speculated unwisely in various property and mine share deals and was involved in a number of legal actions. Alexander McGregor was a member of the Legislative Council 1880 - 1896.
In 1847 McGregor married Harriet Bayley (1829-1878), who gave her name to two of his ships, the "Hally Bayley" and the "Harriet McGregor", Harriet McGregor died in 1878 and Alexander married Margaret Pigdon about 1884. He had a house, Lenna, in Battery Point and other property. After his death his second wife Margaret (nee Pigdon) married agent Thomas Bennison.
For more information see

Alexander Russell Clark

  • Person
  • 1809-1894

Alexander Russell Clark was an engineer, who settled in Tasmania in 1833 and undertook contracts such as the Port Arthur water and tread corn mill, works at the coal mines and Launceston water works.His son, A.I. Clark served as an engineering apprentice with him, but turned to Law later. See:

Alfons Feuerle

  • Person
  • 1885-1962

Alfons Feuerle (1885-1962) was a medalist, jewelery artist and ivory plastic artist. After an apprenticeship as a steel engraver, he studied at the Munich School of Applied Arts under Fritz von Müller, Maximilian Dasio and Heinrich Waderé and at the Stuttgart Academy of Arts

Alfred Archer

  • Person

Alfred Archer was the son of William Archer (1789-1879) and his wife Caroline, of Brickendon, Tasmania.

Alfred Barrett Biggs

  • Person
  • 1825–1900

Alfred Barrett Biggs (1825-1900), teacher, bank officer, astronomer and inventor, was born on 10 April 1825 in London. He arrived in V.D.L. in 1833 with his family. In 1877 Biggs learned of the invention of the telephone. He then constructed a pair of telephones and had them connected between Launceston and Campbell Town, successfully transmitting sounds between the two locations. It has been claimed that this was the first telephone connection in Australia. He had an interest in astronomy and in 1879 he moved to Launceston and set up an observatory in Royal Park . Biggs was a diligent and pedantic observer and contributed reports to the local newspaper and from 1884 papers to the Royal Society of Tasmania, of which he was that year elected a fellow. He made observations and measurements of comets, double stars, eclipses and transits of Mercury and Venus (another transit of Venus occurred in 1882).
For more information see :

Alfred James Gatehouse

  • Person
  • 1827-1862

Farmer of Nonsuch, Wattle Hill, Sorell. Son of Silus Gatehouse (1790-1855) and Harriet Hansford (1793-1838)

Alfred Joseph Taylor

  • Person
  • 1849-1921

Alfred Joseph Taylor (1849-1921), librarian and publicist, was born on 24 March 1849 in Hobart Town, son of Thomas Joseph Taylor and his wife Emma. His father, son of Rev. Thomas Taylor, Witney, Oxfordshire, England, was transported from Sydney in 1842 under a life sentence for forgery; in 1849 he was a schoolteacher but from 1853 served as under-keeper at the New Norfolk Hospital for the Insane, and died in 1881 aged 69. In New Norfolk as a child Alfred suffered an accident which crippled him for life. He received little formal education but enthusiasm for books won him a post as librarian at New Norfolk in his teens. In January 1874 he became librarian of the Tasmanian Public Library which had been constituted in 1870. The appointment caused some stir, but he held it until his death. For more information see:

Alfred May

  • Person
  • 1862-1948

Alfred May, otherwise known as Alf, who was the son of William May and lived most of his life on the property at Sandford to which he came with his family in 1874. The orchard on the property enjoyed a very good reputation, successfully exporting to London. Alf contributed to the hard work this entailed. He still found time to devote himself to other pursuits and discovered a very real artistic talent as can be seen in the examples of his bird paintings.

Alfred Stephens

  • Person
  • 1802–1894

Sir Alfred Stephen (1802-1894), chief justice and legislator, was born on 20 August 1802 at Basseterre, St Christopher (St Kitts), West Indies, fourth son of John Stephen and his wife Mary Anne, née Pasmore. Stephen arrived at Hobart on 24 January 1825 and on 9 May was made Solicitor-General, and 10 days later, crown solicitor. In 1829 Stephen discovered a fatal error in land titles throughout the Australian colonies. The matter was rectified by royal warrant and the issuing of fresh titles in 1830. In January 1833 Stephen was gazetted attorney-general and showed great industry and ability in the position. He resign in 1837 due to ill health.
For more information see:

Alfred Threlkeld Mayson

  • Person
  • 1839

Born Great Swanport V.D.L. on 13th September 1839 to Joseph Mayson, Cleric in Holy Orders, and Elizabeth Mayson nee Hickson. Married Elizabeth Amos (1845- )daughter of farmer John Amos and his wife Elizabeth Amos nee Hepburn. Elizabeth Amos and Alfred Threlkeld Mayson married on the 25th September 1862 in the dwelling house of her father, John Amos, at Glenherriot, Glamorgan (Swansea, Tasmania), she was just 17 years old. Alfred Threlkeld Mayson, 23 yrs old, registered his occupation as Council Clerk. They were married in the rites of the United Church of England and Ireland, by Joseph Mayson, Chaplain, Alfred Mayson’s father. Elizabeth Mayson gave birth to two children while married to Alfred T. Mayson: Vernon in 1863 and Marion in 1869.

