Showing 873 results

Authority record

Edmund Alfred Elliott

  • Person
  • 1884 - 1968

Edmund Alfred Elliott, born 12 September 1884 in Hobart, was the son of Robert Elliott and Sophia Hazell. After a number of years clerical work, Edmund enrolled at Sydney University, graduating in 1918 as a medical practitioner. He married Doris Merchant in Brisbane and they returned to Tasmania where Edmund took over Dr Gibson's practice in Macquarie Street, Hobart. Edmund and Doris had five children, one of whom, David Macmillan Elliott wrote a history of Edmund Alfred Elliott and the Elliot family. Edmund had a keen interest in the natural sciences and was a founding member of the Tasmanian Field Naturalists Club in 1904. He died in 1968.

Edmund Leolin Piesse

  • Person
  • 1880-1947

Edmund Leolin Piesse (1880-1947), foreign policy analyst and lawyer, was born on 26 July 1880 at New Town, Hobart, only son of Frederick William Piesse, conveyancer, and his wife Ellen, née Johnson. His father became a successful businessman and politician, resigning in 1901 as a Tasmanian minister to take his seat in the Federal parliament. After leaving the Friends' High School, Piesse graduated in Science from the University of Tasmania in 1900. He abandoned subsequent studies in mathematics at King's College, Cambridge, when obliged to return home following his father's death in 1902, but graduated in law in 1905. He never lost interest in the natural sciences and in 1912-14 was honorary secretary of the local Royal Society. For mmore information see:

Edmund Morris Miller

  • Person
  • 1881-1964

Edmund Morris Miller (1881-1964) C.B.E., M.A., D.Litt. (Melb.) was a librarian in the Public Library of Victoria from 1900 until 1913 when he was appointed Lecturer in Mental and Moral Science in the University of Tasmania. He was made Assoc. Prof. in 1925 and Professor in 1928. From 1933 to 1945 he served as Vice-Chancellor and also was Honorary Librarian from 1919 until 1945.
For more information see

Edward Carr Shaw

  • Person
  • 1813-1885

Born in Dublin 1813 second son of Bernard Shaw. He arrived in VDL in 1830 settling in the Glamorgan District. He lived at Redbanks. He was appointed a commissioner of the peace in May, 1839, and a coroner in January, 1840; he was also for some years the warden of Glamorgan. Deceased was ever a consistent member of the Church of England, and held a seat in the synod of that body, representing the parish of Swansea from the first establishment of the diocese. Mr. Shaw was twice married, the first time to a daughter of the late Mr. James Fenton, and sister to the talented author of the "History of Tasmania." She died in 1856. He afterward married the daughter of Mr. Edward Cope. By his first wife Mr. Shaw had ten children, only four of whom, however, are surviving, three sons and one daughter, the eldest being Mr. Bernard Shaw, Secretary of Mines. By his second wife deceased had one daughter.
For more information see : and

Edward Casson Rowntree

  • Person
  • 1810-1893

Born in Thorne, Yorkshire, arrived at Hobart Town, Van Diemen’s Land, as a convict in the Manlius on 12 August 1830. He spent the rest of his life in Van Diemen’s Land, during which time he worked as a carpenter, builder and architect. He died at Sandy Bay on 8 November 1893. His best-known architectural work is the Hobart Town Savings Bank (now the Murray Street branch of the Savings Bank of Tasmania); he also designed the Congregational Church at Richmond.

Edward Curr

  • Person
  • 1798-1850

Edward Curr (1798-1850), company manager, was born on 1 July 1798 at Bellevue House, Sheffield, England, the third son of John Curr, a civil engineer who managed the estate and coal-mines of the Duke of Norfolk. Curr sailed with his wife Elizabeth (Micklethwait) in the Claudine and arrived in Hobart Town in February 1820. He was granted 1500 acres (607 ha) at Cross Marsh. In 1884 he published ' Account of the Colony of Van Diemen's Land, Principally Designed for the Use of Emigrants". In 1824 he was appointed was chief agent/manager of the Van Diemen's Land Company, establishing the company's base at Circular Head in September 1826. For more information see:

Edward David Dobbie

  • Person
  • 1857-1915

Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court of Tasmania, was born in Dunbar in 1857 and came to Tasmania with his parents Edward Dobbie senior and his wife Kathryn while very young. He was educated partly at state schools in Tasmania and partly (amongst other private schools) at the Hutchins School in Hobart. After leaving school he followed a number of commercial pursuits until at the age of 21 he began the study of law. He was articled to a Tasmanian Solicitor, Mr. Charles Ball who was the principle of the legal firm, Messrs. Gill and Ball. Dobbie was admitted as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of Tasmania at Hobart in July 1882. He married Alice McMillan; they had six children, four daughters and two sons.
On the 25th of March 1887 he was appointed Crown Solicitor and Clerk of the Peace in succession to Mr. R. P. Adams who had then been appointed judge of the Supreme Court. Although at thirty years of age he was relatively young to hold the important office of Crown Solicitor, it was not altogether unusual to find young men holding such appointments in Tasmania which had a comparatively large public service serving only a small population during the nineteenth century.
In January, 1895 he became Secretary to the Law Department relinquishing the office of Crown Solicitor, but remaining as Clerk of the Peace, Hobart and Registrar of Building Societies. He retained these 3 offices until January 1899 when he was appointed Recorder and Commissioner in Bankruptcy, Launceston as well as Commissioner of the Court of Requests. Finally he reached the peak of his non-judicial legal career when he was appointed Solicitor General on the 25th of April 1902. He would continue to hold this office until eventually he was appointed an acting judge and later a judge in 1913-14.
Dobbie's career both as Solicitor-General and later as judge was relatively distinguished. The situations which confronted him as the senior legal representative of the government were often parochial matters, sometimes with varied legal importance. Not all of his cases provided sufficient scope for the exercise of his real legal talent. He had to wait until the arrival of federation before legal matters of real constitutional importance to the new State would present themselves.
Perhaps a highlight of Dobbie's career as Solicitor-General was his visit to the United Kingdom in 1904. This came about as a result of an appeal by the Van Diemen's Land Company against a decision of the Supreme Court of Tasmania. The company had brought an action of trespass against the Marine Board of Table Cape, a semi-government authority. The Supreme Court of Tasmania had failed to uphold the action. The Van Diemen's Land Company eventually appealed to the Privy Council in England and Dobbie, as Solicitor-General, was sent to London to present the case on behalf of the Marine Board and the state government.
During this period he wrote frequently to his wife in Hobart and these letters provide an interesting account of his activities while in a city, which at that time still exercised great influence over the activities of the embryo Australian States. He was in London for most of 1904 and quite clearly enjoyed the visit. He was a lover of the Arts and frequently visited the many attractions which were available in such an immense city. He was also vitally interested in the politics of the time, chiefly centring around the arguments of protection in trade advanced by Joseph Chamberlain of the Conservative Unionist Party and those of Free Trade supported by the English Liberal Party. Dobbie as might be expected, was a supporter of Free Trade and in fact, any other course would have been seriously damaging to the Australian States. Dobbie eventually lost his case before the Privy Council and of course the decision of the Tasmanian Supreme Court was reversed.
On 1st September 1913 Dobbie was appointed an acting puisne judge of the Supreme Court of Tasmania and this acting appointment was confirmed on 1st January 1914. Thus he began a very brief career as a judge which was to end untimely with his death on 23rd August 1915. In fact his period as a judge of the Supreme Court still remains the shortest career on record in Tasmania. Dobbie probably never reached the pinnacle of his legal career. His judgements, although generally sound would have improved with the depth of experience which he would have acquired as a judge during the course of time. Furthermore his work as a parliamentary draftsman during the early years of his legal career undoubtedly benefited him, because he was to show time and time again that he was a thorough man concerned with detail as much as the broad principles.

