Showing 873 results

Authority record

James Ross

  • Person
  • 1786-1838

James Ross (1786-1838), teacher and editor, was baptized on 4 January 1787 at Aberdeen, Scotland, the third son of Alexander Ross, writer to the signet, and his wife Catharine, née Morrison. He was educated at Marischal College, Aberdeen (M.A., 1803; LL.D., 1818) and conducted a school first at Sevenoaks, Kent, and then at Sunbury, Middlesex, where he married Susannah, née Smith. He won great esteem as a schoolmaster but by 1822 was in financial difficulties and in poor health. He decided to emigrate to Van Diemen's Land and make a home there for his rapidly growing family, to farm and to teach a few pupils.
Supported by a recommendation from Lachlan Macquarie to Lieutenant-Governor William Sorell and with a capital of £1309, including books worth £100, he arrived at Hobart Town in the Regalia in December 1822 and in January was granted 1000 acres (405 ha) on the River Shannon.
For more information see:

James Willson Agnew

  • Person
  • 1815–1901

Sir James Willson Agnew (1815-1901), medical practitioner and politician, was born on 2 October 1815 at Ballyclare, County Antrim, Ireland, son of James William Agnew, physician, and his wife Ellen, née Stewart. After studying medicine at London (M.R.C.S., 1838), Paris and Glasgow (M.D., 1839), he emigrated to Sydney where he practised for a few months; he then decided to take up land in the Port Phillip District but in Melbourne had second thoughts when he received a letter offering him appointment as private secretary to Sir John Franklin, lieutenant-governor of Van Diemen's Land. By the time he arrived in Hobart Town the position had been filled, so he applied for professional employment. His first appointment was in 1841 as assistant surgeon to the agricultural establishment; later that year he became assistant surgeon to the Saltwater River probation station on Tasman Peninsula.
Agnew was an early member of the Tasmanian Society (later Royal Society), and in 1841 his first paper, 'Notes on the teeth and poison apparatus of the snakes of Tasman's peninsula', was published in the second volume of the Tasmanian Journal of Natural Science. In 1851 he was elected to the council of the Royal Society, and was its honorary secretary in 1861-81 and 1884-94. He became the first chairman of the board of management of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, and an early chairman of the trustees of the Hobart Public Library; he retained both offices until 1901. His ethnological pamphlet, Last of the Tasmanians, was published in Sydney in 1888.
For more information see :

James Wilson Agnew

  • Person
  • 1815 - 1901

Sir James Wilson Agnew (1815 - 1901) was an assistant surgeon in 1841 and later Colonial Surgeon of Tasmania. He was secretary of the Royal Society of Tasmania 1861-1881
and 1884 - 1894 and was chairman of the Board of Management of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, 1886 - 1901. He was a member of the Legislative Council 1877 - 1881, 1884 - 1887 and premier 1886-1887. Obituary : . For more information see :

Jane Franklin

  • Person
  • 1791-1875

Lady Jane Franklin was born on 4 December 1791, the daughter of John Griffin, silk weaver, of London, and Mary, née Guillemard. In 1828 she married (as his second wife) John Franklin, who was appointed lieutenant-governor of Van Diemen's Land in 1836. For more information see :

Jane Simmons

  • Person
  • 1803-

Mrs James Simmons nee Jane Hall, mother of Frances Linton Linton Simmons (b. 1823), the wife of Ralph Terry

Janet Dora Hine

  • Person
  • 1923 - 2012

Janet Hine was born in Sydney and educated at North Sydney Girls High School and the University of Sydney, graduating with a BA (Hons) in 1947. She joined the Public Library of
New South Wales in 1941 and worked for about ten years in the Mitchell Library, before moving to the cataloguing department. In 1954 she was appointed the Library’s first liaison officer in London, based at the office of the New South Wales Agent-General. She travelled widely in Britain, acquiring many valuable records for the Mitchell Library. In addition, she worked closely with the National Library’s liaison officer in London identifying records that might be filmed by the Australian Joint Copying Project. For more information see:

Jessie Rosina Meredith

  • Person
  • 1863-1944

Fourth daughter of John Meredith and Maria Hammond. Granddaughter to George and Mary Ann Meredith. Married Franklin Stanhope Grant. They had three children - Franklin Leslie Meredith Grant (1898-1964), Jessie Cecilia Grant (1899- ) and James Lionel LeNeve Grant (1902- )

John Meredith

  • Person
  • c1800-

Son of James and Sarah Meredith was George Meredith's young cousin who accompanied the family to Van Dieman's Land. He received land grants at Swanport and Jericho
but returned to England in 1822,Ieaving his land in hi s cousin's possession. There are a few references to him in George and Mary Meredith's letters of 1822-3.

John Alexander Eddie

  • Person
  • 1796 -1876

John Eddie, merchant and auctioneer of Launceston.

John Alexander Ferguson

  • Person
  • 1881-1969

Sir John Alexander Ferguson (1881-1969), bibliographer and judge, was born on 15 December 1881 at Invercargill, New Zealand, eldest of five children of Rev. John Ferguson, Presbyterian minister, and his wife Isabella, née Adie, both Scottish born. Educated at Invercargill until his father was called in 1894 to St Stephen's, Phillip Street, Sydney, John continued at the William Street Public School, then was privately tutored by James Oliver. At the University of Sydney (B.A., 1902; LL.B., 1905; D.Litt., 1955) Ferguson was a contemporary of H. M. Green, and graduated in arts with first-class honours and the university medal in logic and mental philosophy. For more information see

John Andrew Feely

  • Person
  • 1902-1965

John Andrew Feely was Chief librarian at the State Library of Victoria during the years 1960-1965

John Beaumont

  • Person
  • 1789–1872

John Beamont (1789-1872), settler and public servant, was born probably in London where his father had a 'lockup shop' in Wych Street. He became a protégé of Lieutenant-Governor Thomas Davey who was said to have been in debt to Beamont's father. He arrived at Sydney presumably as Davey's secretary in the Minstrel on 25 October 1812, and proceeded to the Derwent; there Governor Lachlan Macquarie ordered that he be granted 300 acres (121 ha) and assigned two convict servants. For more information see:

John Campbell Macdougall

  • Person
  • 1805?-1848

John Campbell Macdougall (1805?-1848), printer, publisher and editor, was the son of John Macdougall (1781-1845), who after a court action over the insurance of a ship sunk in the North Sea in 1815 had sailed for Van Diemen's Land in 1821 and become a merchant and agent. J. C. Macdougall followed him in 1825, and next year established a store in Hobart Town. In 1827 he bought the Tasmanian from George Howe, and became its editor and publisher-proprietor, adopting a moderate attitude to the government. For more information see :

John Charles Hargrave

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2020/2
  • Person
  • 1931-2020

