Showing 873 results

Authority record

Benjamin Bower Le Tall

  • Person
  • 1858-1906

Born Woodhouse, York 1858 died Hobart, Tasmania 1906. He was from of a well known South Yorkshire Quaker family and was son of a surgeon of the same name (d 1883). He was a field botanist, master at Bootham School, York, and also at the Friends’ School in Hobart, Tasmania.
He married Janet Drummond Wilson, of Fern Grove, Neerim, Victoria on December 6 1901, and they lived at Bootham Cottage , 55 Mount Stuart Road, Hobart.
After leaving Friends’ School, Le Tall offered tuition for university examinations

Benjamin Lane

  • Person
  • -1828

Captain Benjamin Lane of Great Yarmouth, U.K., was captain of the brig 'Harriot'. In 1806 the 'Harriot' was captured by the French near Calais and Captain Lane taken prisoner. Later he returned to Yarmouth but died at sea in February 1828 while on a voyage to Valparaiso in Chile.

Bernard Smith

  • Person
  • 1916-2011

Australian art historian, art critic and academic, considered one of the most eminent art historians of the 20th century. His book Place, Taste and Tradition: a study of Australian art since 1788 is a key text in Australian art history. Smith sold much of his art collection to fund one of the first art prizes for artists of Aboriginal background.

Bill Bush

  • Person
  • 1945-

Bill FitzHenry

  • Person
  • 1903–1957

William Ernest Fitz Henry (or FitzHenry) (1903–1957), generally known as Bill Fitz Henry, was an Australian journalist with The Bulletin. He was an active supporter of the Book Collectors Society of Australia, founded in 1944. For more information see:

Birchall's Bookshop, Launceston

  • Corporate body
  • 1844 -2017

Birchalls Pty Ltd is the oldest bookshop in Tasmania. Samuel Tegg established a bookshop in Hobart Town in 1833, then opened his Brisbane Street outlet in Launceston in 1844. Blake, Huxtable and Duthie were the next owners. In 1863 the Hobart firm of J Walch and Sons bought Duthie out and opened a northern branch.

Andrew W Birchall (1831–93) was appointed manager and became a partner in 1867. The firm traded as Walch Bros and Birchall until he acquired the shop in 1893. As was customary in family businesses, he was succeeded by his son who registered Birchalls as a proprietary company in 1921. Stanley V Tilley (1898–1985) joined Birchalls in 1928. The Tilley family bought the business and property in 1969. SV Tilley passed on his knowledge of the trade to his descendants, who now run the 160-year-old store and other retail outlets throughout Tasmania. FROM

Bishopric of Calcutta

  • 1814 to present

The Diocese of Calcutta, Church of North India was established in 1813 as part of the Church of England. It was led by the Bishop of Calcutta, the first being Thomas Fanshawe Middleton (28 January 1769 – 8 July 1822). He became the first Bishop of Calcutta in 1814 and was was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society on the basis of being "a Gentleman well known to the literary world as the author of several classical works, and conversant with various departments of science" in the same year

Bolton Stafford Bird

  • Person
  • 1840-1924

Bolton Stafford Bird (1840-1924) was elected a member of the Tasmanian House of Assembly for Franklin in 1887, and served as Treasurer under P.O. Fysh until 1892, also acting as Postmaster General and Minister for Education. He represented Tasmania at the Federal Council of 1889 and the Federal Conventions of 1890 and 1891. From 1892 to 1894 he was Leader of the Opposition and Speaker from 1894-1897. He was again Treasurer 1899-1903. From 1909 until he retired in 1923 he was a member of the Legislative Council.

Stafford Bird was born at Hazlerigg, Northumberland, England, son of a schoolmaster Thomas Bird and his wife Ann (Stafford). His parents emigrated to Clunes, Victoria, in 1852. In 1865 Bird was admitted to the Wesleyan ministry, but changed to the Congregational Church in 1867 and was minister at Ballarat and Avoca, Victoria, until 1874 when he went to the Hobart Congregational Church, Davey Street. After three years he resigned through ill health and bought a farm, “Waterloo” and planted an apple orchard and was active in local affairs. He lost the farm when a lottery was held of properties mortgaged to the Bank of Van Diemen's Land which went bankrupt in 1891. It was won by Hedley Calvert, a retired sea captain from Sydney. Bird moved to a small farm at Lunawanna, Bruny Island, with his family. He had married in 1867 Helen, daughter of Robert Chisholm of Auckland (formerly of the Glasgow and Edinburgh Bank), and had a son, a mining surveyor; and two daughters, Ann Stafford (Mrs Smair, later Mrs. A.H. Garnsey) and Mrs. Weatherley. For more information see

Brian Robert Broughton

Brian Robert Broughton M.R.S.H. began his working life in the last livery stable to operate in Hobart, Tasmania. He then served as an able seaman (A. B.) in the last cargo-carrying squarerigged ship to visit the port, spending three of his ten years at sea in that vessel and rounding Cape Horn three times.
He spent his life as a horseman, seaman, shepherd, rigger, cabman, cl erk, hotel keeper and safety inspector and finally as a State health inspector and five years in charge of Tasmania's workplace inspectorate.

