Showing 873 results

Authority record

Philip William (Phil) May

  • Person
  • 1864-1903

Black and white artist, born on 27 April 1864 at New Wortley, Leeds, England, second son of Philip May (d.1873), brassfounder, and his wife Sarah Jane (d.1912), née Macarthy.In 1885 May acceptd a contract with the Sydney Bulletin for £20 per week. In Sydney May manifested a Bohemian pattern of life with many friends in theatrical and artistic circles. His drawings first appeared in the Bulletin in January 1886 and continued regularly until late in 1888 and spasmodically thereafter until 1894. Many were of a political character, often aimed at such well-known personalities as John Robertson, Henry Parkes and George Reid. Others depended on the observation of social types, as in the series entitled 'Things We See When We Go Out without our Gun'. At their best they combined satire, sympathy and accurate detail. Altogether May produced over 800 drawings for the Bulletin. For more information see :

Pryor Caleb Tapping

  • Person
  • 1904-1988

Son of Herbert C. Tapping

R. Westland Marston

  • Person
  • 1845 -

Robert Westland Marston, born Briggs, Lincolnshire, England on the 17th March 1845. Eldest son of Henry and Janet Marston. Came to Tasmania and started a private school in Lower Piper, Tasmania. He applied to become a teacher in the public school sector on 26th April 1880. Wrote many articles and letters to various Tasmanian and English papers under the pseudonyms 'Scholasticus' or 'Schoolmaster'.

Rachel Mackie

  • Person
  • 1826-1906

Rachel Ann May of South Australia married Frederick Mackie and moved to Hobart Town Tasmania in 1856 on board the Wellington and briefly (1856-1861) opened a co-educational school.

Ralph Lindsay Harry

  • Person
  • 1917-2002

Ralph Lindsay Harry AC CBE (10 March 1917 – 7 October 2002) was one of Australia's pioneer diplomats and intelligence specialists. He was recognized as a skilled diplomatic professional with a mastery of the traditional conventions and methods of diplomacy and politics. For more information see :

Ralph Terry

  • Person
  • 1815-1892

Ralph Terry came to Australia as a child early in 1819, with his father, John Terry (1771-1844) who had been a miller in Yorkshire, England. The family moved to V.D.L. where John Terry established Lachlan Mill on land he was granted at New Norfolk. He married Frances Linton Simmons, daughter of James and Jane (Ann) Simmons)

Randolph Stuart Sanderson

  • Person
  • 1860-1933

Secretary of the Van Diemens Company, stationmaster of the Emu Bay railway and recognised authority on early Tasmanian history and Tasmanian nomenclature. Member of the first town board in Burnie and director and secretary of the Emu Bay Butter Factoryand member of the Loyal Wellington Lodge, M.U.I.O.O.P., he received the society's jewel for 50 years service. Director and secretary of Tattersall's Pty. Ltd. For more information see: Obituary Advocate 1 June 1933 - &

Reginald Andrew Wentworth Watson

  • Person

Professional writer and journalist with 50 years of published experience. He has many major publications to his credit, most dealing with Tasmanian history, including military. His late father, Reginald Gordon Watson, was a Rats of Tobruk man, his grandfather, Frederick Wentworth Watson, a Trooper of the Second Tasmanian Bushmen, (2TIB), Boer War. His mother was the late Ann Alma, nee Payne. He has four daughters, Kylie, Kate, Elspeth (Elly), Grace and eleven grand children. An ancestor was H.B. Marriott Watson, a famous writer in England. For more information see:

Religious Society of Friends

  • Corporate body
  • 1833 -

The Hobart meeting began in 1833 when the visiting Quakers, James Backhouse and George Washington Walker, held meetings for worship in the Quaker manner, and others wished to join them. Accordingly on 20 September 1833 a small group of Friends met in a private house in Bathurst street and formed a "Meeting for Discipline". In 1836 a house in Murray Street was purchased as a Meeting House. In 1880 a stone Meeting House was built behind the old weatherboard house and in 1960 the present site in Argyle Street next to the Friends School was purchased. For more information see :

Richard Bourke

  • Person
  • 1777-1855

Sir Richard Bourke (1777-1855), governor, was born on 4 May 1777 in Dublin, the son of John Bourke of Drumsally, County Limerick, and his wife Anne, daughter of Edmund Ryan of Boscable, County Tipperary. He was educated at Westminster School and at Oxford (B.A., 1798). For more information see

Richard Doddridge Blackmore

  • Person
  • 1825-1900

Richard Doddridge Blackmore, (born June 7, 1825, Longworth, Berkshire, England—died January 20, 1900, Teddington, Middlesex), English Victorian novelist whose novel Lorna Doone (1869) won a secure place among English historical romances. After publishing some poems, Blackmore produced Clara Vaughan, a first and fairly successful novel, in 1864 and Cradock Nowell in 1866. Lorna Doone (1869) was his third. For more information see:

Richard Dry

  • Person
  • 1815-1869

Sir Richard Dry (1815-1869), landowner and politician, was born on 20 September 1815 at Elphin Farm near Launceston, Van Diemen's Land, the elder son of Richard Dry and his wife Anne, née Maughan. He was educated at Kirklands, the boys' school conducted by Rev. John Mackersey at Campbell Town. At 21 he made a voyage to Mauritius and British Indian ports, and on his return devoted himself to farming the fine Quamby property left him by his father in 1843. He had been placed on the Commission of the Peace in 1837 by Sir John Franklin, who was impressed with Dry's personality and steady character. On 8 February 1844, Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Eardley-Wilmot nominated him a non-official member of the Legislative Council. For more information see

