Showing 873 results

Authority record

George Washington Walker

  • Person
  • 1800-1859

George Washington Walker (1800-1859), Quaker, shopkeeper and humanitarian, was born on 19 March 1800 in London, the twenty-first child of John Walker (1726-1821) by his second wife, Elizabeth, née Ridley. Because of the death of his mother and the absence of his aged father engaged in the saddle trade in Paris, he was brought up by his grandmother in Newcastle. He was educated by a Wesleyan schoolmaster near Barnard Castle, and apprenticed in 1814 to a linen draper. Impressed by the probity and wisdom of his Quaker employers and James Backhouse of York, a leading Quaker minister, he left the Unitarian persuasion of his family in 1827 and became a member of the Society of Friends. The next year he formed the first Temperance Society in Newcastle.
For more information see

George William Evans

  • Person
  • 1780–1852

George William Evans (1780-1852), surveyor and explorer, was born on 5 January 1780, the third child and eldest son of William Evans, secretary to the earl of Warwick, of the parish of St James, Westminster, England, and his wife Ann, née Southam. He served a short apprenticeship with an engineer and architect and gained some elementary training in surveying. In 1798 he married Jennett, daughter of Captain Thomas Melville, commander of the Britannia in the Third Fleet and later of the Speedy, and migrated to the Cape of Good Hope. He was employed in the Naval Store-keeper's Department at Table Bay and remained there until May 1802 when, in compliance with the treaty of Amiens, British forces were withdrawn. Evans was persuaded by Captain William Kent to go to New South Wales, and he arrived at Port Jackson in H.M.S Buffalo on 16 October.
For more information see :

Gillian Ward

Gillian Ward is both a qualified librarian and graphic designer who specialises in print and web design with a particular interest in book design. Her skills include photography and photo-editing, web optimisation and digital imaging, picture research and the curating and design of exhibitions.

Girls Industrial School Hobart

  • Corporate body
  • 1862-1945

The School was founded in June 1862, originally as the 'Hobart Town Female Refuge' to provide a home for neglected girls and train them in washing, sewing and domestic work. It was managed by a committee of ladies elected by subscribers, usually under the patronage of the Governor's wife, but five gentlemen were elected as governors and formed an advisory committee. The School occupied various temporary houses until 1873 when the committee leased buildings in the Barracks, which premises were extended in 1879 when the School took the protestant girls from the Queen's Orphan School, New Town, which was being closed. In 1892 it moved to 'Kensington House', Davey Street (now the Trades Hall) and finally in 1924 it moved to 'Maylands', Pirie Street, New Town. The School took 30 to 40 girls, usually between 6 and 14, but occasionally younger, and the committee liked to keep them beyond their committal period until they were 16 and trained for service, unless there were suitable relatives. They were usually referred by a magistrate and supported by the Government, by relatives or by donations and the little earned by laundry and sewing work. The children were looked after by a matron and sub-matron and ladies of the committee visited in turn. As well as instruction in domestic work the children were given some basic education, by a Schoolmistress appointed after the transfer of the Orphan School girls in 1879, and after 1925 attended state school, and also received religious instruction from local ministers or Sunday school teachers.
In February 1945 the School was transferred to the Salvation Army.
From the Cyclopedia of Tasmania 1900 :
Thirty two years ago, under the auspices and with the active assistance of kind-hearted Lady Gore Browne, wife of the Governor of the day, the ladies of Hobart founded the Hobart Industrial School for Girls, an institution that has had an uninterrupted career of usefulness and success ever since. Its objects at first were mainly to reclaim the fallen, but after some experience it was wisely decided to take the young and train them in those paths which only lead to pleasantness and peace. There was no written constitution at the outset, but the principles under which it continued to be managed were, in 1890, embodied in a document which set forth :—" 1. That the school shall be for the education, maintenance, and training of such classes of children as described in the Industrial Schools Act, 1867. 2. That there shall be five governors elected to remain in office until their successors are appointed. That all subscribers be empowered to vote in the election of such Governors. 3. That the management and control of the school be vested in a committee of not less than ten, nor more than twenty, ladies, to be elected by the donors and subscribers. 4. That the committee of management have power to remove officers and fix salaries, and that they shall submit an annual report in January of each year." The class of girls admitted into the school consists of poor and unprotected children, who are sent by the administrator of charitable grants (Mr. F. R. Seager.) They range from very young children upwards, and no girl is allowed to leave the institution till she is sixteen years of age. The Government contribute 5s. per week for each child for the specified time she is committed to the care of the institution, in some cases two years and some five years. They are then supported until they leave by the funds of the institution. When an inmate is sufficiently trained for private service, arrangements are made by the committee in connection with the matron, for her discharge, to such employment as may seem fit, subject in each case to the approval of the managers. Instruction is given in reading, writing, and arithmetic, needlework, laundry work, cooking, and general housework. The school is Protestant unsectarian. About forty children pass through it each year. Of late years the subscriptions have been falling off, but the school is still sound financially, though more funds are required for special cases. The building now occupied as a school (formerly Kensington House), has cost over £4000, which has been practically paid for. It is well situated in Davey Street, and in every way suitable for the purpose. Among the pioneer workers who rendered special service to the school for years was Mrs. Crowther, widow of the late Hon. Dr. Crowther, who is still alive in England. The venerable honorary secretary, Mrs. Harriet M. Salier, has filled that position since the inception of the school. For thirty-two years she has devoted herself to forwarding its best interests, not only as secretary, but in every direction possible, and it has been and is with her truly " a labour of love." Her son, Mr. Fred. J. Salier, has been honorary treasurer for twenty years, and has also rendered most valuable service to the institution. The present president, Mrs. Hardy, daughter of Sir Henry Edward Fox Young, one of our late governors, is most indefatigable in attending to the interests of the school. Officers for 1899-1900 :— Patroness, Lady Gormanston ; president, Mrs. Hardy ; governors, Messrs. G. Patten Adams, Justice Clark, C. J. Maxwell, Fred. J. Salier, Hon. W. Crosby ; hon. treasurer, Fred. J. Salier ; committee, Mesdames G. Adams, James, Barnard, Barrett, D. Barclay, E. Burgess, H. Chapman, W. Crosby, E. L. Crowther, Cook, Kite, Davies, Montgomery, J. G. Parker, Perkins, C. J. Maxwell, Hudspeth, Bernard Shaw, Miss Nutt; hon. secretary, Mrs. Harriet M. Salier; hon. auditor, Mr. R. M. Johnston ; trustees, Messrs. Chas. Butler, C. E. Walch, F. J. Salier.

G.P. Fitzgerald & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • 1892-2013

G.P. Fitzgerald and Company was an emporium retail business begun by George Parker Fitzgerald in 1892. It was bought out by Charles Davis Ltd in 1986 and continued business as 'Fitzgeralds' to 1995 when Harris Scarfe assumed control. G.P. Fitzgerald was a founding Director of the famous Cascades Brewery in Hobart and was one of three office bearers.

Grace Paterson Clark

  • Person

A.I. Clark married in 1878 Grace Paterson Ross, daughter of John Ross, a Hobart shipbuilder.
They had five sons: Alexander, a marine engineer; Andrew Inglis. another lawyer and judge:
Conway, an architect; Wendell, a medical practitioner, and Carrell, Clerk to the House of
Assembly. Another son, Melvin, died in infancy and there were two daughters, Ethel and Esma.