Brian Robinson Elliott

  • Person
  • 1910-1991

Brian Elliott was a graduate of the University of Adelaide (B.A. 1931) and, for 35 years, a member of the English Department of the University. His academic career was notable for his contribution to teaching and research in Australian literature. for more information see :

Bruce Charles Mollison

  • Person
  • 1928-2016

Bruce Charles "Bill" Mollison (4 May 1928 – 24 September 2016) was an Australian researcher, author, scientist, teacher and biologist. In 1981, he was awarded the Right Livelihood Award "for developing and promoting the theory and practice of permaculture". In the 1970s, Mollison researched and published extensive genealogies of Tasmanian Aborigines, enabling many to prove their lineage, and assisting the emergence of the Tasmanian Aboriginal movement.
For more information see :

Bruce Scott

  • Person

Dr Bruce Scott, BSc 1945; PhD 1956 (Tasmania); DSc Hon Silpakorn Uni (Thailand) 1986, besides teaching and research in physics and biophysics at UTAS from 1945 to 1988, also served terms as Dean of the Faculty of Science and Chairman of the Schools Board of Tasmania. He was also involved with setting up linkages between universities in South East Asia and those in Australia and continued with this into retirement. Scott was a student of McAulays during the latter part of the war and then went on to become part of the staff in 1945, gaining his PhD, with McAulay as his supervisor, in 1956
For more information see:

Buckingham Volunteer Rifle Corps

  • Corporate body

Buckingham Rifles, a Tasmanian volunteer rifle corps commanded by Captain Thomas Yardley Lowes who was original member and captain,1860-1862.

C. J. Weedon & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • 1842 -2015

Early in 1842, Mr. C. J. Weedon commenced business on his own account as an auctioneer and general merchant, and eventually had the largest auctioneer's business in Launceston. Mr. Weedon became the agent for the Derwent & Tamar Assurance Company in 1845. He was also one of the first directors of the Launceston and Western Railway; a director of the Bank of Tasmania; a member of the Legislative Council; a warden of the Marine Board and a prominent Freemason. For more information see: Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954) Tue 12 Mar 1946 Page 26 ANOTHER CENTURY-OLD LAUNCESTON FIRM

See also:

C. Piesse & Company

  • Corporate body

C. Piesse & Co, Merchants and Shipping Agents, corner of Elizabeth and Davey Streets, Hobart. The company was started in the late nineteenth century by Charles Augustus James Piesse (1850-1909), who had formerly worked with A.G. Webster and Alex McGregor & Co. He carried on the business of a shipping, forwarding and general agent including wool, skins, hops, fruit etc. His son, Leslie Fraser Piesse (1882-) succeeded him as Managing Director. The firm exported to British and Continental markets, specializing in ‘colonial’ produce, silver, lead ore, hops, grain, fur, wool, sheep &? rabbit skins (Cyclopedia of Tasmania p. 333). Charles Augustus James Piesse was born in Hobart in 1850, son of Frederick Henry Piesse and Jean Price Johnson. At his death in 1909 his son Leslie Fraser Piesse, (1882-1964) succeeded to the business.

Cadman & Sons

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/1
  • Corporate body
  • 1748-1965

The Cadman family manufactured razors in Sheffield for over 200 years. Luke Cadman registered the mark BENGALL in 1748, which was to become an international brand name. The firm occupied a number of addresses in Sheffield including premises on Surrey Street and Fargate.
The firm continued into the 1900s, though the safety and electric razor market put them under increasing financial strain. Throughout the post war period they continued a strong international trade. They exported 80-90% of their products to Australia, Japan, India and Poland. During WWII they supplied the Royal Navy with 250,000 razors.
The firm diversified into the manufacture of scissors and dissection blades after the war in an attempt to increase business. Despite these efforts, their staff reduced in number from 100 to 30. The business eventually closed in 1965 and their last workshop was on Matilda Lane. By their closure only two workmen remained, Alfred Skeels and Jack Platts, both grinders in their 60s. From:

Campbell Howard

  • Person
  • 1906–1984

Campbell Howard (1906–1984) was born in Ballarat and educated at the Sydney Teachers’ College, New England University College and the University of Melbourne. He held a number of positions in the New South Wales Department of Education. In 1956 he joined the Department of Adult Education at the University of New England. He retired, as Director of the Department, in 1972. For more information see:

Catherine Penwarne Mitchell

  • RS32
  • Person
  • 1847-1878

Catherine Penwarne (Kate) eldest daughter of John & Catherine Augusta (Keast) Mitchell married the Reverend John Aubrey Ball of Bright, Victoria, at St. John's Church, Buckland, in 1877 but died the following year and is buried at Buckland, Tasmania.

Charles Arthur

  • Person
  • 1808-1884

Charles Arthur (1808-1844), nephew and ADC of Governor George Arthur, had become acquainted with John Clark before the latter went to Launceston as Store Keeper and the two carried on a fairly lively correspondence, both being in their early twenties. Charles Arthur afterwards settled at Longford and married Mary Allen daughter of Thomas Reibey of Entally.
For more information see ;

Charles Butler

  • Person
  • 1820-1909

Charles Butler (1820-1909) came to Tasmania in 1835 at the age of fifteen and completed his education in Tasmania at Longford Hall School under William Gore Elliston for one year and then under W.H. Wilmot (d.1842) for another year. In 1838 he was articled to the solicitor Robert Pitcairn in Hobart and was admitted a lawyer of the Tasmanian Supreme Court in 1843 and after his brother Edward's death in 1849 became a partner with his father in Butler, Nutt and Butler. He was president of the Southern Law Society from its foundation in1888 until 1907. In 1847 he married Georgina Wilmot (1819?-1880), daughter of his old schoolmaster W.H. Wilmot and his wife Eliza (Best), and they had ten children: Kate Geogiana (1849-1929), Edward Henry (1851-1928), Lucy Madeleine (1852- ), Charles William (1854-1937), Francis Leicester (called Leicester 1856-1385), Ida Mary ( 1358-I 949), Leila Chalmers (1859- ), May Maria (1861- ), Herbert Maxwell (1863- · ), Montague Howard (1868-1895).

Charles Du Cane

  • 1825-1889

Sir Charles Du Cane KCMG (5 December 1825 – 25 February 1889) was a British Conservative Party politician and colonial administrator who was a Member of Parliament between 1852 and 1854 and Governor of Tasmania from 1868 to 1874.