Richard Hilder

  • Person
  • 1856 -1938

Born in Emu Bay (Burnie) on 21 July 1856 to Thomas Hilder and Elizabeth Hayhoe who were pioneers of the Emu Bay region. He married Amelia, second daughter of Mr. James Hales, of Penguin Creek, in December, 1878. Richard was interested in local history, wrote a number of books and also wrote for the Burnie Advocate for a number of years. See Obituary - Advocate Monday 21 February 1938

Richard Lambeth

  • Person
  • 1807-1877

Richard Peter Lambeth was born in 1807 in Alverstoke, Hampshire, England. In 1837 he emigrated to Tasmania where in 1838 he worked as an art teacher and builder. Later in 1844 he designed the Jewish Synagogue in Launceston. Lambeth arrived in South Australia in 1846 but left several years later in 1852. He later lived in New South Wales and Victoria where he died in 1877. For more information see:

Richard Owen

  • Person
  • 1804-1892

Sir Richard Owen KCB FRMS FRS (20 July 1804 – 18 December 1892) was an English biologist, comparative anatomist and paleontologist. For more information see ODB -

Richard Perceval Davis

  • Person
  • 1935-2022

Richard was born at Nasik, India on 22 February 1935, the son of a forest officer from Ireland, and was educated mainly in Ireland (Belfast and Dublin). From the University of Dublin (Trinity College) he received an honours degree in History (1956), an MLitt for research on Irish History (1958) and the Higher Diploma in Education (1960). While lecturing in History at Otago University, Dunedin, 1964-66, he worked for a PhD at that institution (awarded in 1968). In 1967 he transferred to the University of Tasmania, from which he retired in 1996 as an Emeritus Professor. He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Humanities in 1997. Richard and Marianne Davis started Sassafras Books to publish Irish, New Zealand and Tasmanian History.

Richard Stickney

  • Person
  • died 1834

Richard Stickney (d.1834) was a young Quaker from the North of England. His sister, Esther, was a friend of George Washington Walker, the Quaker who accompanied James Backhouse on a missionary journey to Australia in 1831, and she asked him to look for her only brother, young Richard, who had run away to sea on an Australia bound ship, because of hardships in his job. By 1834, however, he had written to his sisters from Sydney but, before G.W. Walker was able to trace him there, his uncle Isaac Stickney received news of his nephew's death by drowning in November 1834 at the mouth of the Manning River N.S.W., from Thomas Soltit who kept the "Jolly Tar" public house where Stickney lodged in Sydney. Isaac Stickney wrote to Governor Burke of New South Wales enclosing Soltit's letter and asking for further information. This, together with information and papers from the Port Master, was given to Backhouse and Walker, who discovered that Richard had used an assumed name "Robert Smith" and had been employed by Thomas Steel as one of the seamen sailing up the East Coast for cedar on a small coasting craft which sank near the mouth of the Manning River, and that Steel had Stickney'S watch, gun and some old books (nautical works and 3 or 4 religious Friends' works). Stickney's own letter to his sister Sarah in 1834, with these papers, expressed regret at the grief he had caused his family and described his impressions of Sydney. He found that "the country born inhabitants are now becoming numerous and will soon form a sufficiently distinct people, they are a facsimile of the Americans both in body and mind, tall rawboned and muscular, with a most exalted opinion of themselves ¬ indeed in most athletic exercises as cricket, rowing or boxing they bear away more than their share of prizes. They are mostly ignorant to the last degree." The "currency lasses" he thought "not very elegant" but "there is one accomplishment not generally reckoned in the female list in which they excell they can most of them .swim." He remarked too that 99 percent of the children had fair hair. Richard Stickney attended the Friends (Quaker) Meeting House in Sydney when he had time. George Washington Walker wrote to Esther Stickney also of Quaker matters, his journey, botanical specimens, etc.

Risby Brothers

  • Corporate body
  • c1845-c1900

The Risby Timber Company until its demise in the mid-1990s was one of Australia's oldest family-run firms. Boat builders Thomas and Joseph Risby established a sawmill in Hobart in the mid-1840s. Thomas left, but Joseph had the business on a sound footing when his three sons took control in 1885, trading as Risby Brothers. By 1900 Risbys had ten vessels and their enterprises extended from the south-east to the west, with a depot and mill at Strahan (1897), followed by numerous bush mills in the Derwent Valley. They sold timber and timber-related products, and moved to different sites in Hobart as business expanded, particularly during the do-it-yourself boom of the 1970s. After the main Westerway mill burnt down in 1957, Risbys developed a state-of-the-art sawmill at Austins Ferry. Among numerous timber-based ventures, the company became embroiled in the conservation-forestry confrontation at Farmhouse Creek in 1986. The company closed in 1994. From:

Robert Andrew Mather

  • Person
  • 1815-1884

Robert Andrew Mather (1815-1884) was the son of Robert and Ann Mather, he married Ann Pollard (1820 - 1892) daughter of Theophilus Pollard and Ann (Lidbetter) in Sydney in 1839. Their children were: Samuel Robert (born 1843, died as an infant.), Ann Benson (born 1845, married' William E Shoobridge) Sarah Benson (1846 - 1875), Robert (1847 - 1913), Theophilus Henry ( born 1849), Thomas Bourne (1851 - 1925), Joseph Benson and Anna Maria ( twins born 1852 - died as infants), Jane Dixon (born 1854), George Lidbetter (1859-1864).
Photograph at

Robert Andrew Mather was the founded the firm of R.A. Mather, importers and family drapers in Liverpool. Street, Hobart, in 1849. In 1876 he took into partnership his sons, Robert and Thomas, and changed the name to Andrew Mather & Co. In 1894 Thomas retired leaving the business to Robert.