Alfred Winter

  • Person
  • 1837-1911

Alfred Winter was a sketcher and professional photographer. He worked first in Melbourne, moving to Tasmania in 1869. For more information see :

Alice Daisy Baker

  • Person
  • 1888-1952

Tasmanian poet and writer on Tasmanian historical subjects. She wrote a number of plays which were broadcast over national stations, many poems and a history of the Catholic Women's Association in Tasmania. Baker was actively associated with child welfare work and was a member of the Hobart branch of the Country Women's Association.
For more information see obituary: The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954) Mon 20 Oct 1952 Page 7 Hobart Authoress, Mrs. Alice Baker, Dies

Amelia Lucy Wayn

  • Person
  • c1862 - 1951

Nurse, historical researcher, indexer, honorary archivist. In the 1920s Amelia was employed as an Indexer by John Moore-Robinson, Librarian-Publicity Officer in the Chief Secretary's Department and continued as Honorary Archivist until a permanent Archivist was appointed in the late 1940s. She gave valuable service in compiling an index to the contents of early Tasmanian newspapers up to about 1856, and also the inward and outward Government Despatches which were held in the Chief Secretary's Office.? She quickly became recognised as the authority on the historical records of the State and over the next 20 years, or so, she undertook work and provided replies for a wide range of researchers.? For more information see

Andrew Clarke

  • Person
  • 1824 – 1902

Lieutenant General Sir Andrew Clarke, GCMG CB CIE (27 July 1824 – 29 March 1902) was a British soldier and governor, as well as a surveyor and politician in Australia. Clarke was the eldest of the four sons of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Andrew Clarke, the Governor of Western Australia (1793–1847). He sailed with the lieutenant-governor, Sir William Denison, aboard the Windermere and arrived at Hobart on 26 January 1847. For more information see:,_born_1824)

Andrew Crawford

  • Person
  • 1815–1899

Andrew Crawford (1815-1899), army officer and immigration promoter, was born on 23 January 1815 at Devonport, Plymouth, England, the third son of Andrew Crawford, naval officer, and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Linzee Penfold. At 18 he joined the East India Co. as an ensign and for thirty-eight years in India served in various regiments through many campaigns. In October 1867 the Tasmanian parliament passed An Act to amend the Immigration Act of 1855, and An Act to enable the Governor to Reserve Land for Settlement by Persons coming from India. The latter, to remain in force for three years but later extended, set aside 50,000 acres (20,234 ha) for Indian settlers. A committee known as Castra & Co. was set up in the Bombay Presidency and by 1876 Crawford had chosen for himself and other Anglo-Indians 9700 acres (3925 ha) at Castra. for more information see:

Andrew Downie

  • Person

Andrew Downie emigrated to Van Diemen's Land in 1822, arriving by the Skelton on 24 December 1822. He came of a Lowland farming family, but had been trained as a 'writer', or lawyer, by James Lucas of Stirling. Immediately on arrival in Van Diemen's Land he engaged himself as head shepherd to Thomas Wells, the owner of Allenvale in the Macquarie District. Thomas Wells was a cousin of Samuel Marsden, and had arrived in 1817 with Lieut.¬ Governor Sorell, to whom he was Private Secretary. Towards the end of 1823 Wells was in the Debtor's Gaol, but later became Accountant at the VDL Bank. Allenvale was sold to Major Thomas Fenton in 1820, and Wells died in 1833. By 1824 Downie had acquired some land of his own, by grant. This farm he called Thornhill, and during 1825 he cleared part of it and sowed crops, as well as running a flock of sheep. Early in 1826, in partner¬ship with Philip Russell, then of Dennistoun, he leased Col. Sorell's grant, Norton Mandeville, meanwhile leasing Thornhill to John Furener. The partnership with Philip Russell lasted until late 1836, and during this time Thornhill had been added to until it became the substantial property Glenelg at Gretna. The barns on Glenelg where built in 1833. In 1837 Andrew Downie returned to Scotland, where he married, and in August 1838 arrived back in Van Diemen's Land with his wife, and youngest brother, William. Another brother, Thomas had emigrated earlier, but he went to Port Phillip. Andrew Downie lived in Hobart Town, while William managed Glenelg. Later Andrew returned to Scotland, and when he died William inherited Glenelg.
The 1000 acres farming property, Glenelg at Gretna, was granted to Downie in 1824 by Governor Sorell and established the first merino flock. The property still in the Downie family today and still farming ultra fine merino fleece.

Andrew Gatenby

  • Person
  • 1771-1848

Andrew Gatenby (1771-1848), farmer, was born at Scarborough, Yorkshire, England. He married Hannah, née Maw, of Whitby, and leased Barton farm, near Whenby in the North Riding of Yorkshire, for some time before 1812 when he moved to Wales and occupied a farm, Talymaes Park, in Grwyne Fechan, Breconshire. Depressed farming conditions and a high rental caused him to emigrate to Van Diemen's Land, and he sailed with his family in the Berwick, arriving in Hobart Town in June 1823. Andrew was granted 1500 acres (607 ha) which he selected on the Pennyroyal Creek (Isis River) and named Barton. By 1825 the Gatenby family had erected a substantial flour-mill, using millstones they had brought with them to the colony, and cut a canal and banked a reservoir to supply the mill with water from the Isis River. This mill served the surrounding district for fifty years. They built the Barton homestead by 1828. For more information see:

Andrew Inglis Clark

  • Person
  • 1848-1907

A. I. Clark (1848 -1907), barrister, politician and judge was the youngest son of Alexander Russell Clark. After qualifying as an engineer he studied law and was called to the Bar in 1877.He practiced law and was for a time in partnership with Matthew Wilkes Simmons. However he was also a member of the House of Assembly 1878-1882 and 1887 - 1897 and was appointed Attorney General in 188~. Humanitarian and progressive, he introduced many reform bills. In 1898 he was appointed Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court and Senior Judge in 1901,and he was also Acting Governor in J. Stokell Dodds absence from the State in 1901, He was a,delegate to the Federal Councils of 1888. 1889. 1890. 1891 and 1894 and drafted a constitution based mainly on the Constitution of the U.S.A. Clark visited America in 1890 and 1897 and corresponded regularly with Oliver Wendell Holmes and other lawyers and Unitarians. Clark was an active member of debating and literary societies and was also interested in the Unitarian Church and he wrote many essays and speeches on political, philosophical and reliious topics. Few were published but many copies handwritten in exercise books were circulated among his friends.
A.I. Clark married in 1878 Grace Paterson Ross, daughter of John Ross, a Hobart shipbuilder. They had five sons: Alexander, a marine engineer; Andrew Inglis. another lawyer and judge: Conway, an architect; Wendell, a medical practitioner, and Carrell, Clerk to the House of Assembly. Another son, Melvin, died in infancy and there were two daughters, Ethel and Esma.