John Charles Hargrave AO, MBE, MD, DSc(Hon), MBBS, FRACS, DTMH (1931-2020), plastic and reconstructive surgeon, was born in Perth and grew up in Western Australia. After attending Medical School at the University of Adelaide, he went to the Northern Territory in 1956. Hargrave was the medical officer with the 1957 Lake McKay expedition which contacted some of the last remaining groups of the nomadic Pintubi people of the Western Desert who had no previous contact with colonists. He noted their robust good health and advised against any relocation or interference.
Posted initially to Alice Springs as a ‘Native Surveys Medical Officer’, this involved examining all the Aboriginal people on various settlements and missions in Central Australia, looking for specific ailments – particularly Tuberculosis, Trachoma, Hookworm, Leprosy Otitis media, Anaemia, and Hypertension – and relating it to the environmental conditions under which the people lived. He realised he knew nothing about Aboriginal Australia and contacted the celebrated anthropologist Olive Pink, who agreed to meet him.
During his early surveys, he noted that leprosy was a significant health issue. It had been brought into the Territory in the 1880s by gold miners and labourers, spreading disproportionately into Aboriginal communities. Leprosy patients, including children as young as four years of age, were forcibly removed from their families and incarcerated, usually for the rest of their lives – first on Mud Island, then on Channel Island in the Darwin harbour. In 1956, the East Arm Leprosarium on the mainland, staffed by Catholic Sisters from the order of Daughters of the Sacred Heart, replaced the island leprosarium. Hargrave became its medical superintendent. He brought a respectful, collaborative approach to the care of Aboriginal patients, who had grown so afraid of Commonwealth institutional powers that they would often hide their symptoms to avoid separation from their families.
All his life he had an easy, respectful, engaging manner with all he interacted with - regardless of race, status, or language. He dedicated himself to learning common phrases of all the languages of all the people he worked with, both in the NT, and later in Indonesia and Timor. He was a compulsive teacher, mentor, collaborator, and encourager. Hargrave identified persons of promise, ability and goodwill and freely shared his knowledge and skills with no regard to hierarchy. He thus developed a cadre of Aboriginal health workers in the NT who could diagnose, treat, perform physiotherapy, operate, suture (including microsurgery), and dress wounds. He started the first formal training programs for Aboriginal health workers. Nurses were empowered to adopt high level skills and functioned as equals on the team. He learnt to fly, to facilitate his movement around the Territory. During a series of sabbaticals and with a WHO scholarship, Hargrave visited leprosy centres throughout South East Asia, studying and learning techniques and management. On his return to Darwin, with no other surgical training and in the face of administrative opposition, he established a reconstructive surgical program at the leprosarium from scratch. By 1982, leprosy was in marked decline in the Territory and the East Arm Leprosarium was closed. While continuing in Leprosy control, he was appointed as the inaugural NT Director of Aboriginal Health, and later started the incipient Communicable Disease Unit. Simultaneously, he was also appointed as a specialist hand surgeon to the Darwin Hospital and provided electro-neuro and myographic services to the NT.

In the late 1980s, he developed a locally supported, sustainable reconstructive surgical program in Timor and Flores. He again identified and mentored local clinicians of ability and promise, sought out and established working relationships, functional health services, collaborated with locally based organisations, and learnt local languages. His trips to and focus on Indonesia and Timor Leste grew in the 1990s and continued after his retirement from the NT Health Service in 1995. Surprising many, John built a beautiful house overlooking the Derwent, and after more than 40 years in the tropics, moved to Tasmania in the late 1990s, by flying down in his twin-engine plane. He continued trips to the north, introducing and mentoring other surgeons and clinicians. Hargrave died in Hobart in 2020, aged 89.

John Clark

  • Person
  • 1807-1853

John Clark (1807-1853) , the youngest son of William Clark (1769-1851), came with his father to Tasmania and was Keeper of the Bonded Store in Launceston, Coast Waiter and Searcher at George Town and Police Magistrate at Hobart, Launceston, George Town and later Bothwell
He returned to take over the management of Cluny in 1838. He married Jane Oswald Sinclair Eddie in 1839 but had no children. He lived at 'Mauriceton', near Kempton.

John Cotton

  • Person
  • 1832-1915

John Cotton (1832-1915) of "Earlham" Rheban, son of Frances and Anna Maria Cotton of "Kelvedon" married 1865 Mary Ann Wills (1827- 1915). Father of Edith Consuelio Blyth; Howard Gurney Cotton and Harold Tennyson Cotton

John Coverdale

  • Person
  • 1814-1896

Dr John Coverdale arrived at Hobart Town in July 1837 where he practiced for a time. During 1840 he was appointed district surgeon at Richmond and in 1844 he was transferred from the Medical Department to the Police Department. He was elected warden of Richmond in August 1861 and in 1863 he was appointed to the Board of Medical Examiners. In 1865 became superintendent of the Queen's Asylum for Orphans at New Town and in 1874 transferred to Port Arthur. He stayed here as civil commandant until the settlement was abandoned in 1877. The next year, 1878, he took charge of the Hospital for the Insane at the Cascades, near Hobart. In 1887, he was notified that he had to retire and was given an annuity of £150 for his exceptional service. In 1889 he left the Cascades and made his home at Ivadene, Moonah. At his death in 1896 Coverdale was the oldest medical practitioner in Tasmania, and the second oldest Justice of the Peace. For more information see:

John Demetius Morris

  • Person
  • 1902-1956

Sir John Demetrius Morris (1902-1956), judge and university chancellor, was born on Christmas Eve 1902 at Hawthorn, Melbourne, third child of James Demetrius Morris, a civil servant from New Zealand, and his Victorian-born wife Margaret Jane, née Smith. Educated at St Patrick's College, East Melbourne, and the University of Melbourne (B.A., 1924; LL.B., 1925; M.A., 1926), he was admitted to the Victorian Bar on 7 November 1927. At St Dominic's Catholic Church, East Camberwell, on 28 May 1930 he married Mary Louisa McDermott, a 29-year-old clerk. They moved to Hobart where he was admitted to the Tasmanian Bar on 24 October. He joined the firm of A. G. Ogilvie which became Ogilvie, McKenna & Morris in 1931. Within a few years the firm's major court work was being handled by Morris: Ogilvie chose to devote more time to his political career in the House of Assembly; McKenna was to do likewise when he was elected to the Senate in 1943. For more information see:

John E. C. Lord

  • Person
  • 1870 -1949

Colonel John E. C. Lord (1870 -1949) had a long and distinguished civil and military career, and served nearly 34 years as head of the Police Department. He was the son of Richard David Lord, and was born at Brighton, Tasmania, on May 8, 1870, of a pioneer family. He spent the early years of his life in the Midlands sheep country. He came to Hobart at the age of 15, and, entering the Public Service as a cadet, was posted to the Stores Department in July, 1886, as a clerk to the Commissioner of Police. Promotion to chief clerk and secretary to the commissioner followed. In 1908 Col. Lord was commissioned by the Government to report on the Furneaux Group of islands embracing the condition of the islands and the regulation of the half-caste reserve, with suggestions for future administration. The report became a parliamentary paper widely read and referred to. He was also commander of the Tasmanian 40th Battalion, known as the 'Fighting Fortieth'. Soldiers attached to it were trained at the Claremont military camp near Hobart before sailing for England and eventually the French-Belgian border, which they reached on 24 November 1916. for more information see Mercury Newspaper obituary 29/10/1949