Robert Andrew Mather (Jnr)

  • Person
  • 1886-1968

Robert Andrew Mather was the son of Robert Mather (Jnr). He married to Ruth Anna Howie, Melbourne, 1912.

Robert Bruce Cotton

  • 1571-1631

Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, 1st Baronet, (born January 22, 1571, Denton, Huntingdonshire [now in Cambridgeshire], England—died May 6, 1631, Westminster, London), English antiquarian, the founder of the Cottonian Library, and a prominent Parliamentarian in the reign of Charles I. The collection of historical documents that he amassed in his library eventually formed the basis of the manuscript collection of the British Museum (founded 1753). For more information see:

Robert Campbell Gunn

  • Person
  • 1808-1881

Brother of William Gunn. Ronald Campbell Gunn (1808-1881), botanist, public servant and politician, was born at Cape Castle, Cape Town, the fourth son of William Gunn of Caithness, Scotland, a lieutenant in the 72nd Regiment, and his wife Margaret, née Wilson; and grandson of William Gunn and Ann, second daughter of Ronald Campbell of Wick, Scotland. Urged by his brother William, Gunn resigned his clerkship in 1829, returned to Edinburgh and sailed for Hobart Town in the Greenock. He arrived in February 1830 with letters from patrons that secured his appointment as overseer of the penitentiary under his brother. He became assistant superintendent of convicts at Launceston in December 1830, justice of the peace in 1833 and police magistrate at Circular Head in 1836. Back in Hobart, he was appointed fourth member of the Assignment Board and assistant police magistrate in 1838, assistant superintendent to the Male House of Correction in 1839, and private secretary to Sir John Franklin and clerk of the Legislative and Executive Councils in 1840. He resigned these appointments next year to become managing agent of the estates of William Lawrence, and two years later of Lady Jane Franklin's estates in Van Diemen's Land, as well as trustee for the Ancanthe botanical reserve and Betsy Island. For more information see:

Robert Cosgrove

  • Person
  • 1884-1969

Sir Robert Cosgrove K.C.M.G. (1884-1969), a grocer by trade, became a trade union leader and politician. He was State President of the A.L.P. in 1916 and first elected to the House of Assembly for Denison in that year. He was Premier of Tasmania 1939-47 and Premier and Minister of Education 1948-58. He married Gertrude Geappen in 1911. He received the Knighthood, K.C.M.G. in 1959 and his wife was made a Dame of the British Empire in 1949.

For more information see

Robert Cosgrove

  • Person
  • 1884-1969

Sir Robert Cosgrove K.C.M.G. (1884-1969), a grocer by trade, became a trade union leader and politician. He was State President of the A.L.P. in 1916 and first elected to the
House of Assembly for Denison in that year. He was Premier of Tasmania 1939-47 and Premier and Minister of Education 1948-58. He married Gertrude Geappen in 1911. He received the Knighthood, K.C.M.G. in 1959 and his wife was made a Dame of the British Empire in 1949.

Robert Doctor

  • Person
  • n.d.

Robert Doctor was a carpenter and landholder at Forcett

Robert Flack Ricards

  • Person
  • 1866-1938

Prominent Hobart architect and freemason. Reputed to have designed many Hobart buildings including, the North Hobart Post Office and the Treasury Chambers (cnr Murray and Davey), City Hall, Werndee in Lenah Valley and the Hobart High School among others. He arrived in Hobart in 1885 and had previously worked in London.

Robert George Crookshank Hamilton

  • Person
  • 1836-1895

Sir Robert George Crookshank Hamilton (1836-1895), civil servant and governor, was born on 30 August 1836 at Bressay, Shetland, Scotland, son of Rev. Zachary Macaulay Hamilton and his first wife Anne Irvine, née Crookshank. Educated at the Grammar School and at the University and King's College, Aberdeen (M.A., 1857; LL.D., 1885) Appointed Governor of Tasmania 1887-1893. For more information see:

Robert Guy Howarth

  • Person
  • 1906-1974)

Howarth established an international reputation as a specialist in Elizabethan tragedy and Restoration comedy; his contribution to Australian literature was as substantial and enduring as it is underrated. In 1939 he persuaded the Australian English Association to publish under his editorship the journal, Southerly. He judged work solely on the basis of literary quality, and announced that the journal would eschew political and ideological considerations. Not only did Howarth influence Australian writing through deciding who would or would not be published in the 1940s and 1950s, but, as a literary critic for both the Sydney Morning Herald and Southerly, he made decisive assessments of writers as diverse as Christopher Brennan, Hugh McCrae, Furphy, Neilson, Stead and Patrick White. For more information see :

Robert James Morris

  • Person
  • 1880-1963

Robert James Morris (1880-1963), youngest son of William K and Sarah Morris, became a bookseller in Hobart. On a visit to his relatives in England 1905-1907 he corresponded with his brothers and sisters in Hobart.