Graeme Raphael

  • P2017/20
  • Person
  • 1946-2013

Graeme Raphael was a councillor on both the Oatlands Council and the municipal body that replaced it, the Southern Midlands Council. He served on the board of the Oatlands/Bothwell Uniting Church Council and was a founding member of the Oatlands Historical Society. He worked for the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, as an apiary officer, and was also a member of the Tasmanian Beekeepers’ Association and committee member of the Parattah Railway Station, committee member of Neighbourhood Watch Tasmania Inc., Jubilee Hall and Progress Association and the Upper Coal River Landcare Group at Tunnack.


Greg Dickens

  • P2017/14
  • Person
  • 1945-

Greg Dickens is a retired cartographer, an amateur historian and photographer, who has been active in several national and state-based history organisations. He was born in 1945, at Brixham, Devon, and migrated to Australia with his family, aged five, settling in Tasmania. He was educated at Princes Street Primary School, Sandy Bay and New Town High School, before entering the Tasmanian Public Service in a 46-year career, working as a cartographer for both the Lands Department and Department of Mines, as well as engaging in field surveys and compiling reports on mining heritage for the Department of Mines (later Mineral Resources Tasmania). For one brief period he worked for the drafting and cartography division of Hobart printer and publisher Mercury-Walch. He composed many entries for The Companion to Tasmanian History on mining history subjects. Greg was formerly a member of the National Trust, the Tasmanian Transport Museum and the Tasmanian Historical Research Association. He remains active with the Australian Mining History Association and has written many articles for the association’s publications and annual conferences. During a lengthy sporting career, he played more than 400 games of football for Dunalley Football Club in the Tasman Football Association and a further 100 games for other competitions in southern Tasmania. Upon retirement from playing football, he has held roles with disciplinary tribunals, as a tribunal panel member and also as a coach and volunteer with the Southern Tasmania Junior Football League. He took many photographs of Tasmanian scenes with a 35mm Ricoh fixed lens film camera and a Pentax K1000 SLR camera.

Gustav Weindorfer

  • Person
  • 1874-1932

Austrian-born Weindorfer pioneer of conservation recognised Tasmania's potential for wilderness holidays and creating 'a national park for the people for all time', and became the catalyst for the formation of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.

Hal Wyatt

  • P2018/6
  • Person
  • 1923-2004

Hal Wyatt, born Hobart (1923-2004), a taxation officer, steam buff, restorer of historic machinery, sailor, and amateur photographer, took several thousand photographs in Tasmania over more than six decades. As a child, Hal Wyatt lived in several locations across Tasmania including Queenstown, Wynyard and Deloraine, following the postings of his father John Burgess Wyatt (1902-1975), who worked with the Postmaster General’s Department. Hal's mother was born into the Hale family, a line of watermen or boatmen, who worked on the Derwent River in the 19th and early 20th century. Hal’s paternal grandfather, Benjamin Wyatt, had been a photographer and publisher of scenic postcards in England, at Kingsbridge in the South Hams district of Devonshire. Hal Wyatt was educated at St Hilda’s School, Deloraine and Launceston State High School, where he completed his leaving examination and public service examination in 1941. He began work with the Australian Taxation Office in Hobart, then in the latter part of World War II enlisted with the Royal Australian Navy, joining the crew of the HMAS Junee, an Australian-built Bathurst class corvette, commissioned in 1944, completing missions off New Guinea. After the war, Hal returned to work for the ATO in Hobart, settling with his wife Joyce (nee Hope) at Howrah on the eastern shore of the Derwent River, where they raised three children, David, Marian and Kerin. In his spare time, he restored engines, ships and yachts and built a caravan for family holidays around Tasmania, many of which coincided with trips to look at steam trains and search for derelict engines and machinery. He was involved in the Ship Lovers’ Society of Tasmania, which was the precursor of the Maritime Museum of Tasmania, as well as the Tasmanian Transport Museum at Glenorchy.

Harold Alfred Southern

  • Person
  • 1889-1915

Worked in the Government Analyst’s Department in both Hobart and Perth. Southern was killed in action at Gallipoli 10 days after he landed – leading his men (as a Captain) at Pope’s Hill ( May 2nd 1915). He was a nephew of Benjamin Sheppard, who was the sculptor for the Boer War Memorial Soldier in Hobart Domain. Harold Southern, along with Mildred Lovett, Florence Rodway and Olive Pink were some of Benjamin Sheppard’s Art pupils.

Harold Charles Gatty

  • Person
  • 1903-1957

Harold Charles Gatty (5 Jan 1903 - 30 Aug 1957) was a Tasmanian aviator, adventurer and writer born in Campbell Town in 1903. He qualified as a marine navigator through the Royal Australian Naval College which lead to his interest in aerial navigation. He is noted for inventing an air sextant and an aero chronometer, but also his flying exploits , most notably, with Wiley Post, circumnavigating the earth in a record 8 days 15 hours 52 minutes, in 1931. For more information see :

Harry O'May

  • Person
  • 1872-1962

Henry (Harry) O'May (1872-1962), ferrymaster, was born on 27 February 1872 at Kangaroo Point (Bellerive), Tasmania, son of Robert O'May (d.1900), a boatman from Scotland, and his wife Ann, nee Roberts. Robert and his brothers Thomas and James establised (c.1865) O'May Bros ferry service which plied between Hobart Town and Kangaroo Bay.

Harry attended Bellerive State School and Scotch College, Hobart, but left at the age of 11 to work as a wharf-boy. He gained his river-master's and engineer's certificates, and in 1889 became skipper of the Silver Crown, the firm's fifth vessel. Following the deaths of Thomas and Robert O'May, James took over the management of the company; he was joined in partnership by Harry and George who inherited their father's share of the business. At Bellerive on 17 March 1902 Harry married with Presbyterian forms Frances Isobel Cottrell (d.1921), a 25 year old dressmaker; they were to have three children.

For more information see

Harvey Stanley Hyde Blackburn

  • Person
  • 1876-1967

Harvey Stanley Hyde Blackburn (1876–1967) was an infamous member of the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) who during World War I managed to fool medical staff at the time of his voluntary enlistment so that they did not observe his artificial left foot, which he had lost only a short time earlier.

HELLP and Lithuanian Studies Society of the Tasmania University Union

  • 1975-1990

HELLP or Help the Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian Peoples Association was formed in Hobart in September 1974 to make people aware of the Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian nations continuing struggle for survival and self determination and to press for a reversal of the Australian Govenment's recognition of Russian sovereignty over them. Annual ecumenical services and vigils were held. and social functions etc to raise money. Baltic News was published quarterly from March 1975 with news of the persecution, prisoners of conscience etc. It was edited by Algimantas Taskunas, of the University's administrative staff, and ceased publication in December 1990 after the easing of Soviet control of the Baltic States.
The Lithuanian Studies Society of the Tasmania University Union was fOITI1ed in 1987 by a small group of students to make Australians more aware of Lithuania and
its heritage. Films and lectures on Lithuanian topics are presented regularly during term and workshops to demonstrate traditional Lithuanian crafts. Academic papers from these activities are published annually in the Society'S journal, Lithuanian Papers. The foundation President of the Society was Liz Watchorn, followed by Simon Taskunas. The Society's logo is the black iron wolf of Vilnius.