John Earle

  • Person
  • 1865-1932

John Earle was a Tasmanian politician and trades union organizer. He was MHA for Waratah 1906-1909 and for Franklin 1909-1916, Attorney General and Premier 1909 and 1914-1916 and was Senator for Tasmania in the Commonwealth Parliament 1917-1922. John Earle (known as Jack) was born at Bridgewater, the son of C.S. Earle and Ann Theresa (McShane). He was apprenticed to a blacksmith in Hobart in 1882 and enrolled in classes in engineering and science, economics and socialism at the Mechanics Institute and became friendly with the City Librarian, A.J. Taylor. Later he became a trades union organizer and in 1901 chaired a meeting at Zeehan to form the Workers Political League (which became the Labor Party) and was elected its first president, demanding adult suffrage, an 8 hour day and free education. In October 1909 he led the first Tasmanian Labor Party Government but as a minority it lasted only a week. As Premier in 1914, a year of drought, he imported wheat to keep prices down. He married in 1914 Susanna Jane Blackmore, an ardent member of the Labor Party and a vegetarian and theosophist. They had no children. In 1932 John Earle died of cancer at Oyster Cove and was cremated in Melbourne. For more information see:

John Elliott

Professor John Elliott, the pioneer of teaching Classics at UTAS in the 1950's and founder of the UTAS Classics Museum

John Franklin

  • Person
  • 1786-1847

Sir John Franklin (1786-1847), rear admiral, Arctic explorer and lieutenant-governor, was born on 16 April 1786 at Spilsby, Lincolnshire, England, ninth of the twelve children of Willingham Franklin and his wife Hannah, née Weekes. Franklin served as Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen's Land from 1837 to 1843. He disappeared while on his last expedition, attempting to chart and navigate the Northwest Passage in the North American Arctic.
For more information see:

John Godlee

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2
  • Person

John Godlee had an exciting life as a mariner, spending time in north America during the Independence war and getting ship wrecked in French Canada. He came from a long line of Quaker mariners going back to Peter Godlee, 1645- 1719, from Southwald, Suffolk. John retired from the sea at the end of the American/French wars when sailors’ pay was halved, and got a job in Lewes with a respectable Quaker family, the Rickmans. He married Mary Rickman, his boss’s daughter.

John Grant

  • Person
  • d. 1825

John Grant (d. 1825) was the son of James and Margaret Grant of Nairn, Scotland and brother of James Grant (l786-1870). John arrived in V.D.L. in January 1823 as a merchant in partnership with Alexander B. Spark, who settled in Sydney. John acted as a merchant in Hobart in partnership with Bethune. James Grant sent from London introductions, consignments of harness, ale, printed cotton and other goods, advised his brother about the sale prices of hides, whale oil etc. in Liverpool and consulted him about other business possibilities, such as muskets to sell to the natives in New Zealand and other ideas. James and his wife Caroline (d. 1868) the daughter of John Neve of Tenterden, Kent, followed John and arrived in April 1824. James and his brother received grants of land in the Fingal Valley and James named his "Tullochgorum". However John became ill and took a trip to Sydney for his health and died
there on 11 December 1885, leaving most of his property to James.

John Griffin

  • Person

John Griffin, was a silk weaver of London. He was married to Mary, née Guillemard. Jane was one of his three daughters.

John Helder Wedge

  • Person
  • 1793-1872

John Helder Wedge (1793-1872), surveyor and explorer, was the second son of Charles Wedge of Shudy Camps, Cambridge, England, from whom he learned the rudiments of his profession. Losses during the post-war depression in agriculture induced Wedge and his brother Edward to migrate to Van Diemen's Land, where they arrived in 1824 in the Heroine. Before leaving London he had obtained an appointment in the colony as assistant surveyor. For more information see:

John Henry

  • Person
  • 1834–1912

John Henry (1834-1912), politician and merchant, was born on 1 September 1834 at Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland, third of the seven sons of John Henderson Henry, merchant, and his wife Christina, née Henderson. Educated at Lerwick and the Normal School, Edinburgh, John worked for an Edinburgh grocer before migrating to Melbourne with his father and brothers William, George and Charles in May 1854. In 1872 he settled at Don, Tasmania, after buying into the local merchant firm Cummings & Co., renamed, initially, Cummings, Henry & Co., and in 1880 when Edwin Cummings retired the River Don Trading Co. Ltd. About 1890 the company's headquarters were moved to West Devonport; Henry, as managing director, followed in 1893 and branches were subsequently established at Ulverstone, Zeehan, Burnie, Wynyard, Penguin and Sheffield. 1885 Director of the Mt Lyell Prospecting Association. Fro more information see:

John Henry O'Neil

  • Person
  • 1888-1971

John Henry (Jack) O'Neil (1888-1971) was known as the King of the Tasmanian Trades Union movement. He was secretary of the Hobart Trades Hall Council 1927-1968 (except for a break due to ill health 1958-62) and was a foundation member and Vice-President of the A.C.T.U. He first joined the Caters and Drivers' Union at 18 in 1907 and he was a member of its Wages Board in 1911. He was State Secretary of several unions, namely: Carters and Drivers 1916-1942, Storemen and Packers 1917-1951, Electricity 1917-1953, Gas Employees 1918-1951, Federated Confectioners 1944-1968 and also of the Meat Industries and the Miscellaneous Workers unions and he was secretary to the 8 Hour Day Committee from 1921. He was an Associate Commissioner of the Hydro-Electric Commission 1954-1970 and was a Justice of the Peace.

Jack O'Neil was born in Hobart on 30 August 1888 and attended Thomas Mitchell's St. Mary's Boys School, where he was a member of the 12 boy squad which did exhibitions of military drilling using Enfield muzzle loading carbine rifles (see Mercury 24.7.64). In 1905 he married Florence Mabel Stead and they had 4 children: John James, Daphne Edna (Mrs A. Hughes), Phyllis Jean and Maxwell.