Ann Mather

  • Person
  • 1786-1831

Ann Mather (1786-1831) was the daughter of Rev. Joseph Benson (1749-1821), a prominent Methodist minister and friend of John Wesley. She married Robert Mather (c1782-1855)

Anna Maria Cotton

  • Person
  • 1800-1882

Anna Maria (nee Tilney) Cotton daughter of John Shelton Tilney of Chelmsford, shopkeeper, and his wife Susannah. Wife of Francis Cotton.

Anna Maria Mather

  • Person

Wife of Joseph Benson Mather

Archibald Lawrence Meston

  • Person
  • 1890-1951

Archibald Lawrence Meston (1890-1951), educationist, historian and anthropologist, was born on 5 June 1890 at Launceston, Tasmania. His most important anthropological work was the discovery and description of the rock carvings at Mount Cameron West in 1933. Another major addition to the study of Tasmanian prehistory was his initiation of large-scale excavation in the shell midden at the South Cave, Rocky Cape. Meston's collection of implements and other Aboriginal relics is now housed in the Museum of Victoria; his library is the property of the City of Launceston. For more information see entry in Australian Dictionary of Biography

Archibald Macarthur

  • Person
  • -1847

In December 1821, when the secessionist United Associate Presbytery of Edinburgh received a request from Scottish Presbyterians in Van Diemen's Land for a minister, Macarthur volunteered, and was ordained on 22 January 1822 as a missionary minister in Dr John Jamieson's Secession Chapel, Nicholson Street, Edinburgh. Macarthur arrived in the "Skelton" at Hobart Town in December 1822, the first Presbyterian minister in Australia. Macarthur was active in the Hobart community; he also established the Van Diemen's Land Missionary Society and was associated with the Temperance, the Infant School and the Auxiliary Bible Societies. For more information see:

Archibald Sillars Hamilton

  • Person
  • 1819-1884

Archibald Sillars Hamilton, known professionally as 'AS', became one of the most famous phrenologists in colonial Australia. Born in or before 1819 in Ayrshire, Scotland, he grew up as phrenology reached a frenzy of popularity in his native country. His father, Edward Hamilton, was a muslin manufacturer, but it was the influence of his mother, the popular phrenologist Agnes Sillars Hamilton, that determined his future livelihood. Hamilton arrived in Launceston in November 1854, and over the next 30 years lectured and gave private readings across Tasmania, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and both of New Zealand’s islands. In 1854, a private customer of Hamilton’s could opt for either a description of their character with advice (3 shillings, 6 pence), a written sketch of character (5 shillings), or a detailed character reading with a phrenological chart (10 shillings). Hamilton was given the head of Ned Kelly after his death and he published an account of the skull's phrenology. Phrenologists believed that the exterior of the skull directly reflected the surface of the brain, which itself comprised a multitude of organs responsible for functions ranging from love of children to religiosity, concentration, and social sympathy. Hamilton was charged in 1860 in Maitland with inciting to exhume corpses from a burial ground. His target in that case was the skull of the Aboriginal man Jim Crow, executed a few months earlier. Hamilton’s collection of human remains was a powerful drawcard to his lectures. By the time of his death, he had amassed some 55 skulls or parts thereof – about 30 Aboriginal, four Maori, one 'Hindoo', one Chinese, and the rest European. He sourced them not only through grave-robbing, but also through gifts and trades within the networks he forged in each new town. Hamilton died in Redfern, Sydney, in 1884
See :

Archibald Thomson

  • Person
  • 1794-1865

Archibald Thomson was born in Edinburgh Scotland in 1794, the son of John Thomson and Marion Brown. Leaving Scotland in 1822 on the ship “Castle Forbes” he took up a land grant in Van Diemen’s Land. For more information see:

Arndell Neil Lewis

  • Person
  • 1897-1943

Arndell Neil Lewis (1897-1943) MC.,LLD., lawyer and geologist, was born at Symmons Plains, son of Sir Elliott Lewis. He was educated at Leslie House School (later called Clemes College) and the University of Tasmania. His studies were interrupted by the war of 1914-18 when he served with the A.LP and received the Military Cross for his part in the capture of the Hindenburg Line on 27 September 1918 and after the war he continued his military sevice with the Militia while studying. He graduated LLB. in 1922, LLM. in 1924 and was awarded the doctorate of laws (the first conferred in the University of Tasmania) in 1930. He entered his father's firm, Lewis, Hudspeth, Perkins and Dear, in 1924 and was Acting Professor of Law at the University in 1925. In 1927 he married Amy Hungerford; His chief interest was in geology, however, and he contributed many papers on geology to the Royal Society of Tasmania's Papers & Proceedings and was elected a vice-president of the Society and a trustee of the Tasmanian Museum and the Botanical Gardens. He was Lecturer in Geology of the University 1926-1931. For more information see

Arthur Edmund Risby

  • Person
  • 1857-1915

Arthur Edmund Risby was born at Battery Point, Hobart on the 6 March 1857 to Isabella Wilson and Joseph Edward Risby. He was one of three brothers who were partners in Risby Brothers Timber Merchants

Arthur Gordon Lyne

  • Person
  • 1919-1991

Arthur Gordon Lyne (1919-1991), graduated BSc at the University of Tasmania in 1950, PhD 1958 and DSc in 1974. His speciality was the study of skin and hair growth. After a short period of study at Cambridge University, he was research zoologist at the University of Tasmania 1952 - 1953 and then joined the CSIRO in NSW.