Charles Ellis Davies

  • Person
  • 1847-1921

Sir John George Davies (1846-1913) and his brother Charles Ellis Davies (1847-1921), newspaper proprietors and politicians, were sons of John Davies, founder of the Hobart Mercury, and his wife Elizabeth, née Ellis. John George (George) was born on 17 February 1846 at Melbourne, and Charles Ellis on 13 May 1847 at Wellington, New South Wales. George was educated at the Melbourne Church of England Grammar School and The Hutchins and High schools, Hobart, before entering his father's newspaper business as office-boy. He was, however, trained as a journalist and advanced through the ranks to become general manager, though he later relinquished this position in favour of his brother. Charles was also educated at The Hutchins and High schools, graduating associate of Arts in 1865 under the Tasmanian Council of Education's tertiary scheme. He was employed by the Victorian Railways as an engineer in 1866-69 when he too joined the Mercury to be trained for management. For more information : and

Charles Gould

  • Person
  • 1834–1893

Charles Gould (1834-1893), geological surveyor, was born on 4 June 1834 in England, son of John and Elizabeth Gould. After graduating from the University of London (B.A., 1853), he won the Duke of Cornwall's exhibition at the Royal School of Mines in 1854 and a Board of Trade certificate with many first-class passes in 1856. He then travelled with his father in eastern North America early in 1857, worked with the Geological Survey of Great Britain and left for Hobart Town on 12 April 1859. His initial contract at £600 a year with travelling expenses was to make a geological survey and prepare a book on the geology of Tasmania. For more information see:

Charles Jeffreys

  • Person
  • 1782-1826

Charles Jeffreys (1782-1826), naval officer and author, was born on 16 October 1782 at Cowes, Isle of Wight, England, the son of Ninian and Mary Jeffreys. He joined the navy at 11 and served as midshipman in various ships before his passing certificate as lieutenant was issued by the Admiralty in August 1803. He was commissioned lieutenant in March 1805. In August 1810 at Lambeth, Surrey, he married Jane Gill of London. In January 1814 he arrived with her at Port Jackson in the brig Kangaroo.
Jeffreys's first commission was to transport convicts and other passengers in the Kangaroo from Port Jackson to the Derwent. After an unsuccessful attempt in May 1814 he finally sailed for the Derwent in August and arrived at Hobart Town in October.
For more information see :

Charles Meredith

  • Person
  • 1811–1880

Charles Meredith was born on 29 May 1811 in Pembrokeshire, son of George Meredith. Charles sailed with his father and other children for Van Diemen's Land and arrived in March 1821. Denied a land grant by Lieutenant-Governor Arthur, Charles moved to New South Wales in 1834 and bought sheep which he placed upon terms with pastoralists in the Murrumbidgee area. He also took up shares with W. A. Brodribb in a cattle run in the Maneroo district and in 1838 went to England. On 18 April 1839 he married Louisa Ann Twamley (1812-1895) at Old Edgbaston Church, Birmingham. They sailed for Sydney in the Letitia and arrived in September. While Charles inspected sheep stations on the Murrumbidgee Louisa stayed at Bathurst. After a few weeks in Sydney they moved to Homebush. In 1840 Charles, Louisa and a young son went to Oyster Bay, Tasmania, where his father owned Cambria. They bought an adjoining estate, Springvale, and in August 1842 moved to their newly-built house. He was elected to the House of Assembly in 1860. For more information see

Charles O'Hara Booth

  • Person
  • 1800-1851

Capt. Charles O'Hara Booth (1800 - 1851) of the 21st Fusiliers was commandant of the Convict Stations on Tasman's Peninsula from 1833 until 1844 (Civil Commander of Port Arthur and Point Puer only from 1844). It was under his command that the township of Port Arthur was laid out. As commandant of convicts he was both efficient and impartial. The Lieutenant Governors Col. Arthur and Sir John Franklin both expressed great satisfaction after visits of inspection; Arthur describing him as 'kind, humane, active and most determined'.
One of his main achievements was the establishment of a semaphore signalling system throughout the peninsula and also connected with Hobart. This provided a speedy means
of communication, especially useful for notifying constable's posts of escapes of prisoners. For this purpose he drew up a code of signals. In 1838 Booth was lost in the bush for 4 days which undermined his health. In 1844 he was appointed superintendent of the Queen's Orphan School, New Town. Booth was born in Basingstoke, England in 1800, In 1838 he
married Elizabeth Charlotte Eagle (referred to in his diary as Lizzie) step-daughter of Booth's regimental surgeon. They had two daughters, the elder, Amelia Patricia, born in 1839.
After Booth's death in 1851 his widow returned to England and petitioned for a pension.
For more information see:

Charles Page

  • Person
  • 1870-1949

Charles Service Page, second son of Alfred Page MLC, was articled to Hookey & Young of Hobart, admitted 30 October 1893 and entered into partnership with A.L Williams and opened a branch in Zeehan in 1897. He continued in the Zeehan office of Williams and Page after Williams sold his interests to Murdoch & Jones, who continued to act as Hobart agents, until he returned to Hobart about 1904 and set up practice in Collins Street. He later went into partnership with P.R. Seager. He was President of the Australian Natives Association (Hobart) 1907. He married Violet, daughter of William Burgess.