Henrietta Pierce

  • Person

Henrietta Pierce was secretary of the Missionary Helpers Union, Hobart. Taught at Friends School for eleven years from 1897

Henry Brune Atkinson

  • Person
  • 1874-1960

Archdeacon Henry Brune Atkinson (1874-1960), clergyman and orchidologist, was the son of Rev. Henry D. Atkinson of Stanley and Sarah Ann (Ward). He was educated at Stanley State School, Launceston Church Grammar School and the University of Tasmania (BA 1899). He was ordained an Anglican priest in 1902 and served as Rector of Holy Trinity Church, Hobart and Archdeacon of Launceston and Darwin. From 1919 to 1925 he was Vice-Warden of the University Senate. He collected many specimens of orchid from Tasmania and some from NSW, Victoria and New Zealand. These were given to the Queen Victoria Museum, Launceston by his daughter. Rev. Atkinson married Helen Bertha Knight of Christ Church, New Zealand, in 1905 and they had one daughter, Sheila. For more information see

Henry Charles Kingsmill

  • Person
  • 1843-1909)

Henry Charles Kingsmill (1843-1909) MA Cambridge was University lecturer in surveying and Government Meteorologist. He was born in Donegal, Ireland, the son of Rev. Henry Kingsmill of Trinity College Dublin. He graduated MA at Cambridge University and came to Australia for his health in 1873. He assisted with the N.S.W. Government land surveys on gold fields at Hill End Tambarooma, near Bathurst, and then taught in schools in Queensland. He came to Tasmania in 1882 to an appointment at Christ's College and later at the Hobart Technical School.
He was connected with the University from its foundation and gave advice on proposed courses in surveying and astronomy, acted as examiner and served on the University Council from 1893 (1893-5,1901-1909). He was instructor in mathmatics from 1896 and lecturer in surveying from 1904. In 1892 he took charge of the Government Observatory in Barrack Square where he was assisted by his sisters. He married Helen Mary Cruickshank, daughter of James Henry Robert Cruickshank (1841-1916) who was Acting Registrar of the University in 1892 and Registrar from 1894 until 1916.

Henry Grant Lloyd

  • Person
  • 1830-1904

Henry Grant Lloyd (1830-1904), artist, was born on 6 January 1830 at Chester, England, son of Lieutenant Henry Lloyd, Bengal Native Infantry, and his wife Charlotte, née Williams. His father retired to Van Diemen's Land in 1840 and bought land at New Norfolk, which he named Bryn Estyn after the family home in Wales. Henry Grant became a divinity student at Christ's College, Bishopsbourne, Tasmania, but in 1851 Bishop Nixon decided that he was not a suitable ordinand. In 1846-57 Lloyd sketched in Tasmania and by 1858 was painting in New South Wales. He was influenced by Conrad Martens and was probably one of his pupils. Lloyd painted sporadically in Martens's style until the 1870s but could not subdue his own spontaneous vision. In artistic style and temperament he was perhaps closer to Samuel Elyard than to the accomplished Martens. Lloyd may also have been influenced by J. S. Prout. For more information see :

Henry Hall Baily

  • Person
  • 1865-1880

Henry Hall Baily was born in Tasmania but was trained at the London School of Photography in the early 1860s. A professional photographer, he exhibited in both Melbourne and Sydney while continuing to have a practice in Hobart, a practice his son, also called Henry, eventually took over. for more information see

Henry Hellyer

  • Person
  • 1790 -1832

Henry Hellyer (1790 - 1832), surveyor for the Van Diemen's Land Company. Son of John Hellyer and Betsy (Maine) of Portchester, Hampshire, England. Hellyer arrived in Tasmania in 1826 and explored the north-west for the V.D.L.Co., especially the district between Port Sorell, Valentine's Peak and Black Buff. He named the country north and south of Valentine's Peak the Hampshire Hills and Surrey Hills and recommended it to the V.D.L.Co. In 1827 he was sent to layout a road from Emu Bay to the Hampshire Hills. He later surveyed most of the district from Black Buff to Mount Bischoff, the Cripps Range, Cradle Mountain and the Murchison River. In 1832, the mapping and surveying needed by the V.D.L.Co. being completed, he was appointed to the Government Survey Department, but committed suicide at Circular Head on 9 September 1832, believing that slanderous reports had been circulated. For more information

Henry Hunter

  • Person
  • 1832-1892

Henry Hunter (1832-1892), architect, was born on 10 October 1832 at Nottingham, England, younger son of Walter Hunter, architect, and his wife Tomasina, née Dick. Educated at Sedgely Parish School, Wolverhampton, he studied architecture under his father and then at the Nottingham School of Design under T. S. Hammersley. Henry and his three sisters migrated to South Australia in 1848 with Walter and Tomasina and, after their parents died, to Hobart Town where they joined the eldest brother, George, who died on 31 October 1868. For more information see :

Henry Jacob Hookey

  • Person
  • 1804-1878

Henry Jacob Hookey, formerly of Gray's Inn, in the County of Middlesex, but now of Launceston in Van Diemen's Land, Gentleman, Attorney of Her Majesty's Courts of Queen's Bench and Common Pleas at Westminster, and a Solicitor of the High Court of Chancery, apply to be admitted as Barrister, Attorney, Solicitor, and Proctor of the Supreme Court of Van Diemen's Land on the 28th day of January, 1839. Hookey was married to Elizabeth Jones (1814-1887) and lived at 'Thornleigh' Longford

Henry Lewis Garrett

  • Person
  • 1847-1893

Henry Lewis (Harry) Garrett was born in 1847, the youngest of ten children of Alfred and Catherine Garrett. Educated at the Hutchins School, in 1863 he gained an Associate of Arts certificate. He became an accountant and later (1882) actuary of the Hobart Savings Bank, and in 1871 married Martha Fisher (b. 1843). They had five children between 1873 and 1886. The Garrett’s lived at Cottage Green, Battery Point, for the first few years of marriage, then moved to Casa Nova on the corner of Grosvenor and Princes Street in Sandy Bay. For more information see:
Wilson, Elisabeth. 'Do the Next Thing': Henry Lewis Garrett and the Evolution of the Hobart Brethren Assembly [online]. Tasmanian Historical Studies, Vol. 10, 2005: 96-112.;dn=143623924072226;res=IELHSS

Henry Meredith

  • 1821-1836

Son of George Meredith and Mary Evans. Educated at Robert Giblin's New Town Academy for boys. Thrown from a horse and died.

Henry Montague Meredith

  • Person
  • 1854-1902

Eldest son of John Meredith and Maria Hammond, grandson of George and Mary Ann Meredith. Married Minna Holmes (1852-1917) daughter of Joseph Broadbent Holmes and Harriet Pawsey Philips, in 1883 in Greta, NSW. Henry Montague Meredith died in 1902, at age ~48. They had three children Hammond Meredith (1886-1945), Owen Maxwell Meredith (1888-1971), and Noelle Holmes Meredith (1891-1969)

Henry Propsting

  • 1810-1901

Henry Propsting (1810-1901) Transported to Van Diemen's Land in 1831 for the theft of two tame geese, Henry became a successful Tasmanian merchant and grazier, an alderman of the City of Hobart and father of twenty-six children. A regular attender of the Congregational Church changed his religious views to the Society of Friends, through the preaching of James Backhouse and George Washington Walker, who travelled through Tasmania during the thirties at the same time he became a "total abstainer,"
He was one of the original subscribers to the old High School, now the University building

Herbert Caleb Tapping

  • Person
  • 1873-1958

Accountant, Commissioner of Tax, Tasmania and Deputy Federal Commissioner of Taxation, 1933-1943. Husband of Mary Jane (Walker) Tapping (1869-1959) father of Pryor Caleb (1904-1988) and Zilva Mary (1907-1997).