Arthur James Drysdale

  • Person
  • 1887-1971

A. J. Drysdale (1887-1971) was a business man - first as a traveling butcher, then he built up a motor car business with a Ford car agency which he sold in 1932. He bought Wrest Point in 1935 and built a luxury hotel, where he had planned a casino, and sold it in 1947. In 1954 he began the Tasmanian Lotteries, noted for their large prizes, which once included Hadley's Hotel, Hobart. Drysdale had polio when young and also suffered from failing sight. His daughter, Norah Bates, and son-in-law assisted with the business and (1971) held the business records.
More information see:

Arthur Knight

  • AU TAS UTAS ITCCD 2017/2
  • Person
  • 1928-1993

Arthur Charles Eagle Knight (1928-1993), was an engineer, amateur inventor, sailor, steam buff, photographer, motorist and bushwalker, who was active in many community and cultural organisations in Tasmania, living most of his adult life at Lindisfarne on the eastern shore of the Derwent River. He was born in Launceston to parents, Charles Eagle Leonard (Len) Knight, a surveyor, originally of Windermere Park, Claremont, and Dorothy Muriel (nee Hutchinson), originally of Logan, Bothwell, whose father, Rev. Arthur Hutchinson, was an Anglican Church minister. Arthur’s parents lived in several locations as his father surveyed many parts of Tasmania. Arthur attended school at Clemes College, Hobart, then enrolled at Launceston Church Grammar School, where he matriculated in 1947, before completing an engineering degree at the University of Tasmania in Hobart. He worked as a civil engineer and hydraulics engineer from the early 1950s, firstly with the Hobart City Council, then the Hydro-Electric Commission from 1962. Arthur met his future wife Margaret through the Hobart Walking Club, which he joined in 1948, and they married in 1957, raising three children. At Arthur's suggestion, the Hobart Walking Club advised the Tasmanian Government’s Scenic Preservation Board in 1954 that a reserve should be declared around Lake Pedder in the state's south-west, and the area was turned into a National Park in 1955. Arthur initiated a walker’s safety booklet, Safety in the Bush, first published by the Hobart Bushwalking Club, in 1962. Arthur owned a Kodak 35mm camera to take Kodak colour slide photographs during his many bushwalks and later purchased a Pentax SLR camera with wide angle and zoom lenses. Arthur was also involved in the Tasmanian Transport Museum, the Maritime Museum of Tasmania and the Veteran Car Club of Australia (Tasmania). He built his own boiler and steam engine, adapted from Victa motor mower parts, to power a former cray fishing boat, and in 1962 bought a Rolls-Royce for 500 pounds, which he restored and ran with the Veteran Car Club. In his retirement he contributed to academic journals on fluid dynamics and hydraulic engineering. Arthur was unrelated to the engineer Allan Walton Knight (1910-1998) the long-serving Commissioner of the Hydro-Electric Commission.

Arthur Leake

  • Person
  • 1814-1890

Fifth son of John and Elizabeth Leake (nee Bell) of Rosedale, near Campbell Town. Married Mary Turnbull nee Gellion in 1878

Athur James Drysdale

  • Person
  • 1887-1971

A. J. Drysdale (1887-1971) was a business man - first as a traveling butcher, then he built up a motor car business with a Ford car agency (sold in 1932). He bought Wrest Point in 1935 and built a luxury hotel, where he had planned a casino, and sold it in 1947. In 1954 he began the Tasmanian Lotteries, noted for their large prizes, which once included Hadley's Hotel, Hobart. Drysdale had polio when young and also suffered from failing sight. His daughter, Norah Bates, and son-in-law assisted with the business and (1971) held the business records.
For more information see

Barrie de Jersey

  • D11
  • Person
  • 1936-2007

Barrie de Jersey (1936-2007) was an Australian pianist, composer and teacher who studied music at the Conservatorium High School in Hobart, the University of Tasmania and the Mozarteum University in Salzburg. On his return to Hobart, he was one of the founding staff members of the Music Department at the University of Tasmania, and continued his interest in music in retirement by teaching at the University of the Third Age. He was also a painter and potter, making and selling work as early as 1974. His ceramic works are signed with an incised 'B de J'.

Ben Ross

  • Person

Ben Ross is the director of the Oral History Company. ( He has documented stories for 25 years in family, community and corporate settings. He works as an independent radio producer, and has produced documentaries for ABC Radio, JJJ FM and community radio. He has a MA (Honours) from the University of Western Sydney for research into community story telling, and a Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism from the University of Tasmania. Ben also works for the Tasmanian Government, managing media campaigns, community engagement projects and producing health education resources. For more information see

Benjamin Bower Le Tall

  • Person
  • 1858-1906

Born Woodhouse, York 1858 died Hobart, Tasmania 1906. He was from of a well known South Yorkshire Quaker family and was son of a surgeon of the same name (d 1883). He was a field botanist, master at Bootham School, York, and also at the Friends’ School in Hobart, Tasmania.
He married Janet Drummond Wilson, of Fern Grove, Neerim, Victoria on December 6 1901, and they lived at Bootham Cottage , 55 Mount Stuart Road, Hobart.
After leaving Friends’ School, Le Tall offered tuition for university examinations

Benjamin Lane

  • Person
  • -1828

Captain Benjamin Lane of Great Yarmouth, U.K., was captain of the brig 'Harriot'. In 1806 the 'Harriot' was captured by the French near Calais and Captain Lane taken prisoner. Later he returned to Yarmouth but died at sea in February 1828 while on a voyage to Valparaiso in Chile.

Bernard Smith

  • Person
  • 1916-2011

Australian art historian, art critic and academic, considered one of the most eminent art historians of the 20th century. His book Place, Taste and Tradition: a study of Australian art since 1788 is a key text in Australian art history. Smith sold much of his art collection to fund one of the first art prizes for artists of Aboriginal background.

