Showing 1 results

Authority record

James Gibson McGregor

  • Person
  • 1830-1902

John Gibson McGregor (1830-1902) arrived in Tasmania from Scotland with his brother Alexander and their parents, James and Janet McGregor. The brothers served apprenticeships under a shipwright, John Watson, and then started building boats. Alexander acquired the Domain Shipyard in 1855 with John as foreman, but sold out to John in 1869. John continued to run the shipyard until he retired in 1890 and built many ships well known in inter-colonial trade, including "Petrel", "Helen", "Hally Bayley", "Loongana", Derwent Hunter and the "Harriet McGregor". John married Christina Stewart (1841-1903) and they had six children including Albert J., who worked as book keeper for his uncle Alexander for a time, Alexander (1870-1946), two girls (Amy Florence Isabel (1867-1944) and Ethel May) and two children who died in infancy (James and Neva Evelkine).
He was also a director of the Tasmanian Fire and Life Insurance Co. for many years and a justice of the peace from 1886. He died on 5 October 1902 at his home in Cross Street, Battery Point, where he had lived for half a century. He was survived by his wife Christina, née Stewart, who died on 21 November 1903, and by two sons and two daughters.
For more information see