Charles Swanston

  • Person
  • 1789-1850

Charles Swanston (1789-1850), banker and merchant, was born at Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, England, the son of Robert Swanston and Rebecca, daughter of Johnston Lambert of Mordington and Margaret Handyside of Tweedmouth. At 16 he was commissioned a lieutenant in the Madras establishment of the East India Co.'s army. In November 1831 Swanston was appointed managing director of the Derwent Bank, which was established as a partnership by a group of Hobart citizens, including several officials, and first opened for business in January 1828. Although the bank at first had seven directors, a meeting of shareholders in March 1830 agreed to reduce the number to three, one of them to be a full-time salaried managing director. The first managing director of the bank was William Hamilton, who soon returned to London as the bank's representative. Charles Swanston was appointed to succeed him; on 26 November 1831 he signed a covenant with the other two directors, Hamilton and Stephen Adey, that each should hold forty of the bank's 200 shares, and should not acquire a greater number or sell shares without first offering them to the other two. When Adey went to England Swanston bought more shares, thereby gaining a majority of votes and undivided control. Under his management the Derwent Bank prospered, attracting large amounts of overseas capital for investment at high rates of interest. He was responsible for introducing the overdraft system into Australian banking in 1834, in which year he established the Derwent Savings Bank. His influence in the colony increased when he was nominated to the Legislative Council.
For more information see :

Charles Whitham

  • Person
  • 1873–1940

Journalist at heart and clerk perforce, was born in India, the son of a British Army Sergeant-Major, and came to Tasmania with his parents in 1886. Charles spent most of his working life in Queenstown, as a traffic clerk for the Mount Lyell Railway, and took an active part in cultural and community activities. for more information see:

Charlotte Lee Archer

  • Person
  • 1834-

Charlotte Lee Archer, born 1834, eldest daughter of John Lee Archer and Sophia Mattinson. She married Dr Andrew Mowbray in Melbourne on January 1854. He died on 22 November 1854. There were no children.
The widowed Charlotte married William George Gibson, (visiting magistrate, Emu Bay), a year later, on 7 December 1855. They had three children, born 1856, 1858 and 1861. Charlotte and William went to live in England. He died there in 1870, and Charlotte returned to Stanley that same year with two of their children.

Christ College

  • Corporate body
  • 1846 -

Christ College is the oldest tertiary institution in Australia and is a residential college of the University of Tasmania. The college is currently located on the University's grounds in Sandy Bay, Tasmania.
The College was opened on 1 October 1846 with the hope that it would develop along the lines of an Oxbridge college and provide the basis for university education in Tasmania. It was also intended to prepare men for the priesthood. The Hutchins School and Launceston Church Grammar School were founded at the same time to act as feeder schools to the College.
The College's first ten years (1846–1856) were at Bishopsbourne, and there is still a sign there pointing to "The College". However, it never really developed as its founders hoped, and a depression in the colony, the remote site, and financial problems led to its closure in 1856. The cedar mantelpiece in the Computer Room is the only reminder of the now demolished Bishopsbourne building.
1879 The College re-opened in Hobart in 1879 in Macquarie Street, moving to the Hobart High School premises on the Domain on a seven-year lease in 1885. There was an effort during the Macquarie Street/High School period to provide some form of higher education, but for most of the time the College was just another Hobart school, competing for students against schools like Hutchins and the Friends' School. It did, however, offer some evening classes, which may have been for more advanced students.
1892 The lease was not renewed in 1892 because of the foundation of the University of Tasmania. The University moved into the High School buildings and the College closed. There had been a move to restructure Christ College as the new university, but this was defeated by the combined Presbyterian and Roman Catholic interests who were sensitive to what they perceived as an undue Anglican influence on education.
1911 The College reopened in 1911 as the matriculation section of the Hutchins School in Macquarie Street. The accumulated College assets were used to build a special Christ College wing for the matriculation section, and to acquire the Holy Trinity Rectory in Park Street as a hostel for theological and other students.
The College also had a very close association with St Wilfrid's College, the theological training college founded at "Richmond Hill", Cressy, in 1904. The property was bequeathed to the Diocese by James Denton Toosey, one of the Trustees appointed after the College's closure at Bishopsbourne in 1856, with the request that it be used if possible for the revival of Christ College.
By the nineteen twenties, St Wilfrid's College had run into difficulties, and at the same time Launceston Grammar protested that Hutchins, because of its close connection with the College, was receiving an unfair amount of the Christ College assets. Representations were made to Parliament, and the Christ College Act was passed in 1926, holding that the matriculation sections of Hutchins and Launceston Grammar were carrying out the secular academic intentions of the College's founders, and granting them each one third of the College's assets. The remaining third, with the proceeds from the sale of the "Richmond Hill" estate, was to be devoted to upgrading the Holy Trinity rectory site to "....provide for the training of young men in theological learning and Christian doctrine for admission to holy orders in connection with the Church of England in Tasmania and, as far as its means will allow, to provide for a college or hostel for students attending the University of Tasmania."
1929 The Warden of St Wilfrid's College, William Barrett, was appointed first Warden of the new college, and he and his five theological students and twelve university students move into enlarged premises on the Park Street site in 1929. In 1933 the College was formally affiliated with the University as its first residential college.
Christ College 1971-Current, Sandy Bay
1971 When the University moved to the Sandy Bay campus in the sixties, the College followed. It was finally completed in 1971, when it also became the first Tasmanian college to take both men and women.
1991 Christ College began a new chapter in its long and significant story. The Bishop, the Board of Management and the Christ College Trust entered an agreement whereby ownership and management of the College passed to the University of Tasmania. The agreement provides for the continuation of the College in the full integrity of its Anglican traditions and heritage.
1996 The College celebrated its sesquicentenary.
2003 The administration of Christ College was taken over by Accommodation Services, which also administers St John Fisher College and the new University Apartments.
2008 The College completes its first major refurbishment initiative since moving to the Sandy Bay site.
From :

Clara Sabina Meredith

  • Person
  • 1857-1924

Second daughter of John Meredith and Maria Hammond, granddaughter of George and Mary Ann Meredith. She died on 30 August 1924, at age ~67