Herbert Hedley Scott

  • Person
  • 1866–1938

Herbert Hedley Scott (1866-1938), museum curator, was born on 15 August 1866 in London, second son of Peter Dewar Scott, accountant, and his wife Mary Susan, née Gale. In October 1887 Scott migrated to New Zealand for his health and after two years in business there settled at Launceston, Tasmania. He was a steward at the Launceston Club from March 1890 until he succeeded Alexander Morton as curator of the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery in May 1897 and managed the Museum for forty years. He is the longest serving Director. Scott completed a surprising amount of research. In 1905-07 he published a series of palaeontological brochures including important work on the skeleton of Nototherium tasmanicum (Tasmanian Geological Survey Record, no.4, 1915). From 1919 he published in the Royal Society of Tasmania's Papers and Proceedings, often in collaboration with Clive Lord: mostly palaeontological, some studies dealt with seals and whales of the Tasmanian coasts and a few with fossil botany. Under Scott additions to the Museum included the Zoological Gallery (1910), the Historical Wing (1927) and the Fall-Hartnoll Memorial Wing (1937). In 1927 he was instrumental in securing the important Beattie Collection of convict history from Hobart. Herbert Scott died at Launceston on 1 March 1938. For more information see:

High School of Hobart Town

  • Corporate body
  • 1848-1885

The High School of Hobart Town was founded in 1848 by a group of gentleman connected with the Presbyterian and free churches including Rev. Dr. John Lillie, Minister of St. Andrews Church, Chairman of the Council, T.D. Chapman, who succeeded Lillie as Chairman of the Council of Shareholders, R.W. Nutt, Henry Hopkins, G.W. Walker, R. Officer and W. Robertson, who acted as treasurer. The shareholders were granted five acres on the Government Domain and A. Dawson drew up a plan for the building in 1848. Messrs. Cleghorn and Anderson tendered to build it for £3600 by November lJ349 and this was accepted. Money was raised by the original shares of £25 each, further shares and subscriptions raised in Tasmania and London, encouraged by the distribution of a prospectus and lithographic copies of Dawson's drawing of the proposed building (see Pro Hbt/112). Any shareholder subscribing £100 was entitled to educate one boy free of the annual tuition fee of £12 (for an example of a share certificate see R. 7/2). The object of the institution, as originally described, was 'the instruction of youth in the higher brances of learning, as taught in superior classical and mathematical schools in England', the ultimate object being 'to confer on Australian youth the inestimable advantages of an European University'. The school opened in 1850 and 56 boys were enrolled in the first quarter. The number had increased to 81 at the beginning of 1851. By 1859 boarders were being taken and a junior department had been started. The High School Council had in 1849 requested the Council of University College, London, to recommend a Head classical Master as Rector, at 400 a year, and a Mathematics master. A Mr. Eccleston was appointed but he died suddenly and Rev. Dr. John Lillie was appointed hon. Rector. George Brien M.A. was then appointed Classical Master and - Dobson as Mathematical Master, both receiving £400 a year, and Rev. Lillie remained Rector. In 1857 Rev. R.D. Paulett Harris was appointed Rector and remained until 1885, leasing the school from the shareholders from 1862. In 1885 the rights to the school were handed over to the Christ College Trust and the school became Christ College, surprisingly as J.P. Gell the first Warden of Christ's College originally opposed the foundation of the High School. The Christ College School in fact merged with the Hutchins School and in 1892 the High School building was sold to the new University of Tasmania. (See reports 1849, 1851, 1859 (H.8) and Wood's Almanack 1849 p. 108.

Hilda Bridges

  • Person
  • 19 October 1881 – 11 September 1971

Hilda Maggie Bridges was born in Sorell, Tasmania on 19 October 1881 to basketmaker Samuel and Laura Jane Bridges (née Wood). Her younger brother, Royal Tasman Bridges, (1885–1952) known as Roy, was a journalist and novelist, for whom she acted as housekeeper, secretary and companion. Bridges was educated at Scotch College, Hobart. She produce thirteen novels, three children's tales and hundreds of short stories and sketches. Her first novel, 'Our Neighbours' was published in London in 1922.

Hilda Maggie Bridges

  • Person
  • 1881-1971

Hilda Maggie Bridges (1881-1971), writer, was born in Hobart on 19 October 1881 and educated at Scotch College there. Roy's lifelong companion, housekeeper and amanuensis, she still found time to produce thirteen novels, three children's tales and hundreds of short stories and sketches. Her first novel, Our Neighbours (London, 1922), was a tale of Melbourne suburban families, while her ensuing works were light narratives of mystery and romance set in Victoria or the east coast of Tasmania, the plots frequently depending upon smuggling, hidden treasure, secret caves and unknown identities. The characters are stereotyped, but her prose smooth, with effective, intimate descriptions of interior ornamentation, fashions and small natural scenes. Her main concern is entertainment but in Men Must Live (London, 1938) she touches upon the denudation of land by firewood carters, a matter of considerable personal concern. She died in Hobart on 11 September 1971 and was buried at Sorell. From

Hobart Chamber of Commerce

  • Corporate body
  • 1851-1984

The Hobart Chamber of Commerce was established in 1851, following a meeting of merchants and other business men held on 3 February 1851. Henry Hopkins, a well known Hobart merchant, presided over the meeting, which proposed that merchants, shipowners, ship masters, traders and manufacturers of Hobart Town should form themselves into an association to be styled the Hobart Town Chamber of Commerce to protect and promote their common commercial interests. There were to be 12 directors with a chairman, deputy chairman and secretary who were to meet every month and two general meetings were to be held every year. In 1856 the Chamber was granted the privilege of nominating three of the Wardens of the Marine Board.

Hobart Town Maternal & Dorcas Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1835-1949

The Hobart Maternal & Dorcas Society was formed in 1835 by a number of charitable ladies, firstly "to assist married women during the time of their confinement" and secondly "to extend relief to the poor, as funds admit, especially to children who may be in want of suitable clothing to attend the enfant, Sabbath or other schools". Boxes or bags were prepared containing clothing and blankets for the baby and mother, and soap and a bible. The bags were lent for a month, but food and other comforts were distributed as funds allowed. After the maternity Bonus Act of 1912 the Society more or less went into abeyance, except for special cases, and in 1949 it was finally wound up.
A brief history of the Society by W H Hudspeth was published in 1942 and is with the records. For more information see the digitised version at

Hobart Town Turkish Bath Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1866-1892

The establishment of a Turkish Bath Company for Hobart Town was promoted at a public meeting held on 25 October 1866. 200 shares of £5 each were sold. The chairman of the Directors was Alfred Kennerley, later succeeded by Henry Llewellyn Roberts. The first secretary was W.G. Elliston. Land at the corner of Harrington and Collins Street (south side) was purchased from Mr Adcock for £400 pounds in 1867 and adjacent land with two houses purchased from Moses Cohen in 1874. The building was designed by Henry Hunter and with fittings etc., cost about £1500 pounds. The baths were opened to the public in September 1868 (two days a week for ladies and 4 days for men). The company was wound up in 1892 and the premises sold. The buildings were finally pulled down in 1933