John Leake

  • Person
  • 1780-1865

John Leake (1780-1865) was born in Kent, U.K., in 1780, son of Robert and Sarah Leake. The family were merchants connected with the firm of Travis and Leake of Hull and John worked as a shipping and cargo agent, trading in various commodities between Hamburg, Hull, and North Sea and Mediterranean ports. In Hull in 1805 he married Elizabeth the daughter of a Hull merchant, William Bell, and between 1806 and 1819 they had six sons and two daughters, but one daughter died in childhood. After the Napoleonic Wars Leake and his family settled in Hamburg, an important trading centre and home for many British merchants, where he acted as agent for a number of East Yorkshire and German business companies, especially in agricultural produce, linseed oil, whale oil, cotton, etc. In the 1820s and 1830s, however, business began to decline and many of the Anglo-German merchant community emigrated. Leake was encouraged by William Wilberforce and the British consul in Hamburg to emigrate to Van Diemen's Land and he and his family sailed from Leith in 1822 and arrived in Hobart in 1823. The family settled near Campbell Town in the Midlands where many other former merchants of Hamburg and Altona (Holstein) settled, including Lewis Gilles and the Oakden and Milliken families etc. Others, later settled in South Australia, including Osmond Gilles and two of Leake's sons, Robert and Edward. Leake still kept in touch with friends and relatives in Hamburg and Hull. Former business associates acted as Leake's agents for the sale of wool and other business, especially Leake's father-in-law William Bell of Hull and his son, William Bell jr. Leake's father-in-law left property in Hull, in the street called "Land of Green Ginger", in trust for the education of Leake's son John Travis Leake as a surgeon, the residue for Bell's daughter Elizabeth Leake and then for Elizabeth's other children (see L.l/D.277-99). John T. Leake studied medicine in Kiel and Dublin and later received an MD. from Kiel University. William Bell the younger offered to educate a younger son, Arthur, and teach him the merchant business, so he was sent back to Hull and spent some years there and also in Hamburg with his other uncle Edward John Bell. One of Edward Bell's daughters, Clara, came to live with the Leakes in 1857 and in 1869 married the youngest son, Charles. Bell's son Ernst joined Robert Leake at Glencoe for a few years and then settled at Mt. Drummond near Port Lincoln, South Australia. Another son, Edward Geiss settled in Queensland, and after their father's death the youngest sister, Helen, came out to join the Leake family at Campbell Town in 1878.

John Lee Archer

  • Person
  • 1791-1852

Civil Engineer and Colonial Architect in Van Diemen's Land, serving from 1827 to 1838 and responsible for all government buildings including those for penal and military purposes. Tasmanian Parliament House is one of his most notable projects. In October 1838 Archer accepted an appointment as police magistrate for the district of Horton. He filled this office, living at Stanley, until his death on 4 December 1852.
For more information see:

John Lillie

  • Person
  • 1806-1866

John Lillie (1806-1866), Presbyterian minister, was the fourth son of David Lillie, a Glasgow merchant. After some education at the University of Glasgow, he was licensed by the presbytery of that city. Soon afterwards he became tutor to the family of the Duke of Argyll at Ardencaple Castle, Dunbartonshire. The congregation of St Andrew's, Hobart Town, had asked the Church of Scotland to suggest a replacement for Archibald Macarthur. After some complication a committee nominated Lillie late in 1836. These moves coincided with colonial legislation to assist equally the Churches of England, Rome, and Scotland. On arrival at Hobart in September 1837, Lillie was recognized at once as Presbyterian leader by Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Franklin and by the church after brief delay. Not only did Lillie remain dominant during his frequent terms as moderator, but as an effective speaker and administrator he kept Tasmanian Presbyterianism united despite church disruption in Scotland (1843) and a querulous colonial society, a conspicuous success when contrasted with the confusion in contemporary New South Wales and in Tasmania in later years.
For more information see

John Lyndon Weidenhofer

  • Person
  • 1908-1969

John (Jack) Lyndon Weidenhofer (b. 4 October 1908) married Nancy Heather Brister (b. 5 October 1913) on 28 September 1940 in Hobart.
Jack served in New Guinea during World War 2. He worked for the Mercury newspaper as a photographer and was later appointed to a position in the Education Department in the Visual Aids Branch, where he made films for use in school as teaching resources (see AB713/1/6575).
He died in May 1969 and his wife, Nancy, in September 1982. More : Family records and photographs held at

John Lyne

  • Person
  • 1810–1900

Successful pastoralist and agriculturist he acquired the estate of Apslawn on the East coast of Tasmania. For many years he was a Councillor and Warden of the Municipality of Swansea and represented the Glamorgan electorate from 1881 till 1893 in the House of Assembly. He was married to Elizabeth, daughter of James Hume, of Templestowe and had five sons. For more information See :

John Manifold

  • Person
  • 1811-1877

John Manifold (1811-1877) son of William Manifold and Mary, née Barnes, of Courthouse Farm, Bromborough, Cheshire, England. Arrived in VDL on 8 July 1831. On 2 September 1856 John married Marion Thomson, at Cormiston, Van Diemen's Land. They had four daughters and five sons
For more information see:

John Martin

  • Person
  • 1812-1875

John Martin (8 September 1812 – 29 March 1875) was an Irish nationalist activist. He was born into a landed Presbyterian family, the son of Samuel and Jane (née Harshaw) Martin, in Newry, County Down. He received an Arts degree at Trinity College, Dublin in 1832 and proceeded to study medicine. He published the anti-British journal, "The Irish Felon", and established "The Felon Club". This led to a warrant for his arrest, and he turned himself in on 8 July 1848. Martin was sentenced on 18 August 1848 to 10 years transportation to Van Diemen's Land. For more information see : and

John Maule Hudspeth

  • Person
  • 1792-1837

After medical training he undertook work as ship's surgeon, finally with the Hudson Bay Company in 1815. In 1817 he started practice in Bowden-on-the Tweed, England, married Mary Lowrey (1793-1853) , an old school mate on 20 July 1819 and emigrated to V.D.L. in 1822 aboard the "Minerva". He had an appointment as Assistant Colonial Surgeon but his major interest was his farming property 'Bowsden" at Jericho.

John Meredith

  • Person
  • 1822-1909

Son of George and Mary Ann (Evans) Meredith born at Great Swanport, Tasmania on 31 October 1822 and he died at Swansea, Tasmania on 13 February 1909. He was elected to the House of Assembly for the first time on 8 June 1861 for Glamorgan, in November 1862 for Deloraine, in June 1865 for Ringwood and in October 1866 for Glamorgan again. His departure from the House of Assembly was March 1871, after nearly 10 years as a M.H.A. elected as the President of the Glamorgan Agricultural Association at its inception. He promoted the interests of the district of Greater Swanport respecting the erection of wharves for transport of agricultural products to market .

John Meredith

  • Person
  • 1800 -

John Meredith (1800- ) son of James and Sarah Meredith was George Meredith's young cousin who accompanied the family to Van Dieman's Land. He received land grants at Swanport and Jericho but returned to England in 1822, leaving his land in his cousin's possession

John Montagu

  • Person
  • 1797–1853

John Montagu (1797-1853), soldier and public servant, was born on 21 August 1797 probably in India, the second son of Edward Montagu (1755-1799), lieutenant-colonel in the Bengal army and kinsman of the Duke of Manchester, and his wife Barbara, née Fleetwood. He was sent to England and educated at Cheam in Surrey, Parson's Green in Knightsbridge, and by a private tutor. In February 1814 he joined the army as an ensign in the 52nd Regiment, fought at Waterloo, was promoted lieutenant in November 1815 and went on half-pay next February. In April 1819 he joined the 64th Regiment and returned to half-pay as a captain in November 1822. In April 1823 he married Jessy, daughter of Major-General Vaughan Worsley, and niece of (Sir) George Arthur, lieutenant-governor elect of Van Diemen's Land; in August he transferred to the 40th Regiment, companies of which were about to go to New South Wales. For more information see:

John Noel Douglas Harrison

  • Person
  • 1911-1980

John Noel Douglas Harrison spent 25 years in Malaya and China, surviving several years in Changi prison camp and a murder attempt by bandits, before settling in Tasmania in 1958.
Harrison was born in 1911. He left England at the age of 22 to take up an appointment as probationary Assistant Commissioner in the Malaya Police Service. In 1933 he was sent to China to study Cantonese for two years, and he was later to teach this language to fellow prisoners in Changi. He was a POW in Changi in 1942 and 1943 before being moved to Sime Road in May 1944 until his release in 1945. While imprisoned he used his talent for drawing, his sketches and paintings depicting many aspects of prison life. He was later to exhibit in the Royal Academy and the Paris Salon.