Bill Bush

  • Person
  • 1945-

Bill FitzHenry

  • Person
  • 1903–1957

William Ernest Fitz Henry (or FitzHenry) (1903–1957), generally known as Bill Fitz Henry, was an Australian journalist with The Bulletin. He was an active supporter of the Book Collectors Society of Australia, founded in 1944. For more information see:

Bolton Stafford Bird

  • Person
  • 1840-1924

Bolton Stafford Bird (1840-1924) was elected a member of the Tasmanian House of Assembly for Franklin in 1887, and served as Treasurer under P.O. Fysh until 1892, also acting as Postmaster General and Minister for Education. He represented Tasmania at the Federal Council of 1889 and the Federal Conventions of 1890 and 1891. From 1892 to 1894 he was Leader of the Opposition and Speaker from 1894-1897. He was again Treasurer 1899-1903. From 1909 until he retired in 1923 he was a member of the Legislative Council.

Stafford Bird was born at Hazlerigg, Northumberland, England, son of a schoolmaster Thomas Bird and his wife Ann (Stafford). His parents emigrated to Clunes, Victoria, in 1852. In 1865 Bird was admitted to the Wesleyan ministry, but changed to the Congregational Church in 1867 and was minister at Ballarat and Avoca, Victoria, until 1874 when he went to the Hobart Congregational Church, Davey Street. After three years he resigned through ill health and bought a farm, “Waterloo” and planted an apple orchard and was active in local affairs. He lost the farm when a lottery was held of properties mortgaged to the Bank of Van Diemen's Land which went bankrupt in 1891. It was won by Hedley Calvert, a retired sea captain from Sydney. Bird moved to a small farm at Lunawanna, Bruny Island, with his family. He had married in 1867 Helen, daughter of Robert Chisholm of Auckland (formerly of the Glasgow and Edinburgh Bank), and had a son, a mining surveyor; and two daughters, Ann Stafford (Mrs Smair, later Mrs. A.H. Garnsey) and Mrs. Weatherley. For more information see

Brian Robinson Elliott

  • Person
  • 1910-1991

Brian Elliott was a graduate of the University of Adelaide (B.A. 1931) and, for 35 years, a member of the English Department of the University. His academic career was notable for his contribution to teaching and research in Australian literature. for more information see :

Bruce Charles Mollison

  • Person
  • 1928-2016

Bruce Charles "Bill" Mollison (4 May 1928 – 24 September 2016) was an Australian researcher, author, scientist, teacher and biologist. In 1981, he was awarded the Right Livelihood Award "for developing and promoting the theory and practice of permaculture". In the 1970s, Mollison researched and published extensive genealogies of Tasmanian Aborigines, enabling many to prove their lineage, and assisting the emergence of the Tasmanian Aboriginal movement.
For more information see :

Bruce Scott

  • Person

Dr Bruce Scott, BSc 1945; PhD 1956 (Tasmania); DSc Hon Silpakorn Uni (Thailand) 1986, besides teaching and research in physics and biophysics at UTAS from 1945 to 1988, also served terms as Dean of the Faculty of Science and Chairman of the Schools Board of Tasmania. He was also involved with setting up linkages between universities in South East Asia and those in Australia and continued with this into retirement. Scott was a student of McAulays during the latter part of the war and then went on to become part of the staff in 1945, gaining his PhD, with McAulay as his supervisor, in 1956
For more information see:

Campbell Howard

  • Person
  • 1906–1984

Campbell Howard (1906–1984) was born in Ballarat and educated at the Sydney Teachers’ College, New England University College and the University of Melbourne. He held a number of positions in the New South Wales Department of Education. In 1956 he joined the Department of Adult Education at the University of New England. He retired, as Director of the Department, in 1972. For more information see:

Catherine Penwarne Mitchell

  • RS32
  • Person
  • 1847-1878

Catherine Penwarne (Kate) eldest daughter of John & Catherine Augusta (Keast) Mitchell married the Reverend John Aubrey Ball of Bright, Victoria, at St. John's Church, Buckland, in 1877 but died the following year and is buried at Buckland, Tasmania.

Charles Arthur

  • Person
  • 1808-1884

Charles Arthur (1808-1844), nephew and ADC of Governor George Arthur, had become acquainted with John Clark before the latter went to Launceston as Store Keeper and the two carried on a fairly lively correspondence, both being in their early twenties. Charles Arthur afterwards settled at Longford and married Mary Allen daughter of Thomas Reibey of Entally.
For more information see ;

Charles Butler

  • Person
  • 1820-1909

Charles Butler (1820-1909) came to Tasmania in 1835 at the age of fifteen and completed his education in Tasmania at Longford Hall School under William Gore Elliston for one year and then under W.H. Wilmot (d.1842) for another year. In 1838 he was articled to the solicitor Robert Pitcairn in Hobart and was admitted a lawyer of the Tasmanian Supreme Court in 1843 and after his brother Edward's death in 1849 became a partner with his father in Butler, Nutt and Butler. He was president of the Southern Law Society from its foundation in1888 until 1907. In 1847 he married Georgina Wilmot (1819?-1880), daughter of his old schoolmaster W.H. Wilmot and his wife Eliza (Best), and they had ten children: Kate Geogiana (1849-1929), Edward Henry (1851-1928), Lucy Madeleine (1852- ), Charles William (1854-1937), Francis Leicester (called Leicester 1856-1385), Ida Mary ( 1358-I 949), Leila Chalmers (1859- ), May Maria (1861- ), Herbert Maxwell (1863- · ), Montague Howard (1868-1895).