Robert Knopwood

  • Person
  • 1763-1838

Robert Knopwood (1763–1838), clergyman, was the son of a gentleman farmer in Norfolk. The family struggled against debts and Robert's only inheritance was the family silver. After gaining his MA at Oxford, he entered the Anglican ministry in 1788. One of his first sermons, the theme of which was repeated often during his life, demonstrated his belief that his duty was to make known the Christian Gospel which should be put into practice by his hearers. He joined the Navy as a chaplain in 1801, was appointed to Collins' expedition, and arrived at Port Phillip in 1803. From that time he acted not only as cleric but also as magistrate.

Knopwood kept a diary which gives a valuable record of colonial life in a new colony. He was a genial character who mixed with all classes of people; and despite later criticism by higher authority managed to give a relatively unbiased account of the early turbulent years of settlement. Governor Macquarie was not an admirer – criticising Knopwood's support of Collins against Bligh – and Knopwood has been criticised for his harshness as a magistrate, but his treatment of guilty persons was typical for the times. His adoption of a 'poor orphan child', Elizabeth Mack (later Morrisby) showed the sympathetic side of his nature, and he became a friend and supporter of Catholic chaplain Conolly. Despite recurrent attacks of illness, he continued to carry out his clerical duties, and died in 1838, his last sermon stating his view of humanity: 'it consists of supporting the Man, and maintaining the Christian'. For more information see

Robert Lathrop Murray

  • Person
  • 1777–1850

Robert William Felton Lathrop Murray (1777-1850), landowner, soldier, convict and journalist, was the only son of Robert Lathropp and his wife Ann, née Williams, of West Felton, Shropshire, and Smith Square, London. Educated at Westminster School and Cambridge University, he was granted a commission in the 2nd Royal Manx Fencibles in 1795. On coming of age he assumed the additional surname of Murray, claiming descent from a certain Robert Murray who, as the son of Sir William Murray, baronet, of Dynnyrne, Scotland, had married into the Lathropp family in 1630 and taken their name. A government announcement in the London Gazette, 3 April 1802, refers to him as Sir Robert Lathropp Murray, and this title was used in other periodicals of that time. He served in the Peninsular war, and the Army Lists from 1807 to 1814 show him attached to the 7th Foot, 1st Foot and from 1811, captain in the Royal Waggon Train.
In January 1815 he was tried for bigamy before the Recorder of London, and sentenced to transportation for seven years. His first mention is as clerk and constable of the Sydney bench, an employee of D'Arcy Wentworth, in 1816. He was granted a pardon soon after arrival, and was recorded in the Sydney Gazette as principal clerk in the Police Office, and in 1820 assistant superintendent. He also engaged in outside business which took him to Hobart Town in 1821. In the next eight years he was given some large grants of land to the south of the town; he lived first at Dynnyrne Distillery in south Hobart and later built Dynnyrne House, which gave its name to a suburb. Across the Derwent, a mile (1.6 km) beyond Kangaroo Point (Bellerive), was his country house, Wentworth.
In 1824 a number of letters signed 'A Colonist' began appearing in the press, violently criticizing the administration; at a public function on 7 April 1825 Murray acknowledged their authorship. He became editor of the Hobart Town Gazette on 8 July, and of the Colonial Times from 19 August 1825 to 4 August 1826
for more information see:

Robert Leslie Dunbabin

  • 1869-1949

Robert Leslie Dunbabin (1869-1949), MA. (Oxford) was Professor of Classics 1914 - 1939 and was appointed first in 1902-1905 as lecturer in mental & moral science and in 1906 lecturer in classics, modern history and mental and moral science. He was educated at Hutchins School, Hobart, and Corpus Christi College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1892. In 1894-5 he taught at Melbourne Church of England School, then at Hutchins School, Hobart 1897 - 1901. In 1905 he was temporary Associate Professor of Classics at the University of Adelaide.
For more information see :

Robert Mackenzie Johnston

  • Person
  • 1845 -1918

Robert Mackenzie Johnston (1845 -1918), Government Statistician, arrived in Tasmania in 1870 and took a job in the accounts branch of the Launceston and Western Railway until he entered Government service in 1872. In 1882 he was appointed Government Statistician and Registrar General. In that year he was also appointed one of the commissioners to report on fisheries in Tasmania. In 188 theGovernment published his paper 'A systematic account of the geology of Tasmania'.
He was a prominent member of the Royal Society of Tasmania and contributed many papers to its Papers & Proceedings (see the list in Pap. & Proc. 1918 pp 136-144). He
was a fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, The Royal geographical Society of Australia and the Linnean Society.
For more information see