Claudio Alcorso

  • Person
  • 1913–2000

Claudio Alcorso (1913–2000), industrialist and winemaker, was born in Rome. In 1938 he emigrated to Sydney and established Silk and Textile Fabrics. Despite enlisting in the RAAF, he was interned as an 'enemy alien' during the Second World War. He successfully transferred his factory to Derwent Park in 1947. Alcorso was a pioneer of the Tasmanian winemaking industry, planting 90 riesling vines at his property Moorilla in the 1950s. He championed the arts through his involvement with Australian Ballet, Australian Elizabethan Theatre Trust, Tasmanian Arts Advisory Council and as chairman of Opera Australia. He was also a crusader for the environment who took an active stance in 1982 in the Franklin River protest. The Claudio Alcorso Foundation has established an annual Australia–Italy exchange fellowship in his honour. From

Clement Byrne Christesen

  • Person
  • 1911-2003

Christesen was founding editor of Meanjin Papers which was first published in 1940, following his return from overseas travel. With an offer of full-time salary and commercial support for the publication, the magazine and its editor moved to the University of Melbourne in 1945. He retired as editor in 1974. For more information see

Clifford Craig

  • Person
  • 1896-1986

Clifford was a founding member (1960) of the Tasmanian branch of the National Trust, and chairman in 1963. He helped to raise community awareness of the beauty and value of the State’s colonial buildings, and to prevent the destruction of many. When the Hobart City Council proposed to allow demolition of early houses in Davey Street to permit construction of a petrol station, he remarked: `no one will ever visit Hobart to see a petrol station’. He edited the trust’s newsletter from 1965 to 1986, apart from a break in the early 1970s. With his wife he had accumulated a collection of colonial furniture that came to be considered one of the best of its kind in Australia. Having amassed an extensive assortment of early Tasmaniana, comprising documents, books, maps and prints, he sold 2350 items at a three-day auction at Launceston in 1975. In 1979 he donated over 450 books on the history of medicine to the Launceston hospital. For more information see:

Clive Sansom

  • Person
  • 1910-1981

Clive Sansom (1910-1981), poet and speech educator, was born at Finchley, North London, in 1910. He worked as a clerk and salesman in London and studied speech and drama under Marjorie Gullan at the Polytechnic, Regent Street, and the Speech Institute (1930-35) and phonetics under Professor Daniel Jones at University College, London (1935-6). He lectured in speech training at Borough Road Training College, Isleworth, and the Speech Fellowship (1937-9) and edited the Speech Fellowship Bulletin (1934-49). He was instructor in the Drama School of the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) and examiner in speech and spoken poetry. In 1937 he married a fellow student and speech teacher, Ruth Large from Tasmania. Although neither was at the time a Quaker, they were married in the Friends Meeting House at Winchmore Hill. They were both interested in the Society of Friends and had attended a few Meetings. Clive's teacher and friend, Marjorie Gullan, was a Quaker. Soon they both joined the Friends. Clive Sansom contributed poems and articles to Friends' journals and studied religious topics. During the war Clive, as a conscientious objector to war, did land work, partly based on "Spicelands" a Quaker Centre for special "war work". In 1949 Clive and Ruth Sansom travelled to Hobart to visit Ruth's family and decided to settle in Tasmania. Clive was appointed, with Ruth, Supervisor of Speech Education for the Tasmanian Education Department and was responsible for the Speech Centre 1950 - 1965 and was also examiner in speech and drama for the A.M.E.B. He and Ruth broadcast and wrote scripts for the ABC. programs for primary schools. Clive also wrote or edited a number of short plays for schools. Clive Sansom's main works included In the midst of death, (1940), The unfailing Spring (1942), Passion Play (a novel based on the Oberammergau passion play, 1950), The Witnesses (Festival of Britain prize winning poem 1951), The World turned upside down (a morality play, 1948), The Cathedral (1958), performed in Salisbury for that Cathedral's 700th anniversary 1961), Dorset Village (1962), Swithun of Winchester (produced in Winchester Cathedral for the 100th anniversary of the translation of St. Swithun 1971), Francis of Assisi (performed in Winchester Cathedral 1978, published 1981). He also wrote or edited a number of works for schools, including Adventures in words with Rodney Bennett (1936), Speech rhymes, Acting rhymes, Counting rhymes, Story rhymes, (1942-80) Speech and commucation in the primary school (1965) etc. and edited a number of anthologies, such as The poet speaks (with Marjorie Gullan 1940), The English Heart (1946). He published a number of poems and short stories in periodicals and newspapers from the 1930s onwards. Clive was also interested in conservation and was patron of the Wilderness Society. The papers consist of drafts and typescripts of his works (and some published copies) together with research notes, news cuttings, extracts from historical studies etc. on the background of his topics; correspondence with his literary agent, publishers and broadcasters, and cuttings of review notices.

Colin Arthur Roderick

  • Person
  • 1911-2000

Colin Roderick was a writer, editor, academic and educator. He is perhaps best remembered for promoting the study of Australian literature (at a time when it attracted little academic interest), and also for his biographical and critical studies of Henry Lawson.He was one of the original judges for the Miles Franklin Award. He remaied a judge from the first award in 1957 to 1991. Roderick played a significant role during his life in promoting Australian literature through much of the mid to late 20th century. He was an editor (and later director) of Australia’s then premier publisher of Australian literature, Angus & Robertson, for around 20 years. He had a role in the movement to establish a chair in Australian literature at Sydney University and the creation of the Foundation of Australian Literary Studies (and the associated annual Colin Roderick Award and Colin Roderick Lecture) in 1966. For mor information see