Edward Lord

  • Person
  • 1781–1859

Edward Lord (1781-1859), officer of marines, commandant, pastoralist and merchant, was born on 15 June 1781 in Pembroke, Wales, the third son of Joseph Lord and his wife Corbetta, daughter of Lieutenant-General John Owen, brother of Sir William Owen, fourth baronet, of Orielton. Edward was gazetted a second lieutenant of marines on 12 September 1798 and stationed at Portsmouth.
In 1803 he joined the expedition of Lieutenant-Colonel David Collins to Port Phillip, and was in the first contingent which sailed thence to establish a settlement on the Derwent, Van Diemen's Land, in February 1804. In the same year he built the first private house in Hobart Town. For more information see:

Edward Milliagan

  • Person
  • 1922-2020

Edward Hyslop Milligan (27 March 1922 – 26 July 2020) also known as Ted Milligan, was a Quaker historian and the former librarian at Friends House, London. Educated at Ackworth School and the University of Reading, he was the Librarian and Archivist of Meeting for Sufferings of Britain Yearly Meeting, responsible for the Library at Friends House, London for 25 years from 1957 to 1985. See :

Edward Nicholas Coventry Braddon

  • Person
  • 1829–1904

Sir Edward Nicholas Coventry Braddon (1829-1904), civil servant and politician, was born on 11 June 1829 at St Kew, Cornwall, England, son of Henry Braddon, solicitor, and his wife Fanny, née White. Braddon set sail in March 1878 for Tasmania at the age of 49 and settled on a small, run-down property at Leith on the north-west coast of Tasmania. He worked extremely hard to make it a worthwhile enterprise. Few people then lived in that part of the colony, and Braddon undoubtedly stood out as a man of experience and proven ability. He was soon asked to join community committees, and accepted nomination for the seat of West Devon, an election he won in July 1879 — as he won all that he contested thereafter. In 1894-1899 he was Premier of Tasmania. For more information see :

Edward Octavius Cotton

  • Person
  • 1838-1913

Born Kelvedon, Great Swanport, April 23, 1838. Son of Francis and Anna Maria Cotton. Husband of Helen Elizabeth Grueber. Died November 12, 1913 aged 75. Buried at Kelvedon.

Edward Samuel Pickard Bedford

  • Person
  • 1809-1876

Edward Samuel Pickard Bedford (1809-1876), surgeon, politician and public servant, was born in London, the younger son of William Bedford and Martha, née Pickett. He arrived at Hobart Town on 31 January 1823 with his parents. While his elder brother, William, was destined for the church, Edward was trained in medicine. He assisted in the Colonial Hospital and became subordinate assistant surgeon of the Medical Department in 1826 and assistant colonial surgeon in 1829. In 1831 he went to England where he studied medicine in London (M.R.C.S., 1833; F.R.C.S., 1854). He returned to Hobart in 1833 with the appointment of assistant colonial surgeon first class. He commenced private practice, became one of the most successful of Hobart's doctors and was medical officer for most of the life assurance companies. He was appointed medical officer for the city in 1852, a commissioner in lunacy in 1856 and a justice of the peace. His duties as surgeon to the Commissariat Department included attendance on the sick in the Colonial Hospital, various penitentiaries, the Orphan Schools, convict road-gangs and the constabulary. From 1841 he served on the Medical Examiners' Board and made the recruitment of doctors a special interest. Realizing that the sick poor of Hobart loathed the Colonial Hospital with its convict discipline and associations, he started St Mary's in Campbell Street as a subscription hospital; in 1847 the foundation stone was laid for the unpretentious, but charming, building in Davey Street, Hobart, which was used as public offices after St Mary's closed. By 1856 Bedford had planned in detail a medical training school at St Mary's with Thomas Arnold as its classical and mathematical lecturer and himself teaching surgery. The scheme was unsuccessful, for the Royal College of Surgeons refused its recognition, and Hobart was left with few scholars when prosperity declined after 1856. Some young men did, however, make their first steps in a medical career with Bedford before going to British universities, but none of them returned to Tasmania. He was prominent in the Royal Society and showed a diversity of interest in his three papers: 'Observations upon the condition of young marsupial animals' (1842); 'On the epidemics of 1852-3' (1854) and 'On the origin of nervous force' (1863).

Edward Swarbreck Hall

  • 1805-1881

Edward Swarbreck Hall (1805-1881) was a medical practitioner who arrived in Hobart in 1832 and held various government appointments as district surgeon in Brighton, Bothwell,
Westbury and midland towns. In 1853 he was appointed house surgeon to the Hobart Hospital from which he resigned in 1855 but held several other official appointments.
He campaigned for various health reforms. He was also a member of the Royal Society of Tasmania to which he gave addresses and presented copies of statistics he had prepared.
For more information see :

Edward Verrell

  • P2018/5
  • Person
  • 1890-1929

Edward Verrell was a photographer in Hobart, taking many photographs in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, often printing scenic photographs as postcards. Verrell operated the Royal Studio at 95a Liverpool Street Hobart (1890-1908) and 115 Liverpool Street, Hobart (1909-1929).

Edward William Stephens

  • Person
  • 1843-1924

Born in England, and arrived in South Australia at the age of six. Early in life he became associated with the Methodist Church in South Australia, and was later chosen for church and school work in connection with the Aboriginal reserve at Cape Barren Island, a position which he retained for 7½ years.

Edwin Meredith

  • Person
  • 1827-1907

Married Jane Caroline Chalmers and went to New Zealand in 1851 They had 13 children.
I. Edwin (1853-1885) married Ada Stewart Johnston

  1. Mary (1855- )
  2. Richard Reiby (1857 -1896) married Alice Theodora Lane
  3. Clarence Kay (1858-1916) married Rosina Maria Kay
  4. Rosina (1860- )
  5. John Montague (1862- ) married Henrietta Letitia Hardy Johnstone
  6. Clara (1865-1890 ) married Robert Heaton Rhodes
  7. Elsie Emmeline (1867-1918) married George Harold Smith
  8. Edith Dry (1870- ) married James John Mackersey
  9. Jane Chalmers (1872- ) married James Brown Moodie
  10. Gwendoline Meredyth (1876- ) married Thomas Henry Dawson
    I2 .Kathleen Meredyth (1879- ) married Alan Archbald Cameron
  11. Melita Meredyth (1879~ ) marriedHerbert Sladden

Edwin R. Ransome

  • 1823 -1910

Ransome was the convenor of the Contenental Committee of London General Meeting and regarded as one of the founders of the Friends School Hobart although he never visited Tasmania. He provided help and encouragement by means of massive personal correspondence with Friends in Hobart concerning the affairs of the School until his death in 1910.
He was the key figure in helping Australian Friends to develop a measure of self-confidence and to move towards an Australian Quakerism. He was regarded by Australian Friends as a confidant and as a court of appeal. Whenever an Australian Friend had a problem, Ransome seemed to be the one whose judgment was sought and advice heeded.

Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1916-1984

Electrolytic Zinc or the Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia (frequently abbreviated to EZ ) was the company that operated a Zinc refinery on the banks of the Derwent River in Risdon in Hobart in Tasmania between 1916 and 1984. For more information see or for further reading: A Alexander, The Zinc Works, Hobart, 1992.

Elizabeth Fry

  • Person
  • 1780-1845

Elizabeth Fry (née Gurney; 21 May 1780 – 12 October 1845), sometimes referred to as Betsy Fry, was an English prison reformer, social reformer and, as a Quaker, a Christian philanthropist. She has been called the "angel of prisons". Fry was a major driving force behind new legislation to make the treatment of prisoners more humane, and she was supported in her efforts by Queen Victoria. For more information see :

Elizabeth Helen Grueber

  • Person
  • 1847-1931

Daughter of Elizabeth Grueber (d.1891) and Stephen Henry Grueber (1818- 1904) of Brackley, Spring Bay, later Rheban, Sand Spits, and then of his son's home Ormley, Fingal, where he was Warden of Fingal Municipality, Helen Grueber was born in 1847 and married E.O. Cotton on 30 November 1881

Ellen Eliza Tranmer

  • Person
  • 1847–1911

Ellie Tranmar, nee Cowgill, was the wife of Rev. Herbert Tennant Tranmar, (c1845–1925) Anglican clergyman, incumbent of St.John's, Buckland c1885-1889 and headmaster of Burnie High School c 1895.

Emma Augusta Gatehouse

  • Person
  • 1835-1910

Emma Augusta Gatehouse (neeDodds nee Norman) was born on May 5 1835, in Sorell, Tasmania and was the wife of George Henry Gatehouse (1827-1864) they had three children, Florence Mary Ann Gatehouse (1860-1940), Emma Constance Gatehouse (1862-1935) and George Henry Gatehouse (1864-1947)

Eric Dudley Babington Horton

  • Person
  • 1875-1953

In 1895 Horton became the organiser of a choir which won distinction in the Tasmanian Exhibition. He was founder of the Hobart Amateur Orchestral Society and later secretary. The society was to become the Hobart Symphony Orchestra. He won the Tasmanian Public School exhibition in 1837, entered the Public Service in 1897 and was chief clerk at the Education Department until his retirement in 1940.

Eric Jeffrey

  • Person
  • 1890-1934

Eric Jeffrey (1890-1934), MA (Tas), MB. ChM. (Sydney) became a freelance journalist when, shortly after qualifying as a medical practitioner, illness left him crippled and unable to walk. He graduated BA. in 1910 and MA in 1912 from the University of Tasmania.

Eric Rowland Guiler

  • Person
  • 1922-2008

Dr Guiler was born in Ireland and moved to Tasmania in 1947 to work at the Zoology Department, University of Tasmania. He became an early researcher into the Tasmanian Devil, and a leading researcher on the Thylacine. Guiler was a Lecturer 1948-1951, Senior Lecturer 1952-1973 and then Reader 1974-1983 in Zoology at the University of Tasmania. He published over 100 scientific papers including 6 on the Tasmanian Tiger. He conducted several expeditions into remote areas of Tasmania. For more information see :

Ernest Clark

  • Person
  • 1864-1951

British civil servant and Governor, Sir Ernest Clark was during his career, Permanent Secretary to the Treasury, Northern Ireland, 1921-25; Director Underground Railway System of London; Member of the Economic Mission to Australia, 1928-29; Governor of Tasmania, 1933-1945. Clark visited Australia in 1928-29 as a member of the British economic mission invited by the Australian government to examine the economy. As an author of the subsequent report he deeply impressed the premier of Tasmania, J. A. Lyons. It may well have been due to the prompting of Lyons, as prime minister, in 1933, that Clark was offered the governorship of Tasmania, an office which lack of funds had kept vacant for the previous three years. Fro more information see:

Ernest Douglas Pinkard

  • Person
  • 1894-1981

Born Leith, Tasmania, Australia, 27 September 1894. Died Launceston, Tasmania, Australia, 16 August 1981, aged 86 years. Son of Alfred Pinkard and Harriet Shackcloth. Husband of Frances Grace Hooker. Corporal 40th Infantry Battalion. The 40th Battalion was the only all-Tasmanian battalion of World War One, formed as part of the 3rd Division, an Australian infantry division that served on the Western Front. The 40th Battalion was established in Tasmania and trained at Claremont before embarking for Europe in July 1916. It served in France and Belgium from 1916 to 1918.

Erskine Clarence Watchorn

  • Person
  • 1902-1969

Barrister of Hobart in the firm of Watchorn & Clarke. Eldest son of Arthur Denison Watchorn; born in Hobart, lawyer; took his law degree at the University of Tasmania LL.B. (Tas.), studied at Middle Temple and called to the Bar there in 1912; entered the firm of Finlay and Watchorn; original member of Sandy Bay Rowing Club 1906; President of Australian Amateur Rowing Council 1925 to 1935; Secretary of Tasmanian Rowing Association 1914; member of Board of Management of the Hutchins School 1929 to 1937;

Esther A. Mather

  • Person
  • 1849–1939

Daughter of Joseph B Mather, a Quaker who owned a drapers and haberdashery store on Liverpool Street in Hobart. She married Charles H Robey in Hobart in 1884

Esther Ann Mather

  • Person

Daughter of Joseph Benson Mather. Married Charles H. Robey

Fanny Maria Meredith

  • Person
  • 1862-1955

Third daughter of John Meredith and Maria Hammond, granddaughter of George and Mary Ann Meredith. Went to England to live with live with her Aunt Clara Dry. Died on 21 April 1955, at age ~93, in Teignmouth Hospital, Devon, UK

Fanny Meredith

  • Person
  • 1831-1910

Married Major Francis Seymour Gaynor on 15 September 1863 in St. John’s Cathedral, Hong Kong (China). Second marriage to Major Notts. Two children - Francis Henry (1864-1899) married Sophie Stern and Clara Rosina Meredith (1867-1874)

Francis Seymour Gaynor was a Major in the 99th Regiment, the son of Bryan Gaynor of Killiney House, County Dublin and his wife Anna Maria Sherwood.

Fletcher Donaldson Cruickshank

  • Person
  • 1908 - 1990

Fletcher Cruickshank worked in the physics department at the University of Tasmania from 1930-1973, rising through the ranks from senior demonstrator to reader. He helped in the Optical Munitions Panel during World War II. After the war he continued in optical research and collaborated with Waterworth Brothers. Born Hobart, 3 July 1908. Died October 1990. Educated University of Tasmania (BSc 1930, DSc 1946). Senior demonstrator in physics, University of Tasmania 1930, assistant lecturer 1930-35, lecturer 1936-47, senior lecturer 1948, associate professor 1949-61, reader 1962-73.