Charles Ellis Davies

  • Person
  • 1847-1921

Sir John George Davies (1846-1913) and his brother Charles Ellis Davies (1847-1921), newspaper proprietors and politicians, were sons of John Davies, founder of the Hobart Mercury, and his wife Elizabeth, née Ellis. John George (George) was born on 17 February 1846 at Melbourne, and Charles Ellis on 13 May 1847 at Wellington, New South Wales. George was educated at the Melbourne Church of England Grammar School and The Hutchins and High schools, Hobart, before entering his father's newspaper business as office-boy. He was, however, trained as a journalist and advanced through the ranks to become general manager, though he later relinquished this position in favour of his brother. Charles was also educated at The Hutchins and High schools, graduating associate of Arts in 1865 under the Tasmanian Council of Education's tertiary scheme. He was employed by the Victorian Railways as an engineer in 1866-69 when he too joined the Mercury to be trained for management. For more information : and

Charles Gould

  • Person
  • 1834–1893

Charles Gould (1834-1893), geological surveyor, was born on 4 June 1834 in England, son of John and Elizabeth Gould. After graduating from the University of London (B.A., 1853), he won the Duke of Cornwall's exhibition at the Royal School of Mines in 1854 and a Board of Trade certificate with many first-class passes in 1856. He then travelled with his father in eastern North America early in 1857, worked with the Geological Survey of Great Britain and left for Hobart Town on 12 April 1859. His initial contract at £600 a year with travelling expenses was to make a geological survey and prepare a book on the geology of Tasmania. For more information see:

Charles Jeffreys

  • Person
  • 1782-1826

Charles Jeffreys (1782-1826), naval officer and author, was born on 16 October 1782 at Cowes, Isle of Wight, England, the son of Ninian and Mary Jeffreys. He joined the navy at 11 and served as midshipman in various ships before his passing certificate as lieutenant was issued by the Admiralty in August 1803. He was commissioned lieutenant in March 1805. In August 1810 at Lambeth, Surrey, he married Jane Gill of London. In January 1814 he arrived with her at Port Jackson in the brig Kangaroo.
Jeffreys's first commission was to transport convicts and other passengers in the Kangaroo from Port Jackson to the Derwent. After an unsuccessful attempt in May 1814 he finally sailed for the Derwent in August and arrived at Hobart Town in October.
For more information see :

Charles Meredith

  • Person
  • 1811–1880

Charles Meredith was born on 29 May 1811 in Pembrokeshire, son of George Meredith. Charles sailed with his father and other children for Van Diemen's Land and arrived in March 1821. Denied a land grant by Lieutenant-Governor Arthur, Charles moved to New South Wales in 1834 and bought sheep which he placed upon terms with pastoralists in the Murrumbidgee area. He also took up shares with W. A. Brodribb in a cattle run in the Maneroo district and in 1838 went to England. On 18 April 1839 he married Louisa Ann Twamley (1812-1895) at Old Edgbaston Church, Birmingham. They sailed for Sydney in the Letitia and arrived in September. While Charles inspected sheep stations on the Murrumbidgee Louisa stayed at Bathurst. After a few weeks in Sydney they moved to Homebush. In 1840 Charles, Louisa and a young son went to Oyster Bay, Tasmania, where his father owned Cambria. They bought an adjoining estate, Springvale, and in August 1842 moved to their newly-built house. He was elected to the House of Assembly in 1860. For more information see

Charles O'Hara Booth

  • Person
  • 1800-1851

Capt. Charles O'Hara Booth (1800 - 1851) of the 21st Fusiliers was commandant of the Convict Stations on Tasman's Peninsula from 1833 until 1844 (Civil Commander of Port Arthur and Point Puer only from 1844). It was under his command that the township of Port Arthur was laid out. As commandant of convicts he was both efficient and impartial. The Lieutenant Governors Col. Arthur and Sir John Franklin both expressed great satisfaction after visits of inspection; Arthur describing him as 'kind, humane, active and most determined'.
One of his main achievements was the establishment of a semaphore signalling system throughout the peninsula and also connected with Hobart. This provided a speedy means
of communication, especially useful for notifying constable's posts of escapes of prisoners. For this purpose he drew up a code of signals. In 1838 Booth was lost in the bush for 4 days which undermined his health. In 1844 he was appointed superintendent of the Queen's Orphan School, New Town. Booth was born in Basingstoke, England in 1800, In 1838 he
married Elizabeth Charlotte Eagle (referred to in his diary as Lizzie) step-daughter of Booth's regimental surgeon. They had two daughters, the elder, Amelia Patricia, born in 1839.
After Booth's death in 1851 his widow returned to England and petitioned for a pension.
For more information see:

Charles Page

  • Person
  • 1870-1949

Charles Service Page, second son of Alfred Page MLC, was articled to Hookey & Young of Hobart, admitted 30 October 1893 and entered into partnership with A.L Williams and opened a branch in Zeehan in 1897. He continued in the Zeehan office of Williams and Page after Williams sold his interests to Murdoch & Jones, who continued to act as Hobart agents, until he returned to Hobart about 1904 and set up practice in Collins Street. He later went into partnership with P.R. Seager. He was President of the Australian Natives Association (Hobart) 1907. He married Violet, daughter of William Burgess.

Charles Swanston

  • Person
  • 1789-1850

Charles Swanston (1789-1850), banker and merchant, was born at Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, England, the son of Robert Swanston and Rebecca, daughter of Johnston Lambert of Mordington and Margaret Handyside of Tweedmouth. At 16 he was commissioned a lieutenant in the Madras establishment of the East India Co.'s army. In November 1831 Swanston was appointed managing director of the Derwent Bank, which was established as a partnership by a group of Hobart citizens, including several officials, and first opened for business in January 1828. Although the bank at first had seven directors, a meeting of shareholders in March 1830 agreed to reduce the number to three, one of them to be a full-time salaried managing director. The first managing director of the bank was William Hamilton, who soon returned to London as the bank's representative. Charles Swanston was appointed to succeed him; on 26 November 1831 he signed a covenant with the other two directors, Hamilton and Stephen Adey, that each should hold forty of the bank's 200 shares, and should not acquire a greater number or sell shares without first offering them to the other two. When Adey went to England Swanston bought more shares, thereby gaining a majority of votes and undivided control. Under his management the Derwent Bank prospered, attracting large amounts of overseas capital for investment at high rates of interest. He was responsible for introducing the overdraft system into Australian banking in 1834, in which year he established the Derwent Savings Bank. His influence in the colony increased when he was nominated to the Legislative Council.
For more information see :

Charles Whitham

  • Person
  • 1873–1940

Journalist at heart and clerk perforce, was born in India, the son of a British Army Sergeant-Major, and came to Tasmania with his parents in 1886. Charles spent most of his working life in Queenstown, as a traffic clerk for the Mount Lyell Railway, and took an active part in cultural and community activities. for more information see:

Charlotte Lee Archer

  • Person
  • 1834-

Charlotte Lee Archer, born 1834, eldest daughter of John Lee Archer and Sophia Mattinson. She married Dr Andrew Mowbray in Melbourne on January 1854. He died on 22 November 1854. There were no children.
The widowed Charlotte married William George Gibson, (visiting magistrate, Emu Bay), a year later, on 7 December 1855. They had three children, born 1856, 1858 and 1861. Charlotte and William went to live in England. He died there in 1870, and Charlotte returned to Stanley that same year with two of their children.