Colin Wendell Smith

  • Person
  • 1926-2015

Professor of anatomy at the University of Tasmania 1968

Cotton Family

  • Family

Francis Cotton (1801-1883) arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1828 with his wife Anna Maria (1800-1882 nee Tilney), five children and his friend Dr. George Fordyce Story (1800-1885). After working as a builder for six months he settled at Great Swanport on the East Coast, naming his property Kelvedon after Anna Maria's birthplace in Essex, U.K.
Francis Cotton was born in Shoreditch, London, in 1801, son of Thomas and Mary Cotton. He was brought up as a Quaker (member of the Society of Friends) and educated at Ackworth Friends School. He was then apprenticed to a builder as a carpenter and, as his master, John Farrar, was a citizen of London and member of a City of London Livery Company, the Drapers Company, he was entitled, after completing his apprenticeship, to join the Drapers Company and be admitted a citizen, or "freeman" of the City of London and his certificate of admission is dated 10 February 1825.
In 1820 Francis Cotton married Anna Maria Tilney, daughter of John Shelton Tilney of Chelmsford, shopkeeper, and his wife Susannah. Francis and Anna Maria were both Quakers but were both disowned by their Meetings for marrying without the approval of the Meetings and they were only reinstated some years later, after the Quaker missionaries James Backhouse and George Washington Walker visited Tasmania. They both, however, lived according to Quaker principles and Francis later made several visits "of concern" to Quakers in New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria.
The family's first home on the East Coast was a sod hut at Waterloo Point (Swansea), but this burnt down with all the stores and equipment they had brought from England. A temporary cottage was then built on the property and was extended over the years as the family increased. The land was comparatively poor and required hard work to develop and was several times raided by aborigines. However, Francis prospered, developing fine fleeces for export to England, supplying meat and wheat to Government convict and military stations and later trading wattle bark and apples. Further land was acquired for the sons, including the Grange and Earlham properties. One of the younger sons, Edward Octavius, helped to work Kelvedon and eventually inherited it.
Nine more children were born at Swanport, fourteen altogether including two daughters who died soon after birth. Most of the sons remained in Tasmania, married and settled on property of their own. Son Tilney (1836-1914), however, went to South Australia, where the climate suited his chest better, settled at Streaky Bay and married Ann Allen in 1860. Son James Backhouse (1834-1906) did not marry but remained at Kelvedon until he accompanied Hannah Hall on missionary journeys and in 1882 returned with her to Canada and the USA. Two sons, George and Thomas, slightly shocked their mother by marrying Catholic servants of the family. George, who for a time served as a police officer, and his wife Margaret (Connell) later settled in the north-east. Thomas who married Bridget Burke in 1857 remained on the East coast at Grongar Hill and his mother came to accept that "there is much that is good about Bridget" who died in 1868 leaving five young children. Francis Cotton jr. of the Grange committed suicide in May 1872 One of the daughters, Mary, married William May of South Australia and lived near Adelaide until they came to settle in Tasmania.
The eldest daughter, Anna Maria (1823-1856, called Maria) married in 1842 Joseph Benson Mather, Clerk of the Hobart Meeting of Friends and a draper. Letters from the Cotton family to J.B. Mather were given to Frances Cotton by his grandchildren (Misses E.J . AND M.F. Robey) and these have also been deposited (ref.DX20). Anna Maria's letters from 1837 gave J.B. Mather many requests for shopping for supplies of food, clothing household goods and furniture etc. for her large family. Cloth for the children's clothes needed to be hard wearing and also dark coloured, to spare washing - in 1839 she was putting "all the girls and boys from George down to little Teddy into tartan with the intention of sparing washing the coming winter". Her letters give a lively picture of the life of a pioneer settler family. Francis' letters, from 1862, also include requests for household supplies and also business commissions relating to the sale of farm produce and include information on the farm work, business and trade, and local affairs and also Quaker matters. (See Frances Cotton, Kettle on the Hob: a family in Van Diemen's Land 1825 - 1885 (1986).
Dr George Fordyce Story (1800-1885), Francis Cotton's friend, settled with them and lived with the family at Kelvedon, acting as medical practitioner to the district and to the family. He was a keen botanist, member of the Royal Society of Tasmania and for a short time its secretary and supervisor of the Gardens. He collected specimens for and exchanged correspondence with Ferdinand van Mueller of the Melbourne Botanic gardens. Dr Story also made some mission journeys for the Society of Friends in Tasmania and the mainland. His papers have also been deposited (ref: C7) .

Cradle Mountain Reserve Board

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-1947

In 1947 the Lake St Clair Scenic Reserve was added to the Cradle Mountain Reserve to create a new National Park and a new Board was constituted to administer it.

Creator (ISAD 3.2.1)

Example fonds Creator history (ISAD 3.2.2). Note that this will be added to the related authority record for Creator (ISAD 3.2.1).

Cressy Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1825-1855

The Cressy Company, or New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land Establishment, was a private partnership of seven members, formed in London in 1825. It was initiated by Bartholomew Thomas, whose brother was the Colonial Treasurer of Van Diemen's Land. Encouraged to think they would receive large land grants in Van Diemen's Land and New South Wales and exclusive rights to supply both governments with horses, the Company hastily organised an impressive expedition which contained Cleveland and Flemish horses, Shorthorn and Hereford cattle, Merino, Leicester and Southdown sheep and 'necessary implements'. They engaged 'scientific farmers', grooms and shepherds, chartered a ship, and arrived in Hobart in 1826. More than half their animals had died on the voyage.
For more information see :

Cygnet Cooperative Canning Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1937-

In 1937 a group of apple farmers around Cygnet were frustrated at how hard it was to make a living off the land. The prices they were being offered by private processing companies were below the cost of production. They decided it was time for action and called a public meeting at Cygnet Town Hall. The government of the day told the meeting that if 100 farmers each put in 10 pounds, they would help them to finance their own processing facility. Within 3 days 100 farmers had agreed and the Cygnet Co-operative Canning Society was born. For more information see:

Dan Sprod

  • Person
  • 1924-

Dan Sprod was born in South Australia in 1924. He served in the Royal Australian Navy (1942-46), attended Adelaide University and graduated Bachelor of Arts (1948-50), before joining the National Library in 1951. He held a number of senior positions, including Liaison Officer, New York (1957-60), Chief Cataloguer (1964-65) and Principal Librarian, User Services (1966). Upon leaving the National Library, he was appointed University Librarian, Morris Miller Library, University of Tasmania in 1966 and held this position until his resignation on 31 July 1976. For more information see:

Daniel Ellis

  • Person
  • c1806-1890

Daniel Ellis, trade quarry man and carter, was convicted in 1829 and transported to Van Diemens Land. In 1834 he was sentenced to a further 7 years at Port Arthur.

David Blair

  • Person
  • 1820-1899

David Blair (1820-1899), journalist, was born on 4 June 1820 in County Monaghan, Ireland, son of Thomas Blair, soldier, and his wife Jane, née Burns, both of Scottish descent.
For more information see :

David Burn

  • Person
  • 1799–1875

David Burn (1799?-1875), settler and author, author of the first Australian drama to be performed on stage, The Bushrangers, was born in Scotland, the son of David Burn and his wife, Jacobina, née Hunter (1763-1851). After her husband's death, she sailed from Portsmouth in the Westmoreland and arrived in Hobart Town in May 1821. With help from Governor Lachlan Macquarie she became the first woman to be granted land in Van Diemen's Land, taking it near Hamilton and calling it Ellangowan. In February 1824 she was granted 500 adjoining acres (202 ha) and next year applied for more. By 1829 she had 2000 acres (809 ha) by grant, 1200 (486 ha) by purchase, 2000 sheep, 150 cattle and many other assets, but a further application was refused, because her existing grants had not been improved.
Burn died in prosperous circumstances at Auckland on 14 June 1875, he had two children and was married twice. He was a prodigious writer and many of his manuscripts are preserved at the Mitchell library, Sydney, including his reminiscences and diaries. He was also author of Van Diemen's Land, Moral, Physical and Political, and Strictures on the Navy.
For more information see:

David Marshall

  • Person
  • 1846- 1919

Born 27 January 1846 at Richmond Tasmania fifth child of George Marshall and Mary Palmer. Married Helen Pillans Jackson on 14th February 1884 at Ross. They had one child George Douglas Marshall. David Marshall died on the 16th September 1919 at Hobart and was buried in the Scots Uniting Church cemetery, Montague Street, Sorell

David Vincent Gunn

  • Person
  • unknown

Mayor of Launceston 1974-1975

Davies Brothers Pty Ltd

  • Corporate body
  • 1854 -

The Mercury began in 1853 when John Davies, a former convict, bought a Hobart newspaper, the Guardian, and the following year renamed it the Hobarton Mercury. It first appeared as a tri-weekly, and the Mercury has provided news for Hobartians ever since, with numerous changes: it took over five other newspapers; became a daily (1858); published subsidiaries, notably the Illustrated Tasmanian Mail (1877 - 1935), the Saturday Evening Mercury (1954 - 84) and the Sunday Tasmanian from 1984

Davies Brothers was taken over by News Limited in 1985, bringing to an end the newspaper business run by the Davies family since 1854. The Mercury will relocate from its original site in Macquarie Street, in August 2012. Its present art deco building dating from 1940 will be sold.

Derwent Bank

  • Corporate body
  • 1827-1849

The Derwent Bank was established in 1827 and opened for business on 1 January 1828 in Davey Street, Hobart, with a staff of two, the cashier Stephen Adey and the accountant John Leake of Rosedale, Campbell Town. William Henry Hamilton was appointed managing director in 1830 but retred in 1832 and was replaced by Charles Swanston (1789-1850), a former Captain in the Indian Army. Swanston also carried on business as an import and export agent in wool, tea, sugar, rum, etc. The bank failed in 1849 and John Walker, merchant and mill owner of Hobart, acted as liquidator.

DeWitt Clinton Ellinwood Jr.

  • Person
  • 1923-2012

Historian and teacher, born in Peoria, Illinois, USA. He was a historian of India and the British Empire who pursued interests in the history of India's military. He grew up in various small towns in Illinois where his father was a Methodist minister. He received his bachelor's degree from Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa in 1945. He subsequently earned a
master's degree at Cornell University in 1952 and completed his PhD degree at Washington University in St. Louis in 1962. His dissertation was "Lord Milner's 'kindergarten', the British Round Table Group, and the Movement for Imperial Reform, 1910-1918." DeWitt taught briefly at Ohio University, Washington University in St. Louis and National College in Kansas City, but in 1962 he joined thefaculty of the State University of New York at Albany, where he would spend the rest of his career until retirement in 1992. He taught courses on British and Indian history. His research interests centered on aspects of the life and roles of Indian soldiers under the British and related subjects. He was a frequent participant in academic conferences; I beieve I first me him at an AAS conference in the late 1960s, and enjoyed his conversations at many meetings later. He had an interest and participation in a number of organizations focused upon social concerns including the American Civil Liberties Union, Planned Parenthood, and the Peace and Justice Committee of the Capital Area Council of Churches. He was a life-long member of the Methodist Episcopal/United Methodist Church and took great joy in singing in the choir at the McKownville Methodist Church. For more informations see:
Published in Albany Times Union from Apr. 1 to Apr. 2, 2012