Frances Ruby Fuller

  • Person
  • 1887-1982

Frances Ruby Evans was born in Smithtown, New South Wales. She married William Edwin Fuller on 27 July 1910 in Hobart Tasmania. She died 27 June 1982 in Melbourne Victoria. Mother of Francis Margaret (Fuller) Morse and Mary Agnes (Fuller) Low

Francis Beaufort

  • Person
  • 1744-1857

Sir Francis Beaufort KCB FRS FRGS FRAS MRIA (27 May 1774 – 17 December 1857) was an Irish hydrographer, rear admiral of the Royal Navy, and creator of the Beaufort cipher and the Beaufort scale. His most significant accomplishments were in nautical charting. For eight years, he directed the Arctic Council during its search for the explorer, Sir John Franklin, who was lost during his last polar voyage to search for the legendary Northwest Passage. For more information see:

Francis Cotton

  • Person
  • 1801-1883

Francis Cotton (1801-1883), Quaker and settler, was born on 6 October 1801 in London, where he had some early education before attending Ackworth School. After an apprenticeship to a builder, he set up his own business. When 19 he was disowned for marrying outside the Society of Friends, Anna Maria Tilney, a former Friend from Kelvedon, Essex. Rheumatic fever, London fogs and visions of brighter prospects for a growing family induced him to sail in 1828 for New South Wales in the Mary with an old friend, Dr George Story. The voyage was prolonged by the loss of a mast, and when the ship put in to Hobart Town the party decided to remain. For more information see

Francis Hartwell Henslowe

  • Person
  • 1811-1878

Francis Hartwell Henslowe (1811-1878) was a civil servant and composer, born In London, who married (1836) Anne Roche Allwood (1810-1859), and emigrated to Sydney In 1839, arriving Hobart, 1841. He was appointed private secretary to Sir John Franklin 1841 and Police Magistrate at
Campbell Town In 1843. For more information see

Francis Russell Nixon

  • Person
  • 1803-1879

Francis Russell Nixon (1803–79), first Anglican bishop of Tasmania, was born in Kent, the son of an Anglican clergyman. A graduate from Oxford, he served at Canterbury Cathedral before being appointed in 1842 as first bishop of Tasmania. He arrived in Hobart the following year, and held the bishopric until 1863. Nixon held 'high' views, making him ready to assert his church's claims against other denominations and against civil power; likewise he upheld episcopal authority within the church. Such attitudes aroused much tension. In the 1840s the most dramatic concerned Nixon's relationship with Lt-Governor JE Eardley-Wilmot whose recall (1846) he helped effect. From 1850 local Anglicans sundered on the issue of baptism's capacity to nullify original sin, Nixon affirming that against 'Low Church' opposition. The man seems to have lacked both missionary commitment and spiritual force. He said bitter things of Tasmania and its residents.

The record had its positives. Nixon denounced the social effect of convict transportation. He fostered church schools, notably Hutchins and Launceston Grammar. Despite early misgivings, in 1857 he established a Synod that eased the Church's managerial problems, and prepared for the end of state aid. If no missionary, Nixon yet travelled throughout his diocese, the Bass Strait islands included. His artistic talent found expression in his home Runnymede, in drawings, and in photographic work, most notably of Aborigines at Oyster Cove. With all the contests around him, the wonder might be that his tenure lasted so long. Retirement passed in Italy, with a third marriage and further fatherhood.

Francis Smith

  • 1819-1909

Sir Francis Villeneuve Smith , politician and chief justice, was born on 13 February 1819 at Lindfield, Sussex, England, son of Francis Smith, merchant, of London, and his wife Marie Josephine, née Villeneuve, of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, West Indies. He acknowledged his mother's descent from the French admiral Villeneuve by adopting that name in 1884. The Smiths came to Van Diemen's Land in 1826 and settled at Campania near Richmond. Francis returned to London and became a student at the Middle Temple in 1838 and at University College, University of London (B.A., 1840). Smith was appointed to the Supreme Court bench in 1860. He helped to found the Tasmanian Club next year and was its first president. He was knighted in 1862, and on 5 February 1870 became the first Australian to hold office as a chief justice after having been a premier. For more information see:

Francis William Newman

  • Person
  • 1796? - 1859

Francis Newman was Superintendent of the Hobart Botanic Gardens 1845-1859. He was the first properly qualified person to hold the post. Newman moved from Sydney to Hobart to take up the post, where he stayed until his death on 23 August 1859. During his term as Superintendent he introduced many new plant species and visitor numbers increased rapidly. He established a system of plant exchanges with other Australian gardens and gave much attention to the breeding of wheats suitable for the Tasmanian climate. From

Frank Allison

  • Person
  • 1858-1936

Frank Allison (1858-1936) was the second son of Henry Allison and Margaret (Gunn), born 29 June 1858. He was employed in the Post Office as a supervising clerk but in 1911, owing to a bad leg, he moved to Evandale, where he had a small piece of property, and became local post master at a reduced salary. He married in 1882 Emma Hume, a fellow member of the church choir of St. Paul's Church, Launceston and they had several children including Jack (A.J.), George, Percival, Rachel, Leila, Maggie.

Frank C Green

  • Person
  • 1890-1974

Frank C. Green collaborated with Albert J. Gillies in drafting a history of the early development of hydro-electricity in Tasmania, pioneered by Gillies' father, James Hynde Gillies (1861-1942). J.H. Gillies, a metallurgist, developed an electrolytic process for extracting zinc from complex ores and in 1908 he started the Complex Ores Co. in Melbourne.
He proposed to establish works in Tasmania, using hydro-~ectric power from the waters of the Great Lake and the Shannon River. The hydro scheme was suggested by Harold Bisdee. a Midlands land owner, and Alexander McAulay, Professor of Mathematics at the University of Tasmania. The project was authorised in 1909 by the Complex Ores Act, which also allocated a site at Electrona, North West Bay for the refining works. A subsidiary of the Complex Ores Co., the Hydro-Electric Power and Metallurgical Co. was established and on 17 December 1910, at an informal ceremony, Mrs. McAulay turned the first sod for the water power development on land owned by Professor McAulay. A severe winter and other problems delayed work however.
In 1914 the Hydro-Electric undertaking was sold to the Government. In 1916 the Government authorised a rival firm, Amalgamated Zinc, to establish a zinc works at Risdon and agreed to supply hydro-electricity for it. Gillies retained a Carbide Electro Products project but this did not start producing until 1921 and in 1924 was taken over by the Hydro-Electricity Department.
The draft history was based on original records of the Complex Ores Co. and the Hydro-Electric Power and Metallurgy Co. as well as Gillies' private papers, and includes some extracts, but the original papers were burnt after A.J. Gillies' death, by his widow.

