Showing 457 results

Archival description
George Musgrave Parker : Correspondence and research records
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

105 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

A : Correspondence and Papers

Letters from descendants of settlers on the East Coast in answer to requests from Dr. Parker for historical information. Some include personal reminiscences or reference to documents or sketches (sometimes offering the loan of them) but others are vague or have no information. Also letters mainly about historical queries and East Coast families, correspondence with Angus Robertson and Miscellaneous invitations. Also included are a copy of the bylaws of the Swansea Rifle Club.

Apslawn House

Photograph of front view of Apslawn House. A sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on 640 acres of land granted to John Lyne, MHA for Glamorgan ,1843-1865. Located on the Tasman Highway, Apslawn, 13km south-west of Bicheno.

George Musgrave Parker

Apslawn House

Photograph of side view of Apslawn House. A sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on 640 acres of land granted to John Lyne, MHA for Glamorgan ,1843-1865. Located on the Tasman Highway, Apslawn, 13km south-west of Bicheno.

George Musgrave Parker

Apsley house

Photograph of Apsley House. Originally a single storey sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on land granted to John Lyne who was MHA for Glamorgan in the period 1843-1865. Small kodak prints. ?G.M.P photographer thought to be taken c1920's - (See also book ch.3, P1/35 (262)

George Musgrave Parker

Apsley Log Cabin

Photograph of Apsley original log cabin dating from 1826 on the property granted to William Lyne by Governor Arthur on order from Lord Apsley, eldest son of Lord Bathurst. Copy made by J.W. Beattie of an original of J. Lyne

George Musgrave Parker

B : Historical research notes and drafts

Some records of Great Swanport and the Municipality of Glamorgan 1820-1920 by G. Musgrave Parker' c.1950 . Typed draft, corrected ms., with ms notes and illustrations (snapshots or newspaper cuttings) in 16 chapters and 3 appendices. The draft is in an unfinished state; many gaps have been left for dates or other information to be added, and numerous ms. notes, clippings, etc. have been inserted or left loose in the folders.
Chapter 1 -Early history 1642-1821
Chapter 2 The pioneers 1821-1826
Chapter 3 Under military control 1826-1840
Chapter 4 The native problem in Great Swanport.
Chapter 5 Bushrangers in the district.
Chapter 6 Whaling sealing and some early exports.
Chapter 7 Civilian administration 1841-1859
Chapter 8 The Rural Municipal Council 1860-1920 (police, medical men, coroners, Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages).
Chapter 9 Sheep and wool, wattle bark and agriculture
Chapter 10 Coal, tin, gold and lime.
Chapter 11 Roads, bridges, jetties.
Chapter 12 Shipping on the coast.
Chapter 13 The story of the churches
Chapter 14 Parliament and the local representatives
Chapter 15 Education, postal history, societies & clubs.
Chapter 16 Growth of district and township, notable visitors, wars, other notable events and weather.
Appendix A Grants and location orders [Land].
Appendix B Local persons of note (brief biographical notes in alphabetical order)
Appendix C Diary of Adam Amos 1822-1825.
Illustrations included:
Ch. 1. J.A. Graham, first Warden 1860
Ch 2. Pompey's Pillar, Alexandria, Creek Hut (G. Meredith's first residence), Cambria, Cranbrook House, Glen Gala
Ch 3. Red Banks ~ 1890 and later, Apsley, Apslawn, Milton (J. Allen's residence), Swanwick, 'The White Hut' Little Swanport, Kebreden, Kelvedon Rocky Hills Station (including stereoscopic photos of the ruins of the tread mill and lime kiln.
Ch 4. Aborigines, Muirlands Little Swanport (residence of John Radford) , Waubadebar’s grave Bicheno.
Ch 6. Wineglass Bay, Trumpeter Bay, Schouten Island, Meredith's Fishery, a trypot.
Ch 7. Waterloo Point 1852 (watercolour sketch on grey card copied from original at Cambria by Mary Ann Walker 1928
Ch 8. Wardens (J.A. Graham, F. Shaw, Carmichael Lyne, F.C. Shaw, W.F.G. Calvert (news clippings), Council Chambers, Alfred W. Smith, Robert Gould, F. Lyne, G.F. Storey (Beattie's Studio), Dr. E.W. Pilgrim, Dr. E.C. McCarthy, Dr. G.S. Rundle (c. 1860-70)
Ch 9. Sheep, wool press, Picnic Place from Apsley, Mayfield Mill and outhouses (late 19th cent.), Oyster Bay pine.
Ch 10. Bicheno
Ch 11. Rocky Hills culvert, Spiky Bridge Swansea, Swansea jetty.
Ch 12. Cutter 'Thames', ketches 'Good Intent' - 'Foam'.
Ch 13. All Saints Church, Swansea, Bernard Shaw, Shaw memorial window, Bishops Nixon, Bromby, Sandford, Montgomery, Mercer (news clippings), Frank Morris Gill, Tomb of Rev. Thomas Dove Swansea, Swansea (including Catholic Church), Gala Kirk, Fr. Thomas Kelsh (news clipping).
Ch 14. E.T. Miles, John Lyne, F. Lyne, W.H. Bennett, James White, H. Lamb, W.W. Perkins, J. Murdoch, James Lord, J. Mitchell, J. Meredith, C. Meredith, W.J. McWilliams, A. Hearn.
Ch 16. Swansea views Appendix B Graveyard at Llandaff.