Robert Mather

  • Person
  • 1782-1855

Robert Mather (1782-1855) was a draper of London, son of Mather of Lauder near Berwick-on-Tweed, UK . In 1821 Robert Mather joined a group of members of the Wesleyan Methodist Society who proposed to charter a ship to proceed to VDL., and many of the papers are business papers relating to this proposal and the subsequent delays when the ship 'Hope' was seized by H M Customs as being unseaworthy and held in Ramsgate until the party was eventually transferred to the 'Heroine' in 1822 (Ml0/1-15, R&/21-32). Robert and Ann Mather and four children arrived in Tasmania in September 1822. Robert Mather rented a house for one hundred pounds a year and set up in business, for the first few months in partnership with a fellow passenger, Henry Hopkins. Later, in 1823, he moved to 'London House' which he had built at the corner of Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets where he established a general store and drapery business: In 1824 he acquired land at Muddy Plains, called Lauderdale, where he farmed. After his wife's death in 1831 he closed the Hobart business and moved to the farm, until in 1836 financial problems made it necessary to establish a business again in partnership with his sons.
Their children were: Sarah Benson (born 1812, married 1840 George Washington Walker, Quaker missionary); Joseph Benson (born 1814, married 1842 Anna Maria Cotton, children: Joseph Francis (1844-1925), Anna Maria (1846 -), Esther Ann (1849 - r married CH Robey); Maria Louisa (1851~1857); Emma Elizabeth (1853 - married William Benson); Frances Josephine (1855­ -1856); Robert Andrew (1815-1884, married Ann Pollard, children: Samuel Robert (1843-); Ann Benson (1845-); Sarah Benson (1846-75); Robert (1847-1912); Theophilus Henry; Thomas Bourne (1851-1926); Joseph Benson (1852); Jane Dixon (1854-); George Lidbetter (1859-64), and two others who died in infancy.
For more information see

Robert Mather (Jnr)

  • Person
  • 1847-1913

Robert Mather (1847-1913), son of Robert Andrew Mather, was a partner with his father and brother, Thomas, in Andrew Mather & Co. importers and family drapers, Liverpool Street, and took over the business in 1894 when Thomas retired. He was on the committee of the Friends High School, a trustee of the Tasmanian Temperance Alliance and was appointed a justice of the peace in 1895. Robert Mather married Elizabeth Ann Fisher in 1874 and they had ten children: Robert Douglas (died 14 Feb. 1878 aged 2 1/2), OswaId Lidbetter (born 1876), Ruth Annie (1878), Lillie Roberta (1879), Hazel Mary (?1880), Raymond Lamont (1883-1962), Ida Sarah (1885) Robert Andrew (1886-1968) Irene (1889-1893) Clara Hope (1892-1973)

Robert Officer

  • Person
  • 1800-1879

Sir Robert Officer (1800-1879), medical officer and politician, was born on 3 October 1800 near Dundee, Scotland, the son of Robert Officer, of Jacksbank, and his wife Isabella, née Kerr. In 1821 he obtained his diploma as a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, London. As ship's surgeon in the Castle Forbes he arrived at Hobart Town in March 1822. By May he was a supernumerary assistant surgeon at 3s. a day. On 25 October 1823 at St David's Church he married Jemima, daughter of Myles Patterson of Hunterston on the Shannon River. In 1824 Officer was moved to New Norfolk, allotted a district 'seven miles [11 km] along the Derwent River', and given a forage allowance. By 1827 his district had increased to 'thirty five miles [56 km] through populous districts'; he also acted as surgeon to the military garrison and their families and had charge of the New Norfolk Hospital, of convicts on many public works and of the gaol where he attended all corporal punishments. For these duties his pay was increased to 7s. a day and he was promoted district surgeon and appointed a magistrate. In 1831 he was criticized for sending convicts from road-gangs to New Norfolk for treatment, thereby interfering with their discipline; his reply was that he had 'no desire to be known as a mere slave driver.
For more information see

Robert Russell

  • Person
  • 1808-1877

Reverend Robert Russell arrived in Evandale to commence his parish duties on the 9th April 1838. At that time there was no church building and services were then held in private residences. The Scottish Community of Evandale had raised funds for the building of a Kirk (Church) and along with a grant from the Government this enabled the laying of a foundation stone in 1838 by the Governor, Sir John Franklin and from this the Kirk (Church) became a reality with the dedication of St. Andrews on 5th September 1840. Russel served as minister up until 1873. He was involved in the setting up of the Evandale reading -room and Library. He died in Launceston 31st March 1877

Robert Sharman

  • Person
  • 1928-2018

Robert Sharman, State archivist and State librarian, was born and educated in Tasmania (BA, University of Tasmania, 1949). Appointed Tasmania's first State Archivist in 1949. For more information see:

Robert Vincent Legge

  • Person
  • 1803-1891

Robert Vincent Legge (1803-1891) husband of Eliza Graves, née de Lapenotierre; son of Michael Legge, (1764-1834) barrister of Dublin. Legge arrived Tasmania on 12 August 1827 in the Medway with his five sisters, four of whom soon married; he was granted 1200 acres (486 ha) near Fingal which he named Cullenswood after his home in Ireland. Christ Church was built in 1847 on land, donated by Legge, which was sub-divided from “Cullenswood”.

Roderic O'Connor

  • Person
  • 1784-1860

Roderic O'Connor (1784-1860), public servant and landowner, was the son of Roger O'Connor and his first wife Louisa Anna, née Strachan. O'Connor's motives for emigrating to Van Diemen's Land can only be guessed, but the fact that he brought with him in his own ship Ardent his natural sons William and Arthur (Rattigan) may give the clue. They arrived in May 1824 and O'Connor, who had considerable capital, received a free 1000-acre (405 ha) grant on the Lake River. Here his experiences on his father's land and as a practical engineer were not wasted; bridges, weirs and farm buildings were among his early improvements. He lost no opportunity to increase his estate either by free grant or by shrewd purchase and in four years had trebled it. For more information see

Roger Wettenhall

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/3
  • Person
  • 1931 -

Employed as a Lecturer, senior lecturer, reader in public administration (Political science) at the University of Tasmania from 1962 to 1971. He has written many academic books on public administration and political science.