Fred Koolhof

University Photographer c1964-1884

Frederic Wood Jones

  • Person
  • 1879-1954

Frederic Wood Jones (1879-1954), anatomist, naturalist and anthropologist, was born on 23 January 1879 at Hackney, London, only son and youngest of three children of Charles Henry Jones, builder, slate merchant and architect, and his wife Lucy, née Allin. The family moved to Enfield where he attended local schools and showed enthusiasm for natural history. In 1897 he entered the London Hospital Medical College which in 1900 became part of the University of London where he graduated (B.Sc., 1903; M.B., B.S., 1904; D.Sc., 1910). In 1904 he became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons; he was made a fellow in 1930.
He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1925. Wood Jones also became very interested in the Aboriginals both as an anthropologist and as a humanitarian. He was a prime mover in 1926 in founding the Anthropological Society of South Australia. He liked and admired the Aboriginals and was appalled by the conditions under which the detribalized so often had to exist and by public indifference to their plight. He did what he could with his pen to arouse public awareness of the problem in Adelaide and later supported their cause even more vigorously in Melbourne.
For more information see :

Frederick Holdship Cox

  • Person
  • 1821-1906

Frederick Holdship Cox (1821-1906), Anglican clergyman, was born on 20 April 1821, the son of Rev. Frederick Cox, of Walton, Buckinghamshire, England. He was educated at Merchant Taylors' School, and won the Bell scholarship at Pembroke College, Cambridge (B.A., 1843; M.A., 1874). He was ordained deacon in 1844 and priest in 1845. He was recruited for service in Tasmania and arrived in February 1846. His first task was to create a new church at Buckland. After this he was Warden of Christ College, Tasmania. He returned to England to be the Curate at Wantage. While there he was nominated to succeed Bishop Colenso of Natal. In 1868 he became the Incumbent of St David's Cathedral, Hobart and in 1872, Dean. In February 1874 he resigned and returned to England. He was Vicar of Tilney All Saints from 1874 to 1877; Rector of Fen Ditton from 1877 to 1883; Vicar of Elm from 1883 to 1896; and Rural Dean of Wisbech from 1886 to 1896.
He died in Tunbridge Wells on 7 August 1906
For more information see:

Frederick Mackie

  • Person
  • 1812-1893

Naturalist, School teacher, Nurseryman, Artist, Draughtsman, Farmer, Teacher. Born 3 February 1812 in Norwich, Norfolk, England, UK, died 18 June 1893 in Mount Barker, South Australia. Frederick Mackie toured the Australian colonies in 1852-1855, keeping detailed diaries. He returned to South Australia in November 1855 and after marrying Rachel Ann May they moved to Hobart Town Tasmania in 1856 on board the Wellington and briefly (1856-1861) opened a co-educational school. He eventually returned to South Australia and remained there until his death.

Frederick Maitland Innes

  • Family
  • 1816-1882

Frederick Maitland Innes (1816-1882), journalist, lay preacher, farmer and politician, was born on 11 August 1816 at Edinburgh, son of Francis Innes and his wife Prudence, née Edgerley. Educated at Heriot's, Edinburgh, and Kelso Grammar School, he worked for his uncle, manager of estates for his relation, the Duke of Roxburgh. In 1836 Innes sailed in the Derwent and arrived in Hobart Town in 1837. He joined the Hobart Town Courier and was prominent in reviving the Mechanics' Institute. In 1838 he married Sarah Elizabeth, youngest child of Humphrey Grey, a prosperous free settler who had migrated from Ireland in 1829. He is known as: an anti-transportationist; a free trade politician; a journalist; a Member of Lower House (Tasmania); a Member of Upper House (Tasmania); a newspaper editor; a premier (Tasmania); a Presbyterian lay leader.
For more information see

Frederick Mortimer Young

  • Person
  • c1860-1927

Frederick Mortimer Young (c1860-1927) graduated at Cambridge University U.K. in 1884 and settled in Hobart in 1891 for his health. He assisted the newly founded (1890) University of Tasmania by drafting statutes etc. and editing the University Calendar and he served on the University Council 1919-21 and 1923-27. He also served on the committee of the Hobart Technical School 1893-5 and on the joint Tasmanian Government Education Department and University Engineering Board of Management. He was on the local committee for the Hobart meeting of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science 1921 and read a paper to the geographical section on "projections for world maps".

Frederick Watson

  • 1878-1945

James Frederick William Watson was born on 27 June 1878 in Sydney, Australia. He was educated at Sydney Grammar School and graduated from medical school at the University of Sydney in 1903.
Although Watson began his working life as a doctor, he was soon drawn to the field of archives and library management. Over time, he became a firm advocate of the development and use of government archives, both at the state and national level.
In 1910, in recognition of his knowledge of Australiana and his private collection of Aboriginal artefacts, Watson was appointed as a Trustee of the Public Library of New South Wales. He was a prominent and active member of the Trustees, and in 1911 served on the subcommittee that investigated the Library's internal administration.
After the retirement of Principal Librarian F M Bladen in January 1912, Watson took leave of absence as Trustee, and was appointed Honorary Acting Principal Librarian. He acted in this position until a permanent replacement was appointed six months later.
Watson is best remembered for his contribution to the publication of the Historical Records of Australia series. The Parliamentary Library Committee appointed him editor of the series in 1912 and, over a period of 13 years, he almost single-handedly produced 33 volumes of transcripts of significant documents in Australian history. These volumes constitute one of the principal collections of primary sources published last century for the study of colonial Australian history, covering the period 1786 to 1848. Watson resigned from the editorship of Historical Records of Australia in 1925 and no further volumes were produced for another 70 years.
In 1927 Watson and his family moved to Canberra. During that year he published A Brief History of Canberra and in 1929 he served for a short time on the Federal Capital Commission.
Watson's other historical works include:
• History of Sydney Hospital (1911)
• The Beginnings of Government in Australia (1913)
• A Brief Analysis of Public Opinion in Australia During the Past Six Years (1918)
• Constitutional Reform (1932)
• Lieutenant James Cook (1933)
• Financial History of Australia (1937)
Watson died on 22 January 1945 and was survived by his wife and three daughters.

Frederick William Mackie

  • Person
  • 1812-1893

Frederick William Mackie (1812-1893), Quaker, son of William Aram and Sarah Mackie, accompanied Robert Lindsey (1801-1863) on a "mission of concern" for the Society of Friends (Quakers) to the Australasian colonies. They left England in July 1852 in the barque "Wellington", arrived in Hobart, Van Diemen's Land in November 1852 and later travelled to New Zealand in 1853, New South Wales (1853), V.D.L. again (1853-4), Victoria (1854), South Australia (1854), N.S.W. and Victoria again (1854), a brief third visit to V.D.L., the Victorian goldfields (1854-5) and West Australia (1855), finishing their journey in South Africa. Mackie kept a diary of his travels, illustrated by little pen or pencil sketches, in small notebooks still held by the May family, descendants of the family of Mackie's wife. The diaries (except for the South African portion),with most of the sketches, were published in 1973 as Traveller under concern, transcribed and edited by Mary Nicholls for the History Department of the University of Tasmania. After the mission journey was completed in 1855 Mackie did not return to England but went to South Australia to marry, in May 1856, Rachel Ann May, daughter of Joseph and Hannah May of Mount Barker, South Australia. For a few years they ran a Quaker school in Hobart, but returned to South Australia in 1861.