In 1948, at the beginning of the Malayan Emergency, Harrison was appointed Superintending Officer of Police at Tapah, one of the areas worst affected by Communist terrorism. Two months after his appointment as CPO, Negri Sembilan, in May 1949, he was ambushed at Durian Tipus and lost part of his right hand. For a year from April 1952 he was in charge of retraining all police officers and men, and then served two years as CPO, Perak. His final posting before retirement was to Alor Star, Kedah/Perlis in 1955 as Chief Police Officer. John Harrison died in October 1980.

John Orr

  • Person
  • 1885-1966

John Orr (1885 -1966) was born at Egremont, Cumberland, England, but his parents emigrated to Tasmania and he was educated at the High School, Launceston. He passed the Senior Public school examinations in 1902, at the age of 17, with credits in English, history, geography, Latin, Greek, French and arithmetic and passes in algebra and geometry, and was awarded a scholarship to the University of Tasmania. He matriculated in 1903 and passed the first examination for the BA. in Classics in Latin, French, Greek and English with credits. In 1904 he passed the second BA. exams, with credits, in Latin, ancient history and Greek. Halfway through his third year course, however, in June 1905, he was awarded a Rhodes scholarship for study at Oxford University (first awarded in 1904 and open to British subjects who had passed the first and second year exams for a bachelor degree and had resided in Tasmania at least 5 years). Under the terms of the award he had to go into residence at Oxford within six months and so could not complete his Tasmanian degree but went immediately to Oxford to enter Balliol College in the Michaelmas term, the beginning of the academic year. He read classics (graduating 1907) and Jurisprudence (graduating 1909) intending to become a lawyer, but after travelling in France and Switzerland for his health he changed to languages (Lic. es Lettres, Paris & B.Litt, Oxford, 1913). He was a lecturer at Manchester University from 1913 to 1915, served with the Intelligence Corps 1916-18 and in 1919 became Professor of French at Manchester University. From 1933 he was Professor of French at Edinburgh University. He married in 1910 Auguste Berthe Brisac (d. 1961) and had one son who was killed on active service with the R.A.F. in world War II. He died at Edinburgh, aged 81, on 10 August 1966.

John Reynolds

  • Person
  • 1899-1986

John Reynolds (1899-1986) was educated at Friends' School, Hobart, and Hobart Technical School, where he studied chemistry. He had a distinguished career as a metallurgist, starting with the E.Z. Co., and played a leading role in the establishment of the Australian aluminium industry with its beginnings at Bell Bay following the discovery of bauxite at Ouse in 1943. In 1939, at the beginning of the War, he was seconded to the Public Service as Commerce Officer, Department of Agriculture, Commerce & Industry Section, Hobart, to advise on the production of industrial charcoal for carbide manufacture. He was involved in making a contract for the sale of wolfram and tungsten to the British Government. He held a number of advisory and official posts in Tasmania during the next two decades, including responsibility for the implementation of the Grain Reserve Act 1950.
John Reynolds main interest, however, lay in journalism and historical research. He won a Commonwealth Literary Fund Award for his biography of Edmund (Toby) Barton. He wrote a life of William Lawrence Baillieu, Launceston -the history of an Australian City (1969); Men & Mines (1974) and articles for the Australian Dictionary of Biography and the Transactions of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association. His last book, Countries of the mind, a biography of Edmund Morris Miller, completed in collaboration with Margaret Giordano, was published in 1987 after his death.

John Roberts

  • Person
  • 1623?–1684

John Roberts was a Quaker humourist, born about 1623 at Siddington, near Cirencester. His parents were John, a yeoman, and Mary Roberts. Roberts joined the parliamentary forces and remained with them until 1645. He inherited the family property in Siddington, settled there and married in 1646 Lydia. They had six children together, including their youngest son, Daniel Robert (1658-1727).
John Roberts was a devout man. In 1655 he visited the Quaker Richard Farnworth, who led Roberts to embrace Quaker doctrine. As a Quaker Roberts suffered persecution and was imprisoned multiple times. He was imprisoned in Gloucester Castle in 1657 for defending fellow Quakers and he was twice imprisoned for not paying tithes.
Roberts died in February 1684.
For more information see,_John_(1623%3F-1684)_(DNB00)

John Rowland Skemp

  • Person
  • 1900-1967

John Rowland Skemp (1900-1967) was the son of Rowland Skemp and Florence (nee Kearney). He graduated BSc in engineering at the University of Tasmania in 1924. He became a relief teacher for the education department and also served for a year as assistant to a surveyor while completing his degree. In 1924 he went to England to visit relatives. On return he helped his father on their farm, trying to control the plague of rabbits and playing cricket in his spare time. In 1939 he took up a post at the Launceston Museum visiting schools as a lecturer in natural history. In his later years he published works on Tasmanian history, reminiscences and natural history. His last publication (published in 1970 after his death) was My Birds. For more information see

John Stephen Hampton

  • Person
  • c1806-1869

Between 1841 and 1845, Hampton was surgeon-superintendent on a series of convict ships to Van Diemen's Land: the Mexborough, the Constant and the Sir George Seymour. He was appointed Comptroller-General of Convicts in Van Diemen's Land in May 1846. He arrived at the colony on 27 October 1846. During his time in the office, allegations of inhumanity and corruption were frequently published in the press. For more information see :

John Stokell Dodds

  • Person
  • 1848-1914

J.S. Dodds, whose parents settled in Tasmania in 1853, was a judge and politician. He became attorney-general, post-master general, and chief-justice (1898). He represented Tasmania in conferences in other colonies and was also interested in education, art & literature. He served on the Council of the University of Tasmania and was Chancellor 1907-1914. He raised subscriptions for troops for the Boer War. He was awarded C.M.G. in 1889, K.C.M.G. in 1901. For more information see:

John Terry

  • Person
  • 1771-1844

In October 1818, John and Martha, their eight daughters, three sons and two millstones sailed from Sheerness, England on the Surrey, the only “free” settlers on a convict ship to Sydney, Australia. Possibly unhappy with the terms of the lease and the size of the allotment at Liverpool, south west of Sydney, Terry moved his family and business to Van Diemen’s Land. Arriving in Hobart Town on the Prince Leopold on 6 December 1819, the family proceeded to build the mill on 100 acres (40 ha) at Elizabeth Town (soon to be renamed New Norfolk), where the Derwent and Lachlan Rivers met. For more information see

John Travis Leake

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L1-H-100 &101
  • Person
  • 1810-1880

Second son of John Leake (1780-1865) and Elizabeth Bel l(1786-1852). Born in Yorkshire he emigrated with his family to Van Diemen's land in 1823. He studied medicine in Kiel and Dublinand later received an MD. from Kiel University. His art became a professional sideline and he painted many Tasmanian scenes.