Horace Newton Barber

  • 1914-1971

Horace Newton Barber (1914-1971), botanist and geneticist, was born on 26 May 1914 at Warburton, Cheshire, England, son of Horace Maximilian Barber, printer's traveller, and his wife Mary, née Newton. Educated at the County High School for Boys, Altrincham, and Manchester Grammar School, Newton read the natural science tripos at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (B.A., 1936; M.A., 1944; Sc.D., 1963). Supervised by C. D. Darlington, in 1936-40 Barber carried out research on plant and animal cytology at the John Innes Horticultural Institution, Merton, Surrey, for which he was awarded a Ph.D. by the University of London in 1942. In February 1941 he had joined the irregular army of applied scientists at the Ministry of Aircraft Production's telecommunications research establishment. He later served as a flight lieutenant with the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve in the Mediterranean and South East Asia, and wrote an irreverent account of his wartime adventures in air force jargon for his family.
A lecturer in botany at the University of Sydney from March 1946, Barber married a fellow lecturer Nancy Patricia O'Grady at St Mary's Catholic Cathedral on 20 April that year. In 1947 he was appointed foundation professor of botany at the University of Tasmania and extracted from a surprised administration the basic requirements of 'glasshouses, an experimental garden and a gardener'. Enthusiastic and dedicated, he believed that the 'business of a professor is to teach his students' and did much to encourage high standards of biological instruction. His interest in undergraduates extended to a strong record of overseeing postgraduates, a number of whom went on to contribute as academics and research scientists to genetics and plant breeding.
Barber quickly applied his pre-war interests in cytology and genetics to Australian plants and animals. His curiosity in natural history and his more formal disciplinary interests led to a spread of publication in experimental cytology, taxonomy, physiological and selection genetics (particularly in Eucalyptus), in ecology and forestry, and in biogeography, palaeobotany and mycology. He travelled widely in the bush and, with the eye and ear of the trained observer, took every opportunity (both as raconteur and writer) to recreate the atmosphere, mood and even redolence of those journeys.
Dean of science (1951-55), Barber returned to Hobart after a year as a Rockefeller fellow (1953-54) at the California Institute of Technology, United States of America, to be plunged into the controversy over the dismissal of Professor Sydney Orr. In an anomalous position as chairman of the staff association (from 1955) and of the professorial board (1956-59), he served on Miss Kemp's and the vice-chancellor's committees of inquiry. A regular spokesman for the university council, he was elected to the Tasmanian Club.
His formal contributions to biological science had been acknowledged by his election as a fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (1958) and of the Royal Society, London (1963), and by his appointment as a trustee of the Australian Museum (1964). Barber's peregrinating and frequently informal contributions to academic discourse and scholarship were widely appreciated by colleagues, among whom he had the reputation of originating more ideas than any other botanist in Australia.

Hubert Allan Nichols

  • Person
  • 1864-1940

Hubert Allan Nichols (1864-1940) was M.L.C. for Mersey and Meander, JP., Warden of Scone. He had worked as a timber feller until hurt in an accident in 1889 when he started work for the North West Post, Devonport. He was well known in sporting activities, especially axemen, and was secretary of many sporting clubs. He was also a seed potato grower and agent for farm supplies and sales and was a member of the Council of Agriculture and President of the Tasmanian Farmers and Stock Owners Association. Competitive woodchopping engrossed him. For many years Tasmanian handicapper, 'Chopper' Nichols wrote rules for the United Axemen's Association, which were accepted throughout Australia and New Zealand, and fostered the Ulverstone Carnival, one of Australia's premier meetings and long the venue for several world titles. In 1901 he established the Axemen's Journal.
For more information see:

Hugh McDonald Anderson

  • Person
  • 1927–2017

Historian, poet and journalist. He established an enviable reputation as an authority on convict broadsides and colonial ballads, on Victorian gold rush history, and on Australian literature. Hugh deserves to be considered a pioneering Australian social and cultural historian, alongside his better recognised achievements as a major folklorist. For mor information see and

Hugh Munro Hull

  • Person
  • 1818-1882

Hugh Munro Hull (1818-1882), father of Hugh Synnot Hull (1851-1913) was a civil servant born in London, the eldest son of George Hull and his wife Anna, daughter of Captain Hugh Munro of the Coldstream Guards. He sailed for Sydney with his parents and sister in the convict transport Tyne, and in September 1819 arrived at the Derwent where his father became assistant commissary general. The family home was soon established on a 2560-acre (1036 ha) land grant at Tolosa, Glenorchy. For more information see :

Hugh Synnot Hull

  • Person
  • 1851-1913

Hugh Synnot Hull (1851-1913) was the second son of Hugh Munro Hull (1818-1882) and his first wife Antoinette Martha (Aitkin), who died in 1852. His grandfather George Hull of Tolosa, Glenorchy, had settled in Tasmania in 1819 with his wife Anna (Munro), and the first two of their thirteen children.
Hugh Synnot Hull entered the civil service at the age of 15 in 1867 as a clerk in the Parliamentary Library, and in 1874 he was transferred to the Office of Stores. By 1879 he was earning 150 pound per annum and in 1893 he succeeded C H Huxtable as Government Storekeeper. Some of the Huxtables were also family friends. Hugh corresponded with his childhood friend Hugh Ralston Huxtable, who had gone to Edinburgh, UK and was for a short time engaged to Emily Agnes Huxtable. In 1878 Hugh became engaged to Laura Ann Allison, daughter of Frank Allison of Sandy Bay and was married to her on 10 January 1880 by Rev J Scott of St John's Presbyterian Church Hobart, at the Allison home in Sandy Bay. Hugh and Laura were both fond of music and were often invited to sing or play accompaniments to entertain friends or for charitable concerts. Hugh was a member of the Orpheus Choir, St Andrew's Church Choir and St Andrew's Choral Society. His cousin, Anna Hull of Glenorchy also wrote about a visit from Amy Sherwin, the Tasmanian singer, 'she sings splendidly', in 1878 (H11/61). Life was not easy for the couple as Hugh's salary was not high and although, as resident clerk to the Stores, he had a rent-free Government cottage in Castray Esplanade, this was rather small for a family. Indeed in 1893 he requested better accommodation as three rooms were insufficient for a family of 7, for as he pointed out, three children with croup had to occupy the same bedroom as their parents. They had four sons - Hugh, Frank, Herman and Max. Hugh obviously had difficulty in paying bills; there were many requests for payment and papers relating to debts. Hugh and his elder brother had inherited some small pieces of property at Glenorchy from their mother and grandfather. These were leased and had part planted as an orchard, but seemed to be more trouble than profit. Delays in finally settling and selling the property almost led to dispute between Hugh and Herbert, who by then was also in need of money. Herbert had settled in New Zealand, first in a job managing Clifden Station and later as sheep, cattle and rabbit inspector and registrar of brands at Balclutha, Otago. He married late in life, in 1892, to a girl he called 'Harty'. later married Charles Bellette Their first child was lost at birth but a boy was born later. As well as his eldest brother Herbert, Hugh had half brothers by his father's second marriage to Margaret Bassett Tremlett and also many cousins as his grandfather George, has 13 children : Georgina Rose (married P Emmett); Hugh Munro (married [1] A M Aitkin [2] M B Tremlett); Frederick George (married Sophia Turrell); Robert Edward (died 1841); Jane Harriet (married F A Downing; George Thomas William (married Miss Roberts); Temple Pearson Barnes; Henry Joscelyn (died 1893, married Mary Jane Wilkinson); Anna Munro (married T H Power); James Douglas (married Eliza Clothier); John Franklin Octavius (died 1874, married Mary Ann Lester); Alfred Arthur (married? Barnes); Mary Emily (married W M Davidson).