Roland Arnold Rodda

  • Person
  • 1917-1993

Roland Rodda, MD, ChB, FRCPath, FRCPA was foundation Professor of Pathology at the University of Tasmania until his retirement in 1982. Born Wellington New Zealand in 1917 and educated at Wellington College and the University of Otago. Served in the Royal New Zealand Airforce from 1943-1946, for more information see his obituary I Pathology V27 (1) 1995 p107-108

Roland Wilson

  • Person
  • 1904–1996

Sir Roland WIlson Roland Wilson was born in Ulverstone, Tasmania, on April 7, 1904. His father was a builder and contractor. The boy won a scholarship at Devonport High School to take an economics course at the University of Tasmania. He had intended to return to Ulverstone but one of his tutors persuaded him to try for a Rhodes Scholarship. He did so, successfully. The scholarship took him in 1925 to Oxford University. Already a bachelor of commerce from the University of Tasmania, he won at Oxford a prize in colonial history and secured, with distinction, a diploma in economics and political science. He became a doctor of philosophy after writing a thesis on the import of capital.
For more information see :

Rolf Hennequel

  • Person
  • 1895-1971

Professor Rolf Hennequel (1895-1971) was a philologist and writer who emigrated to Tasmania in 1952 and established the Wattle Grove Press in 1958. His early works bear the name Henkl, and he published largely under the pseudonym Albin Eiger. Hennequel was born in Vienna in 1895. His education was undertaken in China, United States of America, Egypt, Greece and France and he became fluent in French, German, English, Latin, Italian and Spanish and competent in Egyptian hieroglyphics. His studies included classical and oriental languages, archaeology, philology and comparative literature. From 1925 he took up academic or teaching posts in Japan, China, Afghanistan and Australia. After establishing Wattle Grove Press in Launceston, Tasmania, Hennequel published his own poems and scholarly novels as well as limited editions of works by Pat Flower, Rodney Hall, Howard Mitcham, Marguerite Harris, Wilhelm Hiener, Dorothy Hewett and Philip Ward. From

Ronald Campbell Smith

  • Person
  • 1900-1971

Ronald Campbell Smith joined the Tasmanian Government Railways as an apprentice in 1916 and worked for them until 1943 when he was transferred to the Commonwealth Department of Labour and National Service, as an industrial officer and later the District Employment Officer. He was an active member of the Australian Railways Union and the Amalgamated Engineering Union, and was employees' Advocate on the Appeal Board. He was also a member of the Hobart Trades Council. Active in the Australian Labor Party, he was elected President of the Tasmanian Section in 1936. He served on the Hobart Hospital Board from 1936 and was Vice-Chairman 1936-1950, and on the Peacock Hospital Board of Management from 1941 until 1971, being Chairman from 1952. He was appointed justice of the peace for the Hobart district in 1934. He also served as a stipendiary steward for the Hobart Greyhound Racing Club for ten years, and in his younger days he played football.

Ronald Edgar Smith

  • 1881-1969

Secretary of the Cradle Mountain Reserve Board Smith was born in Ulverstone, Tasmania the fifth child of James "Philosopher" Smith and Mary Jane (née Pleas) Love on 25 July 1881, the second son of their six children

Ronald Turner Ralph

  • Person
  • 1917 -

Ronald Turner Ralph was the youngest child of Ellen Mary Ralph (nee Turner) and Walter Ralph. He was born in Launceston on 11th October? 1917. He attended school in Launceston. He went on to study at the University of Tasmania where he completed a degree in Civil Engineering. He may have worked in customs surrounding this time or after he completed university. He then worked for the Post Master General's (PMG) Department in Hobart and later transferred to the Melbourne workshops in South Melbourne. He married Esme Hazel whilst at the PMG in Hobart. There were no children.

Ronald Worthy Giblin

  • Person
  • 1863-1936

Surveyor and historian, he was born on 3 January 1863 in Hobart, son of Thomas Giblin, banker, and his wife Mary Ann, née Worthy. He was grandson of Robert Wilkins Giblin. Author of "The Early History of Tasmania". He was a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and of the Royal Colonial Institute. A member of the Royal Society of Tasmania from 1926, he also published articles on Tasmanian history in its Papers and Proceedings (1925 and 1929).
For more information see

Rose Grant

  • Person
  • 1831-1905

Daughter of James and Caroline Grant of Tullochgorum and foster sister to Maria Hammond who later married John Meredith.
Rose married her cousin Thomas Montague (called Montague) Hammond (1826-1860). Montague was consumptive and travelled to Tasmania for his health with his cousin James Grant jun., who had been in England to attend a London college. He settled at Emley Park, Balian, Victoria and married his cousin Rose Grant in 1853. They had 4 children: Lina, Rose Katherine (Katie), Jessie and a boy who died. After Montague's death, Rose returned to Tullochgorum and after a few years there moved to Launceston and later to Melbourne.

Rose Stereograph Company

  • Corporate body

George Rose was born in Clunes, Victoria in 1861 and later worked in his father’s boot-making business in Prahran while studying photography. In 1880 he founded the Rose Stereograph Company and became famous for producing stereographs, or stereoviews, which gave the illusion of being in 3D when seen through a hand-held viewer. In 1913, after the world wide decline in popularity of stereographs he turned his attention to the production of postcards which had become very popular in Australia and overseas. He published postcards in Melbourne which included Tasmania views by S. Spurling. Suprlings negatives were acquired by Rose in 1937.
The Rose Stereograph Company first started producing the ‘P Series’ postcards in 1913 and continued until 1967 at which time they switched to machine manufactured colour postcards printed by an outside firm.