Dietrich Borchardt

  • Person
  • 1916-1997

Born in Hanover, Germany, to Jewish parents, Borchardt escaped Nazism via Italy and emigrated to New Zealand. There he studied at Victoria University, Wellington, and graduated with a BA in 1944 and an MA in 1947. He gained a library diploma from the New Zealand Library School.
He was Acquisitions Librarian at the University of Otago Library in 1949 to 1950. He was appointed as deputy librarian (1950–52) and then chief librarian (1953–1965) at the University of Tasmania. He also tutored in modern languages at that university.
For more information see :

Domain House

  • Corporate body
  • 1849 -present

Originally built in 1849 as the High School of Hobart Town by a group of gentleman connected with the Presbyterian and free churches. The object of the institution, as originally described, was 'the instruction of youth in the higher brances of learning, as taught in superior classical and mathematical schools in England', the ultimate object being 'to confer on Australian youth the inestimable advantages of an European University'. The school opened in 1850 and 56 boys were enrolled in the first quarter. For more information see

Donald George Rockcliff

  • Person
  • d. 1981

Donald George Rockcliff of Sassafras (d. 1981). He matriculated from Devonport State High School in 1926 and gained his B.Sc. in 1932 and B.E. in 1933. He was a member of the T.U. Rifle Club, shooting the fourth highest score in the Inter-Varsity match in 1932, for which he was awarded a full blue. He was also a member of the Combined Universities Rifle Team against Victoria in March 1932 and was thus one of the first entitled to wear ‘A.U.S.A.’ on his blazer badge. In 1934 he broke a record in the I.V. match in Hobart which Tasmania University Rifle Club won. For photographs of the T.U.R.C. teams see UT 367/1-7

Dorothy Gregory

Dorothy Gregory was an English Friend who taught at Friend's School in the 1940's, died in Australian early 1960s

Douglas Mawson

  • Person
  • 1882–1958

Sir Douglas Mawson (5 May 1882–14 October 1958) was an Australian geologist, Antarctic explorer, and academic. Along with Roald Amundsen, Robert Falcon Scott, and Ernest Shackleton, he was a key expedition leader during the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration. The Mawson Station in the Australian Antarctic Territory is named in his honour. For more information see

Duncan Ballantine

  • Person
  • 1787-1867

Duncan Ballantine, chief district constable and pound keeper at New Norfolk, received a grant of land in the Derwent Valley above New Norfolk.

Duncan Loane Pty.

  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1981

Duncan Loane Pty., general merchants, was founded in Devonport in 1910 by Duncan Loane, formerly Devonport manager for A.G. Webster & sons. On his retirement in 1922 the firm was made into a proprietary company. Directors included W.H. Edwards, managing director, G.C. Walch, R.l.D. Loane etc. The firm dealt especially in farm machinery, holding a number of agencies for overseas firms, such as Ransome & Sims of England, as well as Australian firms, including water pumps by wind mill and electric or diesel rams. They also dealt in fertilisers, fencing wires, corn sacks, gates, etc. and act as agents for insurance.

For more information see$002f$002fARCHIVES_AGENCIES$002f0$002fNG1031/one

Earnest Ewart Unwin

  • Person
  • 1881-1944

Earnest Ewart Unwin (1881-1944) was Headmaster of Friends' School 1924-1944. Unwin was Quaker educationist, was born on 13 July 1881 at Folkestone, Kent, England, son of Uriah John Unwin, bricklayer, and his wife Sophia Jane, née Martin. He was educated at the Quaker schools of Saffron Walden and Ackworth, and graduated (B.Sc., 1901) at the University of Leeds. He taught at Ackworth in 1901-04, became a lecturer in science at the University of Leeds, gained his M.Sc. in 1908 and from 1908 to 1912 taught at Bootham School, York. On 7 April 1910 he married Ursula Dymond Thorp at The Friends' Meeting House, Carlton Hill, Leeds. In 1912 Unwin became senior science master at the Quaker school, Leighton Park, Reading; his first book, Pond Problems (Cambridge, 1914), was a science textbook for schools. As a conscientious objector during World War I, he was given leave to teach and published two more books, As a Man Thinketh (London, 1919) and Religion and Biology (London, 1922).

In 1923 Unwin answered what he felt was a 'call to service' in Australia by accepting the headmastership of the co-educational Friends' School in Hobart, a position which he was to hold until his death. The years 1923-44 witnessed major growth in the school. Unwin embarked on an ambitious rebuilding plan in which he enlisted substantial financial support from English Quakers. He brought a new dynamic of educational leadership to his school and to education in Tasmania, introducing new subjects of art, physiology and botany to the senior school curriculum, and giving priority to science in his building plans. A gifted water-colour artist and teacher of art, he was also a pioneer in the field of educational broadcasting. For more information see

Ebenezer Shoobridge

  • Person
  • 1820-1901

Ebenezer Shoobridge (1820-1901) purchased Bushy Park, an estate of some 2000 acres from Mr Humphry in 1865. He introduced hop growing (hops having been first introduced to Tasmania by his father William Shoobridge) and fruit orchards, principally apples. There was also a dairy farm and some grain and root crops. His eldest son William Ebenezer Shoobridge (1846-1940) pioneered irrigation, built hop kilns, cottages etc. and experimented with methods of pruning fruit trees, introducing the "pyramid principle" which allowed the sun to shine on all fruit equally. Both father and son were J.P.s and served on local councils and committees and supported the Wesleyan Church.

Economic Society of Australia and New Zealand. Tasmanian Branch

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-

The Tasmanian Branch of the Economic Society of Australia was formed in November 1924 at a meeting convened by L.F. Giblin (Tasmanian Government Statistician) and J.B. Brigden (Chair of Economics at the University of Tasmania) and D.B Copland (the pioneer of Economics at the University of Tasmania and its previous chair). A week later the branch's constitution was adopted and the then Governor of Tasmania, Sir James O'Grady was elected as its president. For more information see

Results 101 to 200 of 873