Showing 8 results

Authority record

Amos Family

  • Family
  • 1774 - 1864

The Amos family arrived in Tasmania in March 1821 aboard the Emerald, and were advised to look for land on the unsettled east coast. Adam's capital entitled him to a grant of 1000 acres (405 ha) which he located on the Swan River at Cranbrook, and called Gala. By 1824 his mill was supplying the district with flour, and five years later he had many other substantial improvements. For more information :

Cotton Family

  • Family

Francis Cotton (1801-1883) arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1828 with his wife Anna Maria (1800-1882 nee Tilney), five children and his friend Dr. George Fordyce Story (1800-1885). After working as a builder for six months he settled at Great Swanport on the East Coast, naming his property Kelvedon after Anna Maria's birthplace in Essex, U.K.
Francis Cotton was born in Shoreditch, London, in 1801, son of Thomas and Mary Cotton. He was brought up as a Quaker (member of the Society of Friends) and educated at Ackworth Friends School. He was then apprenticed to a builder as a carpenter and, as his master, John Farrar, was a citizen of London and member of a City of London Livery Company, the Drapers Company, he was entitled, after completing his apprenticeship, to join the Drapers Company and be admitted a citizen, or "freeman" of the City of London and his certificate of admission is dated 10 February 1825.
In 1820 Francis Cotton married Anna Maria Tilney, daughter of John Shelton Tilney of Chelmsford, shopkeeper, and his wife Susannah. Francis and Anna Maria were both Quakers but were both disowned by their Meetings for marrying without the approval of the Meetings and they were only reinstated some years later, after the Quaker missionaries James Backhouse and George Washington Walker visited Tasmania. They both, however, lived according to Quaker principles and Francis later made several visits "of concern" to Quakers in New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria.
The family's first home on the East Coast was a sod hut at Waterloo Point (Swansea), but this burnt down with all the stores and equipment they had brought from England. A temporary cottage was then built on the property and was extended over the years as the family increased. The land was comparatively poor and required hard work to develop and was several times raided by aborigines. However, Francis prospered, developing fine fleeces for export to England, supplying meat and wheat to Government convict and military stations and later trading wattle bark and apples. Further land was acquired for the sons, including the Grange and Earlham properties. One of the younger sons, Edward Octavius, helped to work Kelvedon and eventually inherited it.
Nine more children were born at Swanport, fourteen altogether including two daughters who died soon after birth. Most of the sons remained in Tasmania, married and settled on property of their own. Son Tilney (1836-1914), however, went to South Australia, where the climate suited his chest better, settled at Streaky Bay and married Ann Allen in 1860. Son James Backhouse (1834-1906) did not marry but remained at Kelvedon until he accompanied Hannah Hall on missionary journeys and in 1882 returned with her to Canada and the USA. Two sons, George and Thomas, slightly shocked their mother by marrying Catholic servants of the family. George, who for a time served as a police officer, and his wife Margaret (Connell) later settled in the north-east. Thomas who married Bridget Burke in 1857 remained on the East coast at Grongar Hill and his mother came to accept that "there is much that is good about Bridget" who died in 1868 leaving five young children. Francis Cotton jr. of the Grange committed suicide in May 1872 One of the daughters, Mary, married William May of South Australia and lived near Adelaide until they came to settle in Tasmania.
The eldest daughter, Anna Maria (1823-1856, called Maria) married in 1842 Joseph Benson Mather, Clerk of the Hobart Meeting of Friends and a draper. Letters from the Cotton family to J.B. Mather were given to Frances Cotton by his grandchildren (Misses E.J . AND M.F. Robey) and these have also been deposited (ref.DX20). Anna Maria's letters from 1837 gave J.B. Mather many requests for shopping for supplies of food, clothing household goods and furniture etc. for her large family. Cloth for the children's clothes needed to be hard wearing and also dark coloured, to spare washing - in 1839 she was putting "all the girls and boys from George down to little Teddy into tartan with the intention of sparing washing the coming winter". Her letters give a lively picture of the life of a pioneer settler family. Francis' letters, from 1862, also include requests for household supplies and also business commissions relating to the sale of farm produce and include information on the farm work, business and trade, and local affairs and also Quaker matters. (See Frances Cotton, Kettle on the Hob: a family in Van Diemen's Land 1825 - 1885 (1986).
Dr George Fordyce Story (1800-1885), Francis Cotton's friend, settled with them and lived with the family at Kelvedon, acting as medical practitioner to the district and to the family. He was a keen botanist, member of the Royal Society of Tasmania and for a short time its secretary and supervisor of the Gardens. He collected specimens for and exchanged correspondence with Ferdinand van Mueller of the Melbourne Botanic gardens. Dr Story also made some mission journeys for the Society of Friends in Tasmania and the mainland. His papers have also been deposited (ref: C7) .