Clara Sabina Meredith

  • Person
  • 1857-1924

Second daughter of John Meredith and Maria Hammond, granddaughter of George and Mary Ann Meredith. She died on 30 August 1924, at age ~67

Claudio Alcorso

  • Person
  • 1913–2000

Claudio Alcorso (1913–2000), industrialist and winemaker, was born in Rome. In 1938 he emigrated to Sydney and established Silk and Textile Fabrics. Despite enlisting in the RAAF, he was interned as an 'enemy alien' during the Second World War. He successfully transferred his factory to Derwent Park in 1947. Alcorso was a pioneer of the Tasmanian winemaking industry, planting 90 riesling vines at his property Moorilla in the 1950s. He championed the arts through his involvement with Australian Ballet, Australian Elizabethan Theatre Trust, Tasmanian Arts Advisory Council and as chairman of Opera Australia. He was also a crusader for the environment who took an active stance in 1982 in the Franklin River protest. The Claudio Alcorso Foundation has established an annual Australia–Italy exchange fellowship in his honour. From

Clement Byrne Christesen

  • Person
  • 1911-2003

Christesen was founding editor of Meanjin Papers which was first published in 1940, following his return from overseas travel. With an offer of full-time salary and commercial support for the publication, the magazine and its editor moved to the University of Melbourne in 1945. He retired as editor in 1974. For more information see

Clifford Craig

  • Person
  • 1896-1986

Clifford was a founding member (1960) of the Tasmanian branch of the National Trust, and chairman in 1963. He helped to raise community awareness of the beauty and value of the State’s colonial buildings, and to prevent the destruction of many. When the Hobart City Council proposed to allow demolition of early houses in Davey Street to permit construction of a petrol station, he remarked: `no one will ever visit Hobart to see a petrol station’. He edited the trust’s newsletter from 1965 to 1986, apart from a break in the early 1970s. With his wife he had accumulated a collection of colonial furniture that came to be considered one of the best of its kind in Australia. Having amassed an extensive assortment of early Tasmaniana, comprising documents, books, maps and prints, he sold 2350 items at a three-day auction at Launceston in 1975. In 1979 he donated over 450 books on the history of medicine to the Launceston hospital. For more information see:

Clive Sansom

  • Person
  • 1910-1981

Clive Sansom (1910-1981), poet and speech educator, was born at Finchley, North London, in 1910. He worked as a clerk and salesman in London and studied speech and drama under Marjorie Gullan at the Polytechnic, Regent Street, and the Speech Institute (1930-35) and phonetics under Professor Daniel Jones at University College, London (1935-6). He lectured in speech training at Borough Road Training College, Isleworth, and the Speech Fellowship (1937-9) and edited the Speech Fellowship Bulletin (1934-49). He was instructor in the Drama School of the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) and examiner in speech and spoken poetry. In 1937 he married a fellow student and speech teacher, Ruth Large from Tasmania. Although neither was at the time a Quaker, they were married in the Friends Meeting House at Winchmore Hill. They were both interested in the Society of Friends and had attended a few Meetings. Clive's teacher and friend, Marjorie Gullan, was a Quaker. Soon they both joined the Friends. Clive Sansom contributed poems and articles to Friends' journals and studied religious topics. During the war Clive, as a conscientious objector to war, did land work, partly based on "Spicelands" a Quaker Centre for special "war work". In 1949 Clive and Ruth Sansom travelled to Hobart to visit Ruth's family and decided to settle in Tasmania. Clive was appointed, with Ruth, Supervisor of Speech Education for the Tasmanian Education Department and was responsible for the Speech Centre 1950 - 1965 and was also examiner in speech and drama for the A.M.E.B. He and Ruth broadcast and wrote scripts for the ABC. programs for primary schools. Clive also wrote or edited a number of short plays for schools. Clive Sansom's main works included In the midst of death, (1940), The unfailing Spring (1942), Passion Play (a novel based on the Oberammergau passion play, 1950), The Witnesses (Festival of Britain prize winning poem 1951), The World turned upside down (a morality play, 1948), The Cathedral (1958), performed in Salisbury for that Cathedral's 700th anniversary 1961), Dorset Village (1962), Swithun of Winchester (produced in Winchester Cathedral for the 100th anniversary of the translation of St. Swithun 1971), Francis of Assisi (performed in Winchester Cathedral 1978, published 1981). He also wrote or edited a number of works for schools, including Adventures in words with Rodney Bennett (1936), Speech rhymes, Acting rhymes, Counting rhymes, Story rhymes, (1942-80) Speech and commucation in the primary school (1965) etc. and edited a number of anthologies, such as The poet speaks (with Marjorie Gullan 1940), The English Heart (1946). He published a number of poems and short stories in periodicals and newspapers from the 1930s onwards. Clive was also interested in conservation and was patron of the Wilderness Society. The papers consist of drafts and typescripts of his works (and some published copies) together with research notes, news cuttings, extracts from historical studies etc. on the background of his topics; correspondence with his literary agent, publishers and broadcasters, and cuttings of review notices.