John Venn

  • 1834–1923

John Venn, a fellow and later president of Caius College, Cambridge

John Waldie

  • Person
  • 1791-1872

John Waldie, senior, (1791-1872) came to Tasmania from Scotland about 1833 and settled first at Perth, Tasmania then at Oyster Cove. His son, John (1822-1902 ) farmed and worked timber at Oyster Cove. He married Delia Lucy Fergusson, eldest daughter of Joshua Fergusson of Tinderbox in 1846

John Walker

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2008/1-67-25
  • Person
  • 1726-1821

Father of George Washington Walker. John Walker was born in Newcastle in 1726. He died 22 March 1821 aged 96 years and is buried in the Cemetery of Pere-la-Chaise in France. He entered into business as a saddler and accroutrement maker. He married twice and had 22 children - George Washington was the youngest, born when John was 74 years old. His second wife was Elizabeth Ridley

John Walker

  • Person
  • 1799-1874

Walker arrived in Hobart Town on September 1822 aboard the "Heroine". By his own account he was 'penniless and unfriended'. Within a month he was appointed superintendent of the government flour-mill on the Hobart Town Rivulet. Next year he received a grant of 200 acres (81 ha) and in 1824 built a mill at Richmond. Thanks to convict labour he had five prosperous years, increased his capital to £2000 and received a maximum land grant of 2560 acres (1036 ha). Moving to Launceston in 1830, he built a mill at the foot of the Cataract Hill. Back in Hobart he bought the government flour-mill together with its attached residence in Barrack Street and opened a brewery. By adding a steam-engine he greatly increased his milling business and extended his activities to commerce, whaling, shipping and insurance. He became a local director of the Bank of Australasia and of the Bank of Van Diemen's Land. He also helped to form the Derwent Bank and as managing director had to act as its liquidator in 1850. He was also commissioned to wind up the Tasmanian interests of Lieutenant-Governor (Sir) George Arthur. As his assets increased Walker acquired the estates of Belmont and Shawfield on the River Ouse and Clarendon on the Derwent where he opened another flour-mill. For more information see:

John Watt Beattie

  • Person
  • 1859-1930

John Watt Beattie (1859-1930), photographer and antiquarian, was born on 15 August 1859 at Aberdeen, Scotland, son of John Beattie, master house-painter and photographer, and his wife Esther Imlay, née Gillivray. After a grammar-school education he migrated with his parents and brother in 1878, and struggled to clear a farm in the Derwent Valley, Tasmania. He soon turned to his life's work. From 1879 he made many photographic expeditions into the bush, becoming a full-time professional in 1882 in partnership with Anson Bros whom he bought out in 1891. Gifted with both physical zeal and craftsman skills, he probably did more than anyone to shape the accepted visual image of Tasmania. An admirer of William Piguenit, Beattie stressed the same wildly romantic aspects of the island's beauty. His work included framed prints, postcards, lantern-slides and albums, and was the basis for a popular and pleasing set of Tasmanian pictorial stamps (in print 1899-1912).
Many of Beattie's photographs of people and places were published in the Cyclopedia of Tasmania, (1st edn. 1900). He also prepared sets of lecture slides on the topography and history of Tasmania and gave many lectures himself. He was interested in the history and made an important collection of items relating to Port Arthur &convict days, which was sold to the Queen Victoria Museum, Launceston in 1927. Another collection was secured for the Tasmanian Museum Hobart after Beattie's death through William Walker, the City paying £250. Some of Beattie's lectures and photographic notes were placed with the Royal Society's manuscripts on loan by the Museum. Some other papers of J.W. Beattie were bequeathed by him to the Royal Society for safe-keeping. These consist of copies of historical manuscripts and some original manuscripts, press cuttings and notes.
For more information see:

John Watt Beattie

  • Person
  • 1859-1930

John Watt Beattie (1859-1930), photographer and antiquarian, was born on 15 August 1859 at Aberdeen, Scotland, son of John Beattie, master house-painter and photographer, and his wife Esther Imlay, née Gillivray. After a grammar-school education he migrated with his parents and brother in 1878, and struggled to clear a farm in the Derwent Valley, Tasmania. He soon turned to his life's work. From 1879 he made many photographic expeditions into the bush, becoming a full-time professional in 1882 in partnership with Anson Bros whom he bought out in 1891. Gifted with both physical zeal and craftsman skills, he probably did more than anyone to shape the accepted visual image of Tasmania. An admirer of William Piguenit, Beattie stressed the same wildly romantic aspects of the island's beauty. His work included framed prints, postcards, lantern-slides and albums, and was the basis for a popular and pleasing set of Tasmanian pictorial stamps (in print 1899-1912).
Many of Beattie's photographs of people and places were published in the Cyclopedia of Tasmania, (1st edn. 1900). He also prepared sets of lecture slides on the topography and history of Tasmania and gave many lectures himself. He was interested in the history and made an important collection of items relating to Port Arthur &convict days, which was sold to the Queen Victoria Museum, Launceston in 1927. Another collection was secured for the Tasmanian Museum Hobart after Beattie's death through William Walker, the City paying £250. Some of Beattie's lectures and photographic notes were placed with the Royal Society's manuscripts on loan by the Museum. Some other papers of J.W. Beattie were bequeathed by him to the Royal Society for safe-keeping. These consist of copies of historical manuscripts and some original manuscripts, press cuttings and notes.
For more information see:

John West

  • Person
  • 1809–1873

John West (1809-1873), Congregational minister, author and newspaper editor, was born on 17 January 1809 in England, the son of Rev. William West and his wife Ann, née Ball. He had the advantages of a good home and a literary education. In 1829 he was admitted to the Independent ministry at Thetford, Norfolk, became a home missionary at Great Wakering, Essex, and then had charge of chapels at Southam and Coleshill, Warwickshire. In 1838 he was accepted by the Colonial Missionary Society for service in Van Diemen's Land, sailed from London with his wife Narcissa Sarah, née Lee, and young family in the Emu, and arrived at Hobart Town in December. He soon moved to Launceston, where he served as a missionary among the surrounding settlers. In 1842 he accepted the pastorate of the new St John's Square Chapel at Launceston and made his home at Windmill Hill.
For more information see :

John Wilkinson

  • Person
  • 1806-1885

Born 1806 in Northampton, Northamptonshire, England, son of William Wilkinson and Ann (Norton) Wilkinson. Wilkinson arrived in Hobart Town on October 13, 1824 and married Sarah Ann Ware on the 14 March 1832, at Hobart Town. He established Wilkinson's Dispensing, Manufacturing and Pharmaceutical Chemists in 1831 at 90 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. This is thought to be the earliest officially recognised pharmacy in Hobart. Wilkinson’s arrival in Hobart Town predated the formation of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain in 1841 and so he was not registered in England. The business was very successful and when John Wilkinson died in 1885 he left two pharmacies and several other properties. His son and grandson were both chemists and the business remained in the Wilkinson family until 1940, when it was sold.
Wilkinson was granted land at O'Briens Bridge, (now Glenorchy) and called his farm Elwick - now the site of the Elwick Racecourse