Hull Family

  • Family

Family members include Hugh Munro Hull, George Hull, Mrs G Emmett (nee Hull) and Florence Hull later Kenny. Florence Kenny was a leading Tasmanian Composer and at the height of her musical career, many of her songs were sung on concert platforms in Tasmania and on the mainland.
A A Hull was the son of George Hull. He moved to Queeensland and became a surveyor.
Hugh Munro Hull (1818-1882) was Clerk of the House of Assembly and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Tasmania. His publications included The Royal Kalendar and Guide to Tasmania (1858-1860), The Experience of Forty Years in Tasmania (1859), and Practical Hints to Emigrants (1871).
His son Hugh Synnot Hull (1852-1913) also worked a public servant. He had five sons, Hugh Munro Hull (1887-1913), Francis Allison Hull (1890-1910), Herman Arthur Munro Hull (1892-1929), Marcus Aitkin Hull (1895-1918), and William Denison Hull (1898-1976).
Amateur film-maker Herman Robert Hull (b.1926) was a son of Herman Arthur Munro Hull.
From TAHO record

Hytten Hall

  • Corporate body
  • 1959–1980

Hytten Hall was a non-denominational residential college for 120 students located on the Sandy Bay Campus of the University of Tasmania. It closed in 1980. Named after Torleiv Hytten (1890-1980), professor of economics and first, full-time vice-chancellor of the University of Tasmania 1949-1957. The first warden of the college was George Wilson (1961-1974)

Illustrated London News

  • Corporate body
  • 1842-2003

The Illustrated London News appeared first on Saturday 14 May 1842, as the world's first illustrated weekly news magazine. Founded by Herbert Ingram, it appeared weekly until 1971, then less frequently thereafter, and ceased publication in 2003. For more information see :

Isaac Sharp

  • Person
  • 1806–1897

Sharp, Isaac (1806–1897), missionary, elder son of Isaac Sharp of Brighton, Sussex, and his first wife, Mary Likeman, was born in Brighton on 4 July 1806. His father had joined the Society of Friends upon his marriage, and at eleven the son was sent to a Quaker school at Earl's Colne, Essex. At twenty-four he went to Darlington as private secretary to Joseph Pease, succeeding afterwards to the management of the Pease estate near Middlesbrough. In February 1839, he married Hannah Procter; they had two daughters before her death, four years after the marriage.
For more information see :

J. Francis Mather

  • Person
  • 1844-1925

Joseph Francis Mather was the son of Joseph Benson Mather and step grandson of Esther Mather. He was clerk to Friends School Committee

J. Paterson & Sons

  • Corporate body
  • 1904-1905

J. Paterson & Sons were blacksmiths, engineers, boilermakers and machinists of Orient Iron Works, Collins Street, Hobart.

Jacob Mountgarrett

  • Person
  • c1773-1828

Jacob Mountgarrett (1773?-1828), colonial surgeon, was probably the son of Rev. John Mountgarrett, curate of Drumbanagher, near Killeavy, County Armagh, Ireland. He was admitted as a member of the Company of Surgeons, London, on 17 May 1798, and thus qualified as a naval surgeon third rate, for he had been in the navy since 1790, and had seen service in the Mediterranean and at Cape St Vincent. After being paid off in 1802, he joined H.M.S. Glatton carrying convicts to New South Wales, as surgeon. He arrived in March 1803 and was immediately appointed surgeon to the new settlement proposed at the Derwent. He sailed with Lieutenant John Bowen but when Lieutenant-Governor David Collins arrived next February he told Mountgarrett that his medical staff was complete and gave him the opportunity to return to Sydney. Mountgarrett refused and asked that he should be considered a settler. He was the first to harvest wheat in the colony. He was notorious as a bad debtor and was suspected of cattle stealing and misappropriating the stores and medicines for which he was responsible.
For more information see:

James Hamlyn Willis

  • Person
  • 1910 - 1995

Born in Oakleigh, Victoria, on 28 January 1910, died in Melbourne, Victoria, on 10 November 1995.
Served as a forestry officer in many locations throughout Victoria, 1931-1937. In October 1937 Willis joined the National Herbarium of Victoria as a taxonomic botanist, and spent the remainder of his working life there, until 28 January 1972. He rose to become Assistant Government Botanist, and Acting Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens and Herbarium. Throughout his life he collected avidly, both vascular and non-vascular plants, and fungi. For many years he was the focus of taxonomic work in Victoria, and wrote the 2-volume A Handbook to Plants in Victoria (1962, 1972) which for over 30 years was the standard reference not only for that State but for adjacent areas as well. He described 64 plant species alone or jointly and published about 883 books, papers and reviews. His herbarium is housed in MEL, but duplicates are widely distributed within Australia and overseas.

James (Philosopher) Smith

  • Person
  • 1827-1897

James Smith (1827-1897) was born in George Town, son of John and Mary Ann (Grant) Smith. His father was shot when he was aged 5 and he was taken under the guardianship of John Guillan, a Launceston merchant and mill owner. After working in the mill, and then exploring the country west of the Tamar and prospecting for gold in Victoria, James Smith settled on land at the River Forth, and planted orchards. He discovered silver ore on Mt. Claud near Sheffield and, in December 1871, tin at Mount Bischoff and began mining in 1872 and in 1873 the Mt. Bischoff Tin Mining Company was formed. He then then returned to farming at "Westwood", Forth, and extended his property but continued to take an interest in mining and prospecting, having a laboratory built at his his home. He also took part in public affairs. He married Mary Jane (Pleas) in 1874 and had 6 chidren. He was widely known by the nickname "Philosopher" but the origin is not known. He read a lot and was a strict Christian and member of the Congregational Church, resigning from the Town Hall Committee over a proposal that a museum should be open on Sundays. For more information see

James Agnew

  • Person
  • 1815–1901

Agnew was an early member of the Tasmanian Society (later Royal Society), and in 1841 his first paper, 'Notes on the teeth and poison apparatus of the snakes of Tasman's peninsula', was published in the second volume of the Tasmanian Journal of Natural Science. In 1851 he was elected to the council of the Royal Society, and was its honorary secretary in 1861-81 and 1884-94. He became the first chairman of the board of management of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, and an early chairman of the trustees of the Hobart Public Library; he retained both offices until 1901. His ethnological pamphlet, Last of the Tasmanians, was published in Sydney in 1888.

James Alexander Bacon

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2013/1
  • Person
  • 15 May 1950 – 20 June 2004

James Alexander (Jim) Bacon (1950-2004), union official and politician, was born in Melbourne and educated at Scotch College. He worked as a union official for the Builders' Labourers Federation in Victoria and the Pilbara, before moving to Tasmania as state secretary of the Tasmanian branch, 1980-89. From 1989 to 1995, Bacon was secretary of the Tasmanian Trades and Labor Council. Gaining a massive vote, in 1996 Bacon was elected to the House of Assembly. He took over from Michael Field as Labor leader in 1997, and led the Party to successive electoral victories in 1998 and 2002. In 2004 he was Premier and Minister for Tourism, Parks and Heritage as well as Minister for the Arts. Under Bacon, Tasmania experienced stable government and economic prosperity. He resigned in 2004 due to ill-health. For more information see :

James Backhouse

  • Person
  • 1794-1869

James Backhouse was a naturalist and Quaker missionary of Darlington, and later, York, England. In 1831 he sailed for Australia, accompanied by George Washington Walker (1800-1859), with the financial support of the London Yearly Meeting. They arrived in Hobart in February 1832 and from then until their departure from Australia in 1838 they visited most of the scattered settlements throughout Australia. They spent three years in Van Diemens Land where they visited the penal settlements, reported to Lieut.-Governor Arthur on conditions and made suggestions for improvement of the prisons, chain gangs, assigned servants etc. They also encouraged the formation of benevolent services, such as the Ladies Committees for visiting prisoners on Elizabeth Fry's model, inspected hospitals and recommended humane treatment for the insane, as well as distributing religious tracts and school books. In 1833 they established a Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends in Hobart and in 1834 the Hobart Yearly Meeting. In 1837 they bought property for a Meeting House in Hobart. James
Backhouse also collected many botanical specimens and continued to correspond with the Tasmanian Society and the Royal Society. After his return to England, Backhouse published an account of his journeys as "A Narrative of a Visit to the Australian Colonies" (London, 1843). For more information see :