Rosina Meredith

  • Person
  • 1833-1858

Married Frederick William Despard in 1858. Died in Rome from tuberculosis in 1858. Had one child Frederica Mary (1856 - ) who married Herbert Hamilton Kinloch

Rossbank Observatory

  • Corporate body
  • 1840-1854

Rossbank functioned from 1840 to 1854 as one of a chain of British Colonial Observatories which combined with European and Asian observatories in the study of terrestrial magnetism. It was established in Hobart, Tasmania, by the Governor of Van Diemen's Land, Sir John Franklin, and Captain James Clark Ross, R.N., commanding H.M. ships Erebus and Terror. For more information see: ANNAls OF SCIENCE, 39 (1982), 527-564

Rostrum Australia

  • Corporate body
  • 1030 -

Rostrum Australia is an association of public speaking clubs, founded on 21 July 1930. The original Rostrum club ("The Rostrum") was founded in Manchester, England, on 21 July 1923 and its first meeting was held under a yew tree at Greendale Farm near Manchester. The first meeting in Australia was held under an Angophora tree in 1930. This makes Rostrum the longest-running public speaking organisation in the world. for mor information see :

Roy Ormandy Cox

  • Person
  • 1903-1976

Roy Cox was a Tasmanian painter, water-colouristist,illustrator, printer, printmaker. He worked in lino-cuts, lithographs, and woodcuts. He worked as a printer with Cox Kay Pty Ltd, a long-standing printing and stationary business located in Collins Street Hobart. It undertook at various times lithography, printing, book-binding, stationary and box-making.

Royal Hobart Regatta Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1838-

The Royal Hobart Regatta began in 1838, is a series of aquatic competitions and displays held annually in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia and is Tasmania's oldest sporting event. The regatta runs for three days, ending on the second Monday in February, and dominates the whole river for the duration of the event. The regatta of 6 February 1934 was the first to be called the Royal Hobart Regatta, the title being conferred by King George V. On 1 December 1838, the first Hobart Town Anniversary Regatta was held in Hobart, Tasmania to celebrate the Tasmanian Anniversary of the 17th-century European discovery of the island by Dutch explorer Abel Tasman, who made the first reported European sighting of the island on 24 November 1642. It was decided that the annual anniversary regatta should be celebrated by the wearing of a sprig of silver wattle blossom tied with British Navy blue ribbon.[4] It was begun by the then Governor of Tasmania, Sir John Franklin. Franklin provided free food and beer for all of the spectators, and the tradition of free entry continues to this day.
For more information see

Royal Society of St George

The Society comprised Englishmen and their descendants with the object of upholding the English tradition alongside some benevolent activity. There were various branches around the State.

Royal Tasman Bridges

  • Person
  • 1885-1952

Royal Tasman Bridges (Roy) (1885-1952), journalist and novelist, was born in Hobart on 23 March 1885, son of Samuel Bridges, basketmaker, and his wife Laura Jane, née Wood, descendants of Tasmanian pioneers. He was educated at Queen's College, Hobart, in 1894-1901, and graduated B.A. from the University of Tasmania in 1905. A small man, shy, sensitive and given to nervous depression, he held a great affection for his mother. From tales retold by her he developed an interest in Tasmanian and family history and an intense attachment to Wood's Farm, near Sorell, the Wood home for over a century. For more information see

Ruth Sansom

  • Person

Ruth Sansom (nee Large) was the wife of renowned, teacher, poet and conservationist Clive Sansom. They met while she was studying in London in the 1930's and married there in 1937. In 1949 visited Tasmania to see Ruth's parents and decided to stay.
Together they ran the Department of Education's Speech Centre from 1950 - 1965. They also worked as script-writers for the ABC's "Speaking and Listening" programme for primary schools from 1951 - 1965. Taken from

Sabina Meredith

  • Person
  • 1810-1877

Sabina married John Boyes on 9th March 1833. They had 10 children - Louisa (1834-1925), Isabella (1835-1885), Sabina Meredith (1838-1892), Charles Crofton (1838-1892),George Campbell (1841-1910 Admiral R.N.),John Edward(1843-1915 General), Frank Gordon ( ? ), Duncan, ( -1869 RN.VC. NZ.),Helen Campbell ( -1918), son (1854-1854),

Samuel Benson

  • 1843 -

Reverend Samuel Benson (1843- ) son of Rev. Joseph Benson (1749-1821), a prominent Methodist minister. Samuel Benson was for many years rector at St. Saviours, Southwark. He was the youngest brother of Ann Benson, and uncle to Sarah Benson Walker, wife of George Washington Walker

Samuel Ousten Lovell

  • ? 1822-1893

First son of Esh Lovell (1796-1865), Wesleyan missioner and Anne Ousten, arrived in Hobart Town on the "Avon" in July 1823

Samuel Ready

  • Person
  • c1865

Samuel Ready arrived in Launceston, Tasmania on 22 May 1865 on the ship Utopia, which sailed from Liverpool, England. He lived in La Trobe and operated a saddlery and was also the postmaster there. Mr Ready also obtained the first musical instruments for the Latrobe Federal Band, which is now the oldest continuously operating band in Australia.