John William Earnshaw

  • Person
  • 1900–1982

Earnshaw was a co-founder of the Book Collectors Society of Australia, and a lifelong supporter of the society. He was also very active in the Society of Australian Genealogists. for more information see:

John William Hadden

  • Person
  • 1824-1879

Dr John William Hadden was the son of Jane Baird Hadden (1800-1867) born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, the daughter of Robert and Janet Douglas Baird. She was sentenced to 7 years on 10 Sep 1840 for assault and robbery and transported to Australia in 1841. When free, she paid to have her children shipped to her. John Came from England with his four sister and brother in 1845 and settled in Tasmania. Dr John William Hadden, husband of Mary Elizabeth Hadden, was one of the first graduates of the Medical School at Melbourne University, although he did most of his studies at the University of Edinburgh Dr Hadden returned to Melbourne in the late 1850's

John Wilson

  • Person
  • 1842-1912

John Wilson (1842-1912), ship-wright, served an apprenticeship with Colin Walker, boat builder of Gardners Bay, who built the Huon Belle in 1866. Wilson established his own boat building yard at Martins Point where his first ship "Good Intent" was built in 1877. John Wilson and his sons, Walter and Sydney built many well known sailing ketches and schooners and some steam and oil engine powered vessels, including the ketch One and All for Andrewartha in 1878, Leilateah (McDougall's 1891), Birngana (1893), Lenna (1903 Risby's), Lottah, Stanley and the Alice (1904), Doris and Rooganah (100 ton 3 masted schooner) for Jones & Co. The last ship built by John Wilson was the ketch Lialeeta for T.H. Spaulding launched in 1913.
John Wilson and his wife, Dinah, had 4 sons and 3 daughters and lived at "Brightside", Cygnet. He was known as a wit and composed humorous verse, as did some younger members of the family.
For mor information see:

John Wood

John Wood was one of the first farmers at Sorell in Tasmania. He married Sally Nash and established "Woods Farm"

John Woodcock Graves


John Woodcock Graves (1795-1886), composer, was born on 9 February 1795 at Wigton, Cumberland, England, son of Joseph Graves, plumber, glazier and ironmonger, and his wife Ann, née Matthews. In 1834 Graves left for Van Diemen's Land in the Strathfieldsay with his wife and six children as assisted immigrants and some £10 in cash. He tried various occupations, was granted 640 acres (259 ha) on Bruny Island and in September 1835 applied for the post of keeper of the proposed lighthouse on South Bruny.
He is chiefly remembered for the song 'D'ye ken John Peel' which he wrote to a traditional Cumberland air. For more information see:

John, King of England

  • Person
  • 1166-1216

John (24 December 1166 – 19 October 1216), also known as John Lackland, was King of England from 1199 until his death in 1216. John lost the Duchy of Normandy and most of his other French lands to King Philip II of France, resulting in the collapse of the Angevin Empire and contributing to the subsequent growth in power of the French Capetian dynasty during the 13th century. The baronial revolt at the end of John's reign led to the sealing of Magna Carta, a document sometimes considered an early step in the evolution of the constitution of the United Kingdom. For more information see :

Jorgen Jorgenson

  • Person
  • 1780-1841

Jorgensen was sentenced to transportation for life. He arrived in Van Diemen's Land in April 1826. He received a ticket-of-leave in June 1827 and, after a short-lived convict-clerkship, was assigned to the Van Diemen's Land Co. and sent to explore parts of the north and north-west of the island
For more information see:

Joseph Benson Mather

  • Person
  • 1814-1890

Joseph Benson Mather (1814-1890) was the eldest son of Robert and Ann Mather who settled in Tasmania in 1822. He joined his father in his drapery and hosiery business in 1836 and later established his own business as a merchant tailor and importer in Liverpool Street, Hobart, taking his son, Joseph Francis, into partnership as J.B. Mather & Son in 1874. One of their contracts was to supply police uniforms. J.B. Mather also managed the East Coast Steam Navigation Co. in Hobart 1854-57. J.B.Mather was for many years Clerk to the Hobart Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. He spent most of the year 1840 in Sydney visiting and helping Sydney Friends on a visit of "concern" and on his return also travelled around
Tasmania visiting country Friends. In 1841 he obtained consent from Francis Cotton of Kelvedon, near Swansea, to "corresponding with his daughter with an intention to an union in marriage" and the following year he married Anna Maria Cotton. They had six children: Joseph Francis (1844-1925), Anna Maria (1846­-1900), Esther Ann (1849-1957) who married C.H. Robey, Maria Louisa (1851­ -1857), Emma Elizabeth (1853-1939) and Frances Josephine (1855-1856) but Joseph's wife and the youngest little daughter died in 1856. Joseph Mather was lonely after her death, as he recorded in his diary, but he cared devotedly for his children, reading to them every night, except when they went to stay with their Cotton grandparents at Kelvedon for country air, and nursing them when they were ill. He nursed little Louisa day and night in 1857 until she died in his arms.
For more information see

Joseph Cotton

  • Person
  • 1840-1923

Joseph Cotton, son of Francis Cotton. Married Isabella, daughter of Adam Jackson of Williamswood near Ross in 1875

Joseph Edward Risby

  • Person
  • 1826–1889

Hobart timber merchant, Joseph Risby (1826–1889) founded Risby Brothers Timber Merchants in 1844 and the company passed through the family until it closed in the early 1990s. It was one of Tasmania’s longest running family-owned businesses.
Born 21 Aug 1826 in 'York Plains' Clarence Tasmania. Son of Thomas Risby and Diana (Morrisby) Risby. Brother of Thomas Risby, William Henry Risby, Mary Ann Risby, Eliza Risby, Henry Edmund Risby and Lavinia Rosa Risby. Husband of Isabella Wilson — married 8 Sep 1853 in Hobart. Father of Henry Edward Risby, Thomas William Young Risby, Arthur Edmund Risby, Walter Sydney Risby, Florence Augusta Wilson Risby, Oscar Percival Risby, Charles Wallace Risby, Amy Josephine Risby and Louis John Wilson Risby. Died 30 Oct 1889 at Napoleon St Hobart. He was a Hobart Town alderman 1862-1867, & 1869-1874