Colin Arthur Roderick

  • Person
  • 1911-2000

Colin Roderick was a writer, editor, academic and educator. He is perhaps best remembered for promoting the study of Australian literature (at a time when it attracted little academic interest), and also for his biographical and critical studies of Henry Lawson.He was one of the original judges for the Miles Franklin Award. He remaied a judge from the first award in 1957 to 1991. Roderick played a significant role during his life in promoting Australian literature through much of the mid to late 20th century. He was an editor (and later director) of Australia’s then premier publisher of Australian literature, Angus & Robertson, for around 20 years. He had a role in the movement to establish a chair in Australian literature at Sydney University and the creation of the Foundation of Australian Literary Studies (and the associated annual Colin Roderick Award and Colin Roderick Lecture) in 1966. For mor information see

Colin Wendell Smith

  • Person
  • 1926-2015

Professor of anatomy at the University of Tasmania 1968

Dan Sprod

  • Person
  • 1924-

Dan Sprod was born in South Australia in 1924. He served in the Royal Australian Navy (1942-46), attended Adelaide University and graduated Bachelor of Arts (1948-50), before joining the National Library in 1951. He held a number of senior positions, including Liaison Officer, New York (1957-60), Chief Cataloguer (1964-65) and Principal Librarian, User Services (1966). Upon leaving the National Library, he was appointed University Librarian, Morris Miller Library, University of Tasmania in 1966 and held this position until his resignation on 31 July 1976. For more information see:

Daniel Ellis

  • Person
  • c1806-1890

Daniel Ellis, trade quarry man and carter, was convicted in 1829 and transported to Van Diemens Land. In 1834 he was sentenced to a further 7 years at Port Arthur.

David Blair

  • Person
  • 1820-1899

David Blair (1820-1899), journalist, was born on 4 June 1820 in County Monaghan, Ireland, son of Thomas Blair, soldier, and his wife Jane, née Burns, both of Scottish descent.
For more information see :

David Burn

  • Person
  • 1799–1875

David Burn (1799?-1875), settler and author, author of the first Australian drama to be performed on stage, The Bushrangers, was born in Scotland, the son of David Burn and his wife, Jacobina, née Hunter (1763-1851). After her husband's death, she sailed from Portsmouth in the Westmoreland and arrived in Hobart Town in May 1821. With help from Governor Lachlan Macquarie she became the first woman to be granted land in Van Diemen's Land, taking it near Hamilton and calling it Ellangowan. In February 1824 she was granted 500 adjoining acres (202 ha) and next year applied for more. By 1829 she had 2000 acres (809 ha) by grant, 1200 (486 ha) by purchase, 2000 sheep, 150 cattle and many other assets, but a further application was refused, because her existing grants had not been improved.
Burn died in prosperous circumstances at Auckland on 14 June 1875, he had two children and was married twice. He was a prodigious writer and many of his manuscripts are preserved at the Mitchell library, Sydney, including his reminiscences and diaries. He was also author of Van Diemen's Land, Moral, Physical and Political, and Strictures on the Navy.
For more information see:

David Marshall

  • Person
  • 1846- 1919

Born 27 January 1846 at Richmond Tasmania fifth child of George Marshall and Mary Palmer. Married Helen Pillans Jackson on 14th February 1884 at Ross. They had one child George Douglas Marshall. David Marshall died on the 16th September 1919 at Hobart and was buried in the Scots Uniting Church cemetery, Montague Street, Sorell

David Vincent Gunn

  • Person
  • unknown

Mayor of Launceston 1974-1975

DeWitt Clinton Ellinwood Jr.

  • Person
  • 1923-2012

Historian and teacher, born in Peoria, Illinois, USA. He was a historian of India and the British Empire who pursued interests in the history of India's military. He grew up in various small towns in Illinois where his father was a Methodist minister. He received his bachelor's degree from Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa in 1945. He subsequently earned a
master's degree at Cornell University in 1952 and completed his PhD degree at Washington University in St. Louis in 1962. His dissertation was "Lord Milner's 'kindergarten', the British Round Table Group, and the Movement for Imperial Reform, 1910-1918." DeWitt taught briefly at Ohio University, Washington University in St. Louis and National College in Kansas City, but in 1962 he joined thefaculty of the State University of New York at Albany, where he would spend the rest of his career until retirement in 1992. He taught courses on British and Indian history. His research interests centered on aspects of the life and roles of Indian soldiers under the British and related subjects. He was a frequent participant in academic conferences; I beieve I first me him at an AAS conference in the late 1960s, and enjoyed his conversations at many meetings later. He had an interest and participation in a number of organizations focused upon social concerns including the American Civil Liberties Union, Planned Parenthood, and the Peace and Justice Committee of the Capital Area Council of Churches. He was a life-long member of the Methodist Episcopal/United Methodist Church and took great joy in singing in the choir at the McKownville Methodist Church. For more informations see:
Published in Albany Times Union from Apr. 1 to Apr. 2, 2012

Dietrich Borchardt

  • Person
  • 1916-1997

Born in Hanover, Germany, to Jewish parents, Borchardt escaped Nazism via Italy and emigrated to New Zealand. There he studied at Victoria University, Wellington, and graduated with a BA in 1944 and an MA in 1947. He gained a library diploma from the New Zealand Library School.
He was Acquisitions Librarian at the University of Otago Library in 1949 to 1950. He was appointed as deputy librarian (1950–52) and then chief librarian (1953–1965) at the University of Tasmania. He also tutored in modern languages at that university.
For more information see :

Donald George Rockcliff

  • Person
  • d. 1981

Donald George Rockcliff of Sassafras (d. 1981). He matriculated from Devonport State High School in 1926 and gained his B.Sc. in 1932 and B.E. in 1933. He was a member of the T.U. Rifle Club, shooting the fourth highest score in the Inter-Varsity match in 1932, for which he was awarded a full blue. He was also a member of the Combined Universities Rifle Team against Victoria in March 1932 and was thus one of the first entitled to wear ‘A.U.S.A.’ on his blazer badge. In 1934 he broke a record in the I.V. match in Hobart which Tasmania University Rifle Club won. For photographs of the T.U.R.C. teams see UT 367/1-7

Results 1 to 100 of 545