Friedrich Ernst Ludwig Fischer

  • Person
  • 1782-1854

Friedrich Ernst Ludwig Fischer (20 February 1782, Halberstadt – 17 June 1854) was a Russian botanist, born in Germany. He was director of the St Petersburg botanical garden from 1823 to 1850. In 1804 he obtained his medical doctorate from the University of Halle, afterwards working as director of Count Razumoffsky's botanical garden in Gorenki (near Moscow). In 1808 he produced a catalogue of plants of the garden. In 1823 he was appointed director of the imperial botanical garden in St. Petersburg by Alexander I. Here, he was involved with establishing a herbarium and library, as well as the planning of numerous scientific expeditions into the interior of Russia. During his final years, he served as a medical councillor for the Ministry of the Interior. In 1815, he was elected a corresponding member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. In 1841, his status was changed to that of foreign member. From:

Friends' School

  • Corporate body
  • 1887 - to present

The Friends' School, Hobart is an independent co-educational Quaker day and boarding school located in North Hobart, a suburb of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
Founded in 1887 by Quakers, the school currently caters for approximately 1330 students from Pre-Kindergarten to Year 12, including 47 boarders from Years 7 to 12. It is the largest Quaker school in the world. For more information see,_Hobart

George Andrew Gatenby

  • Person
  • 1846-1870

George Andrew Gatenby (1846- 1870) was the grandson of Andrew Gatenby (1771-1848) of Barton Mill and son of William Gatenby (1809-1855) and Elizabeth (Towart) . In 1825 the Gatenbys erected a substantial flour-mill, using millstones they had brought with them to the colony, and cut a canal and banked a reservoir to supply the mill with water from the Isis River. This mill served the surrounding district for fifty years.

George Arthur

  • Person
  • 1784-1854

Sir George Arthur, soldier and colonial administrator, was born on 21 June 1784, at Plymouth, England, the fourth and youngest son of John Arthur of Duck's Lane and his wife Catherine, née Cornish. Early in the eighteenth century the Arthurs, formerly a Cornish family, had moved to Plymouth. For more information see:

George Burder

  • Person
  • 1752-1832

Burder was born in London. In his early twenties he was an engraver, but in 1776 he began preaching, and was minister of the Independent church at Lancaster from 1778 to 1783. Subsequently he held charges at Coventry (1784–1803) and at Fetter Lane, London (1803–1832). He was one of the founders of the British and Foreign Bible Society, the Religious Tract Society, and the London Missionary Society, and was secretary to the last-named for several years. As editor of the Evangelical Magazine and author of Village Sermons (translated into several European languages), he commanded a wide influence. He died on the 29 May 1832 and the next year A Life by Henry Forster Burder was published

George Cartland

  • Person
  • 1912-2008

Sir George Cartland was the deputy governor of Uganda between 1961and 1962 and was heavily involved with the development of educational institutions within Africa. After retiring from his post in the Ugandan Government, he took up senior university roles in the UK and Australia including registrar of the University of Birmingham and vice-chancellor of the University of Tasmania. In 1968 he moved to Tasmania to take up the post of Vice-Chancellor of the University of Tasmania. He stayed in the role for 10 years and was awarded an honourary Doctor of Laws for his services to the University of Tasmania. His services were in demand by the Tasmanian government where he was chair of the South-West National Park Advisory Committee, undertook a review of library and archives legislation in 1977 and a thorough review of Tasmanian government administration between 1979 and 1981. For more information see:

George Clark

  • Person

George Clark was Government Printer at Hobart Town Van Diemen’s Land from around 1810 to 1815. He printed the first two newspapers in Van Diemen’s Land, as well as the earliest surviving book printed in the colony. Clark was one of Hobart’s very earliest convicts. For more information see:

George Cotton

  • Person
  • 1829-1916

Son of Francis Cotton and Anna Maria Cotton. Husband of Margaret Connell and father of Augustine Cotton; George Fordyce Story Cotton; Emily Elizabeth Cotton; Fanny Cotton; Charles Edward Cotton; Margaret Cotton; Agnes Cotton; Female Cotton and Clement Connell Cotton.
Brother of Henry Cotton; Francis Cotton; Anna Maria Mather; Thomas Cotton; Mary May; Suzanne Cotton; John Cotton; Frances Cotton; James Backhouse Cotton; Tilney Cotton; Edward Octavius Cotton; Joseph Cotton and Rachael Salmon.
Appointed Superintendent of Police for the Glamorgan municipality 1864-1870
For more information see :
Voices from the Orphan School: Margaret Connell & St Columba Falls by Dianne Snowden
Tasmanian Ancestry, V35 (2) Sept 2015 p.77

George Dixon

  • Person
  • c1800 -

George Dixon also known as George Dixson Cockfield, watercolourist and landowner, was born in Durham, England, probably in about 1800. In 1821 he came to Van Diemen’s Land with his brother, Robert, aboard the Westmoreland . For two years he worked as overseer on the property of Edward Lord, chief magistrate of Hobart Town. He wrote lengthy letters home describing the homestead, the topography and local customs (Mitchell Library [ML]). After receiving land grants from Governor Macquarie, the brothers settled at Green Valley on the Lower Clyde. Robert later sold out to George and joined the New South Wales Surveyor-General’s Department in 1826. Since Robert must have had some professional training for this position, it seems likely that George had some early instruction in draughtsmanship as well, but nothing further is known about his life. The National Library holds George Dixon’s watercolour, Green Valley. A West View. George Dixons Farm Van Diemen’s Land in 1827 , alternatively titled Green Valley Homestead, Van Diemen’s Land .

George Douglas Marshall

  • Person
  • 1891-1964

Born 8 April 1891 in Warwick Queensland, son of David Marshall and Helen Pillans Jackson. Married Beatrice Terry (1891-1973) on the 7 March 1916. They had one child Margaret Read Marshall (1919-2009)