Samuel Warren Carey

  • Person
  • 1911-2002

Professor S. Warren Carey (as he preferred to be known) was appointed Foundation Professor of Geology at UTAS and took up duties on 27 October 1946. He personified a philosophy of synthesis/integration that lies at the heart of large-scale disciplines such as geology and astronomy. This philosophy is complementary to but sometimes seen to be in conflict with the reductionist approach that characterises so much modern science. He was also a strong proponent of the mantra of 'We are blinded by what we think we know; disbelieve if you can'. For more information see

Sarah Bell

  • Person
  • 1803–1885

Sarah Bell, née Danby (1803–85), was born in London, England. After migrating to New South Wales, she married George Bell (1805–1852)at Bullhill, near Liverpool, New South Wales, in 1834. The couple had three children—Sarah Jane (1836), Walter Stephen (1837) and Anne Danby (1839)—before relocating to Launceston, Van Diemen’s Land, in 1839 in order to operate a school. Anne Danby Bell died in Launceston in January 1840, but the couple had their youngest child, George Renison Bell, at Bothwell later that year. Sarah’s husband, George Bell, died in Hobart Town in 1852. In January 1855 her elder son, seventeen-year-old Walter, was sent to live at Port Arthur in hope of improving his health.

Sarah Benson Walker

  • Person
  • 1812-1893

Sarah Benson Walker (nee Mather) was the daughter of Methodists, Robert and Ann Mather, who joined the Quakers in 1834. That same year Sarah agreed to marry George Washinton Walker, despite once referring to him and James Backhouse as those 'pesky Quakers'. Sarah had ten children and served on Jane's Franklin's visiting committee to the Cascades Female Factory, and regularly participated in Monthly Meetings.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

  • Person
  • 1853-1946

Born 2 June 1853 second daughter of John & Catherine Augusta (Keast) Mitchell. Sarah started keeping a diary at the age of thirteen and continued until she was ninety-two, although for the last few years she had to dictate them to her niece, Grace.

Sarah Hammond

  • Person

Mrs Sarah Hammond, youngest daughter of Reverend Joseph Benson and sister of Ann Benson. Married James Hammond and had two children James and Sarah, both of whom never married

Sarah Rothwell

  • Person
  • 1807-1876

Sarah Rothwell (1807-1876), who married Thomas James Crouch (1805-1890),Under-Sheriff, on 20 February 1832, was the sister of John Rothwell and aunt of Sarah (Rothwell) Morris.

Sarah Westall Meredith

  • Person
  • 1807-1869

Daughter of George Meredith and Sarah Westall Hicks ( 1788-1820) married James Peck Poynter

Sarah Westall Meredith (nee Hicks)

  • 1788-1820

First wife of George Meredith married in 1805 and died suddenly in 1820. They had five children: George (1806-1836), Sarah Westall (1807-1869), Louisa (1808-1890), Sabina (1810-1877), Charles (1811-1880).

Sidney John Baker

  • Person
  • 1912-1976

Philologist and journalist.

Sidney Baker was born in Wellington, New Zealand, to English-born parents Sidney George Baker and Lilian Selby (née Whitehead). He was educated at Wellington College and Victoria University College, Wellington, though he did not graduate from the latter. He was influenced by the writings of Sigmund Freud and Friedrich Nietzsche, and was an admirer of D.H. Lawrence.

Baker arrived in Australia in 1935. After a period spent in London, he returned to New Zealand, but soon found himself back in Australia, where he worked as a journalist on numerous papers: A.B.C. Weekly (1941-42), the Daily Telegraph (1943-46), the Melbourne Herald and Sun News-Pictorial (1946-47), and the Sydney Morning Herald (from 1947).
However, his primary work (on which his posthumous reputation rests) was his exhaustive collection and interpretation of Australian idioms. He researched language in Australia and New Zealand and published several books on the subject, including Dictionary of Australian Slang (1941) and The Australian Language (1945). For more information see:

Silk and Textile Printers Pty. Ltd

  • Corporate body
  • 1947-2002

Silk and Textiles Pty. Ltd. was formed in Sydney in 1939 by the Alcorso family. In 1945 they were looking for new premises, and Premier Robert Cosgrove persuaded them with cheap electricity to come to Hobart in 1947. The factory spun, wove and printed raw silk, and used cotton for furnishings and sheets – Silk and Textiles was the first in Australia to make coloured sheets. At its peak the factory employed 1400 people. It provided housing for immigrant workers, and involved the labour force in running the factory, with worker representation in the boardroom, a profit-sharing system and the first 40-hour week in Tasmania. Relations with workers were excellent.
For more information see :

Sir Henry Seymour Baker

  • Person
  • 1890-1968

A long-serving member (1928-34 and 1940-63) of the council of the University of Tasmania, he was appointed deputy-chancellor in 1956 and became chancellor after the death in July of Sir John Morris. President of the Southern Law Society (1939-41) and the Southern Tasmanian Bar Association (1953-56), Baker was vice-president (1955) of the Tasmanian branch of the International Commission of Jurists and a director of the Australian Mutual Provident Society; he was also a member of the Returned Sailors', Soldiers' and Airmen's Imperial League of Australia, and of the Tasmanian, Hobart Legacy, and Naval and Military clubs. For more information see :

Smithton [Baptist Church]

  • Corporate body
  • c1942-1985

Last Church meeting (22 Feb 1985) concerned the amalgamation of two churches and resolved to form a management committee

Results 601 to 700 of 873