James Backhouse Cotton

  • Person
  • 1834-1906

Son of Frances and Anna Maria Cotton of Kelvedon. Born 18 July 1834 at Great Swan Point, Tasmania. Died 1 January 1906 in Ohio, USA

James Backhouse Walker

  • Person
  • 1841-1899

James Backhouse Walker (1841-1899), solicitor and historian, was born on 14 October 1841 in Hobart Town, son of George Washington Walker, shopkeeper, and his wife Sarah Benson, daughter of Robert Mather. Educated at the High School, Government Domain, Hobart, and at the Friends School, York, England, he was first employed as junior clerk in the office of T. D. Chapman and later in his father's Hobart Savings Bank. But in 1872 he took articles and on 7 July 1876 was admitted as barrister, solicitor and proctor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania. Senior partner in the firm J. B. Walker and Wolfhagen he was also an active councillor of the Southern Law Society. From 1877 he was a member of the Tasmanian Club. in 1890 he was appointed member of the first council of the new university, and in 1898 became its second vice-chancellor. Fro more information see :

James Barnard

  • Person
  • 1809-1897

James Barnard (1809 - 1897) was the son of John George Barnard of Blackfriars, London, a printer and, a freeman of the City of London Company of Stationers. James was apprenticed to his father to learn the printing trade in 1825. In 1838 he was appointed Government Printer , VDL. and arrived in Hobart with his wife and sister on the Pyramus in March 1839. He lived and worked in Macquarie Street (Surrey House). As well as a daughter, Emily, he had three sons, James, Henry Sultzer and Charles E. born in Tasmania. He was a member of the Royal Society of Tasmania for 56 years and seldom missed a meeting. He assisted in the establishment of the Tasmanian Museum and Public Library, and was the first chairman of the Queen's Domain Committee, and for many years a member of the Church of England Synod

James Bayly Watchorn

  • Person
  • 1921-1943

James Bayly Watchorn (3 March 1921 - 4 October 1943) was the second and youngest son of Erskine Clarence Watchorn and Mary Wylly Bayly. He was educated at the Hutchins School, and began his law course at the Tasmanian University. He enlisted in the RAAF in December 1940 and trained in Southern Rhodesia. He completed his training in England, and
was stationed in West Africa for 12 months, before being posted back to England. He was killed whilst testing Typhoon fighters in England in 1943.

James Belbin

  • Person
  • 1771-1848

James Belbin was transported to N.S.W. in 1791, after conviction at the Old Bailey, London, in 1789. Later he settled on Norfolk Island and received a grant of land. In 1808 Belbin and his children, with the other Norfolk Islanders, were resettled in Tasmania, receiving supplies from the Government Stores. He was twice arrested for remaining loyal to Governor William Bligh, deposed by officers of the New South Wales Corps; and for attempting to send an address to him in spite of Lt.Gov. Col. Patterson's proclamation prohibiting communication with
Bligh in 1809. In 1811 Belbin went to London to petition for restoration of his rights as a Norfolk Island settler and was granted a free passage back in 1813, land at Cambridge and Government victuals for eighteen months for himself, son James and his new second wife

James Boyd

  • Person

James Boyd was Port Arthur’s longest serving commandant (1853-1871) and also a member of the Royal Society.

James Ebenezer Bicheno

  • Person
  • 1785-1851

James Ebenezer Bicheno (1785-1851), author and colonial secretary, was born on 25 January 1785 at Newbury, Berkshire, England, the son of Rev. James Bicheno and Ann, his wife. His father (d.1831) was a Baptist minister, schoolmaster and author of numerous books and pamphlets on biblical prophecy, Nonconformity, papal tyranny and restoration of the Jews. For more information see :

James Ernest Meredith

  • Person
  • 1859-1910

Third son of John Meredith and Maria Hammond, grandchild of George and Mary Ann Meredith.

James Erskine Calder

  • Person
  • 1808-1882

James Erskine Calder (1808-1882), surveyor, was born on 8 June 1808 at Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England, ninth of eleven children of Alexander Calder, quartermaster at the Royal Military College. He was educated at village schools and in 1822-26 at the college after it had moved to Sandhurst. He then joined the Ordnance Survey in England, and his interest in this work led his father to seek from the Colonial Office an appointment for him at the Swan River settlement or in some other colony. Calder was offered and accepted appointment as assistant surveyor in Van Diemen's Land on 5 June 1829. A month later he sailed in the Thames for Hobart Town, at half pay on the voyage. On 21 November he took up his position at full pay under the surveyor-general, Edward Dumaresq. Calder became one of the colony's most distinguished early surveyors.
He also maintained a great interest in the Tasmanian Aboriginals and pleaded for the use of their place names; his Some Account of the Wars, Extirpation, Habits, &c., of the Native Tribes of Tasmania (Hobart, 1875) was a collection of material that had appeared in the Mercury, Australasian, and Tasmanian Tribune in 1872-75. His Language and Dialects Spoken by the Aborigines of Tasmania was published as a parliamentary paper in 1901.
For more information see :

James Gibson McGregor

  • Person
  • 1830-1902

John Gibson McGregor (1830-1902) arrived in Tasmania from Scotland with his brother Alexander and their parents, James and Janet McGregor. The brothers served apprenticeships under a shipwright, John Watson, and then started building boats. Alexander acquired the Domain Shipyard in 1855 with John as foreman, but sold out to John in 1869. John continued to run the shipyard until he retired in 1890 and built many ships well known in inter-colonial trade, including "Petrel", "Helen", "Hally Bayley", "Loongana", Derwent Hunter and the "Harriet McGregor". John married Christina Stewart (1841-1903) and they had six children including Albert J., who worked as book keeper for his uncle Alexander for a time, Alexander (1870-1946), two girls (Amy Florence Isabel (1867-1944) and Ethel May) and two children who died in infancy (James and Neva Evelkine).
He was also a director of the Tasmanian Fire and Life Insurance Co. for many years and a justice of the peace from 1886. He died on 5 October 1902 at his home in Cross Street, Battery Point, where he had lived for half a century. He was survived by his wife Christina, née Stewart, who died on 21 November 1903, and by two sons and two daughters.
For more information see

James Gordon

  • Person
  • 1779-1842

James Gordon (1779-1842), magistrate, was born at Forcett, Yorkshire, England, the son of John Gordon, steward of the Stanwick estates of the Duke of Northumberland, a noted exporter of stud Teeswater sheep to New South Wales. In 1806 he emigrated to Sydney and soon entered mercantile life there, trading with China, New Zealand and Macquarie Island. In the rebellion against William Bligh he remained loyal and signed an address of sympathy to the deposed governor. In January 1814 he married Elizabeth Emily, daughter of Dr Thomas Arndell. For more information see:

James Grant

  • Person
  • 1786-1870

James Grant was the son of James and Margaret Grant of Nairn, Scotland. James Grant (1786-1870) and his wife Caroline ( -1868), daughter of John Neve of Tenterden, Kent, U.K.) arrived in Tasmania by the "Heroine" in April 1824, following his brother John who had arrived in January 1823, as a merchant, partner in Grant and Bethune. John Grant obtained adjoining land grants for himself and his brother and James arranged to send merino sheep, seed, harness, etc. for him and also arranged for farm labouring families to emigrate as servants. However John moved to Sydney for his health and died there in 1825 leaving his property to James. James named his property Tullochgorum. For some years he lived mainly in Hobart acting as Lloyds' agent, of his Hobart homes being "Cottage Green", but he visited his property regularly and established a home and sheep run there.
James and Caroline Grant had two children, James (1823-1890) and Rose (1831-1905)
and several other babies who died.
A friend, James Meers Hammond (1797-1830), son of William Hammond, ironrnonger of London, and Eliza (Mitchell), accompanied the Grants to Tasmania. He
also received a grant of land in the Fingal Valley but lost it through absence when he returned to England in 1826-8 and again 1828-9. He died in 1830 and his wife, Eliza (King) and an infant daughter died in 1831 (the 2 eldest children, Tom and Rachel, having died earlier) leaving a four year old orphaned daughter Maria, who was adopted as their foster daughter by James and Caroline Grant. James Grant appealed to Governor Arthur on behalf of little Maria and she was granted 1000 acres in the Avoca district named Melrose, which she held until she died in 1912. James Hammond's brother, Thomas Mitchell Hammond (1795-1854), a surgeon of Brixton U.K., married Caroline Grant's sister, Maria Neve (1794-1826) in April 1824. They had a son, Thomas Montague, in 1826 before Maria died. Thomas later married Ellen Demain and had 6 other children (Horatio, Ellen, Percy, Sydney, Matilda, Emily). Thomas Montague (called Montague) Hammond (1826-1860) was consumptive and travelled to Tasmania for his health with his cousin James Grant, who had been in England to attend a London College. The Grants' son, James (1823-1890) married Charlotte Mary Thomas (? 1823-1875), daughter of Jocelyn and Charlotte (Partridge) Thomas of Northdown in 1851 and settled first at Garth, part of Grant's property, and Melrose until their house was burnt down and then at Tullochgorum, and they had children: James Henry (Harry), Edward (Ted), Katherine Mary (Kate), Wallace Partridge, Edith Caroline, Franklin Stanhope and Herbert. Charlotte died in 1875 and James later married Miss Cobham. Rose Grant (1831-1905) married her cousin (Thomas) Montague Hammond (1826-1860) in 1853 and had 4 children: Caroline Mary (Lina), Rose Katherine, Jessie Harriet and a boy who died in infancy. They lived at Emley Park, Balian, Victoria until Montague's death in 1860, when Rose and her children returned to Tullochgorum. She later moved to Launceston and finally settled in Victoria.

Maria Hammond (1827-1912) married John Meredith (see above) and her daughter, Jessie Rosina (1863-1944), married her cousin Franklin Grant (1860-1926), son of James and Charlotte, who had settled in Queensland. A sister of James Grant sen., Alice C. married a Mr Wallace, and settled at Elderslie near Geelong. A nephew of James Hammond, Edward Pilgrim, a medical practitioner, son of Elizabeth Hammond and Edward William Pilgrim, came to Australia in 1853 and after practising in Victoria near his cousin he moved to Fingal, Tasmania, and later Swansea.

James Harold Patterson

  • Person
  • 1873-1914

Dr James Harold Patterson (1873-1914), son of W. and Sarah Patterson of Mayfield, Launceston, qualified as a surgeon in Edinburgh U.K. He served as Surgeon Lieutenant (later Captain) with the 5th Victorian Rifles in the Boer War in South Africa in 1901-1902 and was awarded the Queen's medal for bravery. He later settled as a general medical practitioner at Tallangatta, Victoria, and also acted as Surgeon to the Light Horse. He married Emily Grace Haines and had three children but died in 1914, aged 49.

James Kelly

  • Person
  • 1791–1859

James Kelly (1791-1859), sealer, pilot and harbourmaster was born on 24 December 1791 at Parramatta, N.S.W. He went to sea in 1807 and made several sealing voyages to the Bass Straits and New Zealand. In 1814 he was appointed master of the schooner "Henrietta" owned by T.W. Birch (1774-1821), a whaler and merchant of Hobart, and later commanded Birch's brig "Sophia". In 1818 he was engaged in searching the East Coast for escaped convicts and in 1821 in transporting convicts to Macquarie Harbour in the "Sophia". He was Harbour Master of Hobart from 1819-1829. He also engaged in whaling and sealing, had a small farm on Bruny Island and property in Battery Point, Hobart. He married Elizabeth Griffiths in 1812 and had ten children.
For more information see:

James M Bladon

  • Person
  • 1861 -1938

Captain James Milnes Bladon died at his residence, "The Lorly," Bangor, on November 4 at the age of 76 years. Captain Bladon was born at Burton-on- Trent, Staffordshire, England, on November 14, 1861. After service in India, he came to Tasmania on the Tenby-Castle in 1887, settling at Piper's River. He was married to Miss Mary McCrory on June 4, 1888. After living at Back Creek for a time, he joined the Education Department in 1890, and was stationed at Lefroy. He was transferred to Bangor on July 24, 1891, Pipers River 1901, Bangor again in 1909. In January, 1911, he was sent as school master to Cape Barren Island, where he and Mrs. Bladon did wonder for work for 17 years. As school master he was also in charge of other governmental duties for the police, public health, and the lands and works department. In his later years he was an honorary magistrate and coroner for Tasmania, a licensed lay reader of the Church of England. For more information see Obituary Launceston Examiner 10 November 1938 -

James Mercer

  • Person
  • -1896

Janet Thompson of Morningside, Campbell Town Tasmania was the second wife of James Mercer. He inherited the the property Morningside after the death of his wifes parents. They had three daughters Kathleen Mercer, lost when the Holyman air liner, Miss Hobart, disappeared over Bass Strait in 1934 and Georgina- Mrs. Henry Brock (‘Lawrenny estate at Ouse’) and Alice - Mrs. Emerson Bayles

James Norman

  • Person
  • d.1868

The. Rev. James Norman was for some years attached to a Mission in Sierra Leone. He arrived in Tasmania in 1827, and after temporary employment in Launceston and at New Town, he was appointed in 1832 to the Chaplaincy of Sorell, which at that time included Richmond and Tasman’s Peninsula, and extended to Swansea, on the East Coast. His removal to Hobart upon his retirement from Sorell in 1867 was soon followed by his death in 1868. On the day of his funeral all public offices in Hobart were closed by order of the Governor, as a testimony of respect for his long and valuable services to the colony.

James Porter

  • Person
  • c1800-

James Porter was born in London in about 1800. He was sent to sea at an early age and spent some time in Chile. In 1821 he was convicted of stealing and sentenced to transportation for life. He arrived in Hobart the following year on the Asia. After several attempts to escape he was sent to the penal settlement at Macquarie Harbour. In 1834, with nine other convicts, he seized the brig Frederick and sailed her to Chile. They landed at Valdivia where they assumed new identities as shipwrecked sailors. In 1836 Porter was arrested, returned to England, and transported again to Tasmania, arriving in 1837 on the Sarah. He was sentenced to death for piracy, but the sentence was commuted and he was transported to Norfolk Island. After four years of good behaviour he was transferred to the mainland. In May 1847 he absconded from Newcastle, supposedly on the brig Sir John Byng. He was never heard of again.
For more information see:

Results 301 to 400 of 873