Frederick Maitland Innes

  • Family
  • 1816-1882

Frederick Maitland Innes (1816-1882), journalist, lay preacher, farmer and politician, was born on 11 August 1816 at Edinburgh, son of Francis Innes and his wife Prudence, née Edgerley. Educated at Heriot's, Edinburgh, and Kelso Grammar School, he worked for his uncle, manager of estates for his relation, the Duke of Roxburgh. In 1836 Innes sailed in the Derwent and arrived in Hobart Town in 1837. He joined the Hobart Town Courier and was prominent in reviving the Mechanics' Institute. In 1838 he married Sarah Elizabeth, youngest child of Humphrey Grey, a prosperous free settler who had migrated from Ireland in 1829. He is known as: an anti-transportationist; a free trade politician; a journalist; a Member of Lower House (Tasmania); a Member of Upper House (Tasmania); a newspaper editor; a premier (Tasmania); a Presbyterian lay leader.
For more information see

Hull Family

  • Family

Family members include Hugh Munro Hull, George Hull, Mrs G Emmett (nee Hull) and Florence Hull later Kenny. Florence Kenny was a leading Tasmanian Composer and at the height of her musical career, many of her songs were sung on concert platforms in Tasmania and on the mainland.
A A Hull was the son of George Hull. He moved to Queeensland and became a surveyor.
Hugh Munro Hull (1818-1882) was Clerk of the House of Assembly and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Tasmania. His publications included The Royal Kalendar and Guide to Tasmania (1858-1860), The Experience of Forty Years in Tasmania (1859), and Practical Hints to Emigrants (1871).
His son Hugh Synnot Hull (1852-1913) also worked a public servant. He had five sons, Hugh Munro Hull (1887-1913), Francis Allison Hull (1890-1910), Herman Arthur Munro Hull (1892-1929), Marcus Aitkin Hull (1895-1918), and William Denison Hull (1898-1976).
Amateur film-maker Herman Robert Hull (b.1926) was a son of Herman Arthur Munro Hull.
From TAHO record

Lyne Family

  • Family

The Lyne family, William, Sarah and five children, arrived in Hobart in 1826, and received a 1500-acre land grant on the east coast, named Apsley (later Apslawn). Gradually their stock of sheep and cattle increased, despite problems with lack of water and fear of Aborigines. Their son John continued at Apslawn, and his eldest son Sir William Lyne became Premier of New South Wales and a member of the first federal cabinet. Apslawn passed out of the family, with some family members acquiring farming land along the east coast, and another of John's sons, Carmichael, acquired the property Riccarton at Campbell Town. His son Crosby turned Riccarton into a top wheat-producing property, was warden of Campbell Town, and a keen horse enthusiast. Descendants still own Riccarton.

Over almost two centuries, the Lyne family have not only been prominent pastoralists, but have provided federal, state and local politicians, and leaders in agricultural activities ranging from the Tasmanian Farmers, Stockowners and Orchardists Association to Landcare.

William Holyman

  • Family
  • 1833-1919

William Holyman (1833-1919) arrived in Tasmania as a seaman in 1854. In 1861 he purchased his first ship, the schooner "Cousins", and traded along the north coast of Tasmania, with his son Thomas. The business expanded into a fleet of trading ketcches, originally flying a house flag of a white H on a red flag, but this was later changed to a white star on a red flag and the name "White Star Line" was used. In the 1890s steam ships were introduced and mainland trade and passenger services began. In 1899 Wiliam Holymanjr (1858-1921) became manager, assisted by his brother James (1862-1944). Air passenger services began in 1932, under James Holyman with his nephews (sons of William holyman jr.), Victor who had served in the Royal Naval Air Service in the war, and Ivan (1896-1957). Holyman Airways (later A.N.A) was formed in 1934 and continued unti11957..