George Fordyce Story

  • Person
  • 1800-1885

Dr Story made his home with the Cotton family who had settled at Kelvedon near Swansea. He looked after the health of the large family and the farm servants but his main position was assistant district surgeon at the Waterloo Point (Swansea) convict station. His scientific knowledge was helpful in farm and sheep development, analysing patent scab cures etc. Francis Cotton and his wife Anna Maria (Tilney) formerly of Kelvedon, Essex, U.K. were members of the Society of Friends (Quakers)and Dr Story also became a Quaker and made some missionary visits on behalf of the Friends to South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales. He was a keen botanist and naturalist and corresponded with and collected specimens for Dr. von Mueller of Melbourne Botanical Gardens. He also kept regular meteorological records for the Royal Society of Tasmania. He served as electoral officer for Glamorgan, was on the Glamorgan School Board and helped to found a Library in Swansea in 1862.
Dr George Fordyce Story (sometimes spelt Storey) {1800-1885), a medical practitioner, was born in Shoreditch, Middlesex [London] but was apprenticed to a doctor in Aberdeen, a George French M.D., also professor of chemistry, while he studied at Marischal College, Aberdeen, where he graduated M.A. in 1821. He then went to Edinburgh University to study for the doctorate in medicine which was conferred on him in 1824. Dr. Story spent three months at the Moorfields Opthalmic Institution, London, and then practised in London for three years. In 1828 he accompanied his friend Francis Cotton to Australia, travelling as surgeon on the "Mary". In April 1829 he was appointed assistant district surgeon at the Waterloo Point (Swansea) convict station until 1844 when the office was abolished. He also attended most of the East Coast settlers and to supplement his income he was also government store keeper at the Waterloo Point depot until 1834. In October 1844, through the interest of the Lieutenant Governor he was appointed secretary of the Royal Society of Tasmania and Superintendent of the Society's Botanical Gardens, at £200 p.a. until September 1845 when the Government reduced the grant to the Society and in November 1845 Dr Story resigned and F.W. Newman of Sydney was appointed at £80 p.a. In December 1845 he was appointed assistant surgeon to the Probation Party at Rocky Hills but in May 1848 this appointment also terminated. Dr Story then petitioned the Government for financial assistance, explaining that on his appointment in 1829 the scattered nature of the district made it impossible for him to supplement his small income as district surgeon by private practice. The district was inhabited by a hostile tribe of aborigines, making travelling on his duties dangerous, especially as there were no roads, only foot tracks. He also, therefore, took charge of the commissariat stores until 1834. In 1841 he resigned as district surgeon but it was impossible to replace him so he continued until November 1841 when Dr F. E. Teush was appointed. However under new regulations for probation most of the district duties were carried out by Dr Story, for 7 months without pay, and then as no other officer was appointed he continued as district surgeon until 1844 when the office was abolished. Dr Story made his home with the Cotton family who had settled at Kelvedon near Swansea and was known to the younger members of the family as the "little doctor", being of small stature. He looked after the health of the large family and the farm servants and his scientific knowledge was helpful in farm and sheep development, analysing patent scab cures etc. Francis Cotton {1801-1883) of London and his wife Anna Maria (Tilney) formerly of Kelvedon, Essex, U.K. were members of the Society of Friends (Quakers)and Dr Story also became a Quaker and made some missionary visits on behalf of the Friends to South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales. He was a keen botanist and naturalist and corresponded with and collected specimens for Dr. von Mueller of Melbourne Botanical Gardens. He also kept regular meteorological records for the Royal Society of Tasmania. He served as electoral officer for Glamorgan, was on the Glamorgan School Board and helped to found a Library in Swansea in 1862. He went blind in his old age. Dr. Story's papers include medical case notes and accounts, student notes and exercises, botanical papers including some correspondence with Dr. von Mueller, copies of electoral returns etc. Some of his old medical study notes were later reused as waste paper for drying botanical specimens. Many of his books show signs of having been scorched, probably by a fire at Kelvedon which started when Dr Story was smoking hams. Some letters have had the signature cut out, including part of the letter on the other side. A collection of autographs of East Coast residents was found with Dr Parker's papers (P.1) but the appropriate pieces have not been found.
For more information see :

George Henry Gatehouse

  • Person
  • 1826-1864

Farmer of Nonsuch, Wattle Hill, Sorell. Husband of Emma Augusta Newman (1835-1881) son of Silus Gatehouse (1790-1855) and Harriet Hansford (1793-1838)

George Llewellyn Meredith

  • Person
  • 1855-1937

Second don of John Meredith and Maria Hammond. Grandson of George and Mary Ann Meredith. Married Alicia Louisa MacLean on 24 July 1886 in St. John’s Church, Darlinghurst, Sydney. They had two son's- Gwynydd Purves Wynne-Aubrey Meredith (1887-1975) and Ewen Harcourt Wynne-Aubrey MEeredith (1892-1968)

George Marshall

  • Person
  • 1791-1881

George Marshall (1791-1881), originally of Ruthven, near Dundee, Scotland, arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1821, and with his family settled near Sorell. One of his grandsons, George Douglas Marshall, married Beatrice Terry, grandaughter of Ralph Terry (1815-1892) of Lachlan Mills, New Norfolk

George Martin

  • Person
  • 1778-1842

George Martin (1778 – 1842) was born in England. He married Mary Brett in 1817 when he was 39 and she was 22. By 1835 Mary had given birth to eleven children, three of whom did not survive past infancy. In 1836 he was captain of the 105 ton schooner John Pirie the smallest of the ships in the First Fleet of South Australia that carried colonists and supplies to the Colony of South Australia as well as settlements at Launceston, Hobart Town and Sydney. For more information see:

George Meredith

  • Person
  • 1777 -1856

George Meredith (1777-1856), settler, was born on 13 February 1777 near Birmingham, England, the fourth son of John Meredith and his wife Sally, née Turner; his father was a prominent barrister and solicitor and descended from the ancient Amerydeth family of Devon and Wales. In 1796 Meredith was commissioned second lieutenant in the marines and later served in the West Indies, at the blockade of Ferrol in Spain and on the Mediterranean Station. At Alexandria in 1803 he made a daring ascent of Pompey's Pillar, a granite column 180 feet (55 m) high, to fasten the Union Jack in place of a French cap-of-liberty placed there by Napoleon's forces. In 1805 when recruiting in Berkshire he met and married Sarah, the daughter of H. W. Hicks. Next year he retired on half-pay and commenced farming at Newbury; later the family move to Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, and farmed there until 1819 when the post-war rural depression stimulated his interest in emigration. He then had two boys and three girls, the eldest being 13. For more information see :

George Meredith Jnr

  • Person
  • 1806-1836

George, eldest son on George Meredith (Snr). on emigrating to Van Diemens Land received a land grant next to his father's at Swanport and also worked for his father in the whale oil business and with the stock, he later settled in South Australia where he was killed by natives in 1836.

George Murdoch

  • Person

George Murdoch was admitted a barrister and solicitor on 3 November 1894 and set up practice in Hobart in the Stone Buildings. Like his partner, Oscar Jones, he seems to have had connections with the Broadmarsh district.

George Musgrave Parker

  • Person
  • 1885-1964

Dr G.Musgrave Parker (1885-1965) qualified in medicine (M.B. B.Ch.) at Cambridge, U.K., in 1913, and in 1914 he was appointed a medical officer of health in Swansea. From 1915 until 1918 he served with the Australian forces in Egypt and France. On return he served as medical officer for the Kentish Municipality (Sheffield, Railton) 1919-1921; Swansea 1921-1926 and Clarence, 1926-1947, and then joined the staff of the Repatriation Hospital, Hobart, until he retired in 1955. He acted as president of branches of the RSL at Kentish, Swansea and Lindisfarne. He devoted most of his spare time, however, to a study of the history of the East Coast and hoped to write a book on it, but this was never finished.