Bluff Cottage, formerly known as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage

Photograph of Bluff Cottage, formerly known as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage. This single storey, sandstone rubble building with a corrugated iron hipped roof was listed by the National Trust in 1976 as it demonstrated the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building . Located at 45 Shaw Street, Swansea, Tasmania

George Musgrave Parker

C : Press cuttings and pamphlets

Cuttings of historical interest from newspapers, chiefly Mercury, Australasian & Argus and The Critic, stuck in albums made from old catalogues (e.g. Army & Navy Stores) or old medical diaries. There are rough indexes to each volume except the first two. The volumes were originally numbered 16 - 42; no volumes 1 - 15 were received, possibly the numbers were left for the cuttings still loose in envelopes (see P.l/20) or they may refer to other notebooks and files. -1 - Indexes to newspaper cutting volumes 18 - 42
16 -1883 - 1907 Australasian, Argus & Mercury, including obituaries of Louisa Meredith (1895), Sir William Clarke (1897), James Bonwick, photos of Port Arthur by Dr. Fox, 1895; peal of bells from Port Arthur transferred to New Norfolk, 1897; visit of Duke and Duchess of Cornwall , 1901, including photographs of welcoming arches.)
17 - 1921 - 1924 'Notes by the Way' & 'historic land grants' by 'Historicus' in The Critic.
18 - c 1914 - 1924 'Notes by the Way' especially on aborigines and bushrangers. (partly indexed - see above)
19 – c. 1914 - 1924. As above, including extracts from Knopwood's journal. (Rough index)
20 - c 1914 - 1924 As above
21 - 1903 - 4, 1907, 1923 Miscellaneous cuttings (rough index) (Including centenary celebrations)
22 - 1924 - 1928 (includes Lyne family centenary 1926)
23 - 1928 Also includes some early cuttings including a description of Hobart, 1846
24 - 1929 - 1930
25 - 1930 - 1933
26 - 1933 to 1935
27 - 1935 to 1938
28 1942 to 1945
29 - 1945 to 1947
30 - 1948 to 1950
31 - 1950 to 1952 (including Buckland window mystery)
32 - 1952 to 1954
33 1954 to 1955
34 - 1955 - 1956
35 - 1957
36 - 1957 to 1958
37 - 1958 to 1959
38 1959 to 1960
39 - 1960 to 1961
40 - 1962
41 - 1962 to 1963
42 - 1963 to 1965

Chapter 2

• p6. Creek Hut, Meredith family's first house (photo of drawing. See Pl/35 (2280 From Mace Papers Archives Office of Tasmania, (copy neg)
• p7. Cambria, Meredith residence. Beattie photo
• p8a. Cranbrook House. Christmas card from "all at Cranbrook". ND
• p8b. Cranbrook House. G.M.P. photo (& neg) 1929
• p8c. Glen Gala. G.M.P. photo (&neg. See P1/35(111) 1929

Chapter 2 : Photographs with Dr. G.M. Parker's manuscript draft book

Photographs from chapter 2 :
• p6 Creek Hut, Meredith family's first house (photo of the drawing. See Pl/35(228» From Mace Papers Archives Office of Tasmania, (copy neg)
• p7 Cambria, Meredith residence. Beattie photo
• p8a Cranbrook House. Christmas card from "all at Cranbrook". ND
• p8b Cranbrook House. G.M.P. photo (& neg) 1929
• p8c Glen Gala. G.M.P. photo (&neg. See Pl/35(111) 1929

George Musgrave Parker

Chapter 3

• front Red Banks (Amos). Photo (cabinet mounted) ~ 1895
• p1B Apsley, the original home, log cabin (built 1826). Photo endorsed "per favour James Lyne, J.W. Beattie copy. (For copy & copy neg see Pl/35 (229)
• p5Ba Apslawn. G.M.P. photo (& neg) 1929
• p5Bb Apslawn front doorway. G.M.P. photo (& neg)
• p6Ba Milton, residence of J. Allen Esq. (ruined stone house built 1828). 1G.M.P. See also Pl/35(l09-110) & negs
• p6Bb Swanwick: Swan River entrance. Beattie postcard
• p11B The White Hut, Little Swanport. G.M.P. photo
• p14Ba Kelvedon, residence of F. Cotton (built 1830). G.M.P. photo 1926
• p14Bb Kelvdon, house and garden. See also Pl/35(lOO-102)
• p14C Red Banks, original house (built 1831-2). Beattie photo
• p14Da Rocky Hills Convict Station: treadmill. Photo ~ 1870-90 (stereo twin photo, copy neg)
• p14Db Rocky Hills Convict Station: Lime Kilns. Photo ~ 1870-90 (stereoscopic twin photo. copy neg)
• p14Ea Rocky Hills: site of convict station. Postcard (copy neg)
• p14Eb Rocky Hills: Commandant's quarters G.M.P. photo (& neg) 1926
• p14Ec Rocky Hills: view from rear of station, cemetery in foreground covered by scrub, site of buildings, sea and hills in distance. B. Sheppard photo (copy neg)

Chapter 7 : Photographs with Dr. G.M. Parker's manuscript draft book

Watercolours from chapter 7 :
• p3 "Waterloo Point". Watercolour on grey card. Endorsed "original was at Cambria dated 'Swansea 1852 R'. This copy was made by M.A. Walker 1928"
• p8 "Swanport" Watercolour on grey card. Copy by M.A. Walker of an original at Cambria: "F.M. to C.M. 1852"

George Musgrave Parker

Results 1 to 100 of 457