Joseph Hone

  • 1784-1861

Joseph Hone held office of Master of the Supreme Court between the years 1824 and 1836 and again between 1840 and 1857. Hone, a barrister of Grays Inn, was appointed Master in Chancery for the Colony of Van Diemen's Land by Letters Patent dated 21 December 1823 at a salary of £400 per annum payable out of fees received. A despatch from Downing Street on 5 January 1824 indicated his duties as Master. He arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1824 with his family. In 1825 his salary was increased to £600. In 1826-1827 he was also acting as Attorney-General and there is a record of him advising upon the title to a distillery near Cascades. Between the years 1831 and 1836 he held a number of other offices: Coroner, Chairman of Quarter Sessions and Chairman of the Commission for the settlement of Claims to Grants. His position as Master was regularised pursuant to the Charter of Justice in 1831. In 1836 he resigned as Master to become Commissioner for Investigation of Titles and the office was in abeyance until 1840. In 1839, the year in which both his wife and daughter died, Hone was appointed a Commissioner of the Insolvent Court, but he vacated that office in 1840 upon being reappointed as Master. The Judges and the Attorney-General had been unanimous in their conviction that the office of Master should again be filled. Hone is reported as living in Macquarie Street opposite All Saints Church in 1846. He remained Master until 1857 when the office was abolished by the Act then known as the Abolition of the Master Act but now known as the Supreme Court Act 1857. The 'Hobart Town Advertiser' of Friday 4 December 1857 stated that the object was to carry out a reduction and because the office of Master in Chancery had been abolished in England. At this time Puisne Judge Horne was President of the Legislative Council and a note in the same issue of the 'Advertiser' reported: 'Mr. Mann read a note from the President indicating that he was detained in the Supreme Court but would come to the House as soon as his duties there ended.' Hone died at Hobart in 1861 at the age of 77. The family tombstone can still be seen in St. David's Park against the Harrington Street wall.
From For more information see

Joseph Lycett

  • Person
  • 1774–1828

Joseph Lycett (b.1774-1828), convict and artist, was born in Staffordshire, England. By profession a portrait and miniature painter, he was convicted of forgery at Salop Assizes on 10 August 1811 and sentenced to transportation for fourteen years. For more information see:

Joseph Lyons

  • Person
  • 1879–1939

Joseph Aloysius (Joe) Lyons (1879-1939), schoolteacher, premier and prime minister, was born on 15 September 1879 at Stanley, Tasmania, son of Irish-born parents Michael Henry Lyons and his wife Ellen, née Carroll. Lyons won three successive elections convincingly, a performance then unmatched by any other prime minister. His victories in 1931 and 1934 were certainly assisted by bitter divisions within the A.L.P., but he overcame formidable difficulties, including his own declining health and disillusionment within the electorate and the U.A.P., to defeat a rejuvenated Labor Party under John Curtin in 1937. For more information see :

Joseph Milligan

  • Person
  • 1807-1884

Surgeon, born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. Appointed as surgeon to the Van Diemen's Land Co.'s 1830. During his appointment as surgeon, and later surgeon-superintendent, he became interested in the natural history of the island, formed a close acquaintance with R. C. Gunn and collected specimens for W. J. Hooker. In December 1843 he was appointed superintendent and medical officer of the Aboriginals, a position which he occupied until 1855. Through his interest in natural history he became secretary of the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land in 1848-60, its members and activities increasing under his guidance. Milligan's thirty years in Tasmania were marked by immense industry. His official duties were carried out with conscientiousness and good sense. J. D. Hooker called him 'one of the most indefatigable and able of Tasmanian botanists' and gave his name to the native lily genus Milligania and a number of species of other plants. He was elected a fellow of the Linnean Society in 1850. As a geologist he carried out surveys in all parts of the colony, discovering coal, copper and gold as well as numerous fossils. But perhaps his most notable work was his study of Aboriginal languages. For more information see:

Joshua Fergusson

  • 1790-1867

Joshua Fergusson born 1790 in Ballymoyer, County Armagh, Ireland and died 16 Dec 1867 at Tinder Box Bay, Tasmania. He is credited with naming the bay after finding a tinderbox on the beach soon after he settled there in 1817. He was a merchant captain who arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1815 and made a number of trading voyages. He became the owner of the brig Jupiter and obtained substantial land grants around southern Tasmania. He died in 1867 at his farm at Tinderbox where he grew tobacco.

Josiah Powell

  • Person
  • 1844-1906

Mr Josiah Powell (1844-1906) well-known barrister and solicitor of Launceston died suddenly of a heart attack on the 27 August 1906.. He arrived in Tasmania with his family in 1854 from Bristol, U.K. and settled at Hadspen. He was educated at Church Grammer school and was later articled to the solicitor Mr R Byron Miller with whom he entered a partnership. He practiced for some time in Hobart but returned to Launceston and had a branch office in Beaconsfield. He married Margaret Annie Hepburn, eldest daughter of Robert Hepburn, Esq., of Bellbrook, Great Swanport on 26th October 1871. They had no children.

Joyce E. Eyre

  • Person
  • 1909-1950

Joyce Eileen Eyre (1909–1950), teacher and academic, was born on 4 April 1909 at Sandy Bay, Hobart, eldest child of English-born parents Matthew Henry Eyre, carpenter, and his wife Annie Elizabeth, née Metcalfe. Joyce was educated at primary schools in Hobart and at Launceston, the State High School, Launceston, and the University of Tasmania (B.A., 1932; M.A., 1940). After teaching at the State High School, Hobart, in 1929-32 she worked as a lecturer and school principal with the Seventh Day Adventist Church in New South Wales and New Zealand. Following extensive overseas travel in 1938, she returned to Hobart, completed her master's degree in Tasmanian history, on Sir John Franklin's dispute with John Montagu, and lectured in English and history at Hobart Teachers' College from 1940 to 1945.
For more information see:

Karl Rawdon von Stieglitz

  • Person
  • 1893–1967

Karl Rawdon von Stieglitz (1893-1967), pastoralist and antiquarian, was born on 19 August 1893 at Andora, a holding near Evandale, Tasmania, second son of four children of John Charles von Stieglitz, pastoralist and politician, and his second wife Lilian Brooke Vere, née Stead. The family was originally from Pomerania, Saxony, but had moved to County Armagh in Ireland, then to Van Diemen's Land in 1829. F. L. von Stieglitz was John's uncle. Karl was educated at home by tutors, because bouts of rheumatic fever prevented regular school attendance, and later in England. For more information see :

Keith Sydney Isles

  • Person
  • 1902-1977

Keith Sydney Isles (1902-1977), economist and university vice-chancellor, was born on 4 August 1902 at Bothwell, Tasmania, second son of Sydney Henry Isles, a labourer who became a farmer, and his wife Margaret Ellen, née Knight. Educated at Hobart High School and the University of Tasmania (B.Com., 1925). In August 1957 he succeeded Professor Torleiv Hytten as vice-chancellor of the University of Tasmania. A period of growth saw the introduction of faculties of medicine and agriculture, but was eventually dominated by the turmoil of the Sydney Sparkes Orr case. For more information see : and

Kemp & Co

  • Corporate body
  • 1823-1829

Established by Anthony Fenn Kemp (1773?-1868), soldier and merchant. Kemp was a foundation director and later president of the Van Diemen's Land Bank. Soon after his arrival in Hobart Town in 1816 he had established the firm of Kemp & Gatehouse, which was changed to Kemp & Co. about 1823 when Richard Barker was taken into partnership.

Results 401 to 500 of 873