George Newton Levy

  • Person
  • 1855-1932

Mr. Levy was a builder and contractor and prominent figure in the business and public life of Devonport and district. Two of the best-known buildings he erected are the present E.S. and A. Bank at Devonport (built for the old Bank of Van Diemen's Landin 1891) and the Devonport Town Hall in 1899.For a number of years he was a member of the old Devonport Town Board, subsequently being elected a member of the South Ward in the Devonport Municipal Council at its inception in1907, upon which he retained his seat for nine years, and served as Warden in 1909. Shortly after the adoption of an elective Marine Board for Mersey in 1906, and upon the resignation of the late Warden Chas. A. Littler, Mr. Levy was elected to the vacancy, and served for about 18 months, when he resigned upon undertaking a contract for the Board. He was a prominent Oddfellow for the greater part of his life, and filled at various times all the offices of that institution. A keen follower of bowls, he was known on most of the greens in the State.

George Rouse

  • Person
  • 1800-1873

George Rouse (1800-1873) was the Van Diemen’s Land Company’s storekeeper, a pioneer farmer and Burnie’s first justice of the peace and unpaid police magistrate. He was Emu Bay’s first ‘mover and shaker’ and was influential in the development of better road and port facilities for the pioneer farmers. For more information see

George Taylor

  • Person
  • 1758-1828

George Taylor (1758-1828), farmer, was born at Balvaird, near Abernethy, Scotland, and in March 1791 married Mary Low of the same parish. With their eight children they occupied Balvaird Farm, leased by his family from the earl of Mansfield since the seventeenth century. In 1822 Taylor emigrated to Van Diemen's Land with most of his family, arriving in the Princess Charlotte at Hobart Town in January 1823. He brought with him the usual letter of recommendation from the Colonial Office and capital of £890, and received an 800-acre (324 ha) land grant on the Macquarie River, which he named Valleyfield. Three of his sons, Robert (1791-1861), David (1796-1860) and George (1800-1826) each brought a letter of recommendation and capital of £700, and each was granted 700 acres (283 ha) on the Macquarie south of Valleyfield.
In July 1824 the family successfully defended their home against a gang of seven bushrangers led by James Crawford, and including Matthew Brady and McCabe. The Taylors' defence was so vigorous that the bushrangers were forced to withdraw leaving behind their stores and ammunition. Crawford and another of the gang were captured and later executed in Launceston. Writing to Taylor later in 1824 Lieutenant-Governor Arthur highly commended the family's spirited defence of their home and held it as an example to other settlers.
For more information see:

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

  • Person
  • 1907-1991

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson (1907-1991), university history lecturer and sportsman, was born on 5 September 1907 at Kumara on the west coast of New Zealand’s South Island, eldest son of New Zealand-born parents George Wilson, dredge master, and his wife Edith Alice, née Jamieson. George attended local Greymouth schools before being admitted to Canterbury University College (later the University of Canterbury), Christchurch, in 1925. He studied arts and some science subjects (BA, 1928), qualified as a teacher, and did postgraduate work in history (MA Hons, 1930).

Wilson began teaching at Greymouth Main School in 1929. The following year he became assistant master at St Andrew’s College, Christchurch. Selected first among three years of graduates for a postgraduate travelling scholarship, he took up residence at St John’s College, Cambridge, in 1931 (BA Hons, 1933). He travelled extensively during vacations and, on his return to New Zealand in 1933, wrote several articles for the Grey River Argus about the political situation in Ireland, Germany before Hitler’s rise to power, and post-revolution Spain.

Back in the classroom, Wilson taught science at Shirley Intermediate School, Christchurch (1934-35), and was assistant master at Wairarapa High School, Masterton (1935-36). In 1936 he was appointed lecturer in history at Canterbury University College. In connection with the New Zealand centenary celebrations, in 1938-39 he gave a series of radio talks on the history of Canterbury and produced a four-hundred-page history, publication of which was prevented by the outbreak of World War II. Wilson married Marjorie Nance Wood in Christchurch in 1939. From 1942 to 1944 he served as a meteorologist in the Royal New Zealand Air Force.

With the object of expanding his work in Pacific and Asian studies, in 1945 Wilson took up the post of lecturer in history at the University of Tasmania. His enthusiasm for Asian history was conveyed to his students in lively classes which opened up new ideas and put forward points of view quite different from established notions of the time. He dealt with the largest continent in four regions: Western Asia, with its major contribution to the religions of the world; North Asia, with its projection of Russian civilisation; India, which owed nothing to other civilisations; and the Far East, which, with China as its hub, acted as a civilising influence on Japan and the mainland all the way south to Australia. Wilson stressed the proximity of Australia to India’s four hundred million people and China’s five hundred million, and emphasised that these nations had been continuous civilisations for several thousands of years. Among his many students, Stephen Fitzgerald—later Gough Whitlam’s advisor on China and Australia’s first ambassador to the People’s Republic of China—stands out. In the preface to his book, Is Australia an Asian Country? (1997), Fitzgerald wrote that his intellectual interest began with Wilson.

A research fellowship at the Australian National University, Canberra, in 1949-50 enabled Wilson to visit India and to assemble a considerable body of information about political developments there. His application for study leave from the University of Tasmania in 1952 and 1953 to write up the results of his research was denied, greatly undermining his will to publish. Wilson did not produce any significant academic publications during his long career, which was a great pity for one who wrote so well. He implied that, for him, teaching had always come first: in an address to graduating students in 1974, the year he retired, he criticised academics who valued research over teaching and condemned the system that nurtured them.

Wilson was vitally interested in his students, in the standing of his university, and in the State’s education system. These interests were demonstrated by his being a pillar of the staff association; becoming the respected master of Hytten Hall, the university’s first residential college; by his determined opposition to the university administration’s position in the notorious and divisive (Sydney Sparkes) Orr case; and by his leading role in the Defence of Government Schools (DOGS) organisation. As president of DOGS in 1974, he explained that he was not against private schools, he was just opposed to spending money on them.

One of the strongest threads in Wilson’s life was rugby union, which he embraced for its character-building capacity. He had played in three New Zealand provincial sides and in college teams, and on moving to Tasmania he was instrumental in establishing the game there. He played for the State team during 1947-49, captaining it twice, and afterwards acted as State coach and selector. He continued to play rugby for the University of Tasmania and to coach schoolboy teams during the 1950s. Gardening was another strong interest.

Wilson was a distinctive figure. Short and nuggety—as befitted a rugby hooker—he had a mane of hair which became white as he aged, an ‘Einstein-type’ moustache (Milford 2001) on a wrinkled face, and a deep voice. That composition made him, in retirement, a very popular marriage celebrant.

Predeceased by his wife (d. 1972), Wilson spent the last few years of his life with a colleague from his earliest days at the university, Lin Weidenhofer. Survived by his two sons and two daughters, he died on 3 June 1991 in Hobart and was cremated. A portrait of him by the Tasmanian artist Max Angus hangs at the University of Tasmania.

George Thomas William Blamey Boyes

  • 1787-1853

George Thomas William Blamey Boyes (1787-1853), public servant and diarist, was born probably at Stubbington, Hampshire, England, the son of George Thomas Boyes of Winchester. After education by various private tutors, in 1809 he took his first public post in the Commissariat Department of the army. From 1810 to 1815 he served under Wellington in the Peninsular war.
In 1818 Boyes married Mary Ediss. In 1823 the Treasury appointed him deputy assistant commissary general in New South Wales. For more information see :

Results 201 to 300 of 873